Nintendo's worst console

>every first party sequel to N64 games were lower quality except for Melee
>looks like a purple lunchbox for babies
>only console of that generation to use a cheap top-loader from beginning to end
>every multiplatform game except those that started out as gamecube exclusives (e.g. resident evil 4) look worse on gamecube than PS2 probably because the gamecube is weaker hardware
>nintendo used mini-disks for absolutely no good reason, except to make them easier to use for tiny toddler hands, resulting in lower storage space and no DVD movie capability
>controller is absolutely garbage for everything except platformers and adventure games (tiny fucking d-pad and awkward button placement overall)
>third parties completely gave up hope on gamecube from 2004 onwards, no ports abandoned, etc
>most of the non-first party exclusives aren't that exciting, REmake is just a fucking remake, rogue squadron was never good, virtually no hidden gems unlike Wii
>nintendo didn't give a fuck about online

Other urls found in this thread:

wars.locopuyo.com/cwsystemspecsold.php
segatech.com/gamecube/overview/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Opinions
>Implying the handle wasn't the greatest addition to a console ever made
>Top loader never breaks or jams a disk because it's fucking amazing unlike shitty disk trays
>Opinions
>Implying mini-disks were not cute as fuck and easy to distinguish between other discs at a quick glance
>IM-FUCKING-PLYING ANYTHING ABOUT THE GOD-TIER CONTROLLER
>Nintendo never had third parties
>See above
>Implying anyone except Sony gave a fuck about online and even then it was one game that entire generation

Sage for stupid thread.

>probably because the gamecube is weaker hardware

Stopped reading there.

It was though

>Weak hardware
>Shit controller
The controller part is subjective even if I strongly disagree but the GameCube was the most powerful of the 3

>the GameCube was the most powerful of the 3

lmao, wasn't even close to the original xbox

>not liking opinions

found the 90's kid®

>every multiplatform game except those that started out as gamecube exclusives (e.g. resident evil 4) look worse on gamecube than PS2

Gamecube graphics were fine, stfu, did you even own a gamecube back then?

all i remember about gamecube graphics is low resolution transparent textures compared to ps2 and xbox, and usually very simple lighting effects (no more than 1 global light source)

pretty pathetic really, xbox blew it out of the water, gamecube was struggling on the same level as the PS2 which was 2 years older lmao

Lol this cherry picked shit

Why don't you try looking up the best arguments of your opponents? Or are you scared you'll learn something?

you can't rewrite history. Resident Evil looked way better on Gamecube. It was the best system.

Google Rebel Strike, particularly the Endor level.

>rogue squadron
I've never seen such a disgusting opinion.

0/10

See me after class.

GameCube actually consistently had better graphics than ps2. Just go check how many games on ps2 rendered in 480p compared to GCN.

the mini discs were used so that they were more difficult to rip. Nintendo saw what happened to Dreamcast where nobody bought games for it because they just ripped them.

Compare load times between ps2 and gcn. Cube btfo ps2.

Take it from me kiddo ps2 might have been the shit back in the day but looking back the true gems were Xbox and gcn. Xbox basically created online play for consoles and also had games that went up to 720p. GCN had one of the most underrated libraries(eternal darkness, double dash, chibi robo etc). Also has a game that is still played competitively today and has yet to be matched in terms of complexity.

True, I do go back to my Gamecube more than my PS2. I don't have an Xbox so I can't really say, but I liked some of the games I saw on it.

>Resident Evil looked way better on Gamecube
as in OP it was a gamecube exclusive ported to PS2

i've played rebel strike and nothing i said was wrong

low resolution transparent explosions that look like shit and only 1 global light source

90s kids are people born in the early to mid-80s. You mean 90s babies, 00s kids.

>Why don't you try looking up the best arguments of your opponents?

What possible arguments can exist in favor of Gamecube hardware? All the really important stuff has been covered in that picture and the PS2 is faster. You know clock speed doesn't mean shit by itself right?

>Had less exclusives than the 64 despite getting rid of most of it's flaws and still being more powerful than the PS2
>N64 outperformed it in sales selling 33 million units compared to Gamecubes 22 million

Gamecube was actually a disaster

>Nintendo saw what happened to Dreamcast where nobody bought games for it because they just ripped them.

That really wasn't a big issue at the time. Yeah some people had copied games but late 90s internet and CD burner speeds prevented it from being a widespread issue while the Dreamcast was current.

N64 wasn't exactly setting the world on fire either. The PS1 outsold it by like 70 million units. If it weren't for its popularity in North America, the N64 would have been at Wii U levels.

>these autistic opinions
>muh hardware

Irrelevant

The Playstation has no gaems meme started at PS2, and for good reason, everything past PS1 has been mistake after mistake

The Emotion Engine sucked, Gamecube's Gekko wiped the floor with it. Also, Gamecube can do a whole lot more in image processing. Hell even Dreamcast beats PS2 in image processing. It really wasn't a very impressive console power wise. In some ways yes, its float processing was impressive, and it had a built in DVD player. But mostly everything else was beaten out by Gamecube. It's a myth that PS2 was more powerful, and more that still gets spread to this day.

wars.locopuyo.com/cwsystemspecsold.php

You're forgetting Virtual Boy.

Get the fuck of here newfag.

>every first party sequel to N64 games is straight up better in every single way
>is purple (cool kind not gay kind)
>only console of that generation to use an economical top-loader
>was able to miraculously run multiplatform games perfectly despite weaker hardware
>mini discs make your manhands look even larger and better
>controller is the best of any console of all time and also 90% completely invincible
>so cool that third parties didn't dare to sully it
>literally only great games
>nintendo knew they didn't even need online to be the best

>The Emotion Engine sucked, Gamecube's Gekko wiped the floor with it.

Emotion Engine contains 1 CPU core, 1 FPU capable of SIMD and 2 powerful vector units.

Gecko just has 1 CPU core and 1 FPU that can't even do proper SIMD just paired singles, Gecko is the actual piece of shit.

>wars.locopuyo.com/cwsystemspecsold.php
This was written by somebody who is technically illiterate and has absolutely no comprehension of how hardware works. It is equivalent to a hardware guide written by a 12 year old on GameFAQs.

GameCube had its faults but overall it was a huge improvement over the N64's small, limited library. Nintendo actually went out and tried to court third parties again which resulted in some great exclusives. Regardless of whether or not you think Mario and Zelda are better on N64, their first party output on the GameCube was a major creative peak. It's easily my favorite Nintendo console.

Xbox even serves a purpose as a great emulation box now. It's got a handful of very solid titles. It also set the standard for internal hard drives. Xbox and GameCube are the gems of that gen. Ps2's are riddled with problems and will eventually blow up on you.

This was actually a very big issue. People were copying PS1 and dreamcast games by the dozen. Europe has a massive problem with this that wouldn't even see an end when the ps2 was dropped.

Nintendo themselves has said that the use of mini discs was a way to combat piracy.

>Implying anyone except Sony gave a fuck about online and even then it was one game that entire generation

Considering how much of an impact online gaming made on console gaming, I'd argue Sony had some pretty fucking good foresight.

>Europe has a massive problem with this

Ah okay. I was giving my perspective as an American. It wasn't as big a deal here due to our shitty internet speeds. It would have taken forever for me to download a Dreamcast iso back then.

I'd argue it was Microsoft that had foresight. The Xbox came fully equipped with an ethernet cable port right from the start.

Gekko is PowerPC, there's no way it's weaker than Emotion Engine.

this is my favorite console of all time. ask me anything.

Similar to PS3, the PS2 suffered from having a complicated proprietary chipset that only a handful of developers bothered to really dig into.

>Nintendo saw what happened to Dreamcast where nobody bought games for it because they just ripped them.

Nobody bought games for the Dreamcast because nobody bought the console in the first place. They burnt up all of their goodwill with shitty gimmick consoles and royally fucking up with the Saturn, which coincidentally is something Nintendo is doing right now.

You also had to pay a sub fee for XBOX Live, which ended up being a bit more pricey than a PS2 adapter.

Also, looking at this overview, there are other specs omitted which do beat out PS2.

segatech.com/gamecube/overview/

Its image processing function beats the shit out of PS2's.

>things a faggot would say

Gamecube is in fact my least favorite Nintendo system.

>Gekko is PowerPC, there's no way it's weaker than Emotion Engine.

I don't follow. While I agree that the main PowerPC integer pipeline in Gecko is faster than the MIPS integer pipeline in Emotion Engine, you have to remember that Emotion Engine is actually a composite of several independently functioning cores. For example, it contains two vector units while Gecko doesn't have anything like that.

Also, Nintendo really cheaped out on the FPU in Gecko. It only supports 'paired singles' and not true PowerPC SIMD (which is called AltiVec). On the other hand, the FPU in Emotion Engine is fully capable of SIMD.

So in summary, Gecko is faster than Emotion Engine in a fairly insignificantly way, while Emotion Engine is a lot faster generally speaking.

>there are other specs omitted which do beat out PS2.

Like what? I don't see anything on that page to indicate that.

>>every first party sequel to N64 games were lower quality except for Melee
Wind Waker, Sunshine, and have to love that quality N64 Metroid.
>>looks like a purple lunchbox for babies
Actually released its other color versions outside of Japan.
>>only console of that generation to use a cheap top-loader from beginning to end
Didn't cause any functional issues.
>>every multiplatform game except those that started out as gamecube exclusives (e.g. resident evil 4) look worse on gamecube than PS2 probably because the gamecube is weaker hardware
Stronger than the PS2 in some respects see Spiderman 2 for details.
>>nintendo used mini-disks for absolutely no good reason, except to make them easier to use for tiny toddler hands, resulting in lower storage space and no DVD movie capability
Anti-piracy measure and a dumb move so you almost got one.
>>controller is absolutely garbage for everything except platformers and adventure games (tiny fucking d-pad and awkward button placement overall)
I'll grant you this. The push for analogue was a good idea, and its shape was decent, but overall it was only good when comparing to the rubbish N64 controller.
>>third parties completely gave up hope on gamecube from 2004 onwards, no ports abandoned, etc
Capcom and Konami made more of a return on this than the N64.
>>most of the non-first party exclusives aren't that exciting, REmake is just a fucking remake, rogue squadron was never good, virtually no hidden gems unlike Wii
Thats some trolling. GCN is the Nintendo Dreamcast.
>>nintendo didn't give a fuck about online
True. And they still do it poorly as fuck. As do all the consoles.

You almost made some points. If you want to trash bad hardware design that affected the end product, aim for the N64.

>Stronger than the PS2 in some respects see Spiderman 2 for details.

hmmm

>Fzero X better than Fzero GX

I love em both but man.....

Man I love the GameCube's design. It just makes me happy. Shame North America never got spice orange except for the controller.

>awkward button placement overall
Go fuck yourself. The button placement was one of the things the controller excelled at. Why every new controller goes for the uniform indistinguishable buttons I'll never know. It's seriously inergonomic.

Its main memory seems to be better

They all look like grainy and horrible.

>Its main memory seems to be better

There's less of it (24 MB vs 32 MB) and it runs slower than PS2's memory (2.6 GB/s vs 3.2 GB/s). About the only advantage it has is that the latency is lower, but that's not going to bridge such a large bandwidth difference.

Interestingly, that page points out that the Gamecube's RAM used to run at 3.2 GB/s, same as PS2, but Nintendo downgraded it before launch.

Man, the days when the games actually look different between platforms. I miss them.

But isn't SRAM better? I thought having that gave Gamecube the edge.

Do explain why an entire mode was cut of the PS2 then.

I think the mini discs are cute.

PS2's games generally looked worse. Some of its multiplats were better due to being optimized for them, but for the most part Gamecube had better looking titles. Especially the early titles, my God were early PS2 games ugly looking.

Nintendo was squeezing out so much more of its system's capabilities with games like Luigi's Mansion. Maybe PS2's games turned out worse because its harder to program for, but the fact of the matter is most titles on it ended up looking worse.

1T-SRAM has really low latency which is really useful when you're dealing with a CPU that doesn't have much cache. But the Gamecube's CPU actually has a lot of cache, so the true benefit of 1T-SRAM is virtually negated.

The one good thing I can see if that if your code is really fucking sloppy (with terrible use of pointers all over the place), the Gamecube's CPU will still handle it OK with little performance loss, while PS2's Emotion Engine will suffer badly because it has less cache and RDRAM has higher latency.

If you can optimize PS2 code properly, it should destroy the Gamecube since that raw bandwidth is just plain higher. But this probably explains well why so many shovelware titles on PS2 have absolutely horrendous graphics.

All of my multiplats were on GC or Xbox. My PS2 got by far the least amount of playtime that gen. It was mainly used for Silent Hill, MGS, GTA and Final Fantasy. All three were well worth owning.

DAILY REMINDER!

Bmx XXX was censored on PS2 but not Gamecube.

PS2 is a dogshit.

I see. Well, you've got more knowledge about this stuff than I do.

GameCube was basically designed as a reaction to the N64 which was similar to PS2, all about raw speed over ease-of-use.

But they compromised on raw power to make the GameCube an easier console to develop for.

I always thought that Gamecube beat PS2 in raw power. I heard that the ATI Flipper chip was superior, and that Gamecube overall was better aside from disc space. Also, the look of the games on it compared to PS2's.

Well, this was enlightening.

Alright, so explain this to me. Why is Gamecube's image processing function not important? It can do shit like bump mapping, it has so much more to it than PS2's. Why is it omitted in comparisons between the two?

>autism

>im autistic

Simply making a correction. How can you be a 90s kid if you were only around for 5 years or less of the decade?

Fuck off. This was Nintendo's last great console and you know it. All of of Sup Forums knows it.

The Switch might save Nintendo but I'm doubtful because it's another gimmick.

It's a little tricky to do a comparison between Flipper and Graphics Synthesizer (the actual PS2 GPU) because they work entirely differently.

Flipper has 4 pixel pipelines, where each pixel is carefully processed before reaching the end of the pipeline. Graphics Synthesizer has 16 pixel pipelines but each pixel only receives a minimal amount of processing.

This is often the reason the graphics on PS2 have a more "raw" appearance. However, there is nothing stopping PS2 developers throwing the same pixels through the PS2 pipeline two or more times to give them more time in the oven. The problem is that this is very tricky to organize, it's like parallel image processing.

Anyway although this way of doing things means that Graphics Synthesizer can't have "bump mapping" listed as a feature, it can actually achieve exactly the same result through sheer brute force.

As long as developers don't throw every single pixel 4 times into the graphics synthesizer, then the PS2 will still retain a fill rate advantage over GameCube.

Anti-aliasing is a bit more complicated, but let's just say that Graphics Synthesizer was supposed to support the feature, but on final silicon it was broken. So developers have had to find a way around that or suffer bad jaggies. It's possible, because the PS2 has the raw power to do it manually, but many developers just don't bother cause unlike GameCube it's not automatic.

>purple (the cool kind not the gay kind)

Coldsteel?

I see, so comparison a graphics synthesizer to Flipper is complicated.....

So each console has some advantages and disadvantages.

Not even close boy, that gotta be Virtual boy followed by Wii U

I was not a big N64 fan and always saw the GameCube as a big improvement over it.

I don't think it would be unfair to characterize the PS2 as more powerful than GameCube overall (assuming the PS2 is well coded).

But the GameCube does have some advantages, certainly. I think texturing in general will be better on GameCube: Flipper supports S3TC texture compression which is very good for the time, and Flipper supports a unique "loopback" feature where each pipeline can read the texture cache up to 8 times in a row if so desired. I think this may be one area where the PS2's raw power cannot prevail.

Indigo>Spice>Platinum>Black

I'll just add something to this. If the textures involve alpha blending (transparency) the PS2 will win

Even against Xbox the PS2 is extremely strong at this kind of image processing. It's because the PS2's VRAM is absurdly fast and well suited for the RMW (read modify write) operations involve in alpha blending.

Yes, I've noticed that. The textures and lighting in Gamecube games are amazing.

Also, maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems Gamecube has superior water effects.

I always associate the GameCube with cool looking water. Wave Race, Super Mario Sunshine and Star Fox Adventures all had gorgeous looking water.

Yeah, I wonder how they did it. I think my favorite would have to be Star Fox Adventures, the reflections were fucking incredible.

I forgot how good SFA looked despite being a meh Zelda clone. I wish Zero could look half as good as this.

Texturing is very important. With good texturing, you can make it appear as if there is geometry (polygons) even where they are none.

I believe I read somewhere that if you aim for 30 FPS on GameCube you should texture details instead of meshing them (polygons), but if you aim for 60 FPS on GameCube you should mesh things instead of texture them.

Flipper is really fast at polygon transforms (not any slower than Emotion Engine) as long as you don't apply too many vertex lights (Rogue Leader is a good example).

Flipper REALLY hates too many vertex lights though, it will slow down considerably if you try it. That's one area where Emotion Engine can win. But then again, if you want better quality lighting you can forgo vertex lights on Flipper and try per-pixel lighting with Flipper's TEV.

In a per-pixel lighting competition, I have no idea whether PS2 or GameCube would win. Neither consoles really made much use of per-pixel lighting.

where else can you play tales of symphonia or baten kaitos though

In the 6th gen? Not really. Only a handful of console games ever had online. Online didn't pick up until 7th gen.

I guess you're like 20 now, aren't you faggot?

I owned a Gamecube and a PS2 and my buddy had a Gamecube and Xbox.

PS2 and Xbox graphics shit on Gamecube graphics. No contest.

How are you even making an argument for GC gfx?

That's interesting. Were most games in 30 fps or 60 fps? I forget. Would it be better to aim for 60 fps on Gamecube? How about PS2? Seeing as it seems to effect textures.

>Nintendos worst console.
>Picture of a fucking gamecube.

Faggot.

Sorry, meant that for you bro.

PS2 multiplats always looked jaggy and washed out to me so I always went GC or Xbox for those. It took quite a while for the PS2 to build up some really good looking exclusives. MGS2 and Final Fantasy X were impressive though.

>born in '91
>was a kid through the 90's
>tfw still not a 90's kid

I don't know why but people have been shitposting that the PS2 was a stronger system than the Gamecube every time the comparison gets brought up. Or maybe it's just one moron who knows.

Both had good games but hardware wise the GC was the stronger system, only beaten by the Xbox that gen. Not that it really worked out in Nintendo's favor though, maybe if they made the GC a DVD player as well they could've been more competitive there.

I honestly don't see how you could have played Rogue Squadron or Luigi's Mansion for the first time and not have been amazed.

DQ8 also looked pretty good.

The colors seemed a little faded and shitty on certain objects in PS2 games. Like these cars for example. Also, the jaggies are pretty prominent too.

>PS2 multiplats always looked jaggy
Yes, I'll agree on that for sure.

Late PS2 titles looked pretty damn good.

DQ8 was amazing, to this day I think it holds up.

I think once developers got more used to programming for the PS2, they could utilize its full potential to make some beautiful looking games.

It's easier to achieve 60 FPS on PS2 because if you abandon too much image processing or textures you can just churn out shitloads of pixels with those 16 pixel pipelines. That's not really an option on GameCube, you're forced into some degree of image processing one way or the other.

I've noticed that games like Jak 2 which run at 60 FPS have an absolutely enormous number of polygons, but many of them aren't textured. But then again, there are games like Burnout 3 on PS2 which are 60 FPS and use lots of textures.

I can tell you though, the real reason that generation had so many 60 FPS games was because the output resolution was arbitrarily limited to 640x480 due to televisions of the time. All of the consoles of that generation were theoretically capable of much higher resolutions (at least, if they had more VRAM).

I was. But for different reasons (they were fun)

You were only cognizant from like 96 onward though. Your primary childhood was spent in the early 2000s.

Yeah but they also looked incredible. Same with Melee. The detail on the character models blew me away.