Why didnt Skullgirls take off? What would you have done differently to help fix how dead the game is?

Why didnt Skullgirls take off? What would you have done differently to help fix how dead the game is?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Jjyw02zwEUE
youtube.com/watch?v=aVBwBf7MR_s
gamasutra.com/view/feature/132486/king_of_2d_vanillawares_george_.php?print=1
youtube.com/watch?v=aTVwkvs58sU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Make it 100% less weeb and add 400% more testosterone.

But everyone knows that weeb sells

Not copy Mahvel vs. Capcom and budget better.

It didn't take off because it was shit.

4 years later now that it's easily one of the best fighting games ever made no one cares because they think it's the same game.

Not try to enter the fighting game market after it has been dominated by the same 6 IPs on rotation for the past 300 years.

not try to copy marvel and made it a 1v1 fighter

Wasn't it pretty popular in Japan?
If they went for a more grimdark edgy style I'm sure it would be more popular in the west.

no

be less Mahvel and more Darkstalkers, keep the fast pace reset heavy gameplay but make combos shorter and make solo and teams separate modes otherwise people are just going to pick teams because solo characters will always have less options.

it had some pretty vocal fans but it took them time to get popular because the japanese only play fighting games on arcades, and they took time to make the arcade cabinet.

THICC

I might have liked it if the combos weren't so long. It's not fun to do, and its not fun to play against.

FGC has capcom's dick too far up their asses and too deep in their mouths.

Not in the testosterone fueled fgc. That's why skullgirls and DOA gets snubbed all the time.

A cult following isn't necessarily popular.

Remove cuck creator, remove censor update, sell game rights to non-nintendo entity in Japan.

i wouldn't say popular but it certainly has it fans there
youtu.be/Jjyw02zwEUE

Also the guys who made GG and Blazblue were responsible for localizing the game and they went the extra effort to do a japanese dub.
youtube.com/watch?v=aVBwBf7MR_s

not make it a fighting game

I love it to bits but casuals will NEVER EVER get into fighting games no matter how expansive the tutorial

they just lack the determination and patience to git gud

I love that these memes are still getting pushed.

Movement feels extremely sluggish/unresponsive to me for some reason.

I do like the drawn sprite artstyle, I get why no one does it but I wish more people did. VanillaWare, the Rayman Origin guys, I can't think anyone else who does shit like it in recent years.

>Not make half the roster DLC
>Not include Fillia, Not-Fillia and Double who turns into other people the moment you press a button making it feel overly cloney on top of having a pitiful roster
>Not making it wannabe anime trash; these games always die fast because they turn off normies by being paedo bait but can't compete with SF with the fighting die hards
>Make it actually good and not shit

>I can't think anyone else who does shit like it in recent years.
I'm told Owlboy has old SNK level sprites. Don't know how true that is.

>Not make half the roster DLC
They didn't have that option and the DLC was always free on release.

>Not include Fillia, Not-Fillia and Double who turns into other people the moment you press a button making it feel overly cloney on top of having a pitiful roster
I'm glad, that unlike you, the devs put gameplay first. None of these characters are clones in any way that matters.

>Make it actually good and not shit
They did that, eventually.

>VanillaWare, the Rayman Origin
they did NOT draw their sprites friend

Not talking about old SNK level sprites (those are nice too though), by drawn sprites I mean what shit like what Skullgirls and Muramasa and so on have.

Yeah, they did. I'm looking for the interview I read about Rayman's art process, here's one on one of Vanillaware's games though

>What do you think are the main challenges to getting to 720p-level of hi-res? Right now, Muramasa is 480 -- how big a leap is it from 480 to 720 -- what KOF accomplishes?
>GK: Well, the original art we draw is all done in double-size -- in the case of Muramasa, the animation frames then get compressed down to the Wii's native resolution. As a result, producing a fully HD title would not be a great deal of extra work for us; it would just mean our original art is displayed in higher resolution. It wouldn't be a simple insert -- we retouch the compressed graphics here and there to make sure they look as good as possible -- but it's not restarting from scratch, either.
gamasutra.com/view/feature/132486/king_of_2d_vanillawares_george_.php?print=1

Didn't take off because the Marvel community didn't want to move onto a Marvel-look-alike. It losing out to Melee for a main stage slot was also pretty huge. As for fixing it: if it gets a sequel, make it less like Marvel. Make it its own thing.

Aren't weebs like "I'll pirate this because the industry is going to crash anyway"?

Pretend the devs are Japanese.

Fuck off.

there's a big difference though

vanillaware and rayman origins make heavy use of techniques like 2D skeletal animation and tweening

basically, they draw a single iteration of their sprite, then manipulate that using software to create animation
they're not actually drawing all their frames like skullgirls does, they're using processes that make it a lot faster (and at a factually lower quality) to animate

it took off reasonably well for an US fighting game. You were never gonna get Street Fighter numbers

>took too long to finish
>overshadowed by other games, including one from the series it tried to emulate

I remember MikeZ saying a long time ago that the game has a big barrier to accessibility because the cast are actual unique designs and not just cultural stereotypes like most fighting games.

it didnt take off because it fucking sucks

>because it fucking sucks
>present tense
Nah.

That also doesn't make sense considering all the things that do take off that suck.

it was fun for what it was but the online is pretty dead

No matter how good the game actually is or isn't, it looked like an even more fetishy product than arcana hearts.

People looked at it, saw "Skullgirls", saw the art and characters, and simply went "nah, this shit ain't for me."

I'd argue things like that help with a lot of fighting games. Every big fighting game is based on the real world some way:

>SF
>KoF
>Tekken
>KI
>MKX

Even things like MvC are made on the basis of Eastern vs. Western designs, heroes, villains, etc. Fuck, Guilty Gear actually takes place on Earth with characters who are distinctly Korean, Japanese, Chinese, etc. There's nothing wrong with characters having their own identity, nationality, etc. If anything, I'd argue it helps fighting games grow in some way.

SG is worse now than it's ever been

Too much forced animation. Its the same reason that Nichijou failed.

Basically what this guy said 30-40 hit combos plus reset heavy gameplay was a mistake, feels more infuriating than fucking marvel. Solo teams also suck dick.

Why, because you want retarded 200 hit combos for every touch?

because it got more r34 attention than attention from FGC players

It wasn't published by Capcom

I prefer left.

Don't bring your dumb memes over here, Sup Forums

I want to breed Filia

this
aside from certain characters having some familiar moves that are associated with their gameplay stereotype (like Cerebella having a 360 grab because she is grappler) most character are fairly unique, hell the main character of the game (at least the main face of the game) Fillia is not a shoto at all having a heavy focus on airdashing. At best you can point out some amalgamation of concepts from other games like how Painwheel's air game is similar to sentinel's, or that Big Band has Third Strike like parries but he plays nothing like Q, Squigly has stances like Johnny from GG but she has two and they are actually chargeable with big changes into her special moves and so on.
Sure it borrows a lot but not from a single place and it mix it and mash it in way that you don't expect making it unique in its own way.

Because I couldn't stop fapping to Mariel.

If Filia was blonde before Samson, does that mean she is still blonde downstairs?

Blame smash.

If skullgirls had made it to EVO 2013 instead of that baby platform beat me up, it would be bigger than melee.

Well having the MC of a game known for copying off MvC instead of Street Fighter makes it easier to not have a Ryu-like MC and instead go in with someone like Wolverine who gets in to do air combos and charging forward with berserker barrage x.

shouldn't be too hard to find out, seeing as she flashes everyone in the near vicinity while fighting

Not enough Ms. Fortune

No fighting game that's not Street fighter or Smash brothers takes off outside of japan, that's pretty much an universal rule.

Even Marvel, for all the hype it had, didn't have that many actual players.

Its presentation as a clone with weird shit and terrible art and generic sound effects. Basically taking away all week one work of the original and disabling it. Tried to make fapbait chars that is just too fucking weird to fap to and thus gets the worst fans.

It had it's chance in 2013 to be at EVO, but then...

>Not copy Mahvel vs. Capcom

This. It was all I needed.

Filia is designed around magneto not wolverine, but the same concept applies. Generally speaking tho Skullgirl is just hard to get for casual players, so they lose interest fast.

well KOF is super big outside both Japan and the States being super big in Centre and South America and in China and Korea. Also Tekken's scene is mostly focused on Japan.

The long combos were a problem but at least the release and the first update had a clearly defined and simple set of mechanics in place. It felt like the game was designed according to a single person's vision. The game is a mess since Mike started taking community feedback. There are rules on top of rules, character specific exceptions to moves that break the free form feel that the game had, and characters/assists that destroy the normal flow of the game.

Ms.Fortune is closer to Wolverine (minus the head mechanic and the rekkas but she does have similar dive kicks and air mobility beside her supers)

You really don't have a clue dude. Perfect example
>Squigly has stances like Johnny from GG but she has two and they are actually chargeable with big changes into her special moves and so on
Firstly, his stance charges do have big changes on special moves. Secondly, her game plan is exactly the same as Johnny's, she plays like Johnny, not because stance cancels but as a character.

Big Band does have shades of Q in gameplay, quite a bit of Juggernaut as well.

You're confusing the fact some moves have similar animations with why people say characters are similar. They're not.

For fuck's sake, Robo is designed to play like a Guilty Gear character. Big Band also has 3S in him to some degree.
youtube.com/watch?v=aTVwkvs58sU

Is it weird to find Filia the sexiest for not being intentionally sexual? Like, Valentine and Cerebella are obviously flaunting what they got, but Filia's too innocent to realize that her too-tight clothes are lifting up during most of her attacks

I'll take that over ToD combos

Because Initially the game was kinda bad and after years of updates people still don't feel like playing it, a lot of the game has changed but it honestly feel like the same game.

The game also sold like dogshit initially and it took 2 years for the devs to make profit out of it and the only reason it ever sold a copy was because of the fanservice

>cast are actual unique designs and not just cultural stereotypes

You got to be fucking kidding me, literally every fighting game character is about design and moves. That's how people get to play characters for the most, you look at a character, check out his design and think "hum, i wonder what this character can do, he/she seem cool" and there you go.

Besides there's nothing unique in^
>Sexy Nurse
>monster that copies other characters moves
>Westreler
>Girl with hair powers(wich is not hair, i know, but it was made to look like it)
>Cat-girl
>Robot version of a character
>Clone character(which has the exactly same design as fillia but the moveset and playstyle are different)
The only ones i consider truly unique are cerebella and big band.
Mike Z is honestly full of shit and he can't accept people just don't want to play his game.

>30-40 hit combos plus reset heavy gameplay was a mistake, feels more infuriating than fucking marvel. Solo teams also suck dick.

The game has 2 anti infinite mechanics and the combos still feel like a endless slideshow class.

If i remember correctly Marvel VS Capcom 3, the vanilla version and the updated version, also didn't sell that much, which doesn't mean it didn't made any profit, i just means not many people actually played the games even though the series has it's fanbase.

to be hones and even outside SG and i have never liked assist as a mechanic, hell even in MVC1 when they where a limited resource they still were kind of bulshit how much of a crush they became to your characters, why get good at footsies? when Colossus and Psylock can brute force your way in

>he game has 2 anti infinite mechanics and the combos still feel like a endless slideshow class.
Unless you're posting from 2013 you're an idiot.

>wake up from knock out gas
>look up and see this

what do?

dude you are agreeing with me idk why you think i'm not saying that, the game is a mix match of a lot of other games but i didn't say it as a bad thing.

Pre-samson fillia makes my dick tingle.

I can't speak for everyone else but personally I didn't buy it because of how obnoxious the shilling for it was on this board.

It was so blatant I didn't buy it on principle and I was going through a real fighting game binge at the time.

No one wanted a Marvel clone and fighting games already have better waifus.

>dude you are agreeing with me
You said the characters are unique and only have bits of other games/characters but don't play like those characters/games.

That is wrong. Some are more mix and match then others, but others are largely copied and twisted.

Which is fine, the game itself offers new things all the time, and even Squigly and Robo who are the hardest examples of straight up copies have unique shit especially Squigly with her screen shit.

hope she doesn't break a thermometer right on my face, mercury is hazardous as fuck.

Fukua was added as an extension of a joke in 2014 and was made over a weekend, she isn't relevant to discussions about the game's character designs.

I imagine Marvel 2 players did since Marvel 3 was trash.

Might have to do with the tiny ass roster and how there's only like two male characters on it

because it's 2d and that's so 10 years ago

She's waxed.

>Why didnt Skullgirls take off?
>Every match devolves into performing streamlined combo and waiting ten seconds for the chain to end before the other person does a streamlined combo and waiting ten seconds for the chain to end

I cannot express just how boring the game looks to people who don't know the inputs.

That and people in general are turned off by the weeb gore fetishes the main artist shoved into the game. Most normies don't like seeing a cat girl fall into severed body parts and spurt blood around like jet fuel, not because it's gross and weird, but because it looks stupid.

But if you remove the exaggerated macabre aspect to the character design, you're stuck with shit generic designs like the ones in Indivisible. Honestly, the fault of Skullgirls' failure ultimately lies with the artist and director. Not to mention the legal troubles the company unwittingly found themselves in.

This.
It's the blond hair.

>how there's only like two male characters on it
Oh boy, SJWs are here. Fuck off to tumblr you fucking retard, it's a fighting game, no one wants your identity politics bullshit.

I might have been a joke but she is a fully fledged character, she is not like Dan from SF which is, in fact, a literal joke-character. She is as relevant as any other character.

M-MOMMY

That and the tits beiing hueg without all the fat that samson forcing into her.

>Skullgirls
>Male characters

*inhales*
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Marvel took off, your explanation makes no sense.

she has those red alcohol dyed thermometers, im not even sure if they make them with mercury anymore

Make it not fucking marvel 2. Marvel always dies quickly while SF and Tekken thrive much longer.

DOA gets snubbed because it's actually terrible.

Not only her attacks.

ToD combos were balanced out by how much meter you got for getting. ToDd. After getting killed you usually ended up with 2 characters and 5 bars to come back with while the other guy had next to no meter. This left you almost in a better position than your opponent depending on your last two characters. This was a very deliberate design that might not be immediately obvious but it worked in practice.

Because it doesn't have shit designs.

Just because L0 put effort into her doesn't mean she's relevant to the other characters in terms of design important.

>DOA gets snubbed because it's actually terrible.

So is Skullgirls, but here we are.