The boost button is the only way to make viable 3D Sonic games

>the boost button is the only way to make viable 3D Sonic games

Except it's not actually fun. Why do you insist on this sloppy, unsatisfying gameplay mechanic game after game? The times when you're not boosting always handle like ass because the game expects you to be going at full blast more often than not.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gCh9--2xcKk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

because sonic is (was) a popular brand so it it has to be in 3D even though it doesn't work

I don't dislike the boost games, but I agree. I don't like how it's always focused only on speed. Sonic formula was always focused in speed and platforming, with momentum-based physics.

That's why I think Sonic Adventure games have the perfect gameplay for Sonic 3D.

Kinda sad that a fan made demo was more fun than any official game of the last 6 years.

Sonic Adventure was a bit too linear (things like homing attack chains and not enough platforming to make up for it) but the way Sonic moved was great.

A more platforming-oriented game that handled like Sonic Adventure (AND NOT SONIC 360) is what would make the series shine. Everything that's wrong about how Sonic plays in Adventure (like poor camera control) is entirely fixable.

>Sonic 3D engine: okay
>Sonic R engine: terrible
>Adventure engine: Great
>Heroes engine: meh
>Shadow engine: JDIMSA
>Unleashed engine: Great (minus werehog)
>Generations engine: Great

Truth here.

Heroes and Shadow use the same engine. The character control is identical between them and just as sloppy across both (less excusable for Shadow but I greatly dislike both games because it's such a pain in the ass to control).

aside from the oldschool one coming next year whose name i cant remember, is there any news on a new 3d one being made? where's SA3? generations 2? i'll even take an unleashed 2 at this point even though i never finished the first because of the shit werewolf shit.

It's called "Project Sonic 2017".

It's got a Sonic Generations-theme to it since both classic and modern Sonic are in it again but it's shaping up to be something more original than that (and possibly more story-driven).

The reason I say it's more story-driven is the tagline is "Join the resistance", implying Sonic and his classic counterpart got themselves caught in the middle of some kind of conflict.

youtube.com/watch?v=gCh9--2xcKk

Maybe make it not handle like ass when not boosting?

I guess the gunplay and level design in Shadow makes it seem that much shittier than Heroes.

Both were the low points of Sonics adult life though, he went into rehab after 06, got decent with the Unleashed/Generations era, and is back on the straight and narrow now.

Well then I'd also demand fewer sections where you boost but then you might as well just stop boosting entirely and go back to "hold forward to go fast" as you do in Sonic Adventure.

Sonic doesn't have to travel at light speed to convey he's fast. There are other, less flavorless ways to accomplish that.

Anti-Boostfags need to fuck off and go play Lost World and see how fuck boring that shit is.

Anyone who likes this boosting shit is a Sonic-casual.

I do not have a problem with Sonic Advance 2, however.

I'm just anti-ass-handling

Then why are you playing 3D Sonic games then? Name a 3D Sonic game that didn't control like an ice cream truck on rollerskates.

The first two, you dumbass.

The worst control I had to put up with in Sonic Adventure was trying to go down the Windy Valley ramps (sometimes Sonic would turn too sharply when coming up to a corner; though this is not nearly as bad as it got in Sonic Heroes and Shadow). Other than that the game controlled well, the primary issue was with the camera.

If you can deal with the shitty movement of the Adventure games then you should be in heaven with the Unleashed/Generations games, stop being a backwards faggot and get good.

Sonic Adventure 1 handled decently, but even 2D Sonic games handle poorly.

Sonic Unleashed doesn't handle as well as Sonic Adventure but leaving that aside, the boost shit is not fun. Sonic is invulnerable to enemy attack yet the game is turned into a twitch-fest because you have to dodge obstacles coming in split seconds.

I liked beast Sonic more in Unleashed. Wasn't very Sonic-like but it was still entertaining. Speed Sonic is just shallow and flashy.

You play Lost World? As a boostfag I found it insanely boring as the speed was gone.

Fuck off with your "momentum based gameplay" autism OP, not everyone is a speedrunner who likes memorizing levels.
Thank you.

>he doesn't realize both of those are the same user

Sonic games are not "hardcore" in any way and trying to gain gaymurr cred with fucking Sonic of all things is pathetic

What are you claiming is hardcore, you sack of shit? Ikaruga?

Sonic games almost completely lack precision. It would be nice to even be able to manually turn sharp corners at high speeds.

Well, not to defend the boost games but they do have a drift mechanic you can use at high speed to take curves.

But what do you even mean turn sharp corners at high speeds? Crazy Gadget in Sonic Adventure 2 has some tight turns but you don't have any trouble going around them when Sonic is running.

Ikaruga is one of the most disappointing Treasure games I've played and people only find it particularly hard because of the terrible balance (piss-easy level 1, sudden huge spike in 2)

But the better shmups that require a ton of dedication to even 1CC let alone compete with the top-scoring players in the community definitely count

I realized later and I don't get how he can feel that SA1 had "momentum based gameplay"

I love SA1 but the physics were not good

They worked.

It wasn't really momentum-based since Sonic had a top speed (so you weren't doing things like using his speed to jump at a distant platform unless you did something like a dash jump, which is more about instant velocity than momentum) but what they had was enough to make a really good 3D Sonic experience.

Understood.

Anyway my point is that it's wrong to say old-school Sonic is "momentum-based" - I think it's more accurate to say they have an element of momentum.

I always saw people talk about "reaching top speed" in Sonic threads and how the gameplay was "based" around that, but the thing is, the levels are clearly broken down into speed moments and slower moments. The ONLY way you can bypass this is through memorization and by that point you've reached speedrun territory.

I brought up shmups before, and the thing about those games is that you can get through them even without memorization. There are people who can 1CC a brand new shmup really quick because they're very skilled after playing the games for so long and that's the kind of difficulty that I think is the most fun. Meanwhile I'd just get bored out of my mind memorizing Sonic stages just so I can gain higher speed.

2D:
1 > 2 > 3&K > CD

3D:
Generations > Heroes > Colors > Unleashed > SA2 > SA

It doesn't, you have tons of control.

PS memorization does play a part in shmups and other arcade games, in scoring- but that's a different kind of memorization. The act of learning the layout of the level is not the goal - it's just something you do to be able to strategize in future runs.

Meanwhile I'm not seeing this element in Sonic.

daf*q o_O

>SA2 > SA
lol

I really liked Heroes though, some of the level designs are still in my head

>nasty hobbits is da ZING ZING xDDD

kys adventurecuck

LOOK AT ALL THOSE EGGMANS ROBOTS

>yfw the conflict is modernfags vs classicfags

Both games didn't age very well but SA1 just had more potential and fun ideas. The levels had a lot moments of platforming and whatnot that were memorable simply through set pieces and level design. The SA2 ones mesh together hugely and are mostly straightforward "run up" affairs.

SA2's art direction was also ass in how hard it tried to be dark and more "mature" to appeal to teenagers the same way it did with the laughable story

I really wish people would stop shitposting Unleashed into oblivion. It makes legitimate discussion impossible.

>Except it's not actually fun
For you maybe, I thought Generations was great, if not the best 3D Sonic of all time.
Is the engine perfect? Heavens no, but it works well enough for the types of levels in Generations.
You're complaining about parts where you aren't boosting but those basically don't exist in the modern levels of Generations. If at any point in Generations you aren't going mach ten, you're being punished for fucking up part of the level, and I don't know about you but I think that's how it should be.
There's a number of ways to do 3D sonic right, and I'd say this is the most viable one that's been used in an official game so-far.
I do wonder how good a game sporting a polished SA1 engine and better level design would be.

All this said, I heavily prefer S2/3&K over any of the 3D games

Boost games are ok enough for what they are, but there's no real room to grow. It doesn't lend itself well to actual 3d levels, you're just gonna get crash bandicoot corridors with it. There's one level in the boost trilogy that meaningfully uses 3D space, it's DLC and shows off how laughably unsuited the controls are to anything besides blasting down a hallway like a brick tied to a rocket

Generations > Unleashed = SA > Colors > Heroes > SA2
Fixed.

So much this

Take Adventure, refine features, add into and improve the Chao system

It's all i want out of sega and i dont think it's asking all that much, honestly

Online multiplayer would be nice