Sunless Sea/Fallen London

Christmas time is upon the Neath once more. Before too long it will be time for the Twelve Days of Mr Sacks, a veritable orgy of gift giving to spare ourselves the wrath of the Crimson Beast of Winter. What larks.

Also: free goodies every day from the Advent Calendar. Free things are always nice.

Other urls found in this thread:

fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Reginald Renshaw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Some Fallen London-user please be kind enough to explain Destinies to a poor new player. Do I need to meet any prerequisites to unlock any that aren't Passion at Neathmas?

Also, thanks to whoever linked that compilation of ''do you recall how we came to that place?'' in another thread, it's exquisite and sad.
>tfw you haven't played Sunless Sea in a week because you keep getting distracted, and having to restart

So I've been zipping around murdering things with my small, angry vole and memento mori.
At what point should I swap to cargo ship and start hauling coffee? I just love trashing flukes too much.

I'm afraid I cannot help you since the Wiki is being particularly unhelpful. That, and I got my Destiny from last year's Fruits of the Zee festival and haven't bothered to try and change it in all the time since.

There are only a few Fate locked Destinies. And Torment. If Destinies are offered at Christmas you'll be able to pick one up, no problem. Whether it's one you'd like, well, that's another matter.

Oh, and people probably already knew this, but did you know you can get a free Searing Enigma if you visit Irem at a very specific time? Because I just discovered that for the first time and it's amazing.
You know how if you deliver Sphinxstone to Irem for Penstock, as a Poet, the lady who greets you will tell you that ''one day, (she) will ask another captain where that stone was born. That is your riddle. And here is your secret.”?
Turns out if you go to Irem at a particular time, she'll ask you the Riddle of Stone and you get a Searing Enigma.

>Do you recall how they came to that place? And you sang of your lightnings and shapeful disgrace?
>They tilted their vanes and ennobled their spires. You welcomed them then and commingled all choirs.
>You can remember those days.
>It can be as it was.

>At what point should I swap to cargo ship and start hauling coffee?
Only when you want to actually advance that storyline, or if you have something else you want to do on the surface and you can justify making the change of ships, like if you need to get your Yearning, Burning up or smuggle Mirrorcatch Boxes or bring back Supplies for the Work.

Farming Lorn-flukes is the most efficient and best way of farming Echoes and secrets in the game unless they added something even better in Zubmariner, so especially since you've got the Corvette and Memento Mori you're all set.

>at a particular time
As in Time The Healer, random event or just after speaking to her?

The Searing Enigma from Irem is one of the Beginner's Luck bonuses. It's always there unless you've used your Luck at one of the other ports like Avid Horizon, Abbey Rock or the Uttershroom

Alright, thanks very much, user. I found a rough guide to Destinies, but it mentioned that at Hallowmas (which I missed by the skin of my teeth by the time I made my account) you apparently unlock the path which allows you to get one by having certain people visit, and it was unclear as to whether or not that applied at Neathmas, too.

>Whether it's one you'd like, well, that's another matter.
;_;

Oh, is it? Don't you need to have made at least one Delivery from the Salt Lions but not have unlocked your final one?
I could swear when I tried it straight after starting a new game it wasn't there, but maybe I didn't have the Secret to unlock it, I just realised I forgot to check.

There are no visitors at Christmas. At least, none that give you a Destiny like Hallowmas.

Sacks is more about taking things than giving them

>As in Time The Healer, random event or just after speaking to her?
I thought you had to be at a certain part of the Deliveries from the Salt Lions quest, but apparently it's there right from the start of the game as long as you haven't progressed to your final delivery.

>There are no visitors at Christmas. At least, none that give you a Destiny like Hallowmas.
Good to hear, so at least I don't have to worry about scrambling to unlock prerequisites before the season is upon us.
>Sacks is more about taking things than giving them
This isn't particularly comforting, but at the same time, the idea of Neathmas being celebrated with someone who comes to you and demands gifts is amazing.
As a new player, is there anything in particular I should focus on doing at Christmas?
And thanks again for all your help, user/

If you're new you're probably lacking most of the items you'd need to get the "good" outcomes from each Sacks visit. Which isn't so bad, since Connected: The Masters has very little use when you're PoSI and none when you're new. Plus a few other things

Mostly you'll just want to collect Lacre so you can grind up Putting the Pieces Together so you can get a decent reward when the Wicket Gate opens up. One of the Christmas unique lodgings maybe. Or a Noman. Or a Soothe and Cooper Longbox.

Oh, and in the unlikely event someone is poised to find the Cave of the Nadir and needs an Eyeless Skull, I can give you one. Two, even.

For the love of god someone take them

>A Fallen London thread
>In MY Sup Forums
Huh, who would have thunk it.

I love these games but why are they so invested in super long grinding?

Yeah, I could use one. Give me your name so we can friend up.

Are you at the point where you need to have one? I can't gift it, you need to be at that part of the storylet to have the option to ask an acquaintance for one

Not sure yet, all I know is that the option to get to the cave of nadir is up, and I need some eyeless skulls to get in. Currently at sea, so I can't check if there's a storylet option for it yet.

fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Reginald Renshaw

Well, I'm currently balls deep in Flute Street again collecting snippets of fate locked Rubbery lore for the sake of Sup Forums and it'll be a half hour at the least before I'm able to do any London related things. But if you're at sea, and not progressed into the search just yet, I think I'll stay down there for the rest of the day. When you need a Skull just send the request and I'll get around to delivering it

quick! post your favorite port

Sounds good, friendo, thanks.

Not him, but do you mind if I add you as an acquaintance? I don't like randomly adding people, so I've been meaning to add everyone I can from Sup Forums

Irem, and Frostfound.

I'd put some effort into grinding Connected: Revolutionaries, too. One Skull only unlocks the Archaeological expedition to find the Nadir, actually getting in requires 100 Connected, 400 Echoes or 5 extra skulls to trade for a Ray Drenched Cinder

Sure, go right ahead. I don't do much but if you send some social actions my way I'll get around to clicking on them. Good for Second Chance items and Menace reduction

>that fucking music
More warmth than aestival or even the surface.
failbettergames.bandcamp.com/track/hope-is-an-anchor

Alright, thanks again for all your help user. I got distracted by another thread and assumed this one had died.
>tfw I want to be Closest To: the Masters
I'll have a bit more of a look into lacre when the season starts, if I have any more questions I'll just come back to these threads.

Terrific, cheers user!

Great taste, I revise my choice to this now, that's the best song on the whole soundtrack.
>More warmth than aestival or even the surface.
That's because it's the theme to the High Wilderness, that ending was so fucking good.

>tfw can't stay to keep the thread alive any longer
Still, thanks for a comfy thread so far, Captains.

>spoiler
Think it will return for sunless skies?

>Think it will return for sunless skies?
I hope so. As much as I would love it to be, say, the menu theme or the home port there, they might be worried about it losing some of its impact if that were the case. Using a slight rearrangement for those could work, and it can return in its original glory for a slightly-hard-to-get-to spaceport like Pt Carnelian was, and ending music again. The best ending, considering that's what the Venturer's was.

>Closest To: the Masters
Ah, if only

Maybe they'll get a Connected card one day, at the very least. They finally gave one to the Rubbery Men but they didn't get a Closest To option for whatever reason

>hope is an anchor remix for menu theme or home port

>last year's Advent gave out a Rat of Glory which could be used for a free 500 Echo Scuttering Squad companion

>People keep talking about my hometown
>Apparently it's the name of the world of a computer game
>Forever confused

You live in London? My condolences

Naw, Neath.

It's also a shitty sinkhole, but only because it's in a valley with four miserable areas feeding into it.

If there was no grind, you'd hit the content wall in a few hours instead of a few weeks