FFXV - Final Fantasy XV must sell 10 million copies to be successful

We're all dealing with the reality that this isn't the game we were looking forward to 10 years ago. There's a reason Square pressed that emergency FFVII remake button. Basically A Realm Reborn has become the main sail of Square and FF is now an MMO series.

Is there any way this game can POSSIBLY sell 10 million copies? FFVII solder 11 million copies over 20 fucking years, I don't know what Square is smoking but I want some. I seriously doubt it, expect only die hards to buy it early, almost all critics will pan the game, it will barely sell and become the only game in the series to have a worse reputation than FFXIII.

I don't even want to think about the MILLIONS of dollars Square has poured into this thing contrasted with the so far lukewarm to poor reception leaked copies of the game and the demos are getting. Is it over for Square?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eXJFbsQBvLw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This game would be "blunder of the century" if it were actually funny. But it's not funny it's just sad.

They are so fucked

This game's still not out yet?

Naw
Keep your months old clickbait to reddit.

So they're setting their goal of 10 million sales with a game that millions of people have lost excitement for, just got the biggest panning on a nationally syndicated tv show ever given to a video game, to be the same amount of sales as the greatest selling game in the history of the company over 20 years? The company will not reveal FFXV's budget because the number is astronomically embarrassing.

How the fuck could they EVER imagine getting 10 million sales? At this point they will be lucky to get 2.5 million sales, and they should be very grateful for that. You remember 10 years ago when Square said they'd never remake FFVII unless it was an absolute financial emergency for the company? They did that last year, what does that tell you?

They've invested 10 YEARS of time and millions upon millions of dollars into creating this game. It is no stretch of the imagination to think that Final Fantasy XV is the most expensive Japanese Role Playing game ever developed. It's had the longest development cycle of any JRPG, if it fails it will inevitably be remembered as the greatest failure in the history of Square as a company, and you know this.

Honestly explain to me, how can you defend this?

What show?

Will they finally throw the series six feet under when it doesn't reach it? We all know the dissapointment Tomb Raider gave.

>Final Fantasy after 10

Let me get this straight...

A game, that horribly delayed, almost vaporware, that went trough two directors, a name change and probably millions upon millions in development.

Only needs to sell 10 million copies to be "successful" successful, but not profitable I am guessing.

This game will not need 10 million sales to recoup costs because that will imply this game costed over $500 million and is more expensive than destiny which it is no way near close.

So yeah anyone who believes otherwise is retarded.

There is a FFXV anime

There's a good chance FFXV costed more than destiny to make simply because of how long it took them to make it.

youtube.com/watch?v=eXJFbsQBvLw

3.2 million people have watched this on YT alone, that's not counting the TV viewers. That's almost as much as the most viewed trailer for the game itself, more when you consider that trailer wasn't on television.

Yes it's mostly a comedy thing but in this episode Conan went up and beyond and openly lambasted the game as above and beyond the worst game he's ever played on the show, actually took time out to holler at the game developers and berate them on national television.

I feel kind of bad for Square. Deny it all you want but this will inevitably affect sales.

Square is just better off completely rebranding the series as an MMO series. XV should be the last mainline game until there's someone with actual vision and direction for a sixteenth single player game. Clearly all the FF mainline games since X have been unabashed failures, this includes the entire XIII series which was only loved by the most adamant of weeaboos.

I pretty much gave up on the series but was holding out for this game to land my final verdict on the series. Since across the board everyone seems to think the game sucks and is boring as fuck... yeah the series is pretty dead.

Basically. Don't try to explain marketing costs, dev time or budgets to the incredibly obstinate FF fanboys. I used to be one of them, eventually I gave into reason and realized the series was doomed.

Destiny development began in 2010, the game released in 2014, the game is still in development as it continously gets DLC and updates. You can't compare it to game that began dev time in 2006 and is still not out yet, as a single monolithic game. Already FFXV has had twice as much time in the oven, constant delays, completely redoing the game, etc. I would say roughly 2/3rds of all the budget spent on developing FFXV has been entirely wasted.

more wasted budget. I was talking about Conan.

>The company will not reveal FFXV's budget because the number is astronomically embarrassing.
Game development studios very, very rarely release budgets. At most you get estimates from analysts.

>millions have lost interest in
Source? Genuinely interested where you got that figure from.

>This thread again
At least you remembered to not put '10 million copies to break even' in the title.

Why would SE care so much about FFVII when FFX sold almost 15 million copies? 14 million of which were on PS2 alone?

Seems like they forgot people just like jRPGs to stay true to some things, instead of flashy Kingdom Hearts combat. I'll be back with the series when they make it turn based again, maybe something like FFX with some small changes and fun ideas.

And holy fuck, instead of going too far in either the corridor route or the open world route, they should just focus on making the game and characters interesting. Because I felt literally no hype for FFXV.

>more expensive than destiny
Destiny's 10 year budget was 500 million. Not the game itself.

What will Squares next incarnation be like?

My vote goes to Electronic Arts Square-Enix

I dunno
But yeah FFX is the best selling FF saga ever
I hope they retcon X-2.5 and make X-3

>There's a good chance FFXV costed more than destiny

Fuck off, look at the game and it's shitty engine, that shit is not fucking 500 millions worth or even close. The character models and how barren the world is you can tell it's not even extremely expensive.

The game only took long because the people behind were incompetent.

Either way unless you have a single statement of this cheap shit being more expensive than destiny i ain't buying shit.

Just use common sense. Already the game has been panned across the board by everyone who's played the leaked game or demos. The original trailers for Final Fantasy Versus XIII have more views than the XV trailers. People lost interest in this game over 10 years, the JRPG genre has never been less popular. Really the only game to revitalize popularity in the genre of late has been Persona 5, if we're being honest. Many people have cancelled pre-orders already.

The fact is, even though Tabata is shit and has fucked up royally, I'd say the real blame lies with Square's obviously bad management structure. If they'd have let Nomura work on this alone, I doubt we'd be seeing this fucking shambles. Same as Nintendo. Japan as game developing country is dead.

>Same as Nintendo
Love this meme.

>If they'd have let Nomura work on this alone, I doubt we'd be seeing this fucking shambles.

We probably wouldn't be seeing it at all, but that'd probably be better.

>Destiny's 10 year budget was 500 million. Not the game itself.

Factually wrong.

>Activision subsequently confirmed the $500 million figure, stating that marketing, up-front infrastructure costs, and investment in the game's engine were included

Square-Enix-Goya

Being sued fo false advertising and bankrupt

His ass

Seriously why do games cost so much? Is it that developers cost so much?

> I doubt we'd be seeing this fucking shambles
Good, they should've cancelled it in 2012 and work on a new FFXV with an actual vision

it would easily do that if it was multiplataform.

>You can't compare it to game that began dev time in 2006 and is still not out yet, as a single monolithic game.

FFXV looks terrible and open world is not even as expansive as to something like GTAV and the game itself shuts off to linear halfway. You people are overestimating FFXV, it's big for a jap game but not to big western AAA titles that clearly are more expensive.

No wonder the game is thirty something bucks via black Friday deal electric boogaloo sale. It just barely came out and it's already dirt cheap for optimistic quick sales.

Nomura's Versus XIII is your perfect 2D waifu
Tabata's XV is a fat ugly guy cosplaying as your waifu

>If they'd have let Nomura work on this alone, I doubt we'd be seeing this fucking shambles.

we wouldnt be seeing it at all. nomura doesn't actually know how to develop and finish complex video games, he just gets too enamored with his own autistic fever dreams and spends years obsessing over the jewellery on a characters outfit. hes nothing more than an artist or more accurately an ideas guy

>the game itself shuts off to linear halfway.

no it doesnt

Too bad Tabata has no idea how to make a good game

>If they'd have let Nomura work on this alone, I doubt we'd be seeing this fucking shambles

Yes you wouldn't be seeing the game at all.

At 2011 where the title was in full production he only had it at 20% done, bare in mind this was announced since 2006. He didn't even try to use his BBS team to support him and now is using them to work on KH, clearly shows which series he cares more about.

Sorry, NMS already claimed that title.

nms was just some indie turd autists were excited for. this is a major release that's been cockteasing weebs for a decade.

>crisis core
>type 0

>bad

That's the problem. He could have worked on getting the mechanics etc right, but keep the story intact rather than gutting it and restarting the project. But then, thsrs wishful thinking because Tabata is the same guy that wanted hold circle to attack. Maybe the whole project was doomed from the start.

im pretty sure this is all EA PR team trying to talk shit about other rpg devs because of how awful all their bioware rpgs are

X-2 was good and I liked Type-0, but I see where you are coming from.

If you're going to count X-2, then you have to count VII's Compilation, which puts it higher again.

XII tho

>We're all dealing with the reality that this isn't the game we were looking forward to 10 years ago.
You are only just now beginning to do that? Jesus christ, you haven't been paying attention at all, have you?

2 years of hype vs 10 years...
Even the division had more hype and bombed harder than No Mans Sky

Nice bait

>Fuck off, look at the game and it's shitty engine, that shit is not fucking 500 millions worth or even close
You should be mad at them then.

>that clearly are more expensive.
FFVII is the third most expensive videogame ever created. I have no doubt that this game is astronomically expensive, especially with its bloated marketing budget.

The fucking movie they made cost 25 million alone and only recouped 1 million.

>The fucking movie they made cost 25 million alone and only recouped 1 million.
WHAT.
That is fucking hilarious.

I bet people thought that it would be great, because square-enix is good with visuals and cinematics. But never realized how fucking retarded their writing is.

Biggest cost is marketing.

As someone who has its own company workers cost much money and all the additional fees you have to pay each month.

Can we talk about the game here?

I think it looks awesome. I'm not sure if the sales will meet that goal or even expectations but the game looks sweet as fuck. Swift combat, great music, huge summons, tons of content...

Should I drop a Prime preorder? I'm on the fence hardcore

This is arguably a net positive

>It's that game Conan played. Imma buy it too and be ironic and nerdy XD

Doesn't that game have lots of ingame ads though?

the combat has universally been called boring and repetitive

the summons and music are arguably the only likable thing about the game

it's been said the entire game can be cleared in less than 40 hours (100% completion), so no, there's not a lot of content.

I would save your money and just pre-order P5, at least it's already been universally hailed as the best JRPG ever made.

no it's not. he literally hollered at the developers as killing babies because of all the time people would waste playing the worst game he's ever played on his show. he literally killed sales while earning youtube views.

Alright

Meanwhile they pulled all their staff off XIV for the first expansion, which had a budget of only 15 million; for a game that was so successful initially that it recouped the huge loss incurred when 1.0 failed, and made it all back in profit several times over. Basically they starved their golden goose so they could give its feed to the headless chicken with 1 leg and 5 different kinds of cancer.

I'd say I could do a better job of managing the company than Square Enix but that would be an understatement. A chimp hurling faeces at a dartboard labeled with economic decisions would make smarter and more consistent business moves.

SE needs a fucking purge. How is it possible for their management to keep fucking up?

>FFVII is the third most expensive videogame ever created.

FF7 was revolutionary for it's time

FFXV looks straight up garbage visually and isn't technically impressive.

Both had huge marketing budgets. That's where most of the money goes.

>If they'd have let Nomura work on this alone,
He was working on FFXII versus and Kingdom Hearts 3. Now he's doing the latter and FFVII remake.

Looks like Square Enix is short on directors that they're comfortable with.

>toriyama and tabata are apparently on that list
Maybe they should take more chances then, like they did with Yoshida; he was basically a disposable pawn they could pin the blame on if XIV 2.0 failed, and say what you will about XIV being a WoWclone - unlike tabbycat Yoshi is at least profitable in his creative bankruptcy

Tabata is the fallguy for XV

>How the fuck could they EVER imagine getting 10 million sales?

rpgs like Diablo 3 or Skyrim sold over 20 million copies 2 years after release. Expecting for a similarly big game to reach around half of those sales isn't something crazy.

The problem is that FFXV is way too "japanese" for the modern gaming audience's tastes. I hardly believe that the normie masses will latch onto the game even 1/4 as much as they did with a game like Skyrim, even if it had somewhat better gameplay.

You are literally making these concluson based on Sup Forums shitpostings tho.

>tfw final fantasy is going to die this year

I thought you guys were just being faggots again, but then I looked up what games this retard has directed.

Why would they give their most expensive project to someone who hasnt made one good game?

How huge are we talking here? GTAV which was marketed worldwide costed like $130 million with TV ads constantly. XV the game itself really doesn't look expensive

For some reason, they decided that the guy that directed IX and XII, was better off overseeing XII's remaster.

Neither of those games I would consider to be good either.

I'd say SE spending years of man power and untold millions of dollars on Luminous Engine, only to discard it for UE4 after one game, is a bigger disappointment.

>Squeenix is dead
About fucking time

That's what happens when it's shit

Yeah, the engine that they made is a big failure that they decided to use UE4 for their other big project games like FF7R, DQ11 and KH3.

They'll be fine, it's Final Fantasy itself that is gonna die. It's going to eventually just be a name associated with being an MMO.

This

Guess Ito is too busy cleaning the bathroom stalls.

You mean the same retard that took Disney licenses, and made an endless amount of games that revolve around his throwaway characters?

From the same series that is releasing an entire game, which should only be a DLC episode for the PS4 Remix collection?

You really want that man child to drag out a heavily questionable game for as long as FFXIII did?

My personal guess is they need 4m sales at full
price to break even.

Then there still is a delayed pc version, a possible nx version and various dlcs.

SE should be very happy if they manage to not make any losses however i fear for the effect on the final fantasy brand if the average doesn't like XV

The head writer for Kingdom Hearts is actually the same dude that wrote XIII and it's sequels, and was also responsible for the executive changes made to XII (name Vaan).

>just got the biggest panning on a nationally syndicated tv show ever given to a video game

I really wish the Conan meme will stop. Everyone and their grandmother knows that was all comedy and the fact that he intentionally hid the fighting in the first 15 minutes in the game only to say nothing is happening shows this.

>Genuinely interested where you got that figure from.

His fucking ass, it's a Final Fantasy XV thread, people have been shitting on it since Episode Duscae.

KH and FF7R are on UE4 because all the Luminous developers were working on XV, and their engine probably doesn't have good documentation and nobody had time to teach other studios.

I'd wait until we see what engine BD2 is using for the new IP before deciding if they abandoned it already.

Game would've at least played better than what FFXV currently is right now and would've made a profit for SE for not taking as long it did to make too.

Tabata hasn't made a game I would considered great barely good (7/10's) with the exception of 3rd Birthday which was garbage. As much I don't care for KH games even I think they are better than Tabata's games. Story would've been terrible with either director anyways.

>Is it over for Square?
I hope so. Look what they did to Deus Ex MD.

Square Enix
A Nintendo Subsidiary

Monolith finally gets to make the complete version of Xenogears.

>I think it looks awesome.

I legitimately am curious why.

>he literally hollered at the developers as killing babies
>implying anyone would take him seriously

He was laughing as he said it. Everyone knows it's a joke.

Square Enix with the retarded expectations as usual.

I doubt they actually believe this, must be what they think is a way to build up hype.

Square Enix will be fine. They have DQXI, KHIII, and FFVII R coming, not to mention whatever they have planned to announce in 2017.

NMS was like blunder of the fucking month.
Now MN9 on the other hand has to be the blunder of the decade at the very least.

NMS already been awarded "Greatest Con of the Year" title

Did you guys read about the wedding dress in the papers?

I forgot which Tomb Raider it was, but the game sold a few million and SE was upset because they thought it should have sold 5-10 million. This was back when they were shitting out tomb raiders every other year.

exactly. but ffxv cucks want to believe those game will fail hard