Final Fantasy XII

How do you guys feel about this game?

I like it, desu
But I also like a bunch of games that the rest of Sup Forums hates, so...

Favorite FF

It plays itself extremely well

Love it. My favorite FF. Only some of the hate is justified, but the combat, art, and music is great

Boring as fuck.

I like it

Why do people hate it honestly? I must be super ignorant to this

Dull trash
Is the Zodiac version any better?

Story is pretty flat. Half the characters are great the other half don't need to be there. Star Wars rip off. Huge exploratory world. Bounty hunts are great. Comfy music. Pretty graphics. Frans butt.

8/10

>Music is great
>Not Uematsu or Hamauzu
It has the weakest post III soundtrack.

>Needs more plot/exposition/cutscenes during the stretch from Bur-Omisace to Archadia.
>Some of the dungeons are annoyingly long and large.
>IZJS needs better balanced distribution of skills (some classes really only use the Attack command and nothing else). Really, the whole game could use more abilities from the main games and Tactics games. Many more.

So not as good as V, VI, VII, X, XI, or XIV in terms of mainline. Still solid, though. And I'd personally rank III and VIII above it, maybe IX as well. Wasn't a big fan of a ambient-esque music either.

It's my favorite mainline FF game but it is most certainly not without its problems.

It needed better character diversity. You can't have such a plethora of other races running about and then not let me play any of them.

The gambit system made the battles too easy and was highly abuseable. So I just didn't use it.

The generic have everyone the same build by maxing out the license board was boring, but was remedied in IZJS.

Aside from that I thought it was fantastic.

>XI and XIV good or being ranked at all
>IX not GOAT
wew lad

I like it a lot. It's not my favourite FF game, but it's pretty high up there.

There are some shitty things about it (fuck randomized chests, and the pacing of the story is pretty terrible), but it's mostly pretty great.

Strongly dislike it, the only JRPG I've ever had to force myself to finish.

>Combat system is a poor copy of FF11 with the important mechanics removed
>Story kept at arms length for most of the game
>Music for the most part is messy

Gambits were amazing but mostly wasted in such a bland combat system.

To be fair any FF is better than VIII.

The death knell of a once-great series.

Sakaguchi: "I just played the beginning. You really can't expect much from the game when Yasumi Matsuno, a crucial member of the team, leaves in the middle of development."

Not really. It does have speed up mode though.

I thought IZJS was kinda weak on the liscense boards. Too bare for some classes.

Flopped right after Disc 1. Went from fantastic to average. Mostly for gameplay and pacing reasons. However, once you finally get to the 2nd contintent things get better. Other contintents were wasted potential.

XI is pretty much the best Final Fantasy experience and home to the series best OST. It's also where the XII crew tried to get most of their combat ideas from but they really fucked up in terms of the threat system, lack of teamwork(skillchains) and the 3 person party that couldn't run a pseudo MMO class system properly.

XIV is a cheap knockoff unfortunately.

XI was the most I've ever had.

I could only finish it in 10-15 minute chunks once per week. (My fourteenth and final attempt took eleven months.) I despise it, but also consider it the one FF I hate, that can appeal to a totally different player, so in that sense it's a good game. Although I always wonder why said players don't play Baldur's Gate instead, since it has a much better real time with pause gameplay and variety.

Ashe's ass, some of the architecture and the Phon Coast theme (which was in the demo, which explains it) were good.

>Star Wars rip off.
Every Final Fantasy, save the first.

Best mainline game imo.

Every Matsuno game > every non-Matsuno game.

> I always wonder why said players don't play Baldur's Gate instead,
Bauldur's Gate has empty maps full of nothing and pitiful single-screen dungeons. Honestly it does not share much of the same exploration appeal that FF12 has.
> it has a much better real time with pause gameplay
Hell no. You can't even directly control the movement of your characters. You click and hope they decide to go where you ordered them to in a timely manner (they won't.) The interface is amazingly clunky and the primary control device of the platform, the keyboard, is critically underused even though decent keyboard controls could have saved the shit interface.
The old console menu and cursor interface of FF12 may not be perfect but it's way more sane than that bloody mess.

I can't see why you'd compare the two games, there's next to no similarities.

I thought it was amazing at the time. Soundtrack really stands out to me. I beat it like 4 times and 100% it twice. The grind hooked me at the time. Too bad summons are useless and the overdrives were so lame.

Last playthrough i kinda binged on it and quit playing after losing my first attempt at yiazmat fight that playthrough. 2 years later i decided i should sell my ps2 since all my fave games got hd releases anyway.. i booted the game and crushed the yiazmat in a pretty speedy fight. The closure was pretty satisfying.

Offline MMO combat. Hating that half the party is practically irrelevant to the story. Hating large expanses of nothing (Ogir-Yensa Sandsea, the lighthouse, the SEWERS, and lest we forget that one fucking crystal).

Also the drops rates are shit for most items and being screwed out of an easy zodiac spear because FUCK YOU THAT'S WHY obviously pissed a lot of people off.

But damn it is comfy as fuck.

the best FF they've ever made in terms of gameplay, which the most important thing

soon to be surpassed by XV

Indifferent, combat and characters never clicked with me

even 13?
Though I definitely agree that 8 is one of the weakest mainline titles, fuck that time travel storyline and combat system. Even 2 with its wonky stat growth system had a plot that wasn't timey wimey romance BS

I think you learn pretty fast to pause a second into their walk cycle to click their destination again, so the pathfinding can take the fastest route that is no longer blocked by another character.

>why

Well my experience with XII was that when the Gambits don't instantly kill everything, you're pausing a lot to designate targets and spells, which you're doing all the time in BG, making it a more engaging experience to the player. Also BG doesn't have that infuriating magic queue/capacity that tunnels you into auto-attacking instead.

The overworld is a whole sliced into squares, where you're free to pick a direction and go there if you wish. I don't really feel any more narratively engaged in XII's overworld. Also I think Every square in BG had something.

Calling the dungeons single-screen seems quite misleading since they have several different single-screens. To the point, I wouldn't call BG's dungeons small.