So, what did Breen do bad again?

So, what did Breen do bad again?
He saved the human race from being wiped out.....

Why is no one posting

Breen initially saved the human race from extinction but from then on worked against its best interests purely to save his own hide

If he had the best interests of humanity in mind he would have worked subversively or against the Combine in any ways he could, instead he worked against humanity's best hopes and attempted to put the rebels down at any cost

I guess if you wanted to get into crackpot fanfiction theory territory you could say the reason the combine lost was breen sabotaging them

He could've sabotaged the portal and the tower, perhaps even committing it to a self-destruction.

thats what traitors said about pétain

Ronald Reagan often refereed to America as a shining city upon a hill. Valve was that city from 1998 to 20011, at least for the gaming industry. They gave the developers an ideal to strive for. Now all developers see is a store page, and multiplayer micro transactions.

I don't understand how Breen could have made a deal with the Combine.
I mean, they literally conquered the earth in 7 hours. Why did they sit with him and agreed to anything he asked? Why do they need him?

Arguably their goal was never annihilation of humanity but more of understanding of the Black Mesa event (which was the whole reason they invaded), Breen was the only scientist who fessed up and began talks with them and began sharing knowledge in exchange for not wiping out humanity (which was likely never one of their biggest interests)

They didn't invade just for resources or more land, they wanted the technology and understanding of the Black Mesa portal shit. Earth's resources and human levies just happened to be a part of the deal

I didn't remember all that, thanks man.

How did he work
Against humans lmao

He was the administrator of black Mesa you cuck not just a scientist

>1998 to 20011
Damn, so Valve's gonna be that hill for a long time

pretty good theory, however the combine invaded other worlds through the use of portals, so it doesn't make sense that they would need that kind of knowledge from humans

the important thing to remember is that the combine didn't win the 7 hours war decisively, but rather humanity surrendered quickly. desu this is kind of unrealistic, however it's assumed that breen and the combine met with every world leader and either eliminated or forcefully coerced them into submitting. the months and years after that were undoubtly spent mopping up any remaining fragments of organized military resistance. breen and the combine controlled only the metropolises of earth, leaving the countryside to remain wild, free, an unprotected to become easy pickings for combine resource harvesters.

think of rome or the united states situation in iraq. sure they might be super powerful but they can't commit all of their resources to one planet. it's much easier to instate a puppet government that is easily controllable. there are just too many humans on the planet to eradicate them all without completely destroying the earth.

HL3 when!?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

He sold mankind to the combine.

Has been a long while since the last time I played HL2.
Was Breen even able to successfully create a new portal??
Nobody really knew what happened when Freeman electrocuted the cheese and even if he understood that he needed more cheese.

FULLY MODELED

Actually just finished episodes 1 and 2 for the first time after putting it off for so long, AMA

>combine didn't win the 7 hours war decisively
The combined military might of humanity was essentially eradicated.

Combine's actual military (not the shitty augmented human occupation force) is some scary shit, the Raising the Bar book mentioned nanite weapons that are unloaded from canisters which'll slowly pick you apart from the inside. Then there's the Volkgswagen-sized flying units armed with beam weapons that'll casually go through the front of a MBT and the three cityblocks behind it.

Why did you feel the need to share this with the group?

>pretty good theory, however the combine invaded other worlds through the use of portals, so it doesn't make sense that they would need that kind of knowledge from humans
wasn't it something like the black-mesa portal thing would allow them to act much more efficiently (i forget if energy wise, or temporally, or what.) whereas their current technology was less good?

i forget the exact details because i never actually finished the game but i'm sure i read it somewhere.

Yes, the resonance cascade acted like a beacon for them.

sent you a gold ;)

shit i really need to read Raising the Bar

He decided to live in splendor while people became livestock for the combine.

>So, what did Breen do bad
English, motherfucker.

this is really nice

I wonder how much noise it makes

It is important to remember that humanity was not facing the combine directly after the events of half life 1. There were, in fact, several years in which portal storms ravaged the earth. Humanity for the most part was forced to retreat into large cities that were staffed by armed militaries in order to stay safe from the feral alien entities that would randomly teleport in. You could say that this made them a bit of an easier target, since almost all of humanity was holed up in easily targetable population centers.

He literally did nothing wrong.

>There were, in fact, several years in which portal storms ravaged the earth. Humanity for the most part was forced to retreat into large cities that were staffed by armed militaries in order to stay safe from the feral alien entities that would randomly teleport in.
why isn't this a source mod?

>so it doesn't make sense that they would need that kind of knowledge from humans

combine portals were hilariously shitty in comparison to ours. they needed massive slow charging machinery, and the portals only worked one way. humanity's needed relatively little power, were much quicker, and could teleport in local space, as well as into other dimensions.

They couldn't teleport locally. They could teleport from universe A to universe B but once they were there they had to rely on regular modes of transportation.