How important is a game's soundtrack to you?

How important is a game's soundtrack to you?

I like a good soundtrack, but it's not a big deal if it has a bad one. I can just mute it and play my own music.

Music is basically one of the only things games do pretty well these days. I mean when is the last time you played a new game with a legitimately bad soundtrack?

It can make or break an experience, but good game mechanics are what keeps me around. I am, however, intent on playing Nier BECAUSE the soundtrack is so good.

It's my number 2 right next to story or gameplay depending on the genre. I cannot bear a bad soundtrack for anything. I can't even play a game with a bad soundtrack.

Well, the OST is probably the biggest reason of why I hated MGR.

Then again, it's also a pretty bad game, so there's a ton of things wrong with it.

One of the most important things next to gameplay IMO.

As long as it's not painful to listen to, I wouldn't say music is my top priority. A good soundtrack isn't enough to save a really terrible game.

But when it builds off of other elements, it can really enhance the experience.

Imagine if Fable didn't have its soundtrack.

A good soundtrack will get me to play the game, even if I know nothing about it.

Here's your (you)

Not really that important. A great soundtrack is always welcome but a mediocre/forgettable one won't ruin the entire game for me.

Pretty important. Not an important as gameplay, but up there with, or maybe slightly higher than, visual design.

nearly all of why I'm thinking about picking up automata is is weight of the world and the fact that I loved the nier soundtrack despite never playing it

>I loved the nier soundtrack despite never playing it

Play that shit. That soundtrack with the story and characters really all come together. Especially at the end.

I always felt that the soundtrack is one of the most important things in a videogame.
It is what makes a game memorable.

Not important at all for me, I usually tune out most the music while playing.

However when I come back to a game or listen to an OST online a good soundtrack makes me appreciate the work put into a game more.

Quite important. A good OST makes the game more memorable, that's for sure.

I didnt love Nier but the music was excecuted so well in every situation its used for. Only reason i kept playing was the music.

i have yet to play a bad game with a fantastic soundtrack

More important to me than graphics for sure. A soundtrack can completely transform the feeling of a game. Supposedly, Lost Vikings was originally going to have a traditional-style boom'n'brass soundtrack, but they experimented with hip-hop on a whim and I really think it helped make the game more memorable.

I'd say my estimation of the importance of aesthetics goes like this:
Soundtrack > Artwork & Design > Graphics & Animation > Sound Effects > Voice

For Sony and Microsoft tards it means a lot since they're used to overly bombastic scores from JRPG and Hollywood-esque titles that try to make you feel something more than simplistic game mechanics.

Video game soundtracks are very important or not at all. Most Sony/MS games are better off without a soundtrack as they are realism simulators. For games with more class, more style, the expertly composed soundtrack wonderfully complements the experience.

All this is to say is that soundtracks are more important for Japanese products while sound design is more important for non-Japanese products.

Also no fucking lyrics should be in videogame soundtracks all across the board. fucking weeaboo ff fans.

Not really bad but there are bland soundtracks that do the bare minimum of supporting the respective atmosphere.

depends on the game
most games - as long as its not annoying i don't care, its just back ground noise and i usually turn it down so i can barely hear it anyway
Grand Theft Auto - music should fit the era which they've done a good job with and they've had a good variety

>if you don't like nu-rock-metal and stale controls you're baiting

lol

OST is of modest importance but I place more emphasis on overall sound design. The OST is part of that, but things like the natural sounds of the world, sounds that characters make or even clever use of a lack of sound can go pretty damn far with me.