First PC Build

Planning my first PC Build, Very excited!! Im planning on a decent 1440p set up. Any suggestions?

pcpartpicker.com/list/xqmPQV

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/xqmPQV
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28669-Microsoft-Toolkit-Official-KMS-Solution-for-Microsoft-Products
microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You need to add pop tarts

Buy slow sell fast

Look really good. Pretty high end.

All around great.
I personally wouldn't pay that much for a PC, and I'd be dropping shit like water cooling, SSD and fancy-ass case first, but that's just me.

Still, that rig won't be obsolete overnight. That's for sure

Thanks for the replies guys! Like I said this is my very first build so I am certainly debating the i7 6700k and a i5 6600k. Im not very well educated in the top differences in motherboards (Which has better Sound Cards, USB ports, etc.) I just know I want to try to Overclock, or at least learn how to, and the Watercooler and higher tier MOBO will help, I suppose.

get a 6600k, and a cheaper motherboard and buy a GTX 1080 , Zotac Extreme Amp edition

You're right on your money. Glad to see you've done some homework.

Some people will strike at ya for going with i7 for "only gaming use", but fuck them. If money is not a problem for you, judging from the final price of that build of yours, then go for the i7 CPU. Enjoy not having to upgrade CPU for a full decade, unless quantum computers magically become mainstream in couple years.

kinda has a point; 1080 would do even better job at 1440p / 4k, but not by a huge margin. If you however go too cheap with Mobo, you will soon sacrifice OC capabilities.

Asus Z170-AR is good enough for overclocking and has all the bells and whistles you need

While I thank you for the response and I understand the 6600k is probably the better choice for a gaming rig, I believe the 1070 is the better sweet spot for 1440p gaming. Ive heard 1080 cards dont know what they want to do in terms of price and performance. They still cant quite do 4k and its overkill for 1440p.

See thats where I feel a 300 dollar jump in GPU would be better saved for a possible upgrade in years to come for a 1170 for example.

I'd recommend a Black over Blue for the HDD. Blue's usually work fine but I've had more failures from them than Blacks.

>1170
building a PC now and upgrading your GPU that soon would be quite silly. Ugrading mere 1 generation and/or 1 "tier" are seldom worth it.

It's the ever lasting dilemma of PC builders; something "better" is always in the horizon. You just gotta make the jump at some point. Land on good parts right off the bat, and you won't need to regret it.

I hear Black HDDs can be very loud?

Regardless of any technology jump any time soon, I think we can all agree that sitting at 1440p 144hz is going to be a very comfortable position for years to come? Which I believe this set up can achieve?

Too much RAM, 8GP is more than enough

Fans are louder than HDDs. You should literally never hear it unless it's broken or you replaced all of your fans with sinks and liquid cooling.

skip the liquid cooler. the prebuilts always break down in some way after 6 months to a year of use. You're better off getting heatsink with a fan or doing a custom watercooling setup. you don't need watercooling at all realistically unless you intend to OC.

everything else is golden, personally I hate modular power supplies but whatever floats your boat

I own a PC building business and you can significantly decrease your CPU cooler, decrease your case price, go with an i5 6600k to save money, and definitely decrease your motherboard price. That is if you WANT to save money. you can get close to the exact performance for -$750

The diypc VII-BK-15L is a badass midtower to bring down your price, just went to my workshop and took this pic of the cases, that is a full side window on each, they go for around $40- $50.

Yeah I'd suggest just getting a 6600k and saving money. Need any advice on monitor choices?

Might as well tell him to wait for zen ryzen to get better performance and more cores out of his cpu

user PC business guy here, this guy is correct, if you WANT to save money, wait for Ryzen CPUs in February and save money on CPU since they should outperform current Intel CPUs and be cheaper.

stay away from liquid cooling for your first build
you can fuck up pretty bad with liquid cooling
also do you plan to install any OS ?

An all in one cooler is fine though, that shit doesn't leak.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/xqmPQV
probably overpaying for the mobo, there are cheaper z170 boards

otherwise good though, I have a 6700K and 1070 and most games run great at 1440p.

Don't listen to this guy, modular power supplies are the only way to go. You don't wont to clutter up your case with unnecessary cables. Also aio liquid cooling is a fine choice. Failure rates are low and leaking almost unheard of.

PC business guy here, yes all in one coolers are fine. They allow you to overclock great and I have NEVER seen one leak nor fail. A non modular power supply is fine if your case allows for good cable management. You can route all the cables through the bottom of the case. Use power supply calculator to see how big of a PSU you need.

i5 6500+RX 470 or i5 6600k+RX 480 for 60FPS/1080p? Or should I wait for the RX 490 with an i7 6700k and go for 120hz?

PC business guy here, YOU DO NOT need an i7 for gaming, just wasting money. Go for an i5 or high end FX processor. Only go with a intel K processor if you want to overclock it.

What's the best build i can get with 500$ without a graphics card?

Even for 120+ fps? So an i5 is enough?

Unless you're using something like Dolphin at 1080p, an i7 is overkill

The fps bottleneck is almost always on the video card.

Decent, downgrade gamer food mobo, add ssd

Each day less, I have an i5 but if had to buy one now i would go with i7.

You've never tried Minecraft modpacks

16-32 is the minimum now

>150 dollar cpu cooler
nigga u fucked up.

Go for a full tower case, mid towers are shit and I regret going mid every day

>$180 meme case
>EVGA PSU
>NZXT
I give it a four... out of five.

Cities: Skylines with all tiles unlocked will go over 8GB and crash, too.

16GB is the sweet spot right now, just get 2x 8GB sticks and you can add another 2x 8GB later if you need it.

>16GB is the sweet spot right now, just get 2x 8GB sticks and you can add another 2x 8GB later if you need it.
This. Sucks when you run out of slots and have to get rid of sticks. RAM is cheap nowadays anyway.

So, anyone has a GTX 1050Ti? how is it?

Would a PC with an APU be OK?

>Buying a ~2k computer to play minecraft

You will have to turn down a lot of settings to medium and possibly turn to 720p to get 60+ framerate on newer games.

Why not build a normal computer then a add a GPU?

get all amd

have fun joining into the meme cucks

I don't but the thing is probably right in the middle between the ps4 and pro in terms of power. I'd just regulate myself to a 470 minimum in your shoes.

RX 470 goes over my budget.

I rather get a I5 and a low end videocard and upgrade to a real one later on.

As others have said, if you are making a pure gaming build drop the i7 and get an i5.

Use the money saved to get a GTX 1080.

Also a $160 water cooler is a huge waste.

PC business guy here
get an x4 860k processor @ $70
GTX 1050 GPU @ $110
and 8GB RAM instead if you truly wanna keep the cost down.
It will perform way better.
ALSO buy a windows key from kinguin.net to save about $80 on a windows key, they work excellent.

Yea in that case that's really your only choice. Though if you really are on a tight budget, I'd wait on ryzen cpus to see how much cash you can save or at least get a better cpu at the same price.

Do OEMs work on newly built PCs?

Yes that is EXACTLY what they are for, newly built PCs, you probably can't transfer the key to a new PC though

>ALSO buy a windows key from kinguin.net to save about $80 on a windows key, they work excellent.

Paying for windows are you fucking kidding me?

microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then you can literally just activate it with mstoolkit

forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28669-Microsoft-Toolkit-Official-KMS-Solution-for-Microsoft-Products

Just don't forget the only legit downloads are off mydigitallife

Pretty good, but if you can afford another 150 or so, I'd go for a gtx 1080 personally.

The user asked about a PC for 500 dollars. I tried giving him an APU option. This is better though

If you want to play any modern triple A titles like minecraft then your going to need crossfire 1080s

Another idiot falls for the Intel and NoVidia Jew when freedom is right around the corner.

0/10 kill yourself painfully.

Is it just me or did ram prices shoot up. 16gb was like 60 bucks for the entire year

Then again ram is usually like this I think

I can handle 4k pretty well on 2 1080s with an hb bridge, but that's your call if 15fps gain is worth 600-800 dorru. For me it was.

DDR4 is expensive m8.

Go ask Sup Forums in the /pcbg/ thread - you will get more sensible replies than the idiocy of Sup Forums.

This user knows whats up.

Yeah he could downgrade the cpu, mobo, and cooler to easily afford a 1080. That'd probably make the biggest difference and last the longest.

you are not the only one, they shot up about 2 months ago. An increase of at least 30%

got this new AZZA titan case (tempered glass, rgb logo (awaiting a molex dual female to light it up), and plenty of cable management/mounts

$59.99 and a $20 mail in rebate

Guys whats the difference between an i5 and i7 processor? From what I know an i7 will allow you to have more shit open at once, games or w.e.

>$260 MoBo
>$180 Case
>i7 CPU with $160 cooler

nigga

I'm looking to get a mobo, but I dont know shit about them or what questions to ask to find out which one I need.

Is any mobo good enough as long as it fits the CPU?
Thinking of getting an i5 6500

i wouldnt worry about getting a top end cpu, id just get one that wont create any bottlenecks in the near future.

any modern/previous gen i5 will work just fine for gaming and streaming. id wait for ryzen to come out because it looks promising and its probably only a few months away.

Gaming wise an i7 will perform a slightly bit better and most times is not worth to price for gaming, but more geared towards rendering video. More RAM is what will allow you to have more shit open at once

>tfw mobo cost more than my cpu + mobo

i5 has 4 cores no more.

i7 has 4 real cores with simultaneous multi-threading meaning 8.

Better for open world games. Faster for video editing. But the difference in gaming isn't much.

In any case, amd's new ryzen cpus will have their i5 equivalent at 6 fucking real cores using simultaneous multi-threading making that go to 12. And their i7 at 8 real cores with SMT making it go to 16.

In short you better wait. Intel is sure to see their prices drop too.

I think there's something for poorfags too. Their budget ryzen cpu is like 4 real cores vs the shitty i3 that has 2.

More cache (which means it can store more instructions) and twice the thread count. In every metric an i7 (assuming consumer and not enthusiast) is superior to an i5.

Once you move the X99 platform i7's though you better know your shit.

why do people go to micro center?

is there some kind of advantage to going there over anywhere else?

Ryzen is releasing high-end first, so 8 core CPUs. March will probably come around by the time we see Ryzen CPUs and the required mobos become readily available.

Great deals sometimes by walking in. Online prices seem to be fixed. If there is a sale expect it to be sold out fast

You won't see people rushing to microcenter for deals though so it's easy to get good prices year round

As a non burger as I understand it they offer excellent discounts on certain PC hardware.

What's wrong with Micro Center? It's basically the cheapest place to buy CPU/motherboards because they give you $40 off when you buy both.

>Ryzen is releasing high-end first, so 8 core CPUs.

For what purpose? We all know poorfags want decent cpus the most

>Liquid cooler

Get a Noctua air cooler or a Cryorig.

>It's basically the cheapest place to buy CPU/motherboards because they give you $40 off when you buy both.
good to know if this is true, im buying the new 7700 intel cpu so hopefully I get a cpu + mobo discount from them.

its ok I guess

You should see the Intel defense force out with a vengeance across the web (i'm looking at you Shintai and Juangra) despite thje positive showing AMD has given and the french leakers with their engineering sample.

Suddenly (as if by magic) blender and handbrake are not valid benchmarks and all engineering samples are the same as final silicon because otherwise zen is making some of Intel's chips not look so mighty. This should be encouraged as a consumer a competetive zen should be praised but Sup Forums (and places like hardocp and to a lesser extent OCN) cannot fathom their israelite overlords being challenged.

how did u save 140 like that?

mobo was $10 and came with a $10 mail-in rebate wyb CPU

Sucked the manager's dick.

Thanks dude

I wish

they just have deals like that every now and then

>diypc
I'm using one that I got for $20 or so. You can fucking hear how cheap it is by lightly flicking the metal but fuck it, it gets the job done

where do i get these deals?

You know that Windows 10 is still free, right? microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

also stuff like raspberry pi zeros for $1 and they practically always have a $5 off $30 coupon

>white hands

triggered

Built it right before, except te GPU, I went to serve the country. What kind of card should I get for it, when I'm back home stable this summer.
Only other things that I'm going to upgrade is getting another 8gb stick and a trashdrive.
Which videocard would be best to grab, considering that I'm aiming for 1080p@144hz

ty

Some newcomers who don't have windows 7 or 8 can't use that phamalam

Although what they can do is use this method

To activate a downloaded windows 7/8 to 10 and own it legit