What went wrong with this series?

what went wrong with this series?

tell me everything Sup Forums

Nothing much, other than anime sword characters but even then that only really became a problem in Smash 4.
Now that I think about it, a lot of characters in Smash games after 64 are either not well thought out or just plain not fun to play. That's the only thing that's really wrong with the series and even then there's plenty of good characters.

this. the first Smash Bros game had one anime sword guy. the newest one has like, 8 i think? 5 from one game alone? Smash should be mostly iconic characters from many different nintendo franchises. there shouldnt be 5 of the same anime sword guy with different hair colors, only weebs will even recognize those characters

nothing really

New iteration is great so I dunno what you're on about

Levels became too fucking invasive and shitty--shit attacks you, takes out skill. Shitty levels in general

Characters became wayyy to slow.

Day 1 DLC (have to pay to get cloud/boyonetta/etc even though they made them already).

Fuck nintendo, never giving them money ever again.

>Day 1 DLC
do you have a single fucking clue what you're talking about user?

>boyonetta
I highly doubt he does.

Got rid of the story mode for no reason at all

Became more about how many characters are in the game than how can we improve gameplay.
Not implying Smash 4 is bad or whatever but I'm a bit tired of the gameplay. Didn't keep my interest as much as the other 3 titles but I could just be burnt out.

Some people just started taking the game too seriously.

look it up piad nintendoshills

Sakurai came and made the game the opposite of what it became and intentionally did so, not realizing the audience he was targeting liked Melee to begin with. Punishing a player for being skilled is counterproductive in any game, not just Smash. You get better or you don't.

melee autists

Overcasualized it starting with Brawl
Smash 4 fixed it a little but still suffers from the no depth allowed neo-nintendo mindset

no user i think you're the one who needs to look up what day 1 dlc means...

Nigga are you high?

>Now that I think about it, a lot of characters in Smash games after 64 are either not well thought out or just plain not fun to play
Such as?

>Smash 4

>No depth

That's why the best player wins all the tournaments, I'm sure, because the skill ceiling is so very low.

What?

>no more character specific break the targets
>no more character specificboard the platforms
>classic and adventure modes are now crap
>removed the one thing people liked from brawl
>hitstun values and lag on moves values guarantee that matches turn into who gets the most stray hits in neutral for anyone who doesn't learn A-Cancel timings
>Nearly everyone can recover forever thanks to everyone being so floaty or having their recovery buffed, as well as ledge trumping
>stiff and awkward neutral due to removed movement options
>worst balanced smash game since Brawl
>clones who should have been costumes
>not much variety in legal stages

I swear I fucking try to have fun with the game when I'm playing with others and it is fun for a few minutes, but before long I always find myself wishing I was playing another smash game. Heck I think 64 is a better game than this

>>worst balanced smash game since Brawl

>Worst balanced Smash game since the last one which was much worse

It's also much more balanced than melee, are you fucking kidding

They took out Wario's shoulder bash and tire projectiles in 4

oh here we go again with the meme

You're a meme

Smash 4's top characters are diverse and it doesn't feature literally broken, non-functional characters like Kirby

>b-but melee!

same boat, im hoping Smash 5 gets the same jump in mechanics as 64 --> Melee. Supers, grab-teching, whatever

i hope theres a major overhaul of at least a handful of characters. Zelda, Palutena, Lucario, Wario, Little Mac, Sonic, Ganondorf

>Better balanced than Brawl
>Better balanced than Melee

Are you a P:M memer then?

>if I don't like it people who do are memers
grow up

After Melee, it got super stale.

Ah, that explains it then

Enjoy your dead game

Yeah as we all know it's literally impossible to have fun with a game if it's no longer relevant in competitive scenes

Brawl

Tourneyfag autism went to its worst level.

>Brawl
>About half of 4's extra content
That's it

Melee autism

No online stock matches unless you play 1 v 1 no items at Final Destination.

How fucking stupid did they have to be to neglect this?

barely-related, but this is happening in Smash 4 come January

a weird content "update" at a weird ass time

this is probably to stealth murder SmashWiiU modding ability as that would be at odds with the inevitable Smash 4 Switch port

brawl
>sakurai and fans started excusing badly designed stages as """"""""fun""""""" (you literally cannot name a single stage in brawl or 4 that doesnt have a gimmick, stage hazard, or walk off, besides fd and battlefield of course. the balloon in smashville counts)
>game became 30x slower and floatier
>meta knight
>everyone turned to shit
sm4sh
>same shit stages
>split into 2 games because "smash on the go" was """"needed""""
>3ds literally limited the wii u port (didnt allow for ice climbers)
>animu sword men everywhere
>dark pit, dr mario,and fucking lucina
>got rid of sse, the only redeeming quality from brawl
>BOSS STAGES

try and defend any of this

>bayonetta
>cloud
>diddy

Music in Melee and Brawl was top notch.

Smash 4 had horrendous remixes.

Oh, and music makes the game, along with gameplay.

Name ONE great game with shitty music.

id rather they just get the crew back from HAL that made the Melee remixes instead of that huge ensemble for Brawl and 4

Melee's orchestra instead of Sm4shs shitty midi

>muh gimmicks
They're fun. Just select another stage
>the baloon in smashville still counts
amazing
>game become floatier and slower
>meta knight
And they fixed those in sm4sh
>muh walk-offs
>muh clones
>muh anime swordsmen
There they are again, the senseless arguments

Thank you for reminding me of the sin against humanity known as 75m

How the shit was that allowed back in and Pirate ship had to be DLC

Developer is a really big baby that has a lot of spite against competitive games ever since he beat a kid once in SF.

Oh god I hope it doesn't kill modding, modding made Sm4sh actually fun for me again.