Nier Automata

Nier:Automata Thread — Demo Next Month edition

Noctis's Engine Blade is appearing in Automata; when equipped it will have a "special dodge effect" which we all know will make 2B Warp Strike, even if they didn't say it. Also makes numbers pop out of enemies in the same style as FFXV. It will come with a Weapon Story that is related to FFXV; this means Weapon Stories are officially confirmed, btw

Also apparently something from Automata will appear in FFXV

In other news, a new interview with Saito was published:
gamesradar.com/bayonetta-meets-battlestar-galactica-in-nier-automata/

>We do have difficulty levels - Easy mode, Normal, Hard, and Very Hard - and you'll be able to switch between these levels whenever you want to, to cater to your proficiency level

>When we came out with Nier, one thing that I requested was to 'At least let me feel good after I finish playing'. But for Automata, I said 'Whatever you want to do is what we want to do'. So [Yoko] had complete freedom with the storyline

>When I first read the plot for Nier: Automata, the first thing I thought was 'Oh my god, what is this storyline? No one is happy in it, no one is saved!' But we really did make a happy ending with this game, so don't worry about it!

>Given that Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts are out there, acting as the staple titles for Square Enix, we can actually hide in their shadow and do what we like [laughs]. It's a very fun project - it's like we're just secretly hiding, [adding things to the game that] we haven't told anyone about, even our superiors. If it becomes really popular, then I would be very surprised. But if that happens, then our next title will be an all-ages title [laughs]. If it sells really REALLY well, I'll negotiate with Disney to have Mickey Mouse appear in the next game."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wmc3yji0G84
youtube.com/watch?v=axT_RojfaRs
youtu.be/JO-_FKlHRRQ?t=23m58s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>you'll be able to switch between these levels whenever you want to
one of the worst things in modern games

>>When I first read the plot for Nier: Automata, the first thing I thought was 'Oh my god, what is this storyline? No one is happy in it, no one is saved!'

>If it sells really REALLY well, I'll negotiate with Disney to have Mickey Mouse appear in the next game."

Kek, fucking Taro.

Considering that Final Fantasy XV turned out to be trash (big surprise) I'm really hoping that they'll deliver on Automata, you know? Just to have a non-shit Square title released in the next decade.

>mfw

too bad the localization will ruin the western release

The more I hear about this game the more I dont like it. But I'm willing to bet Sup Forums will defend it and say it's uspposed to be bad

>best
FTFY

I don't see any problems with it. If you want to play on Very Hard, no one's going to make you change difficulties.

I am so goddamn unhappy that they're all just sexy androids.

Why?

If a player is stuck and gets frustrated, they shouldn't have to restart.

The thing about difficulty switching is it actually encourages players to play on harder difficulties; you don't have to guess, before ever playing the game, what difficulty is appropriate for your skill level, knowing that if you guessed wrong you'll have to restart the damn game. You can go for hard or very hard comfortably, knowing that if you get stuck you can reduce the difficulty later.

The bad way of doing it is the way DMC did, where the game automatically reduces the difficulty if you suck.

That was Saito. Who is also a based motherfucker.

It's the best part though

(The interview is with Yosuke Saito, Punished Taro was not present)

>Also apparently something from Automata will appear in FFXV
too bad it won't be good gameplay.
Probably just beastlord as a DLC weapon

>ywn make weird ass games with your bro

I'm so jealous.

>too bad it won't be good gameplay
burn

I have my suspicions that equipping Engine Blade in Automata will provide better Warp gameplay than all of XV put together

>When I first read the plot for Nier: Automata, the first thing I thought was 'Oh my god, what is this storyline? No one is happy in it, no one is saved!

The absolute madman

I'm not sure what's better: that Taro and Saito's influence is slowly making Taura into a weirdo, or that Taro and Kamiya have become drinking buddies and Twitter bffs.

>It's a very fun project - it's like we're just secretly hiding, [adding things to the game that] we haven't told anyone about, even our superiors.
I hope they'll take commemoration pics of their reactions.

>you will never get wasted with Taro and then die in a horrible accident on the way home, so Taro will make a game based on the experience.
Why even die?

Did anyone actually think of Bayonetta or Battlestar Galactica when thinking of Nier Automata?

battlestar galactica how?

IDK anything about Galactica, but Bayonetta absolutely.

It looks extremely similar gameplay-wise, and it also stars a classy fashionista battle-girl.

Fuck off with bayonetta.

It looks like a proper adventure game like they are searching for the legendary last human on earth only to find out he died 500 years ago at the end due to his cryonics device malfunctioning and setting the time to sleep for 50 years instead of 5000

The link in the OP silly.

I didn't think I would have to explain it. Nier anons going to say calling it Bayonetta is to lure in Platinum fags, who they just love so much.
But Battlestar Galactica? Um.

>But we really did make a happy ending with this game, so don't worry about it!

what's Taro's definition of a happy ending

Is the crossover weapon in the game as is? Or is it locked behind $$$?

Also, if characters die left and right in Automata? Wouldn't it get eaten alive just like FFXV? I mean people are shitting on the "everybody dies" thing Tabata did for FFXV.

Russian roulette except with six rounds instead of one

The happiest ending in D3 (arguably the only "good" ending in the series) was the one where every single named character in the game died except for Mikhail. So, there's your benchmark.

one where everyone dies so they don't have to suffer anymore.

Nier is the vidya equivalent of Madoka. It's just DUDE SUFFERING LMAO and people lap it up

Are these games standalone or do I have to play the previous ones to understand what's going on?

HOLD UP

Wait wait wait. Everyone dies in XV?

Damn I thought the game was going to be shit. Might pick it up if that is true.

I think it's safe to assume that you'll be able to enjoy it fine as a standalone product, but you'll probably get much more out of the story if you've played the first one.

Translation is gonna be butchered

>nier
I think you mean the entire DoD series m8

Same people who did the first game
Slowpoke

The fact that everybody dies isn't the problem.
How it is executed in FFXV is the problem, it serves no purpose and just randomly happens offscreen.

If somebody died in NieR it always had an impact and had proper build up.

We don't even know if everyone dies in Automata.
All we know so far is that in the Yorah stageplay they are unknowingly send on a suicide mission to feel like shit and use the new data to make more human like androids.

Apparently, yeah. I guess the reason people are complaining because of the nondescript way the cast dies, and the final boss.

Which was years ago, times changed and they're trash now

it only turned out good because Taro actually supervised the translation and he will probably do it again.

That android has a dick too

>imblying

They're completely flat down there, like manikins but they have sexuality programmed into their circuits. That's why everyone in the game is so unhappy all the time.

I don't really give a shit about FFXV, so whatever.

Headlines are usually pretty stupid, specially in gaming journalism, but I guess there is some similarity with Bayo and BSG.

If you think Taro games or Madoka are just about suffering you've missed the point so much that I shouldn't even have to point it out.

So you haven't seen either of these outside of memes and think you know your shit, alrighty then

>program sex but don't build them genitals
Are you sure that's how it is? That just sounds wrong.

Any clue to toobie's personality? She shows gentleness to buddybot and shotabot but I'm curious if she can 'feel' and isn't just behaving in human mannerisms because she thinks that's how she should behave.

The gameplay is functionally identical to Bayonetta, with the lone exception that Witch Time doesn't appear to be a thing.

Well, that and the Pod (which is equal parts TPS-gun and magic system) but whatever

In the YoRHa stage play, each android's personality is generated by taking the accumated data from all of its "past lives" (earlier, now-destroyed models) and using that as seed data for developing a consciousness.

So she should, theoretically, exist in a sort of cognitive uncanny valley, where she's got some loose semblance of a human personality but on closer examination it isn't quite right

Remember Dev and Pop. Even in Nier, androids were starting to become self-aware and developing feelings. It's likely all robots are like that now after such a long time, just like Replicants gained sentience over many centuries when at first they were just shells.

Why are they so perfect?

Because Devola likes futa.

>De Bo Ra
>Devola
Is it just me or is Devola a weird mistranslation of "Deborah"?

B's are V's, L's are R's

It's actually Deboru, or Debol

I think that's the point, what with the "ancient language" Devoloa and Popala sing in used to show the passage of time has eroded the old language.

All lies of course because everyone in game is a replicant

>[Yoko] had complete freedom with the storyline

it's gonna be shit without the other writer keeping him on a leash

expect trans-TRANSdimensional penis boss

Look, as long as the worst of it is swept into the backstory it should be alright.

You actually can make a "V" in Katakana, though it's not commonly done. You accent a W sound, itself made with a U and a small vowel

Literally, Devola would be written デヴォラ

youtube.com/watch?v=Wmc3yji0G84
I hope this song gets reused considering
>automata

>Implying that would be a bad thing

I want more surrealist insanity like in DoD1.

Sorry, anons. Read the interview.

>Yoko's penchant for unsatisfying endings is another parallel to Battlestar Galactica, in which some beloved characters meet tragic or inglorious deaths. But then, Battlestar never had a scene in which giant, infant-like beings descend upon a protagonist and eat her alive.

>"Rest assured, we won't have any crazy endings like that in Automata," laughs Yosuke. "Yoko-san would never say this out loud, but I do think that he actually does want to leave some kind of a mark within the hearts of the players."

>I do think that he actually does want to leave some kind of a mark within the hearts of the players
Pretty sure emotional and mental scars qualify for that statement.

I hope there are more diary excerpts from the new game.

This desu

Sure, but there's a difference between "upsetting" and "nonsense", and there does come a point in DoD especially where it's almost just black comedy with how weird it gets.

>Demo Next Month
wait wut

At least for Japan, they've confirmed an "end of 2016" demo release. At the recent Square Enix press events in San Fran and Mexico, western press were allowed to play the demo (no photography though) and it had english VA in it so odds are good the west will also get the demo at the same time, though officially neither the demo nor the game release dates have been announced outside Japan.

Oh sweet, thanks.

youtube.com/watch?v=axT_RojfaRs
Taro doesn't have to rely on emotion and story to be "upsetting"

Only for PS4? I have one but its hdmi port got fucked. What are the chances of the demo bring released on PC?

>English VA
Is this it, Sup Forums? Are we actually going to get the game on Feb like Japan?

Don't count on it, user. It would be a miracle if the demo hits Steam, but it doesn't even have store page yet.

No. There's this thing called marketing that SE have to start doing it for the west after that FFXV shit is finally gone.

It also doesn't have a PS4 store page except in Japan.

Steam is basically for the west, they aren't going to think about it until they start thinking about announcing it officially in the west, which we all know they won't do until December because Squeenix USA is devoting every single staff member to XV's release push

You bet your ass I'll be playing this in february, I'm going to buy it from the japanese PSN if I have to.
It will probably already have an english option, no need to wait for the western release.

Why not just get the HDMI port repaired if that's all that's wrong? Sending it off and getting it back will take a lot less time then the years you'll be waiting for a PC port, if ever.

Not really, there's a lot of humor in Nier 1 and DoD3

I damn sure hope PC gets a demo (even though I'm 100% certain it won't) because Platinum's PC ports are so hit-or-miss and I really want to know if this one is gonna be a good one.

>he doesn't know

>Platinum's PC ports are so hit-or-miss
I played all of them except for the Turtles and they all run with 60fps on 8-year old toasters

Best ending honestly the whores deserved it.

They were aiming for a worldwide release back when they announced the game in 2015's E3. They said nothing about that after they gave out the release date, so I'm guessing it's off the table.

Do we even know for sure that Platinum's gonna handle the PC port? The trend is outsourcing the port to a shitty Chinese company nowadays.

>years
user, the game is getting a Steam release, at most he'd be waiting 3 months if he misses the demo since the full game is released at the end of February

I hope a shitton of the music is based on that

I swear to god they were still saying that in some newer interview

I dont think the english version will be available, sadly. I'll do the same. Problably gonna buy the japanese psn version, the physical na collector edition and the steam version too. I have done more for DD3.

Platinum's in-house engine (modified Unreal) is PC-ready, and they've done all of their PC releases (of which there are 4, IIRC) in-house

The quality of the port seems to depend on the director/programmer in question, and how much thought they give to the PC audience

If it's MGR-tier with better resolution options (PS4 Pro support makes this likely) then I'll be happy.

>Do we even know for sure that Platinum's gonna handle the PC port?
Yeah they've mentioned it, I'll try and find the interview

That tard you are replying to is the vidya equivalent of shitposters in Sup Forums, who talk about anime they haven't seen and just keep reacting to other's reaction.

I went to sony and the literally charged mehalf the price of a new ps4 for it being fix. So I took it to another place. It worked fine but eventually started failing again. I think I will try it again or even sell it to buy a slim. I rather play it on steam though.

I think it's kinda endearing yet sad that they realize Taro games will never be a big hit, and usually get okay reviews.

Where does Taro and Saito get support anyway? Is it SE? Why would SE keep funding their games?

youtu.be/JO-_FKlHRRQ?t=23m58s

Found it, 23:58

>"Rest assured, we won't have any crazy endings like that in Automata,"

Why is Drakengard such a one-off?

Is there literally zero chances that they will port first game to steam?

Yeah but it's not about performance.

Take MGR (designed by Taura, same as Nier); it has special keybinds for keyboard users that the controller doesn't (dodge) and excellent mouse support for both camera and Zandatsu; it has a nice array of scalability settings as well, including Zandatsu scaling for high end machines.

Then take Transformers Devastation; a great game, but it has permanent (and SEVERE) negative mouse acceleration that makes mouselook nightmarish (particularly shitty given the game's aim focus; aiming guns is both more important and more shitty in TFD than in MGR with the launchers). No consideration given to KB/M controls; slapping the melee commands on your Q/E keys with no option for toggling the mouse between melee and gun functions on LMB/RMB is also awful. "Scalability" is relegated to literally a single "low / med / high" selector and there's no support for >1080p resolutions.

And that game came out 2 years AFTER MGR and had the dame goddamn director as MGR, which makes you wonder why there's such a gulf in quality between the two ports

>playing third person action games on kb&m

Activision

It is very sad, but also very promising to us to hear it said, that the game IS just a massive guilty pleasure for them and they are getting away with it, means it'll be a good game.

Well Saito has DQ behind him and all, think the rest may just be afraid of Taro the madman.

In Saito's own words, "I make them so much money with Dragon Quest that they don't tell me no"

His projects with Taro are like vacations for him; they make enough money to justify his drawing a salary, but he claims that he has to do very little work (since Taro is an extremely honest professional when it comes to expectations, progress, financial management, etc) and he gets to have fun fucking around during every press junket.

Then once he's done hanging out with drunks and making bizarre games, he goes back to his 70-hour salaryman work-weeks publishing the next DQ entry