Why does everyone hate Dark Souls 2?

Why does everyone hate Dark Souls 2?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JSQohZj-jSY
youtube.com/watch?v=cRiHNNj_G64
a.pomf.cat/akznkd.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>everyone

Only Mentosmenthosis and his circlejerk.
DS2 has the best ratings of all Souls game by critics and the user ratings of it are higher than DS3s as well.

On PC its also higher than DS1 but that only due to the port of DS1 being bad.

Basically this. Everyone else likes it but those eceleb parroting shitters.

People shit on the game for the way i-frames and soul meta get handled but its not like DS3 is free from critcism.

People complain all day about DS3 having non-working covenants, shit meta, no poise and awful anti-cheat measures.

Stop assuming Sup Forums's opinion is law. Despite the Soul Memory blunder, it has the highest viable build variety, glorious powerstance, and some damn awesome movesets.
I unapologetically use bone fist whenever possible

DS1>>>DS2>DS3=BB>DeS

for the exact same reason people dislike final fantasy 13.

Wait for the screenshot guy to show up telling you that DS2 looks like complete shit if you remove the entire light engine with shadows plus while enabling unlimited view

People dislike FF13 because its a boring corridor with no challenge.

ds2 is fine

because it's shit and everyone knows it
and years of seeing people saying it's shit lead Sup Forums to defend it to the point of saying it's the best in the series

>MathewMatosis
>hates DS2

His video opens with him saying he likes the game and would rather play it than most of the games out. It only sucks compared to DS1.

Which is the right answer btw.

>that screenshot
remember when ds2 had lighting?

I seriously thought that was Skyrim from the thumbnail

>I- It's fine
>Just buy the good goy edition
>Hack your Soul Memory
>Max agility
>Ignore the lore
>Ignore the level design
>Ignore the graphics
>Subscribe to Vaati
>Upvote me on Reddit

I love 13 and hate DS2.

Most of his criticism is pretty pointless though.

>DS2 is worse because it has bloody screen cutscenes - DS1 had no bloody screen cuzscenes

>That enemy is far too close to the bonfire

>I dislike the ways the levels are designs
And the last point is bullshit why? Because he likes fucking Lost Izalith and praised Miyazaki for it.

>any ff game
>challenging

I played SoTFS (only up to iron keep) because of a certain streamer.
I uninstalled SoTFS so fucking hard after that.
Maybe vanilla would have been better but holy shit Iron Keep is a god damn mess.
2 is also the weirdest fucking thing ever, I reached level 82 and I've only killed one great one.

I don't hate it and I'd probably place it higher than 3 but neither is going to be on my favorites list.

I don't like:
>ADP
>Easy and mostly unmemorable bosses (DS3 definitely is better here)
>Way too comfy, remember in DS1 when most of the NPCs you met died? Granted everyone is a merchant in this game but still
>Despawning enemies
>Uninteresting lore
>Movement and character weight makes it feel like a Chinese bootleg of DS1
>Soul memory
>Map is all branches no loops (tbf DS3 is worse in this regard)
>Short npc quests usually limited to one area instead of progressing with you through the game
>Warp to home to level up (DS1 DID IT FINE WHY DID EVERY GAME SINCE FUCK IT UP)
>Entire game feels like filler

I liked weapons, bonfire ascetics, restoring humanity on the go, and other things I can't remember. Enjoyed my time with it, probably never going back (same with DS3)

I'd like to see the original build of the game.

I suspect they realised the constant darkness and flame lighting was tedious and had to scrap it 75% through development.

There are lots of areas with bare repeating textures that were clearly never meant to be visible and the Lost Sinner looked like it would have been a much more interesting fight in near total darkness.

Iron keep is my favourite level in the game. The game becomes pretty shit right after so you didn't miss much.

I'm not gonna defend Dark Souls 2 but it's well documented that the reason it tuned out how it did was because it was gimped to run on last gen consoles and they had a director change halfway through and a scrapped build six months out from launch. There's definitely aspects of lazy design in there but there's plenty of shit that was just time and hardware constraints.

I don't
I actually really liked it

>Iron Keep and Brume Tower

best areas in the game

To sum it up:
The graphics downgrade
The useless torch mechanic
The adaptability dependent i-frames
The unintuitive poise mechanic
Soul memory
The npc stories lacking closure
The nonsensical map

Although most of these issues are solved by SotFS and learning how to play the game. PvP and combat is the best in the series.

Compared to DS1, boring boss fights and lackluster world design.

A lot of the boss fights in DS2 are big human in armor who swings weapon in standard human arcs. The few fights that aren't big human aren't much more creative and didn't capture the same feel as other installment bosses.

Due to the way teleporting works from the start the world doesn't have to connect in the same way that is accessible by running everywhere. The world feels more linear instead of feeling connected.

PVP is awesome though, when you get a solid lag free connection it is probably the best one.

I liked it in DaS2 but I could not stand it in SoTFS.
Maybe I just went on full tilt but I'm going to just not finish it. So sick of all these design choices.

Remember how unfinished and thrown together Izalith was in DaS? That's DaS2 the entire time.

>Warp to home to level up
im so conflicted on this. on the one hand every the bubs of 2 and des are maximum comfy and i honestly like them but on the other hand you will never even come close to the feeling you get when you get to the blight town bonfires for the first time for example. you're deep, alone, and isolated and if you want to get back you have to fight your way through. nothing in the other games really made me feel that because you can just warp back to safety whenever you want

ADP did nothing wrong looking at how awful PvP and PvE in DS3 are.

There everyone has infinite rolls and so all battles only evolve around iframe abuse and nothing else.
In DS2 people atleast used shields frequently and tried different approaches.

cus it's shit

i think thats going a little too far, izalith and demon ruins were a whole other level of shit that nothing in the series reached. it honestly blows me away that they actually had the balls to released the game with it in that state. everything else was good enough for us to forgive them i guess

>Because he likes fucking Lost Izalith and praised Miyazaki for it.
Except not?

Because to many, including me, the first, most noticeable issues are so off-putting it's hard to look any further: the controls and animations.

Say whatever you want to defend it, but that doesn't change anything. And many people agree, hence why it gets so much shit

That is a problem all Souls games have

Fucking masterpiece.
youtube.com/watch?v=JSQohZj-jSY

This.

Exactly. DS2 is also just a stupid corridor (by DS1 standards)

>phantom range/latency is the same thing as utterly broken PvE hitboxes

>comparing phantom hitboxes caused by lag and shitty netcode to PvE

I've just about had enough of DS1 (I only got into it very late)
Is DS2 good for eternal turtling and sidestepping with a raised shield?

If DS2 is a corridor what does that make DS3?

i don't hate DS2, but i AM dissapointed in it. the i-frame shit really rubbed me the wrong way as rolling usually is my prefered method to avoid damage in FromSoft games.
Soul memory was retarded and didn't fix smurf invaders. it made it marginally harder to smurf on fools, but then they introduced the agape ring as a hard backpedal to the crazy hate it got.
Npcs were pretty forgettable and not at all fleshed out cept maybe lucatiel. it sometimes hinted at cool storylines like a daughter not being able to recognize his father who is litteraly 5 feet away at all. nothing happened in that storyline and they just remained stationary without anything interesting to say. it just ended before it began. few npcs wander around the map, and those who does (lucatiel, benhart, pate, creighton) usually don't make me care for them. pate/creighton arc was dumb, and the lucatiel and benhart arcs only slightly made me give a shit.
DS2 i a decent game, just not near the greatness of DS1, DS3 and BB

am i the only one who is bugged by the sound effects on ds2? try jumping in 2 and compare it to other games, it s honestly cringe worthy

You're not the only one, they suck.

Adaptability was a mistake

It's actually my favorite of the three. Most weapons, armor, bosses, best environment variety, and best DLC. Never bothered with any form of online functionalities so I can't judge it either way when it comes to that.

That said I do with it had the interconnectivity of 1, but after 3 I'm just going to assume that was a fluke at this point.

DS2 is pretty bad in a lot of ways, but it's the best in the series in others. It's the only game with any content in new game plus, the only one with working covenants, all weapoms are viable even joke weapons like the fists or whips, and it has some actually good/useful magic and miracles for once.

>quantity over quality: the post
also you forgot worst bosses, worst dlc, worst level design, worst world design in general that is just mind blowingly nonsensical because the b team had one of the most retarded ideas ever regarding it so in the end they had to stitch all the levels together like a deranged Frankenstein

>soul memory
>terrible world building and level design
>e3 and beta footage looked great, fonal product looked like shit
>janky movement controls
>terrible "story"
>copy paste weapon movesets, lackluster weapon variety

I could go on, but those are a few of the big ones.

>DS2 shitters will defend this

>worst dlc
Flat out wrong.
>worst level design
Level design is just fine, it's the world design that sucks because it makes no fucking sense.

The way their hitbox pushed you around if you stood next to their head when they were turning was janky as shit.

>You spin me right round is now playing in your head
>manually

>worst souls 2
>good

pick one

youtube.com/watch?v=cRiHNNj_G64

>Soul memory
>Adaptability
>Weapon durability worst in the series
>Bad level design muddied further by poor aesthetics
>Throwing tons of enemies together instead of having enemies placed in interesting locations
>Limpdick lore piggybacking off of the original instead of being its own game, with what little original lore there is being weak
>Forgettable NPCs and the worst level-up girl
Dark Souls II is not a terrible game, but that's only because the core fundamentals established in Dark Souls and Demon's Souls were good and upheld, for the most part. Where the game tries to stray or build upon its predecessors, it fails.

it makes no sense because it was originally suposed to be structured similar to demons souls and the manor was meant to be your home base with that big map being used to travel to different areas, hence the verity between levels and such, but they dropped it and duck taped all the levels together in the last second

>Level design is fine
>So many levels are just corridors or boxy rooms connected to other boxy rooms

Personally I like dark souls 2. Honestly I like it more than the original in some regards. I'm actually about to jump back into dark souls 2 while waiting for the next DLC pack for dark souls 3. Mostly because I want to give a no bonfire run on base NG another shot.

Speaking of which, I'm curious, does passive effects on armor work even when the armor is broken?

I liked it a lot. I only played the SotFs edition, but the graphics looked nice to me, especially in Majula. It had a lot of neat extra mechanics like the reassignment of soul levels, the coffin that changed your gender, the left-handed sword, and the torches. I liked the trips back in time, and LOVED the gathering of the crowns. A few unmemorable bosses, but I liked the Pursuer, Skeleton Lord, and Demon of Song, and loved Velstadt, Burnt Ivory King, and Raime. Thought Sir Alonne and Sinh were bullshit, IMHO.

BB > DS > DS2 > DeS > DS3

Because the Souls games are stale and repetitive, and since nobody played Demon it took one more game for them to realize this.

The people who played DaS3 and BB are just sad.

I believe broken armor/weapons still give their stat bonuses.

Love Mathew, and his loli.

a.pomf.cat/akznkd.webm

Why is there not a proper FF12 sequel?

Juked,

Juked and puked.

it looked like shit
it played like shit
and i'm one hundred percent (100%) sure it's actually shit

DaS > DeS = BB > Lords of the Fallen > Dark Souls 2 > Dark Souls 3

Sequels were a mistake

Bone fist is for faggots.
Power stanced caestuseseseses is the only way to go.
Bone fist utility just doesn't match for stunlock fury fists and solid dmg.
(stone ring required assuming that's the one that does the poise dmg boost.)

Lost Izalith could have been good.
My first impression was of awe.
Then I got through it. And was sad.
So much potential....

impeccable taste

DS2 Had the best fashion.

Awesome. Thank you very much for that. I spent the better part of an hour searching Google and YouTube, to no avail, for the answer to that.

Because it's bad. Dark Souls 2 and 3 shouldn't exist.

I love it personally.
For me DS3 is the disappointing one.

You could punish estus quaffing in 2.

>that linear as fuck cave
I like it, time to pick up DaS2

>everyone hate
Very few actually hate it, even Matthematosis said he liked it.
Most people think that it's worse than its predecessor. Many think it's on par with it or better.

Overall, it was disliked more before BB and DaS3 dropped by.

that's not a shockwave though.

that's obviously shit netcode and horrible latency which has been a thing since DeS.

Enemies were varied, some of the areas were interesting, pvp was fun, lots of weapons, combat felt a bit smoother(to me), and some of the areas were pretty awesome, especially the DLC.

People just want to bitch about muh world consistency, graphical downgrade, and soul level. Dark Souls 1 had blemishes just as well that kept it from being a 10/10 as well did 3.

All of the games are honestly great while 2 was just the weakest primarily due to the lackluster bosses. Pursuer is the only boss that I really enjoyed in that game, but even he is easy.

because they didnt play BB or ds3 yet

>That jump
WTF

>make a game about abortion
>then release an abortion

deepest lore