Switch is just going to have the same old tired Nintendo franchises in a different form factor...

Switch is just going to have the same old tired Nintendo franchises in a different form factor. So why would anyone expect better sales from the Switch than the Wii U?

Consolidation of the 3DS and console market for nintendo is all I think of.

They keep screwing the fanbase with their "They are going to buy it anyway" bullshit.

Well for starters, people actually want the Switch.

How many Wii U owners didn't own a 3DS? And any reason to think the downward trend for their handhelds won't continue?

People are absolutely not tired of Nintendo franchises.
People are dying to play BOTW, even though it looks like yet another empty open world piece of shit with a Zelda-themed texture pack.
And Splatoon is also not even closed to tired. If anything I expect more people than ever will play it, because the Switch actually has a chance of having a real install base, unlike the Wii U.

Pokemon and Monster Hunter.

It doesn't have a confusing name to make people think it's just a Wii accessory.

Out of curiosity what does their handheld chart look like?

So why didn't the Wii U sell? Normal folks don't want to buy a $200 console and then spend $60 a pop to play Mario Kart 9, Pikmin 4 or whatever. People will buy that shit if they have the console already but they're not going to spend a ton of play them

Nintendo's only relevant major system-selling franchises are Pokemon and Splatoon, and the latter wasn't enough to save the Wii U.

>Monster Hunter
Japan isn't the world. It's also not clear Capcom will re-up Nintendo exclusivity.

You can't just ignore one console because it did really well. You only HAVE six data points. There's no such THING as an outlier with that many data points.

I mean, you shouldn't even be USING a fucking regression to analyze "console sales by generation", it doesn't make sense, but even if you DID do a proper regression, you'd end up with a relatively flat trend line and a fucking abysmal R-score, which means that NINTENDO SALES AREN'T EVEN CONVINCINGLY TRENDING DOWNWARDS WITH RESPECT TO GENERATION.

That's right! A real regression would show that Nintendo sales could actually be trending upwards! The data isn't conclusive at all! Mainly because you have SIX FUCKING DATA POINTS AND SHOULDN'T BE USING A REGRESSION ON THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

If nothing else, normies are now vaguely aware that Nintendo has something new that doesn't have the term "Wii" attached to it. A sizable part of the reason why the Wii U didn't catch on was because of the abysmal marketing; people thought the Wii U was just an expensive add-on to the Wii.

Oh fuck, somebody better come and rub the genie's lamp, he must be hurtin' right now.

Pokemon and Monster hunter

An actually decent reveal trailer and unique name

Good concept to sell to normies

It's not just that, though. 3DS was on track to flop until Nintendo unleashed Pokemon which single-handedly turned the system around.

People don't care that much about Nintendo's shit outside of Pokemon.

And it's not like the 3DS isn't hugely down from the DS, despite the 2DS being way cheaper than the DS ever was.

The Wii U was shitty gimmick trash. The switch is a handheld that has a console mode. I'll be using it as a handheld.

Games can't be touchscreen only because it would keep the game from being able to be played in docked mode. A nintendo console without gimmicks is what people have been wanting for a long time. Non waggle/touch screen oriented games immediately makes the switch games better than the past wii and wii u games.

I personally know 5 3DS owners, one of whom owns a Wii U. I don't know anyone who owns a Wii U and not a 3DS, mostly because 3DS has all the games. I know anecdotes aren't worth shit but the sales figures tell us everything, 3DS outsolde Wii U 5-6 to 1. I think consolidating that market and having all the Monster Hunter, Pokémon, Smash bros., Square Enix and Atlus fans on one system will be great. Maybe not enough to save Nintendo, but certainly enough to beat the Wii U's sales.

>How many Wii U owners didn't own a 3DS?
That's a good question. Obviously there's overlap. Together we're looking at what ~73 million total units for Nintendo hardware?

You figure there's overlap, people who double dipped with the N3DS, people who owned a Wii U and don't want another Nintendo product ever again, people who owned a 3DS who might balk at a high Switch price point and full price games [if the games are full price, that is].

That said, it's still a potential pool of ~74 million to draw from.

I think Nintendo can ride out the deteriorating 3DS audience for a while but managed decline doesn't suggest a hugely inspiring long-term future for the company.

>HD Kirby game
Switch will annihilate the PS4

Arguably the same

If Splatoon was as good as you claim ijstall base wouldn't matter, as it would grow it. It's software that sells hardware, so to say Splatoon was held back by Wii U sales is faulty logic.

What is more likely is Splatoon sold to a fanbase that was starved for games.

Honestly, after buying a WiiU and 3DS day one and getting screwed with such shit support for it, I'm going to pass on the switch. Might get one down the road when it's on sale for the kids, but Nintendo has lost my respect. I don't see how any company can be so out of touch and backwards and still have such a huge following.

I'll wait for the refresh. And only if there are actual games.

Found the statician

Pokémon and Monsterhunter.

13 million people wanted a Wii U, and unlike the Switch, that isn't an imaginary number

The 3DS will be sunsetted.

Seriously anyone who doesn't think the 3DS will be dropped and replaced by the Switch is an idiot.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.