Why is this so hard

why is this so hard

why?

What's so hard?

It's not that bad. Hardest part of the game is getting ambushed by wolves in the beginning and going through the bandit camp.

the game

i feel like im playing a reloading simulator

>bandit camp
You don't even have to fight anybody save the 4 guys in the tent

What's your class/weapon/party?

How do you play these games with those out dated graphics? I tried playing icewind dale 2 and it was so ugly

Yeah but what's the point in not clearing it entirely? Point is your mages will be squishy as fuck still by then and the camp swarms you with archers and Taurgosz Khosann is an absolute pain in the ass to bring down compared to what you usually face.

(You)

Normal bandit can be put to sleep and Taurgosz disabled easily but to be fair i pretty much do everything i can before heading there

d&d rules are brutal for low-level characters, things improve once you get hp and better rolls

Fighter, some kind of sword, not sure can't remember the name but pretty sure I'm only with like 1 dude.

I just wanted to smash faces

its just confusing because NWN was mind numbingly easy and NWN 2 is pretty easy so far too, with the hardest part being not just dropping it because christ the campaign is generic

> I'm only with like 1 dude.
In your party? You'd probably want 6 people in your party as opposed to 2

Also fighter is an easy enough class, dump as much points into your prefered weapon skill class and grab the Ankheg Plate from Nashkel as soon as you can.

AC should be negative
hurdled that fact the hard way
THAC0 is retarded

As always. Fallout 4 and Skyrim are games for your generation. Play those instead.

Low level whatever edition this is characters are made of glass

Humans > all
dual class > multi class

best weapon description

Mages with contingency shit is why.

Surprise, AD&D is a shit system.

i prolly need to get further in story for more people but everywhere i go i just die

im an orc or half orc or something for the roleplaying

you get to a party of 4 in the first map after leaving candlekeep, by literally just following the road.
If you keep following the road for two maps, you have a full party with every basic need covered.

I assume you have read up on AD&D and your stats aren't complete shit?

Also, why do you have only one guy? You meet Xzar and Montaron on the way to the Friendly Arm where you also meet Jaheira and Khalid. The game literally tells you where you need to go. And in Beregost you meet Minsc who's one of the most useful fighters (technically he's a ranger) in the game.

I enjoyed the Cera Sumat more.

Thac0 is the exact same system as later editions, only badly formulated.

Who /kivan/ here?

Why the fuck wasn't he in 2?

You don't need to get that far really. There's companions in literally every area in the game. Even more so if you have the Enhanced Ediiton. It's a lot easier later on.

>im an orc or half orc or something for the roleplaying
playing the meme version then which makes it even easier for you

Because they'd probably kill him off like most of the BG1 companions.

>And in Beregost you meet Minsc
No, garrick, kagain and neera if EE.
Minsk is further down in nashkell, along with edwin and rasaad, another EE special snowflake [donut steal].

AC should be negative?
Fuck me no wonder I was having difficulty with BG 1 and 2

I had 5 party members attack with bows and slings with a single guy tanking the hits. Early game was extremely easy.
Later on I added a cleric to help with tanking and healing the main tank, and I have Kivan switch from bow to spear when needed. Definitely not an easy game at this point though, but I love it so far (I'm at chapter 6).

It's really not hard to figure out how it works unless you yourself are retarded.

I only realised half way through that most stats should be lower when I was suspicious that the Studded Leather Armour I equipped on everyone was "better" than Full Plate Mail.

I don't know what they were thinking with Thac0.
In a sensible interpretarion of the system (i.e. everything after ad&d) enemy stats represent difficulty you roll toward and your character's skill gives modifiers to roll.
Thac0 makes your skill the roll target an turns enemies into modifiers. Completely backwards logic.

>that Interplay logo
Fuck, it's just perfect.

fairly sure i just let the game do my stats if that was an option. was ages ago i made the guy, decided to play again since nwn2 campaign is so boring, then remembered why i quit

not entirely sure where i am or what im doing. should prolly just start over and beeline for allies

Reading through the thread, You need to use bows and have a mage and cleric for cc, buffs, and utility. I'm not sure how much it changed from the original, but due to the move speed ranged attacks were king.

I think your biggest issue would be doing a party of one man and only doing melee. This isn't diablo, you have like maybe 15 health, you will die very quickly if you aren't playing smart.

In case you need a tl;dr or just skim over this, GET SOME COMPANIONS

That is almost all you need, just add dispel to remove mage's protection from missiles buff and the game is pretty easy.

Yeah, also the AI is absolutely atrocious so you should be able to basically have archers or mages focus on the enemy while you run around in a loop, or jump in and out of interiors to drag enemies into a more preferable position (espcially mages).

BG1 isn't difficult, its tedious
early on its 5% skill 95% diceroll and you don't have enough hp yet to tank a bad roll

How do you explain no reload runs? I wouldn't say skill is a major factor, but planning and knowledge make a huge difference, like the difference between facerolling everything or complaining on image boards about the game being too difficult.

Why would he, he was one of the more hidden characters, there was nothing especially likable about him either.
Only dynaheir and kahlid are dead by the beginning of BG2. All other deaths, 6 at maximum, only happen when the player does a certain quest, and tiax can even survive.
7-8 of 25 is not "most".

>How do you explain no reload runs?
cheese

Sure if you know all the bugs and flaws in the game's AI and mechanics you can technically alleviate it but for everyone else, you can't really prepare for a bow crit that hits for more than your total health.

>early on its 5% skill 95% diceroll
Spoken like a true shitter.

>autopause at enemy spotted
>spotting an enemy does not initiat combat
>move back and unpause
>buff
>fireball
>mop up
>_cheese_
You have no idea how to play this game.

>you can't really prepare for a bow crit that hits for more than your total health
It's called wearing an helmet

mind explaining me the trick you're using to cast a lv 3 spell at lv 2?

BG 1 tips:

>piercing armor class matters
It is usually worth having your best armored character (we're talking piercing AC0 or better) being the one to explore in places you think/know there are ranged enemies. Ranged enemies will shred your higher AC champions, making party positioning very important when discovering enemies. Speaking of ranged weapons...

>Ranged weapons (esp. arrows) are OP
Ranged weapons typically have higher attacks per turn, similar damage outputs to non-strength boosted characters' melee, and allow for safer positioning. Magical arrows in BG 1 are actually VERY powerful, in the hands of a high dex archer (you get 18 dex gloves early), you can kill many enemies before they can lay a hand on you. Speaking of which,

>Kiting is key
At least in the early game. Even your min-max'd fighter can be 2 shot or critted at level 1. Practicing your kiting (speed factor is important here if you want to swing back as well) on early ogres and bears will help out a lot.

>raw stats are important
Just due to the nature of D&D, you have very little to play with in terms of spells and magical items in the early levels. This means that the character you rolled (and to a lesser extent: the characters you choose to have with you) need to be able to do the business using just their stats and the one or two weapons they're skilled with. This isn't saying that you have to min-max, just that you'll find the game considerably easier in the early game if you use strength and dex potions on your melee and ranged champs, respectively.

>read a little about how stats work
16 consitution is an important number for non-fighters
do you know how intelligence and wisdom impact the number of spells you can learn?
how much strength do you need to wear full plate?

Honestly, once you get over the speed bump that is level 1&2, you'll probably glide through the game with out much trouble.

>throwing fireballs in fog
>not cheesy
wands or scrolls

You can take care that the bow enemies do not fire upon your 4HP characters, for one, you can focus them down with your own ranged, and you gain levels so fast by simply doing the basic stuff in the beginning that you are out of bowcrit range by playing for 2-4 hours.

There are several ways to prevent that, Protection from missles, scouting ahead with stealth or invisibility, or HELMETS PROTECT FROM CRITICAL HITS MAYBE YOUR FUCKING FIGHTERS SHOULD BE UP FRONT LIKE HOLY SHIT HOW IS THIS NOT THE OBVIOUS SOLUTION.

There are several ways to deal with your problem, just accept the fact that you're an idiot.

something half the classes can't do?

>critical hit and the enemy just explodes

Maybe you shouldn't put those class in the frontline?

There's a lot of shit to learn, but the skinny on rolling stats;
Dexterity is the single most important stat ever and should always be as high as you can make it. Dex determines how often you hit stuff and also gives bonuses to your AC at high dex, so absolutely put it to max.
If you're a non-warrior class, i.e not a Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, or any of their kits, you don't get any bonuses from going above 16 Constitution. If you're a Dwarf, Halfling, or Gnome, you get extra saving throws on certain stuff like spell or poison which is also based on your Con, so you may want to go higher if you're one of those races, but other than that, 16 is all you really need if you're anything else.
Max Strength is necessary on warrior classes to make them do as much damage as they can, as well as make sure they don't get encumbered as they're likely to be wearing heavy armor and shit. Any other class, higher strength is a bonus if you can spare it, but not necessary. Remember that you need a certain amount of Strength to even be able to wear certain shit like Full Plates.
Cont.

Intelligence is almost useless if you are anything but a mage; Intelligence determines how likely a mage is able to write down a spell in their spellbook, as well as the max amount of spells they can have written in their spellbook. For anything else, it's just a Lore bonus which is completely not needed. There are some enemies in BG2 who take away Int with their attacks so don't completely dump Int, but there are many ways to get around fighting them head on, like using Skeletons or just swigging some Int boosting potions.
Wisdom gives Clerics and Druids more spells per level and gives a lore bonus as well. It also benefits mages as it gives them better options from Wish spells, but other than that, it's completely useless.
Charisma is nice to have if you can spare the points, but don't worry too much about it as all it really does is lower shop prices, and sometimes get you a better reward from quests. In BG1, give an NPC with at least 16 Cha Algernon's Cloak/Nymph's Cloak to get the 18 Cha rewards, and in BG2 you get a Cha ring at the very start so it doesn't matter.
Try not to completely dump any stat; 8 or below may or may not give you a penalty to certain shit, I don't remember if that's actually implemented or not. Try to get at least 9 in stats you don't need.

You're a shit system.

Mind explaining why you crawl around dangerous territory at level 2 like a retard?
And even if you cant cast fireball, there is or grease which should take care of everything you would want to engage at level 2, since I assume you are not as completely stupid to fight against everything you encounter without ever pulling back.
>throwing fireballs in fog
>not cheesy
explain to me how exactly preparation and first strike is cheese?
Fireball is almost useless except for starting a fight with an unsuspecting and grouped enemy.

NWN is 3E, not 2E, and is tuned so that shitter classes like Monk can hold their own despite 3/4 BAB and shitty weapons.

Now Storm of Zehir is a completely fucking different story and will ream you for picking shit classes.

You need 9 int to use wands or scroll iirc, so i wouldn't dump it too much for cleric (and maybe thief if uai don't override that limitation)

>he doesn't have a fighter with 100% fire resistance

That's not cheese, that's scouting.

Sup Forums is full of kids that played yuh Fallouts, Planescape Torments and Baldur's Gates and now think they're super WRPG masters. But that's just a RPGcodex-tier delusion. Older RPGs are much more complex and engaging.

(Especially Fallout 2 is just fucking awful full of cringy references and memes. If it came out nowadays, Sup Forums would hate it.)

Oh yeah, this as well.
I think in BG1, a good majority if not all classes can use Wands of Sleep/Fear, so 9 Int to let them use those early on is worth it.

They are CRPGs not WRPGs only JRPG fags use the term WRPGs.

Cool, but you're still an Infinity Engine kid.

If nothing else, that and stuff like Fireball leaving scorched corpses in its wake was something most of the Infinity Engine games got right. It made combat feel so much better.

Too bad IWD2's monster HP was so high that I'd never fucking see it against anything but scrub goblins. What the hell were they thinking?

Sawyer is a hack

I think the blame lies with people like Monte Cook.

Oh, and if you ever feel like playing Sorcerer, their number of spells is based on their level, not their Intelligence. And they don't scribe spells into spellbooks either, so they don't need Intelligence like mages.

>close door

>Throw Khalid in front, he's an awesome tank. >Party formation matters.
>Shields are where it's at.
>Reroll repeatedly for godly stats.
>Save often
>Hit q for quicksave
>Have patience

These are probably the best tips I can give you.
Also, some char art for your pleasure.

Why didn't he just fuck off after you destroyed the Bandit Camp, you mean.

Dice roll + AC = does it meet or beat your thac0 score? Then you hit. Negative AC obviously lowers your dice roll. The system's perfectly fine and logical.

The only thing that catches people is that in many systems, your defense is your opponent's target number to 'hit'. In AD&D 2e, your armor gives your opponent a modifier, and it's their inherent thac0 that's the target number.

The only problem with thac0 and AD&D AC, mechanically, is that it doesn't scale past low to mid powered games, but D&D was never built to be played at high, high power levels. You start to see the system break down a little bit at the levels you reach in BG2: ToB. Where pretty much every attack hits and anything that can be resisted will be resisted, etc.

>Infinity engine kid
>BG, BG2, and PS:T are considered 3 of the best games of all time
Confirmed for shit taste

By clueless people like you.

>get assfucked by mages early on
>find carsomyr on my paladin in bg2
>proceed to assfuck every single mage for the rest of the game

Good times.

You basically need one to do the TotSC tower's final boss anyway. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but.

Carsomyr and its upgraded form is the shit. Almost game breaking, but it's the one significantly redeeming (hurr) thing about playing a Paladin instead of a Fighter or whatever, that makes it actually worth doing.

thanks mangu

think im gonna restart and actually think about how i make my dude this time.

Wizard Slayer/Thief + Carsomyr

Dexterity does not give a to-hit bonus with most attacks. You're thinking of Strength.

You're absolutely right, Dex is for Missile Weapons only.

1. don't fight anything or anyone until you have at least a 5 person party
2. Kill everything in every map.
3. Don't do the main quest - go to all useless side areas and kill everything
4. Game is suddenly easy once you get some level ups and gold for equipment.

The passive resists for Paladins is pretty nice early on.

Am I the only one who actually prefer BG1 to BG2?
BG2 was too much fanservice and power fantasy imo

"
oogha boogha nobody cares you dumb fucking frog-poster

High level D&D can get like that sometimes.

What are the older rpgs you're talking about? Wizardry? Ultima? Older first person dungeon crawlers in general?