Why does Sam Lake force "television drama" into his games ? Why can't he just stick to video games?

Why does Sam Lake force "television drama" into his games ? Why can't he just stick to video games?

I think he got the wrong message from Max Payne being a cult-classic, to be honest.

What he took away from Max Payne was that people loved the drama / story, and while it was bretty good, the game play was what made it really great. I think he misinterpreted what people liked about his games.

He's a Western Kojima. Men who are obsessed with putting stuff on the Screen, and don't really care about gameplay themselves. He just wants to make movies/TV shows.

Because he likes it. If you don't like it then why do you care about him?

His acting career (which he desperately wants to get off the ground) relies on it.

ITS PAYNE

Alan wake was a good step. It did the episodic formula right with little product placement.

Quantum break had a good story, but it was literally a tv show. With 20-30 min live action cutscenes And product placement in your face after each act.

Kojima syndrome
he wants to be a real director like Kojima, naughty dog and David cage want as well

This.

Except Sam Lake can tell a coherent story.

I would argue that the gameplay was a gimmick that got boring after the first hour. It was the story and the style that elevated it to video game kino.

what kind of question is that?

What if Kojima/Lake colaberated to made a game?

>10 mins gameplay
>45 min-1 hour of cutscenes

I think he's a reverse kojima, his storytelling is really really good, but their games always lack something mechanically.

Kojimas games are always mechanically amazing, but he's a really really bad storyteller that borders on campy schlock.

HA HA PAYNE TO THE MAX

>his games always lack
max payne one and two were perfect

>Kojimas games are always mechanically amazing, but he's a really really bad storyteller that borders on campy schlock.
Honetly I think Kojima could be good if he was telling stories for Japan but he's a Westaboo at heart and just wants us to rike him.

So what you're saying is that we need a Kojima/Lake collab with them doing what they do best. It'd be GOAT
What if Kojima wrote and Lake was the gameplay director

I actually replayed Max Payne 1 a little time and it has aged worse than I expected. At best it still feels great to cap multiple enemies in one shootdodge, but the game just practically forces you to abuse quicksave and -load all the time unless you already know and remember enemy placements and grenade surprises. It got kinda tiresome to be honest.

However 2 is a whole different animal, it feels much more fair and satisfying to play. I still like it as much as I liked it the first time back when it was released, a very positive surprise after 1.

Remember Alan Wake 2? Me neither. Let's make more movie games for platforms nobody cares about!

People tend to forget how good Max Payne 2 is because it's one of the first short-turnaround sequels from the days when that was rare and guaranteed a shit game, and also because it was demanding of hardware at the time.

>grenade surprises
Pure evil.

This is what I've been saying in all Max Payne threads lately but fags keep going on about MP1 and hating on 2.

I replayed them both again with MP3 as well at the beginning of the year and MP1 has aged a bit and is super clunky compared to the rest. It very much is a "story > gameplay" game though it wasn't that on release obviously, it's aged into that due to the fact it innovated so hard but didn't iron out the kinks until later installments which perfected it.

2 is fucking perfect though and feels just right. Hasnt aged a bit.

Don't get me wrong, 1 is still a good game but it's just not as good as 2. In hindsight 2 is the better Max Payne game.

Is CIA entertaining in QB? He usually makes everything he stars in great.

Because he's a writer

Is he "our" guy?

And his studio can finish a game.

most definitely

He used to be so young.

>And his studio can finnish a game
What did he mean by this?

Hot Take: Remedy only gets worse with each game

I'd argue that Quantum Break is much better than Alan Wake.

Alan Wake 2 when?

>I don't care about
>nobody cares about
Go take your lithium, sperglard.

But Max Payne 2 is better than Max Payne.

Because he's a meme-loving Finn and has to be whacky and random.

Yeah, he's a pretty good actor overall. I enjoyed him and black guy from the wire a lot. I don't get why QB gets so much flack, it's a very entertaining game with a really interesting story format

QB is a better game than Alan wake and max Payne 2 is a step up from 1 imo.

I preffered 1's bullet time with its straight up dramatic time reduction over 2's 'murder-accelerated time-dilation'

>grenade surprises
Fuck these, got me every time.

Not on PS4, and since Xbone is the designated evil console this generation it's automatically shit for being "exclusive" even though it's on PC too.

Sam didn't make Max Payne 3

Cause irs not a game. It's fucking like 6 hours long and half of it is watching an interactive cutscene

If he was talking about Max Payne 3 he would have added
>5 minute load screens

It has way more gameplay than mgs4 and less cutscenes, with a much better story, why does that get a pass?

So what? Mgs4 was shit too and that's also wrong, it had way more gameplay than quantum break

I'd rather have it other way round

MP2 wasn't very coherent

I think that was the joke, user.

I loved Alan Wake but the facial animation was really fucking jarring, especially since I played it right after MGS4.
If Konami licensed the Fox Engine like they should, Wake is a game I'd like to see redone from the ground up.

What confused you?

>If Konami licensed the Fox Engine like they should
Nobody is going to license it. You only know it exists because it was advertised. What does it do better than other commercial engines?

Mona Sax
Should've the ending of MP2 on the hardest difficulty been canon?
or are you fine with what happens to her and Max relapsing in to misery and self loathing in MP3?

well optimized for poverty pcs like MT Framework

Scale down to last-gen hardware. That's literally it.

I could see more people using it for sports games like PES for that reason, since annual sports game franchises are some of the last games to be published for non-current hardware.

charm in it's overall production is what brought to it's "cult classic" status.
From Sam Lake's goofy face planted as the true face of Max Payne, the in game television shows, the goofy comic book cutscenes and over exaggerated voice acting all within a world that's too fucked up and against Max, the two sequels and games Lake has worked on after MP have lost that very charm that made MP so memorable, it was people doing what they wanted and having fun crafting what isn't a perfect game, but a memorable one. Forcing shit because you think people will like it never goes well.

The story itself kinda straightforward, I think? I mean I'm dumb and only got it after 5 playthroughs.

It's like they made it deliberately confusing (and it's true, Lake said that he wanted to make a story that has a replayability). To this day, I still don't understand The Cleaners and why they hit the gun workshop.

Extremely efficient and optimized, think modern MT Framework
Very easy to pick up and use (t. kojima devs)
Motion & Face capture tools built in
Easy to implement third party tools, like cloth generation

All of this was presented at the GDC 2013 panel, and you can see how well it runs yourself by playing MGSV on any toaster (or the fact that it runs relatively well at full 12080x720 on last gen consoles while still looking good)

I think it fits more with the canon that max relapsing is what happens to him.

I like the transition he made in 3, because he clearly moved on from what happened, but hasn't actually let it go, and it still fucks with him. It's resolution with drama

Max in 3 finally found his inner peace though

And the relationship will never work out. He will lose her sooner or later.

It was made with PS3 hardware specs in mind and when it became apparent the next gen of consoles would be out it had extra lighting features added to it and slightly better textures were used in MGSV.

In what way is Max Payne 2 not superior to Max Payne?

never said it was inferior, I said it lost its charm.

All of those features are present in more modern engines. There's literally no valid reason for anyone to pay to use it. I guess Konami is kind of stuck with it.