Can somebody explain to me the appeal of this series...

Can somebody explain to me the appeal of this series? I played it and was flummoxed by how little motivated I was to do anything in the game, as it all seemed uninteresting. I'm not trying to bait anyone, I just don't get it.

Other people are motivated to do things in the game and find it interesting.

Building a community.

>tfw this thread makes me want to check my village after a year

Isabelle.

same reason people like the sims

It's comfy.
I'm not meming, it's a relaxing grind and collectathon with a shitload of customization. Building your own town exactly how you want it is nice to some people.
Plus waifus.

Okay, but why?

Because they do.
Some people like skiing, some people like sushi, some people like to have their face shit on by beautiful women.
Sometimes you don't need to know all the whys and hows of life.

I've played the Sims once, I get that people might enjoy having complete control over the lives of the Sims, which isn't really something that can be duplicated in Animal Crossing.

it's a life sim, they're similar enough

Valid question and I honestly couldn't tell you either. I do know that people who like the franchise focus on different things too. Like my favorite shit was collecting all the bugs and fish and making maximum profit. The whole house design shit doesn't really appeal to me and I eventually get tired of villagers.

i find the game nostalgic and therapeutic

I might not "need" it, but wanted an explanation, or some kind of indication of why someone would like it.

you have to have autism or be a girl to like it

which is why I got it for my girlfriend for christmas, because she meets both criteria

Animal Crossing isn't a game that you're supposed to spend many hours on in one sitting. It's a game you occasionally check up on and play for like maybe 10-60 minutes a sitting. Some people enjoy a game like that which has no set objective, and relies entirely on the player. It's also comfy as fuck, especially around this time during the winter.

It's simple and relaxing, you set your own goals or do stuff for your villagers, who are cute animals that you'll probably like because they're cute animals, there's lots to collect and to do and it feels rewarding to donate to the museum or pay off loans, you can make lots of money and live in a mansion, you can live in a hovel for the entire length of the game if you want.

At the end it's still down to people liking it because they do.

play the gamecube version and see

I tried playing the Wii version, and I don't remember if I was doing anything at all. I didn't play it that much, but I think it was clear that it wasn't the game for me.

This, although it's a horrible and overused term it's a game that actually qualifies as comfy. You go at your own pace and just spend a little bit of time a day managing a town with no pressure.

Kind of answers your quesiton then, don't it.

it's more of a kids game where you can be enthralled doing nothing. As an adult, it doesn't cut it anymore. (unless it's the first one you've played... then maybe)

I think you're confused, it's children who need constant stimulation in their media to be entertained. Like jangling keys in front of their faces.

Animal Crossing is actually quite popular among adults, mostly women. It also helps that it's meant to be played in short bursts so even if you're a busy person you can fit a small spot in your schedule for the game.

If you're more into games that have intense action then yeah, this sort of game is gonna bore you to death.

Not necessarily "intense action" games, but games with engaging stories, or a large amount of visual variety, or games that present a challenge, and what little I played and seen of the game, Animal Crossing doesn't deliver on any of thos.

It doesn't deliver any of those because it doesn't ever try to.

Okay. I was merely saying what I wanted from games and what Animal Crossing doesn't give.

No. People like what they like and you are not superior for not liking certain things.
You are an idiot, grow up.

I was just asking why people liked it, and several people gave decent responses. I don't see why it was helpful to say that I'm not superior.

>You are an idiot
>grow up.
K