Seeing Luke was pretty cool...

Seeing Luke was pretty cool. I see what you guys meant about how right after you get your force powers you get one good bar brawl and then have to deal with snipers for the rest of the level. I'm in the Hideout level now. Is it normal that at least once a level, I have to look up a video to see where I need to go next?

ITT: good Star Wars games

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/xHHq1NyHMHg
maxgames.it/xwc/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You seriously need to git gud if you are looking up video's of where to go.

The Jedi Knight games have some really inventive level design though I admit. Sometimes you will get to an area and think it's a glitch and you werent' supposed to be able to get up there, only to later realize that is the intended way.

Just get into the devs crazy minds and realize the level design is crazy and not for casuals. If you see some part and you think you could possibly get there with a force jump or a force speed run up or something, it's probably likely that's where you need to go.

Kyle is so cool in JK2

You've been playing too many modern games I'd wager. A lot of them, not just the AAA ones, have become increasingly streamlined over the years which teaches players not to explore or experiment.

you almost feel bad for killing stormtroopers if you listen to their conversations

This. The Jedi Knight games are an older form of game design, stuff like this isn't made anymore because some things aren't immediately obvious and the game forces you to actually explore to find your way around the level.

Stuff like this isn't made anymore and all the new shit is steamlined to the point that it's blindingly obvious what you need to do next.

I remember on one of the city levels, may have even been the Nar Shadaa one right after you get your lightsabre

>up high on the ramparts
>come to the edge of the walkway
>see that all the flying barges and garbage transports that have been flying around in the background actually come sorta close to where I am now since I am high up
>wonder if I could jump onto their models or wether I'd fall through them
>save my game in case I fuck up
>force speed them force jump
>land on them
>holy fuck I can actually land on this thing, cool, lets see where it takes me
>watching as I get taken on a tour of the city
>thinking I will be taken off the map
>mfw takes me to the entrance of where I was trying to go
>mfw that was actually what I was supposed to do and where I was supposed to go the whole time
>devs made me feel like I was discovering this huge secret/out of bounds area when in reality they intended I do that from the very beginning

God tier game, god tier devs. Raven Software is based.

>Tfw the two very first stormtroopers you meet in the game are talking about how it's their last day on the job

>yfw Raven Software just makes Call of Duty DLC these days

I am sure all the old devs have left and it's one of those "in name only" studio's now.

>playing outcast as a kid
>didn't have internet back then
>knew little english
>"its offline"
didnt get past that part

I have a bunch of Star Wars games on Steam for some reason. Which ones are actually good? I played Republic Commando but it seemed a bit shit, or at least just not worth playing.

Nigga RC is awesome. Give it a proper go

Did you put that looking up videos part in there just to bait replies so the thread gets attention?

Be honest please.

Republic Commando is up there

So how likely is a new Jedi Knight game within the next 10 years?

NEVER EVER

Regardless if it happens or not, it will be watered down, family friendly garbage.

NEVER

Disney killed any chance for new games

every game first needs to be 100% approved disney canon
and then EA has to make it because they own exclusive rights

Sure, starring pic related

It's actually one of the better games, I just wish the blaster wasn't fucking garbage. It takes FOREVER to kill anything with it.

That said, circle strafe the super battle driods and knife the crap out of them. If you stand in between the droideka's arms, it can't hit you. Knife the shit out of it too.

The worst part about the game is the bullshit ending.

how likely are you to make it?

Yeah okay I guess I'm getting too impatient. I used to play games with confusing level design like Metroid and System Shock without needing help, but maybe I've been spoiled by modern games.

Also I tend to forget to use force powers on the environment. Like just now I had to pull a box out of a corner to reveal a vent. And in the previous level there's like, 2 big lever-like things that I knew I had to jump across, but they were too far and had to pull one closer.

No. I'd have looked at a walkthrough but it's harder to figure out where they're talking about with these types of maps.

Don't be ashamed of using guides if you're completely stuck without any hope of getting to where you need to go. 12 year old me noclipped right the fuck through Nar Shaddaa

Muh personal recommendations for Steam Star Wars games and their genres

>KotOR 1 and 2
RPGs, very different design philosophies, made by different devs. Both are excellent for different reasons

>Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast (OP’s game)
1st/3rd person shooter for the first few levels. Turns into the Jedi game we all wanted as kids after that (lightsabers, dark/light force powers, still use guns/explosives)

Jedi Knight 1: Dark Forces II is great too, but it feels dated.
Jedi Academy is basically Jedi Outcast with a worse story, but customizable character/skills, parkour system, and a non-linear mission selection.

>Galactic Battlegrounds Saga
RTS. Basically a reskin of Age of Empires II, but with air forces and Jedi to replace monks. Surprisingly awesome.

>Republic Commando
Squad-Based FPS. Linear at times, but a solid campaign with an unresolved cliffhanger ending.

the only thing I liked from Jedi Academy is that Kyle beasts you to death with his bare fucking hands in one of the endings

Personally I think JK2's levels are too samey in certain places. There's a level with Lando where all the walls, floors, and ceilings are this brushed steel plate texture, and it's easy as fuck to get lost.

In addition, every fucking switch/computer panel looks like every other, and nothing is in a recognizable form, so you end up having to poke around to find anything.

JK1 and DF didn't have this problem. It was pretty clear what things were in the levels, even if they'd been Star Warsified.

>Jedi Academy
>Vader's castle mission
>Hear two stormtroopers talking with each other
>"Man, I'm so glad I wasn't stationed here when Vader was alive. I heard he used to practice his lightsaber skills on stormtroopers"
>"Tell me about it, I haven't even seen a lightsaber"
>Seconds later Kyle Katarn jumps out of nowhere and slices them both

Also good on you OP, I'm starting a new run of KOTOR. Going to play through it and KOTOR II back to back

That whole final mission where you go dark side was amazing

>Kill Rosh like the little shit he is
>Fight an army of both Jedi and Sith
>Fight Tavion
>Fight Katarn who can beat you with his fists and force pull your light saber out of your hands
>You can't even kill him, all you can do is injure him long enough to get you an opening to escape

They had a good run at least.

>Metroid
>System Shock
>confusing level design
shit nigga

I thought it was neat how the Dark Side ending subverted the whole idea of “the evil path is easier”

If you go Light, you have the Jedi on your side, and the Sith against you.

If you go Dark, the Jedi are against you for obvious reasons, but you want the Scepter for yourself, so all the Sith are trying to stop you.

Dark Side is the hardest option of all.

And even after being your own side in a 3-way war, Kyle still has the ability to curb stomp you in the final fight.

I'd sacrifice some virgins for a sequel to that and Republic or Imperial Commando.

>Vader's Castle
>Fighting the troopers with Kyle
>He pushes a trooper at me
>Kills me

Wasn't there a rumor that Visceral is releasing Imperial Commando next year?

I'm gonna go get dem virgins then.

>releasing sequels to non-canon games
whoa

kek

Amy Hennigs game?

Nah, most likely gonna be another shot at an Uncharted rip off. That's what it looked like from the teaser we got anyways.

>implying Disney shit is canon

It's officially licensed fan fiction.

I doubt it, most probably because EA already has a flagship FPS game, barebones and shit as it may be.

Even if it did happen it would be complete fucking garbage. I don't even want to think about what they'd do to Kyle, probably end up a tranny.

I will always have a fondness for this game.
I want more Star Wars PC flight sims
youtu.be/xHHq1NyHMHg

Gamma 1 is the Emperor's stool pigeon!

you could say that about anything not made by lucas directly

Is the multiplayer for these games still active?

People still play Jedi Academy through Game Ranger and other programs like that. Personally, I love Battlefront 2 multiplayer.

I'll add a couple.

>TIE Fighter
God Tier space sim. Not too hard or too easy to learn. Well written and there are a ton of campaigns to play through. They even have optional and secret objectives. Get the version with textured ships if you can.

>X-Wing Alliance
Great space sim focusing on the Azzameen family and the circumstances that draw them into the Rebel Alliance. Has missions that focus on picking up people and cargo with Corellian class transports, and of course, the second Death Star run at the end.

Maybe a remake but a sequel? Nah

I've only played JK2 and JA. Are any of the other Dark Forces games good?

The level design was made that way.
It is retarded, and you can get either lost or end up not knowing where to go, because every path is hidden from you.

I can't guess why they made it like this, but it was the same in Dark Force 2.

Looking for where to go and hidden paths is actually part of the gameplay.

>playing non-canon, irrelevent Star Wars games

Played through it as a kid just fine, but apparently now I'm a massive faggot because I cannot for the life of me not feel guilty for killing these guys. They're not evil, they're just normal dudes with families to support on a planet far away.

I mean, if you can suffer through old graphics...

Or if you like Doom, then you'll like the first game as well.

i hope you enjoy the new Rogue One game coming out. Im sure you will get a flashback mission of when the deathstar plans were originally stolen.

ok thanks

yeah, but they are the bad guy

War... War never changes.

>feeling bad for art assets, AI, and a voiceover that has no family
>massive faggot

I guess you are. You should work on that.

I want to believe that Respawn's 2019 game is Jedi Knight

>It will be a third person action/adventure game. >They showed lightsaber fights in that EA behind the scenes Star Wars video so it probably isn't shooter focused
>God of War 3 director Stig Asmussen is working on it.

This guys created Call of Duty so we know that they have no problem making great single-player and MULTIplayer games.

I'd say there is some hope.

Didn't a lightsaber hit his fucking face? Why is he lightly charred?

I'm pretty sure a Republic Commando novel was released post-Lucas so I think that it's canon.

Have you ever played a Jedi Knight game before?

>God of War
>CoD
>Either of these even remotely similar to Jedi Knight
>Either of these even remotely good resume for Jedi Knight

Please die you underage.

I don't think that is accurate

Yeah you're right, the novels actually got canceled before.

kotor 1&2 if you want good rpgs

Jedi knight 2 and academy for action games/shooters

Everything else is mediocre. Including console tier games like republic commando and battlefront

>Everything else is mediocre. Including console tier games like republic commando and battlefront

low quality bait

>There will never be a sequel to Black Crypt, the greatest Dungeon Master clone ever created.
feelsbadman.gif

>X-Wing Alliance.

I wanted to put this in my list, because I loved it as a kid. But I don't play space/flight sims, so I didn't know whether it was actually good or not.
I remember the idea of using almost the whole keyboard for controls was so exciting.

Please be good Star Citizen

RUN KATARN, HAHAHAHAHAH

You’re wrong about your conclusion.

But if I had to recommend 4 SW games as the best of them all, it would have been your 4.

So you have good taste, but are small-minded.

>jedi mind trick lv4

By that logic nobody should ever feel anything when viewing/playing a fictional story because nothing is real, and therefore nobody would ever write fiction books, film non-documentary films, or develop games.

Feeling bad for poorly or minimally written characters is a different thing, however.

>ENTER YOUR NAME PILOT

Or if we're playing X-WING

>Welcome to the Flagship Independence.

They'll make their return.

One of these days.

>Kyle Katarn could have been the star of episode VII

Friendly tip.

Step 1.
Get XWA

Step 2.
Install Darksaber Craft Pack

Step 3.
maxgames.it/xwc/
Full remakes of X-Wing, TIE Fighter and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter for XWA, including all SP missions with dialogue.

TIE Fighter one is the highlight for me.

>main character even named similarly to Kyle's partner

Nah, he's part of the OT generation, and every trilogy seems to focus on a different generation. He might have had a roll in R1, but Kanan is just siphoning up all of Katarn's opportunities to rejoin canon.

XWA is fucking great though I never finished it (got stuck on that EVA mission because the stormtroopers never stopped coming). The simulator is what makes it amazing since you can make your dream match ups and fights using nearly everything in the OT.

We all know that it would be fucking horrible if EA or any major AAA developer got their hands on it.

The ONLY hope of ever getting something similar is a spiritual successor by a small, unrelated developer team. But obviously it wouldn't have Kyle or take place in the SW universe.

>tfw OG Jan was a better diversity hire than Felicity Jones

I'm playing Dark Forces for the first time and it's really fun for what it is, but boy, level design is killing me.

The hexagon room was great though.

if they followed the games hed be a old man like luke.

>they took a fucking dinosaur and made him menacing
>Kyle still engages him in top bantz

how the fuck

>they lock Kyle with a kell dragon
>he beats it to death with bare fists

my inner ear hurts

You.
Bacta.
Now.

still need to finish MotS...

Or, maybe there's a middle ground where one doesn't get overly invested in minimally characterized enemies who are intended to be killed off, and have zero interactions besides that.

I get invested in well written characters. I feel plenty when they triumph, when they fail, when they hurt, or when they're filled with joy.

What I don't do is feel bad about "murdering" something that's incapable of being murdered, or even experiencing pain, or having more than handful of data files to its existence.

As an aside, I'm real tired of video game companies playing off the FPS genre's murder simulator reputation to make moral judgements - they don't get to call attention to how many non-persons we kill when they're the ones providing the tools (and encouragement) to do it.

because it's a Disney cartoon.

that fucking early level where you have to find a vent that leads underneath the transport decontamination room or whatever so that you can destroy the batteries allowing you to board the transports without dying

You are also a soldier in a war though. The Galactic Civil War is still raging and those Stormtroopers wouldnt hesitate to kill soldiers of the New Republic who, like them, joined up to provide for their families and make the world better for future generations.

Thats what happens in war.

Outcast is probably one of the best first person shooters ever made and its threads barely reach a hundred replies. It's fucking weird, every time.

Most of Sup Forums is young.

Despite the normie interest in Star Wars, they don't really give a shit about it, at least not anything from before TFA was made and released.

This level is among my all time favorites in vidya. Better post a .webm of what happens if you disable the loading bay shields.

Don't have that.