VR Official

This kills the oculus.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vF6pGfNmG3E
youtube.com/watch?v=Fvobexb0_Qg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pitty, the touch controlers do look really nice but their roomscale solution is bad.

Oculus has always sucked.

>VR in current year
I know people want it but the money and space needed for these things seem self destructive for a home market.
not to mention the many injuries that could result from kids, because they'll always find a way.

And that's why VR is fucking retarded.

But they are almost finished with the in-out tracking. No need for cameras anymore very soon

Nah, that shit is still bad. Look at the kinect.

It's for enthusiasts and rich people.

At this stage I highly recommend VR for people who just want Arcade fun specifically the old Lightgun games. A little Chinese Studio has even made a cheap knock off of Virtua Cop 3.

youtube.com/watch?v=vF6pGfNmG3E

If you just want to shoot things for 30 minutes at a time Vive is insanely fun. And ultimately it takes less space and less money then owning a Time Crisis Cabinet.

Only people who havent tried Vr would say this.

This. It's really an out of this world experience

Climbey wants me to demolish my home. I'm constantly jumping around.

I've tried VR and I don't think it's anything worthwhile.

It's fuck expensive and all the games are trash.

>space needed
I live in a shitty apartment and all I have to do is move 1 small coffee table out of the way to have an empty 2.5x2.5m area.

How can you not find the space?

That's Job Simulator right? I want to play that so badly but fuck paying $30 for it.

>Said the man who just blew $700 on the Vive

So far only thing I paid full price for was Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Handgrenades. And man the /k/ level of obsession that guy puts into that game made it easily for $20. Raw Data was pretty expensive too but worth it at its sales pricetag.

Did you try the vive roomscale? You are the first person I met who has said that.

>tfw you realize everyone in Sup Forums is a poorfag

There are a lot of good free games/mods out there. Just last week Penumbra Overture got roomscale vr support, Doom 3 the week before. Rec Room is also dope.

You aren't really "meeting" him, and it's not hard to lie on an anonymous imageboard.

I have a strong connection to other anons, ok?

I'm actually pretty rich but I live with parents.

If you want to release your game oculus home, you MUST support the oculus front-facing mode. This alone cripples most games.

>Nah, that shit is still bad. Look at the kinect.
you're so fucking retarded. I hope you're trolling

being poor > being retard

You're either a marketer or trying to justify the purchase of your "virtual reality" gimmick, fag

I don't get why it needs THREE cameras when the Vive does tracking almost perfectly with just two. Sounds like someone is incompetent at Facebook.

Then you mean your parents are rich

Anyone making enough money to be considered "rich" doesn't live with their parents.

what purchase? you fucking retard?
can't you fucking read?

I said that oculus is almost ready with their inside-out tracking system. And you won't need to be setting up cameras everywhere.

and you come up with "BUT MUH KINECT HURR DURR" "MARKETER DURRR"

Or most likely, you're trolling because you can't be that retarded and still be able to breath

Don't worry, user. They are just too poor to even contemplate how VR works in reality

no, i've just hoarded money, not enough to buy my own apartment since prices are rigged, unless I want to move middle of nowhere or get loan.

>t. first half of a 5 figure salary

Why exactly do people want this get up and move around bullshit?
Whats wrong with just using the HMD and using a controller?

You are tge only retard in this discussion. You talk about shit you know nothing about and present yourself as an expert. Go drink the kool-aid.

It's gay. Roomscale is so much better, fat fuck.

Not that Google Cardboard shit, retard.

wasting money on useless shit is not sign of rich person

I liked the cardboard vr set you can set up with your phone.

t. Dressing room attendant

>muh fat ad hom

With room scale bullshit you have to constantly "teleport" from place to place. It makes all VR games shitty unplayable gimmicks.

Lots of games support other locomotion systems than teleporting. But you wouldn't know that, you're talking out of your ass again.

I'm not calling you a retard, I'm calling you a troll.
Because the level of retardation that you are displaying cannot exist.
Therefore, you must be a troll.
I am retarded though, for feeding you.

Because it's insanely surreal to actually walk around a VR Room. Also when you have roomscale and motion tracking you can dodge and zip around things.

It's an experience you have to have for yourself, but I still get awestruck thinking about seeing Atlas from Portal standing in front of me.

For the record I have never been impressed by a VR Movie, Vive is so insanely different because it's truly in your face and there's moments where it feels like you're there.

Maybe you should stick to the facts instead of personally attack me, windowlicker. My analogy between inside out tracking and the kinect is perfecrly valid.
>hurr durr implying
That was your level of retort.

>It's for enthusiasts and rich people.
That's funny, because it used to be "VR IS SERIOUSLY GOING TO HAPPEN THIS TIME YOU GUYS."

What happened to that? It couldn't possibly be that VR is a gimmick fad this time just like it always is, could it?

This. Calling seated VR "VR" is an injustice to roomscale VR, and I'm pretty sure it's the basis of almost every "I tried VR and didn't like it" claim.

augmented reality will distroy VR

>My analogy between inside out tracking and the kinect is perfecrly valid.

The Oculus shills who spammed all the Rift threads were paid redditfags. Now all that remains is delusional fanboys who can't curb their autism.

Virtually no one wants to dedicate a full room of their house to this.

see and It's not like that space is permanently tied up like with an arcade machine or something. The space is only dedicated to VR when someone in the household is. Just like if someone in your household were to exercise in front of the TV, or lay on the floor playing video games.

Whole I would never dedicate a whole room of my house to this, this is obviously technology you've never seen. It is great for parties and friends who have never tried it. It is actually a step into the future

>And ultimately it takes less space and less money then owning a Time Crisis Cabinet.
What? A TC cab can be picked up for 300 bucks these days on average. It's far smaller than the recommended play area for the Vive.

I love light gun games. That thing looks like utter shit, I'd have to see someone who isn't a clueless retard playing it though.

You'd get 10 times the fun out of a police 911 cab that you will out of VR at the moment. In 5-10 years, when the tech actually takes off, and everyone ports all the old light gun games to the Vive 2, which has support for a custom gun controller with recoil?

Then you'd be talking my language.

>Virtually no one wants to dedicate a full room of their house to this.
t. European/Apartment dweller

I just had so shift some furniture around in my office and now it's VR equipped. I'm sorry you don't have the space but you're not going to halt my fun.

Vive doesn't use cameras, it uses lasers. What's the real world accuracy of the Oculus, anyway? Vive was about 0.3mm if I remember, I'd be incredibly surprised if they even got close to that with cameras.

Except when you're not playing the Vive it's not taking up space. You don't have to haul a 600 pound arcade cabinet out to the garage every time you're done playing it if you want to keep the space available for use.

you guys who think VR is such an amazing experience that 'you just have to try yourself' really need to take some LSD.

vive uses cameras on the headset to see the lights the station sends out

rift uses cameras on the headset to see the lights the headset sends out

I've done both together. Was good.

>no one wants to dedicate a full room of their house to this.
I got a granny flat out back that hardly sees use. I'll set it up there

>>Except when you're not playing the Vive it's not taking up space.
Well, it is. If you want to play it more than once a year, then you have to keep the area mostly free of shit, otherwise it's a massive hauling job every time.

A cabinet really doesn't take up much space, you can put it in the corner of a room.

Don't wanna be degenerate like you sorri

You're going to lug your rig out there every time you want to play?

>massive hauling job
If you can't move a chair and a table out of the way for the space required and have the space, then your place is a mess and you should clean it up regardless

Mfw I got a Oculus Rift DK2 yesterday for 180 dollars. Mfw it was only used by some optics company for a showcase that lasted three days.

Mfw playing VR Metroid Prime on my Oculus, didnt even bother upgrading from my GTX 950

Mfw getting the max 75Hz at 1080p

Rift's tracking is crisper than Vive's, but it's an unfair comparison because the camera is just one meter away from you. Gotta wait for Touch to arrive and set up the not-so-roomscale.

Why the fuck would you do that every time you want to play a game? I can rarely be bothered plugging my PS1 into the TV when I can just boot up an emulator on my PC, you think people are going to shift their rooms around constantly to accommodate a gimmick?

Wait, wasn't Job Simulator supposed to come free with the Vive? Or is that another game I'm thinking of?

I bought a Vive on black friday after having previously used both a friend's Vive and Rift.

The Rift is dogshit, for some reason I can't wear it more than 15 minutes without getting eyestrain, where as I can wear the vive for hours without any ill effects. Motion controls also really make the experience.

I do not regret my purchase, I haven't gotten bored of it yet and I have some interesting ideas for stupid games to make in unity.

>I can rarely be bothered plugging my PS1 into the TV
christ what a lazy piece of shit

Yes i do think people are going to move one piece of furniture a few feet to play a fullscale video game. People as lazy as you aren't going to be interested in the roomscale to begin with because it requires you to stand up

why does this reminds me of this

youtube.com/watch?v=Fvobexb0_Qg

I just wanted a superior TrackIR, and I don't even play "non-game" simulators like Truck Simulator, I just wanted it for racing and space sims.

Seated in any other game would be a bonus, considering I'm not throwing out the idea of using your own head as an analog stick style input.

Thats only pre-black friday. The bundle they come with now includes Zombie Survival Simulator (plantsvszombies wave survival game, not too bad) and some adventure story game thats apparently pretty good.

The best game is free anyway, Rec Room.

how much was it?

2bh this only affects nips and basement neets. Anyone who can reasonably afford this tech should be able to easily field that much space.

That being said who the fuck wants to be standing up running around 2.5 square meters like a spastic, that's why no one bought Kinect or Move or any of that shit. Sit on and spin around on a wheely chair in the corner of your fap cave and be done with it.

£670 next-day delivered.

Did you toggle the IPD on the Rift. That might be why it strains your eyes.

For the record I'm definitely backing the Vive, because damn I'm more interested in what 1/3rd of Valve is making than all the dumb indie studios that Zuckerberg has poached.

While I too was skepticle about waggle 2.0, it really, really, really fucking works. The only time waggle makes any sense is when its 1:1 mapped and you have depth perseption.

Valve ain't doing shit. But the games and stuff that have come out for the vive are already so much better than what is available for teh Rift, which just has some flashy tech demos.

Why would you spend that much when you can pick one up second hand, barely used on eBay for 500?

You can't. The ones on ebay at that price are a scam. I haven't seen a genuine sale for less than £650 and for the price difference I may as well get it brand new and with a warranty.

>LSD
>degenerate

Hope you aren't interested in art, music, genetics or GUIs

The point of VR is to travel to completely virtual worlds, not overlay some geometric patterns on your vision and make the walls breathe.

get some better acid!

Jeff said he was was playing with the new oculus cameras so expect another VRodeo this week.
We will see how it works out.

>room sizing still not enough to do anything substantial without using game controls or changing your character's context to move you further in one direction
Until they answer the question of you personally being able to move more than 2.5 meters from the center, the only games that make sense in it are shooting ranges, cubicles, or fucking sitting down with motion controls. None of those are particularly fun for me, and honestly none of those would make room size matter if I had to pick a brand.

I saw someone made a treadmill/harness set up. That sounds pretty promising, although noisy as shit and probably only cardinal directions.
When are we getting full-dive shit like Custom Robo/Ready Player 1? I wanna give my synapses to the computer as instructions and be inside the game.
I feel like defining this as VR or the future is dangerous, like phone companies defining 4G as a tenth of the original standard's speed and selling it. If we rest on our laurels here and say that VR will only be some faggot with goggles and wiimotes, it'll never get good after the fad dies.

Once you get used to the concept of teleporting it's extremely immersive.

I legitimately get lost in VR. When I take off the Headset I often legitimately don't know where I'll be standing.

Vive for the record is far from perfect. Only in a few games do I ever not notice the"screendoor effect" and looking far away is just blurry by the fact that you're looking at tiny monitors not reality.

A decade from now though, when GPUs can comfortably run in 4K and the Gen 2 or 3 runs at such a high resolution man it'll be amazing. The cheaply made VR Games are already so insanely close to the VR they envisioned in Futurama that it's almost insane to think how far we've come in such a short amount of time.

>>The point of VR is to travel to completely virtual worlds
I've been doing that for 30 years already, why do I need to wear a box on my head and drastically limit my experiences to FPS games with no movement?

Is VR fun? Sure. Is it a gimmick? Absolutely. It doesn't bring anything that interesting to the table. And as a left hander, I'm really not looking forward to another 20 years of "whoops, we just FORGOT about a tenth of the population" again, like we had on the Wii and DS.

Motion controls that work? I had those back in the arcades in the 90s, and in my home the following year. While the sense of scale is neat, the only games where I've been even slightly impressed are the creative ones, and I don't have a creative bone in my body, so building shitty robots out of wood or drawing in 3D aren't really that appealing.

It's an alright second monitor for a few game-types, and I'd be happy to pay 300-400 bucks for a second gen Vive. Is it something I'd buy in the current form? No, it's still miles away from a decent price-point and decent screen tech.

>When I take off the Headset I often legitimately don't know where I'll be standing.
If I close my eyes and spin around while pacing for 20 minutes at random, I don't know where I'll be standing either.

>VR
>you're just floating hands on a screen

This is worse than last gen first person shooters where you're just a floating head on a screen with arms but no legs. That whole floating hands thing just kills the immersion. That really need to do better than that to win me over enough to wanna buy into VR games.

>3,5 m2
they think I live in a castle or something? Oculus would already require me to move my bed and throw away a table.

>That really need
They*

Acid can't conjure things out of nothing nor can it do so in the coherent manner people want from a video game. You reek of someone who had his first trip last week.

VR is a gimmick, the LSD comparison is moronic though.

>Acid can't conjure things out of nothing
damn dude maybe your mind is really creatively, inactive, sorry about that

It doesn't it modifies what's there. Crash Bandicoot isn't going to appear in your living room.

Roomscale is such a fucking gimmick. I just want to buy a headset without any sensors or special controllers, and play my videogames in 3d. When Oculus started announcing their device, I thought it would just be a $300 HMD that you can play your favorite first person games on, sitting behind your desk, using mouse and keyboard. And I would have happily bought it if that was the case. But no, they had to make this a faggy ~experience machine~ with gimmick motion controllers and stupid tech demo games.

it can totally modify that thing into something completely unrecognisable though, I've had 'god' staring out of the water flow of my shower and UFOs tearing holes in the sky

I prefer the games that just show the two controllers to be honest. Feels more realistic and I get happy seeing the game showing me squeeze the triggers. After all I know I'm not in a digital world.

Check out Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Handgrenades or Onward. You could not experience those games without VR.

I totally agree with you that VR is right now overpriced and far from perfect. But I do see it as another shift in the medium of video games, just as it was a big shift to go from 2D to 3D.

is yo retarded?

I'm on edge about getting a PSVR since I only own a PS4. I feel like I should reeeeaall wait though. Like I'm not really missing out on much. But I'm curious to impulse buy anyway.

Yeah, but it's a completely different experience from what VR tries to offer. Thinking my carpet is an enchanted forest or detergent in milk looks like the souls of the damned.