Will RPGs ever get romance right ?

will RPGs ever get romance right ?

or are they just doomed to be a crock of shit forever ?

All I want to do is have the ability to bang any chick I see in a game, instead I have the pre chosen ones which are usually as follows:

>Ugly but powerful
>Smoking hot yet kind of a bitch
>Cute and friendly
>Normal but deep as hell and builds a personal connection
OR
>Normal with no qualities to put her above the rest

Naturally a majority will choose the ugly one just because they are huge faggots.

I can't think of a game at all that did romance "right".

No.

Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt.
You can marry LITERALLY anyone. And anything. Literally. Not an exaggeration. Proper usage of the word. Literally.

>using RPGs as a replacement for your lack of human intimacy

I don't think any romance options are intentionally ugly.

Bioware tends to make them that way, but that's more just incompetence.

some VNs did romance ok

do they really count as games though ?

You forgot

>Kind and loving but undead

Max Payne 2

Only Fire Emblem did it right.

It isn't incompetence it is more along the lines as it is hard to make them look beautiful in that engine while making them unique.

Just try making your own and at the very best they will look like benedict cumberpatch.

With dragons dogma you can marry pretty much anyone too.

Can you marry a jealous treasure chest that won't open up unless you don't open any other chest in the game?

Give them stuff and kiss their ego's ass? Pretty accurate in most games.

No but you can make the king look like a real jackass in front of everyone because he can't open a chest with a magical item you swapped with a fake.

Can you marry and have kids with your sister in those newish fire emblem games? If not into the trash it goes.

Probably not. Romance in RPGs are always just going to be a questline that you're following where the end reward is a basic cable style sex scene. Nothing wrong with that, but they'll never be developed enough to feel like anything other than a silly thing you can also do in the game unless there's so much focus on it that it becomes the center of the game and at that point it's a completely different genre altogether.

yes

well if you want good romance in vidya you need good characters

and to have good characters you need good writing

and what was the last well written RPG ?

honestly ?

They need to incorporate the romance into battle. Make it become a part of the strategy rather than completely separate from the rest of the game.

why do you pretend people haven't been doing this ages? romance novels were doing this for decades before video games.

They need to incorporate it into the rest of the game. Usually the romance only happens when you speak to the love interest alone, with only a few random remarks when you're actually playing the game.

>tfw no game gets lesbians right
>just want to live out my yuri fantasies

> Playing Stardew Valley
> Want to fuck Leah
> Can't make any of the stuff she loves
> I can make something she likes year round though
> Eggs
> Stand outside her cottage twice a week until she comes out so I can give her eggs
> Give her eggs until she loves me

I'm pretty sure she ate them all

Optional romances like the ones Bioware does, where you have a host of peope to choose from as sidequests to the main plot? Probably never.

Romance weaved into the main story of the game? Some games have managed to make that work well. JRPGs have been doing that for years. Grandia I is my favorite example of that.

I don't think that's what I meant by doing romance "right". You guys seem to all be talking about availability of options only, not the writing quality of it.