Sword & Shield or Dual Wield?

Sword & Shield or Dual Wield?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7_Lkuf-ZmHw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sword and shield is the choice if real men dexfags and plebs get out.

Single two handed weapon or hand to hand whenever possible.

>implying they are different

100+100=
2 0 0

Sword and shield with western weapons, dual weilding with katana or chinese swords.

not trying to be some edgy weeb but dual katana wins hands down
spent 4 years in japan and if anything it taught me that wakizashi is used for defense

but you're fucked if you're against hammer or club though there's no parrying that

DUAL WIELD

>side sword and buckler, dagger, sword, rotella, and cloak
I can do any of them reasonably well.
I also do well with longsword.
This is now a HEMA thread
HEMA fags get in

Two handed.

Fucking groooosss

None. I'll take one giant sword thanks.

Sword and board or a two hander. Only autists dual wield

Hammer and Shield mother fucker

>fuck up helmets and plate armor
>fuck up things without helmets or plate armor because its just a fucking hammer
>can't be parried by dual sword faggotry
>bash with one and hit with the other like a fucking boxer

How the HELL are you supposed to use that thing for anything except to decapitate a horse?

Polearm with a sidesword and buckler on a belt is best, covers most situations

That type of weapon was usaually used to fuck up horses and their rider.

Actually, if memory serves me right, it's the longest sword ever found and was deduced to be a parade sword.
Wasn't actually used in combat.

This

>tfw weilding a giant sword and cleaving your way through a battlefield

If I carried that cowering plate, I'd have no hand for my second sword. And surely that be madness.

>dual wielding with katana

Name a historical person who actually did this.

>dual weilding with katana or chinese sword
I hope you mean holding one sword with two hands.

The guy who allegedly used it was a seven foot tall and the first recorded European with double muscles. It's eleven pounds in weight, if I recall correct.

>Want to play hand to hand
>Game has melee combat
>It's total shit and does no damage
>You can't level it up whatsoever

>double muscles
What?

Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi, the inventor of the two hand katana sword style

crossbow

kek
fucking americans

This is now a Brave Fencer Musashi thread, took me forever to put those two together.

What a retarded looking idiot.

It is what it says on the tin. Belgian Blue Cows all have it. Some dogs have been bred with it. It makes you strong, but also you will require tremendous amounts of food. And lots of protein.
Grutte Pier was his name, if I'm rememering right.

I know how you feel, you can use the caestus +10 and it does a decent amount of damage but even so the range is horrible so you're pretty much never going to hit your target.

I can like both but I'd probably lean towards Sword and Board.

Bonus points for a two-hander sized weapon and shield.

Implying Niten Ichi-ryƫ uses two full length katanas

THIS
Sword + Crossbow in every game that lets me. Flintlock works too.

>the characters just formlessly swing their arms

I want to like HEMA but so much of it is elitist garbage.
> claim to be superior to the jap shit
> training based on interpreting manuals
> half the community either too sporty or believes they are "teh deadly", waiting to sword murder some minority in a bar alley

so much to ask to find good sword Bros who just want to spar hard and not put on false airs the entire time?

Anyways, from what I've learned, short sword or parrying dagger+another short sword= OP as fuck IRL.
And fuck polearms/spears.

I never implied full length katana though
Even Youmu, who I posted here , uses a katana + a wakizashi.

SnS. Bonus points if you can smash the shit out of your enemies with the shield too.

>In 1791, Jacobus Kok wrote that above the porticus of the New City Hall of Leeuwarden, two remarkably large swords were found which were said to have belonged to Grutte Pier and Wijerd Jelckama. Donia was noted for the ability to wield this great sword so efficiently that he could behead multiple people with it in a single blow

Jesus fuck the man is literally Guts.

Sword and shield if the game lets me parry

2 hander if not

I would never duel wield.

>tfw no games that let you play as goblins and take on larger humanoids
Even when goblins are represented on the rare occasions, usually as enemies, they never show up with hobgoblins and bugbears.

look at Musashi invented dual katana wielding to block multiple opponents at a time including shots from arrows, it takes skill but the defense is fucking insane

Such fucking irony that most weebshit media since ancient times use dual wielding as an offensive approach and let their edgy characters flail the swords around like idiots because it looks "cool"

At least Gundam and Gamaran did dual wielding right

>Anyways, from what I've learned, short sword or parrying dagger+another short sword= OP as fuck IRL

>And fuck polearms/spears.

And how would you fight a spear wielder with that getup?

>caestus+15 with darkmoon weapon

I remember having tons of fun in DaS2 with a pvp build consisting of only the stone ring and vanquisher's seal. You'd almost never land a hit, but if you did you could lay into them until your stamina was gone and there was shit all they could do about it. Good times.

Just play DaS2 already.

You can't. That's why I said fuck polearms and spears. You can't really just chop them in half like the movies claim and successfully binding or a parrying it doesn't give you a good target like it would against another sword.

It's silly as hell but I love either a mid sized shield + huge ass sword or massive tower shield and tiny shortsword or handaxe and no armor

Dual wield shields

>not mastering the art of turning your sword into a projectile to outrange the spearfags

Where you at?
You'll find autists like that in any MA community, by the way. You have to look for the best instructor in your area.
The whole superiority to Japanese thing is mostly dead in the practicing community. You only see it in online autism. It was a reaction to weeb autism in the first place. Now that HEMA's established, that attitude is dead.
My local club works alongside a Chinese club that does swords, Kendo, and Olympic fencing. It's pretty cool to see the cross club fight nights.
As for studying from manuals, that's what we need to do. You can't learn 14thc longsword from a master who has twenty years of fights and learned from a master before him. So historic sources are important for historic accuracy.
As for sport, can you think of any application for learning sword fighting other than sport?
The important thing is to not forget that. So we don't end up like Kendo and Olympic fencing.

T. Twelve years a HEMAfag
I'm biased. But that's my opinion. Still want you to head to a club.

>Tfw into Goblin
>Tfw modern time made them go from small cunning creatures to bbw fetish

Polearm OP.

The only time they don't have a significant advantage is when they are in a pure melee with friendlies and enemies all up in their ass. Otherwise, 1v1 they wreck house, and group vs group they still clean up so long as they are trained.

I like both of these things. It depends on my mood. If I can do both, even better, one of the reasons I like party RPGs so much.

>Tfw modern time made them go from small cunning creatures to bbw fetish
I seriously have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm talking about the thicc bullshit.
I'm exagerating, I know, but I see more and more Goblins depiction of female with giant ass and legs and it's bothering my autism.

Goblins are ugly, scrawny, and skinny.

You CAN chop them in half.

That's what greatswords were made to do. Fuck up spears by holding it at the hilt, and then basically be a spear with one hand at the base and the other on the strip of leather in the middle.

Two shields

Two hander were made to break spear formation but the guy is talking going up against a spearfag with a parrying dagger and a short sword.

Oh, fair enough. Yeah, I get what you mean. I just imagine that they have different body shapes depending on what they do for a living. They're more fit when they're warriors, but more plump when they're doing other stuff.

Without giving myself out, central Texas. I've had experience in a few HEMA camps, some were great, so mind you I'm not trash talking them all. I've probably put a few hundred of hours into mma/kenjutsu/kendo, and like a dozen in HEMA. I love it, but I love training, sparring, and the actual historical discussion.

I remember having to sit through a lecture where a guy swore using HEMA wrestling techniques, he'd destroyed multiple bjj black belts. One of the manu small examples that Ruined his credibility to me as that's how the ninjers talk.

Just gotta get inside their reach, senpai. Berserker charge that motherfucker and get inside the range he can actually stab you from.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not going "stop liking what I don't like", hell I beat it to "generic" goblins occasionally, all I'm saying is that it's a bit too heavily leaned on the thick stuff is all.

I also just really wish Goblins would be more present in fantasy in general, more Goblin focused game would be really cool.
I just really, really like Goblins man.

>Not just a single one-handed sword and nothing else

Don't hit the camera, man.

I agree, Goblins are awesome. I don't know why they're so unpopular.

SWITCH AXE ALL THE WAY

Yeah. Definitely avoid the ninjas. But if you've done other MA and sword stuff, keep doing HEMA too. Just stick with the groups you like, and look at the sources yourself. All HEMA students should study the sources. At least in a cursory glance.
You sound like you enjoy HEMA, but have problems with some of the community. And that's cool. HEMA isn't perfect.

>OP as fuck IRL

Most every weapon/combination was situational and designed for a particular purpose.

Polearms are for fighting in a formation and for anti-cavalry.
Hammers, maces, and the like are for fighting against heavy armor.
Shields come in different varieties. Large tower shields are for defending the formation against archers, whereas smaller shields are for melee. The latter were as much bashing/pushing tools as they were defensive gear.
Swords generally excel in one-on-one fights. However the swinging motion is pretty much useless against heavy armor as the blade's edge isn't going to cut through a solid steel plate. Against a plate-armored foe you would use two-handed thrusts to strike the vulnerable joints, or hold the sword by the blade and use the hilt as a bashing weapon.

>Texas
Not him, but you're fortunate, I wish I could find an actual kenjutsu place around here in MA. And even if I did, most schools seem to avoid sparring. Only really have iaido and kendo to go off of here, which are fun but aren't really what I'm looking for.

This nigga gets it

Bonus points if it's a rapier

Any decent formation/spear user wouldn't allow that, plus all they'd all they'd have to do is chock up on the spear. Its not like a sword, they don't need to only be held by the end.

dual shield

One-handed sword + off-hand gauntlet for grappling, blocking and punching.

Why not start one?
Find a Kenjutsu instructor who will teach you how to self study, maybe mentor you as an instructor.
You could be the Kenjutsu guy in your area.
Ask the other Japanese swordsmanship classes if they also do Kenjutsu, or if they'll do it in a private tutoring class.

Dual wield, two swords is twice the damage obviously.

I could write a book about the ninjas, I'm just leary to see any semblance of their bullshido in Hema, which I hold far more Seriously.
half swording, I'm aware of the situational purpose. However, I never expected two swording to be effective irl till i got my assignment handed to me back to back by two different people using a parry dagger.
sparring in kenjutsu is SUPER fucking rare, and yes I lucked up. That said though, the school I learned under had a troubled lineage specifically because the ryu shunned westerners, and I have a high suspicion in everything from Iaido to kenjutsu, many westerners are getting the scraps at the dinner table - or too many old japanese are scared of fighting.

It makes sense though, doesn't it? If the game also allows you to carry weapons there's no reason to fight with bare hands.

I'm not gonna act like that's not the most likely thing to happen, but fights can be unpredictable. High risk, high reward. If someone can get the drop on or outspeed a spear user, it would work. Having a better weapon, hell, even being a better fighter doesn't guarantee you a win.

I'm trying to say you're right, but the exception does exist.

Heavy Upgrade + Lightning blade
do the poise pose and you become a boxer in the name of god

In one on one Combat sword/plated glove is also a viable Option

I CHOOSE FIST!

Sword n' board every day, dual wield is a meme.

Shield & spear

patrician's choice

MY BEAR HANDS MOTHERFUCKER
youtube.com/watch?v=7_Lkuf-ZmHw

Getting close to a spear user in single combat would be easy as fuck and anyone claiming spears are actually good outside formations are just as bad as katama memers.

>being fans of filthy little murderous gobs

>All these two sword fags

Obvious choice is hand-and-a-half sword with occasional shield. Mixes the best of offense by allowing a two-handed stance while also letting you use a shield when needed.

Humie go home

goddamn you are fucking stupid, there's a difference between a 6 foot spear and a 20 foot pike

best fantasy settings have gobs as (mostly) well groomed friends

Half swording is what the guy on the left is doing, holding the blade to use the hilt to smack the fuck out of your opponent is "Mordhau".

So SAO fans?

people who think getting close to a spear user would be easy even in single combat are just as bad as katana memers

You know who else like using shields?
Pussies