Be me

>be me
>studying game design at uni
>professor emails me over thanksgiving break
>says that I'm doing so well in the class that there isn't anything I can actually get out of it
>recommends I don't even finish my education and go straight into the industry to be a professional game tester
>I'm going to get paid to play games
>I get to try all the games early that Sup Forums wants to play, master them, and then MY input goes into the game's development to change things or make them better
>All the fun of being a gamer, all the power of being a game developer/director

you have 10 seconds to explain how fucking jelly you are.

I wish I got the email sooner so I could have told my whole family at thanksgiving dinner

stopped reading there

>play tester
>been there done that

Go ahead, I'm not jelly at all. Kek.

>Game design
>Enjoying testing

fuckin lol 11/10

i dropped out of college and i make $150/hr doing piss-easy web dev why would i be jealous of you?

Teacher master race. I get to shape young minds with massive amounts of time off topped off with a good salary and absolute job security. Turning your hobby into a job has a decent chance to ruin your love of it

>spend all your working time playing games
>have to rigorously test continually broken alpha / beta messes
>learn to hate them
>can't enjoy games on your downtime

yeah not jealous at all

>game design

LAVREN IS CUTE

I... need... MEMES

Shut up man, why let him know ? Lol

I know this is bait, I'm just surprised no one else does

I'm doing this.
I think it's going to be great as long as I don't have to teach niggers

I'm learning programming, any tips?
What should I learn?

You won't enjoy it.
If you do, the enjoyment will last about a week.
And then you're gonna hate every second of it afterwards.

>studying game design
>become tester
what the fuck?
Im SE and am already gearing up to make a game for the Hololens, how shitty is a game design specific degree anyway?

>jelly
I feel we're past this even being ironic, normalfags don't even say this.

No matter where you are, niggers will always be around. I've gotta kick at least one out of one of my classes a day

Programming.

the folks i'm working for right now have me working in ember.js, and my last job was all python back-end bs. just find something you really like that is still being used and you're basically guaranteed a career.

>no part where your teacher made you their personal cock sleeve
What was the point of this story?

Youre on Sup Forums.
I dont believe you.
Straight up.
Dont lie.

>be me
>prof for game design at uni
>have one dumb fuck in class that can't learn anything
>so dumb he should just drop out of uni
>send him an email over thankgiving break to give him the bad news as gently as I can
>tell him instead of finishing uni, he can just be a beta tester since it doesn't require any real skill
>wish him the best of luck
>satisfied in knowing I don't have to see that dumb fuck for the rest of the year

>studying game design, and not computer science
>don't even finish education
>become a professional wage slave

working in the game industry myself, let me tell you that every play-tester we hand over games to looks like they're ready to blow their brains out

>studying game design
>play testing
>lauren mayberry
how badly should op kill himself

>you have 10 seconds to explain how fucking jelly you are.
Are you retarded? QA is a shitty job.

Nigger not all of us are completely socially and economically inept retards. Some of us can keep our shit on lock in public and can hold down a career

>recommends I don't even finish my education and go straight into the industry to be a professional game tester

He's telling you that you're a failure.

>I get to try all the games early that Sup Forums wants to play, master them, and then MY input goes into the game's development to change things or make them better

It doesn't work that way. You don't get to play games, you play situations over and over again to look for bugs. It's not fun and you get no input.

If hes recommending you to test games rather than try joining a dev team, thats a subtle way of saying you have no talent.

Testers rarely become devs and are generally not thought of being part of the team. They're disposable and usually treated as such.

If you have actual talent you should be working in game jams and trying to get a real position on a team.

9.5/10, he might be able to come to his senses, drop game design and go into comp sci, but he set himself back and is obviously a gullible idiot.

Pretty good bait OP but you should have sprinkled in:
>I do so well in my classes that all I do is rewatch Extra Credits episodes

>Tester
Enjoy running into every fucking seam of every fucking map that the dev has instead of actually playing the game.
Testers don't play games to see if they're enjoyable, they're forced to do mindless repetitive shit in games in order to find bugs while autistically logging every single action that they perform in a journal.

Kek

You wouldn't believe the type of people who visit Sup Forums

>game design degree
>starting out not as a designer
>starting out as a fucking game tester
>u jelly?

Stop posting my waifu, Sup Forumsm.

Does anyone on this fucking site go to school for a real job? or is it constantly video games/computers with you people?

this is the worst fucking bait I've ever seen.

Why do so many posters take it serious then?

Half of Sup Forums is literally autistic. They don't get to choose what they respond to.

A hobby shouldn't be confused with what will be your life's work, if you want to argue semantics like a huge faggot

I have a real job.

>professional game tester
Dude they take people from off the street to do that shit, and you get 0 say in the direction of the game.

In school to be a teacher

Thanks for the laugh OP

>all the power of being a game developer/director
Haha, no. You'd be a glorified NEET, being paid less than average welfare.

Biochemistry major here, currently doing thesis and lab work at a university.Have some experience in the private sector already so I'm not sure if I'm going to pursue a Masters or just do lab work for mad $$$.

>teacher calling their students niggers on Sup Forums
I wonder what kind of teacher you are.

all of this.
"Game tester" requires as much skill as flipping burgers.

Holy shit is this a new pasta?

>be me

You're Lavren Mayberry?

I dont think so but I expect to see it reposted a bunch of times

>>All the fun of being a gamer, all the power of being a game developer/director

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

>board specifically for video games/computers
>confused when visitors of said board persue careers in their interest

Not even a computer major, but you're one dumb asshole.

Your teacher just wants you out of the course because you're a waste of time. Thats why he recommended QA, its the same shit over and over and over and over on the same game for months, have fun getting bored of your hobby on games you might not even want to play.

A normal one.

Nigga everyone knows it's bait, it's just fun talking shit about faggot OP

Trying to turn your hobby into a career literally never works out unless your hobby is something that is already a career

im a doctor
im super jealous of the guy working as a games tester tho wow

"Normal"

Plenty of people do it anyway, or at least try to.

t. Not a teacher

Thats why I don't envy people who play video games "professionally". What do you do if they don't make a sequel, or you age above 30, it just gets sad.

grimes is better than lavren in every conceivable way

Got any funny teacher stories? You seem to be that type of teacher who fucks around with the shitty students. Those were the best.

You shouldn't learn any language but python, if no one asks or pays you to

>mfw not you right now
Good luck finding a job. Good luck trying to get a stable income. Good luck with the debts you've already accrued that you won't pay back because of your shit major.

C to learn how computers work the learn c#/Java to get a job.

If it's the same as engineering then it's good to get a couple years of work experience then possibly pursue a Master's.

If it pays the bills/debts, it's a real job. Period.

Then what should I do, o wise one?

>tfw your teacher is a meme loving fuck

wtf i love school now

Yo, where the lolis at?

Judging from OPs pic I expected lolis in here.

Shitposting from work for a couple of hours now.

semi-similar boat as in. Bio major who managed to get work in a pharmacuetical company with actual salary + benefits.

beyond fucking lucky considering what a slouch i was; i know Masters has to be in the semi-near future to progress but i know fuckall how to push forward and studying for the GRE after full work day + commute is a drag

like turning tricks on a street corner?

>Gets into gamedesign
>Doesnt even know what testing really entails

I've never done it myself, but I know you can practically walk into a game testing center and become a tester. Then you play awful trash games over and over again until you hate playing video games entirely.

So yeah, not jealous at all.

I'm studying physics but I'm lazy as fuck and I can't figure out if I should start working hard and go into research or give in to laziness and go towards teaching

user, let me tell you right now. If you sign up to become an entry level tester, your ability to contribute to a game's design will be negligible. As a tester, you don't play games, you complete list of check boxes. The same lists multiple times a day, every day. Checks like does the character's 2D portrait match his in game 3D model. Did you actually get credited the quest items displayed on the victory screen?

If you want to have actual impact on a game's design, I suggest you look more into an actual game designer position (you should be really good at excel formulas if you want to do well. Those xp curves don't write themselves).

What's a decent job that doesn't require a degree?

wow user! congrats on your shitty minimum wage QA job at EA

>Confirmed 19 and ready to be swindled.

manwhore

>video game related career at all
>don't finish your education

it's a fucking trap switch careers
the industry can find so many people to replace you and work will never be consistent
theres nothing professional about being a game tester it's just there to make it seem better than it actually is and give you a confidence boost about yourself

I'm going to marry Lavren!

OP confirmed for autism.

studying for civil engineering and trying to run a really small scale 1 man business at my own pace

How do I become a teacher?

Do I need a teaching degree?

>go straight into the industry to be a professional game tester
Yeah, drop out so you can work a no respect job where you earn as much as a burger flipper

Isn`t that your fields equivalent of a highschool teacher stapling a McDonalds appliance form to your test

Depends where and what you wanna teach, you can always just move to gook land and teach English where you don't need any formal qualifications outside of a cookie cutter degree.

>drop uni to be a game tester

That's like dropping Harvard to stock shelves, way to go bro.

>taking class for credit and eventual degree
>professor recommends I drop class and drop school

Sounds like you're going places, user

Just be a faggot and learn HTML + CSS + JavaScript and make tons of money for no reason. I hate you web dev faggots so much.

I'm not jelly at all because you've grossly miscalculated what being a game tester is like. You're literally going to be running into walls on Barbie Simulator for the 3DS for hours and hours and then writing long, boring reports that will most likely just get thrown out.

You're a fucking idiot if you think it's fun at all.

If you want to make actual money teaching English, you'll have to get the ESL/CELTA/TEFL certificates and work in China.
Gookland is overrun with disguisting weebs, which means low pay and zero respect.