Capcom: Hey MvC fans. Buy the MvC2 re-release and we'll see if there's enough interest in MvC3

>Capcom: Hey MvC fans. Buy the MvC2 re-release and we'll see if there's enough interest in MvC3
>MvC fans: Sure!
>MvC3 gets made

>Capcom: Ok Darkstalkers fans. Same thing!
>Darkstalkers Fans: No. This game is old. We want a new one.
>Capcom: We won't just make a game if no one is interested in the series
>DF: Ugh all you make is Street Fighter

this

I bought Resurrection and I agree with this. The majority of fans are waifufags who don't play the games. Just another reason why waifus need to stay out of Infinite.

Except Darkstalkers 3 already had a remake or 2 recently before Resurrection.

Time to let go.

more like

>MAHVEL 2 GET HYPE
>OOOOHHHHHH
>Mahvel 3

>here buy this 50th re-re-re-release of darkstalkers with filters and over-the-shoulder views that we didn't advertise at all
>hmm nobody bought it guess nobody wants a new darkstalkers :^)

>years between Chaos Tower on PSP and Resurrection: 8
>years between MvC2 PS2 and PS3 release: 7

"Buy this game you already own three or four times over different platforms and we might consider doing a follow up."

Yeah... sure.

I bought Resurrection but what kinds of numbers were Capcom expecting?

>So h-hey guys do you still want old DMC?
>DMC4SE sells so well it literally saves Capcom's financial quarter.

The problem with Resurrection is that an "arcade perfect" rerelease meant a less feature and character rich game than previous ports.

>"Buy this game you already own three or four times over different platforms and we might consider doing a follow up."
>Yeah... sure.

When they did and it worked out for other franchises why wouldn't it for this one

Did it really sold well?

Marvel vs Capcom Origins didn't perform that well either fyi, it came out around the same time Darkstalkers Resurrection did

Before Capcom released Resurrection, Darkstalkers 1 and 3 were on PSN for download, but they were the PSX versions. They also had no online built into them, they were just straight ports

There was barely any marketing for Resurrection from Capcom either, of course it wasn't going to sell well because 1.) these rereleases were targeted toward core fighting game fans, the casual audience wouldn't know wtf Darkstalkers was besides fans who grew up with it, and 2.) Darkstalkers fan have already bought like 7 ports of Vampire Savior since 1997, Capcom gauging the franchise vitality on yet another rerelease was stupid, but that's how Japan works. If they don't see the numbers they want they even bother

Darkstalkers will never get a new game but I hope they use the characters in more crossover fighters besides just Morrigan and the girls, because the brand appeal of Darkstalkers has always been the characters

That all said, everyones a fucking scrub with shit taste because Vampire Savior is one of the best fighting games ever made and people need to play it more. Fuck you all

>Ugh, fucking customers, they ACTUALLY expect us to take risks as a business? What the fuck?
Fuck off.

>Did it really sold well?
Yes.

Dante's VA confirmed it blew way past Capcom's expectations.

I bought it and I didn't even know they were using it to gauge interest in DS4.

I bought all the art books and Resurrection too. I will never not be mad about this.

>Capcom gauging the franchise vitality on yet another rerelease was stupid, but that's how Japan works. If they don't see the numbers they want they even bother

Worked for Resident Evil, Megaman, MvC, Devil May Cry, Phoenix Wright, and Dead Rising

You just listed franchises that were always more popular than Darkstalkers, you also cherry picked a small line from my whole post and disregarded what I said earlier;
>1.) these rereleases were targeted toward core fighting game fans, the casual audience wouldn't know wtf Darkstalkers was besides fans who grew up with it, and 2.) Darkstalkers fan have already bought like 7 ports of Vampire Savior since 1997

Either way you're both right but you're also a faggot like everyone else who blames DS:R's "flop" on the "fans," everyone knows Darkstalkers is niche. Expecting DS:R to pull Marvel 2 numbers was a very flawed plan to begin with

>Phoenix Wright series
>not niche

In what world?

Phoenix Wright series is nowhere near as niche as Darkstalkers. I would argue Cyberbots, Rival Schools, and Power Stone are more niche than Darkstalkers

Phoenix Wright got into Marvel 3 because of high demand

To this day I don't know what they were thinking with DMC. 4 sells higher than every other entry in the series when it's pretty much a half game that you play through twice and they decide this is the time to reboot the series.

Then, they also proceed to insult the existing fans.

Who was making these calls, that entire debacle made me lose faith that Capcom has any clue what they're doing as a business.

Anyone want to play Vampire Savior (DS3) or Vampire Hunter (DS2) on fightcade with me right now?

How to spot a casual

I'm down for either, look for Ace of Knaves on fightcade

I haven't played anyone in Hunter in awhile, I'd be down for that

allright lets play hunter, not touched it in a long time either

im in the lobby now

>DMC4SE sells so well it literally saves Capcom's financial quarter.
I wonder if Capcom WANTED DMC4SE to fail (digital only outside japan, not much hype/marketing) just so they can say "nobody bought it, nobody wants new DMC" and kill the series much like Darkstalkers, but it accidentally sold well

inafune

I just want a port of For Matching Service with the stages from the other games included.

>To this day I don't know what they were thinking with DMC. 4 sells higher than every other entry in the series when it's pretty much a half game that you play through twice and they decide this is the time to reboot the series.

It was a combination of Itsuno feeling burnt out on DMC after 4, wanting to make Dragon's Dogma, and Capcom doing their whole "let's try to westernize everything" approach.

>Dante's VA confirmed it blew way past Capcom's expectations

How the fuck would he know that? Look I want the game to sell well too but I seriously doubt they where sharing the information with the voice actors

did Dante even get any new lines? I know Lady and Trish had to get some new records in but even then my point remains

As another user pointed: they want us as customers to bear the brunt of the base evaluation risk.

I'm not buying a game I own several times over - ie throw money at nothing of worth - for a *chance* at a new entry.

It's funny how high exec business people will justify their indecent earnings by the risks they supposedly take given how risk adverse they are.

>How the fuck would he know that? Look I want the game to sell well too but I seriously doubt they where sharing the information with the voice actors.

Reuben Langdon is pretty heavily involved in Capcom's business. He co-founded the motion capture studio Capcom regularly works with. I think he helped out with the writing in DMC3 and 4 too.