Why are video games with black main characters so rare?

Memes aside, why don't games usually have a black main character? would it sell less?

Other urls found in this thread:

cracked.com/article_19922_5-prejudices-that-video-games-cant-seem-to-get-over.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This nigga ass was dressed ecsactly like negro from Mafia 3

Because you're not allowed to have any variety of characterization with female or minority leads. They're always expected to be representatives of their entire demographics rather than individual characters.

Nobody gives a shit about how white guys are represented, so you can have a range of heroes from complete badasses to complete fuckups to characters tortured by their own wrongdoing.

Because if the game has a single character that is not white Sup Forums will call it SJW pandering and won't pirate it.

Because SJWs will sue if black characters aren't shown "proper respect," meaning they can only be invincible Mary Sues.

cracked.com/article_19922_5-prejudices-that-video-games-cant-seem-to-get-over.html

Only 3A games make enough money to settle the lawsuits and still have some money left over.

Did watch dogs 2 sell good numbers?

the walking dead games sold like 30 million and the main characters are black

>ecsactly
>nigga ass

I literally haven't bought Watch Dogs 2 because you play as some retarded and ugly looking nigga boiii

Because black people make up a small minority of the customer base in most regions with high video game sales. Likewise you don't see many black video game writers (or in general) out there either.

It is both easier to write and identify with a character of your same race. A lot of games are developed in the west, whites are the western market, I'll let you come to your own conclusions.

More people would steal it

TWD wasn't blatantly made to pander to a demographic, which is the root of the problem.

No one complained about CJ in GTAV, because it wasn't thrown in our face and actually served a purpose in the game's narrative. When people get upset is when lead roles are made so let as a means of pandering, like having fucking nigs during time periods + setting they don't belong in.

Aka the Galbrush scenario.

Note that this would not be an issue if such casting were not so much a rarity that the errant inclusion was cause for any discussion at all.

I liked San Andreas because you played as some nigga gangster. But niggers who are intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor in other games are just immersion breaking

Because there's no such thing as a protagonist black person

black characters are popular in side/minor roles though. moreso than any other ethnics.
where is some kike characters?

Because blacks are an extremely small minority in the countries that make the majority of games? I doubt they are even underrepresented.

>why don't games usually have a black main character?

White people don't like niggas. It doesn't even have to be to the point where they're full blown KKK sympathizers. They can just casually look at a game with a black person and not be excited by it.

White people are really used to all forms of media, visual and not, pandering to them in some way, shape, or form and get really confused when they're not the super special snowflake savior for once.

>would it sell less?
Unless it has superb writing to make up for it, most likely yeah.

Because nobody wants to play as a negro.

I'm sure... You thought that was funny but you're as ridiculous and pathetic as those team skull grunts.

It's actually so rare to see a post that isn't completely dumb on this website. Like this one or this one or this one

there's all this shit about Blacks in games but whens the last time you saw a Native American protag? Prey? AC3?

what about an eskimo? or a mongolian? or tamil?

Blacks make up like 14% of the US population, 3% of the British population, and 0% of the Asian population which is where all games are made

Yeah it'd have some impact on the sales, not too big tho, but Sup Forums would hate it because it makes them insecure.

Real reason being that most writers in game development are white and would probably be scared of misrepresenting a race and getting death threats from the far left.

whites dont think of white characters as like them unless they are playing FarCry3.
they see
pass for white guy = regular guy
black guy = black guy

>whites dont think of white characters as like them
>pass for white guy = regular guy

I hope you realize that this is a fairly large contradiction.

>Posting the guy who literally was one of the few parts that caused Prototype to die

Heller is flat.

you have the madden and nba games for that

>be scared of misrepresenting a race and getting death threats from the far left.

yeah nah

Oh boy, you don't even know.

because it's easier to write what you know, and most writers writing these games are white guys thus they write a character they know how to write.
Araki made this character and was fucking embarrassed for creating it because he had no idea how to write a female character.

It's harder to get your demographic interested in the character if they're from a different race. It's also tougher to write a backstory that keeps someone engaged.
It leads to a lot of sub-conscious thoughts that effect to look on the character.

Hell, a lot of people here would save their own dog over a bus full of humans.

As a 100% injun, i can say they're too stupid and short-sighted do anything believable, in a game.

>tfw your character dies of diabetes before the aliens can abduct him from a bar.

There's nothing to know.

Because Africa isnt big on making games, and all black characters are basically thrown in by white or yellow devs to get some "social points".

Thats why black folks dont say "alright, lets make our own games then", but rather come crying to the white and yellow overlords to please include them in their products. And when that doesnt happen, they actually get mad and try to spin it like some grave injustice has been done to them.

Are you implying that he's wrong by stating that the far left is doing the ol' social media death threat thing, or that it just doesnt apply in regards to misrepresenting blacks?

Because the former is certainly true. With the latter at least causing enough outrage i nthe past, that I wouldnt be surprised if its true as well.

t. i can't read

Game Devs have been dealing with political pressure and death threats for decades. There is literally nothing they can do right in anyone's eyes.

So no, I don't buy that somehow the far left is bullying these grown men. To me the more reasonable situation is a bunch of white writers and developers simply going with what they know.

Which, surprise surprise, is white people doing things.

Writing a black MC's is impossible. They will always be a big dude who loves HUEG weapons and is a prick that in reality is just such a nice guy on the inside.
That or just outright oogabooga where the white womyn at.

Pretty much this. Whites can't relate to a black MC, and blacks can't relate to an intelligent MC.

>...
>Calling others ridiculous
You have no room to talk.

Poor devs being bullied on twitter is a fable Sup Forums came up with to rationalise why game devs Sup Forums likes do things Sup Forums doesn't agree with.

The vidya demographics is predominantly white and Asian.

....while simultaneously trying to bully game devs on twitter until they do what they want.

white dudes don't see a white male protagonist and say "omg, they put me in the game!" unless the character is exactly like them, it's just a regular guy to them.

The average black won't buy a video game. The ones that do are typically stereotypical niggers. So we have "our boi Dramarqus LeShawndy" who sounds like he belongs in a damn comedy skit.

While the average white won't play videogames also, they definitely represent more of the population overall who will. Hence why they don't want to play a game featuring the average black character aimed to appease to the handful of niggers that will buy the game.

In other words: Lamarqus Deshawnquisa ain't gonna go around sellin' dawg

White people made up the majority of total rap albums sold for the past few years.

Suffice to say, you're fucking stupid, user.

>it's just a regular guy to them

They think of the protag as a regular guy because the protag resembles them. White is their normal. They identify with it. Maybe not to the extent of thinking "WOW IT'S ME", but no one said that anyway so it's a moot point.

>The average black won't buy weeb shit

Fix'd

Are you saying gamers are racist then?

If you want decent triple-A games with blacks as leads you need more black programmers, writers, decision- makers, and demographic.

Except most intelligent black folk despise their lower-class brethren and choose to make money for themselves, with an actual degree. To see an uptick in games with black leads you need more representative facilitation in the hierarchy. It'lltrickle down to eenough of tthem getting degrees that they'll begin to occupy developer jobs.

Right now, it's nu males messing up games like Mafia 3.

Rap isn't aimed at blacks only.

No. I'm saying the amount of blacks that would buy a game is far less than the amount of whites that would.

Black people own consoles though.

And why is that, if white gamers aren't racist?

Rap mostly pertains to the interest of black-American culture.
How the fuck is not "not aimed at blacks" only.
The most popular nigger rapper is Lil' Wayne... with WHITES.

Needless to say you have no understanding over the differences of cultures you dumbass.

Games aren't aimed at whites only.

Your argument is now: black people own't buy games because white people do.

Are you trying to tell me that rap music is like video games?
Because there is a massive difference.

>Your argument is now: black people own't buy games because white people do.
Explain to me how you came to that conclusion.

Correct.
However, on average, more white people buy games than blacks who buy games.
Marketing aims games at who will make them the most money. Whites.

because black people aren't smart enough to make video games.

But why does marketing at white people who, we graciously assume, are not racist preclude black characters?

You're saying because the demographic is different than the race/culture of the protagonist people lose interest.

If the market has said anything the past few decades is that you're a dimwit and there's rarely any big difference between the sales of something because it includes a nigger, spic, cumskin, chink or redskin.

>Less blacks play videogames than whites
>That's because whites are racist
?

No.
Read what I'm saying not what you want me to say.

>would it sell less?
Yes. The one exception in gaming history was San Andreas.

Black gamers are accustomed to play MC not of their race and would not play a game especially because the MC is black but white players are not and could be less likely to play a game with a black MC and they are already more numerous than black players.
Same with all other minorities and women.

>The average black won't buy a video game.

>the average black character aimed to appease to the handful of niggers that will buy the game.

>In other words: Lamarqus Deshawnquisa ain't gonna go around sellin' dawg

You're saying you don't believe sales change dramatically just because a dumb ape is included?

>Black people own consoles though.

You mean they stole some.

Most developers think if you have a minority character they the game has to have a SJW message.
This is why the fail.
San Andreas did not fail.
But Watchdogs 2 has because of poor optimization and shovnig SJW agendas into it.
Not because of the main character's skin color

Where are my Asian characters? Abo characters? My fucking indonesian protagonists?
Fuck off nigger. You're not special.

>Whites/Asian: majority of the demographic.
>blacks: majority of rape in the country

Maybe they can stop raping their nieces and nephews to pick up a controller every once in awhile.

>Where are my Asian characters?
Almost any Jap game that isn't Metal Gear.

Abo characters?
Abos don't know what video games even are.

My fucking indonesian protagonists?
w h o ?

>tfw when you take away the skin colour you still have an interesting character
This is something forgotten far too often

>Most developers think if you have a minority character they the game has to have a SJW message.
Nah m8. It's Sup Forums that thinks the minority -is- the message, and also dislikes that message.

They specifically made the Demoman black to set him apart from a generic Scotsman though.

The hacks that make up the bulk of the game industry can't make good characters. When they make characters that aren't milquetoast blank slates, they end up being hilarious caricatures that have the subtlety of political cartoons. Many american ethnic minority character end up being the latter.

>This is something forgotten far too often

Sadly This^

I tried to play Prototype 3 but I honestly couldn't fucking take it. Dude might as well have been wearing black face. Everything that came out of his mouth was some derivitive of "MOTHA FUCKA" "SHIT" "DAYMN" and so on and so forth.

If this is the kind of "black characters" that I have to look forward to then I'm good. Don't even try.

Some liberal complained Luke Cage represented a conservative conception of respectability because he had a job, didn't like being called a nigger, speak proper english and fight gang.

Well, also because it differentiates him from the rest of the cast because they ran out of body types. Honestly I wouldn't mind if scout, engie or sniper were girls. Particularly sniper and scout because they seem to be the most generic of all the mercs. And you wouldn't have to ever acknowledge their sex in-game. Demo and soldier managed to have high quality bantz without either one calling the other a nigga or a cracka

Most gamers are white males. Second most would probably be asian males. So why make protagonists that are going to only appeal to a small demographic?

I don't mind black characters as long as they are original (such as your picture) and aren't trying to force down an agenda of diversity down my throat.

>Well, also because it differentiates him from the rest of the cast because they ran out of body types.
Right, but the point is, he's not the greatest example of an interesting character regardless of race. He's a black, Scottish cyclops. That's funny. He's a great character. But only because he's black.

Had TF2 come out later people here would definitely be bitching about making a character from a white ethnicity black.

>Some liberal complained Luke Cage represented a conservative conception of respectability because he had a job, didn't like being called a nigger, speak proper english

He's not wrong, since Luke in the comics usually speaks with some kind of slang and makes money through mercenary work.

Just imagine, Madworld/Anarchy Reigns sequel, but Baron is the MC, with Jack as a side character

>graciously assuming white people aren't racist

Isn't it just delightful irony that the people who scream racist are usually the people being racist.

Idk but if I can choose or create a character I always make them black because theyre tougher

Because white is the 'default'.

You should update those numbers, Japan had a half-black woman won their Miss Japan beauty pageant last year.

because I don't want to play as a black skinned guy i wanna play as normal skinned guy

Japan probably isn't a good representative, they have a black population of like 10000 if you want to be generous and half of that is heavily stereotyped as criminals and con-artists.

nigger.

i dont know op. i really dont care of what race or sex charterers are. if they have shit personality, they are shit. if they have a good personality, they are good.

>So no, I don't buy that somehow the far left is bullying these grown men.
But thats literally whats happening on social media. Just like this guy: is so utterly wrong. There are more than enough snaps of such exchanges on Twitter.
Be it left or right, Sup Forums or tumblr. Devs getting death threats for doing things, edgy faggots dont agree with, is nothing new.

I mean you even say that they've been getting death threats for decades. So yeah. Now its just a different group of people sending threats. Times change. Back in the day nerds sent death threats because Homm4 was supposed to have a futuristic faction, and now they do it because devs are SJWs or not SJW enough.

>Madworld/Anarchy Reigns sequel

Same goes for most of europe and america. Not to such an extent, but blacks are still a heavy minority. Which is why they're called minority.

Because nobody wants to play as a Dindu

Oh, are you? Well, shame on me for assuming otherwise then.