Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9aHQnDTd1y4
youtube.com/watch?v=O3Z5UGE3g5M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It was a thrill imo

In game intermission.

after a boss fight, setting up the next major act of the game, etc

>Waa waa I suck at boss fights
Jesus christ it's like kids these days don't know the "up" strat.

wtf is the point of anything? walking from your car to your apartment. walking from the door to your chair. intermezzo.

pretentious artistic reasons

Kojima's peak of silly

it was all down hill from here

>intermission

this isn't a seasonal 24 episode anime user. you are literally just climbing up a ladder while a song plays.

To insert the epic Snake Eater theme into an intermission in the game. One of the most chilling moments of the series for me.

This isn't a game so much as it's a theatrical performance. They have intermissions.

gives the player a sense of scale

you'r supposed to be climbing up to the peak of a mountain after all

But that's exactly what it is user.

Kojima wanted to capture the essence of many films during the 60s era. Intermissions were a common sight, and Kojima felt it was appropriate to add one, but not really stop total control from the player.

If you don't feel anything epic from that moment, then MGS isn't for you.

It's simple, yet memorable moment. Years from now people will still remember that ladder.

Anyone else climb back down it?

CHAAAAAAAAAANGE EATERRR

thats silly. because if I wanted an intermission I would just pause the game

Games aren't always exactly what "you want"

How did MGS3 do this moment so right but MGSV have such an awkward half assed attempt at recreating it in the car with Skull Face

I feel sad for your life

darkness and silence

I jumped down, hoping it would show the entire fall. It's just an instant death while the camera stays at the top of the ladder.

MGS3's was gameplay, MGSV's was a cutscene centered around the worst villain in the series

>Playing Dark Souls
>Climbing up the big ladder in Darkroot Basin/Kalameet's boss area
>Start thinking "What a thrill..."

A thrill.

xD same!

It's a break that once again let's them use their great theme and creates a lull in action before the 3rd act

youtube.com/watch?v=9aHQnDTd1y4

MGSV took all control away from the player.

Show how supreme big boss is to climb that latter so easily.

MGSV had by far the best controls and most options to tackle your enemies out of any MGS game. Only thing is the story wasn't outstanding and I felt it lacked much of the signature MGS charm

MGSV's was exposition with a villain, MGS3 was reflection after a memorable boss while still controlling your character, accompanied by a good song.

I don't think MGSV's was meant to be compared to it, it's so far away in terms of purpose.

During the Jeep ride bruh

he was specifically referring to the car scene

youtube.com/watch?v=O3Z5UGE3g5M

If this doesn't make you feel anything, you're either jaded or an idiot.

Why didn't he say that then, you fucking retards

It did, which is all the more reason the ending shoudln't have taken it all away

At least the setpiece before the horrific jeep scene was bretty good

It's a masked loading segment, Kojima just dressed it up as best he could and to this day people are still fooled

oh

the post he was replying to already established the comparison between MGS3's ladder scene and MGSV's car scene you fucking retarded faggot

It's the only comparable scene to the ladder climb dumbfuck.

why reiterate what has already been said in the post it was quoting tho

They should have used sins of the father at the beginning of the metal gear fight. Like how they used Heavens Divide.

Forced intermissions relieve tension and build anticipation for the next act. This one was particularly stylish.

Would you rather have an empty checkpoint room instead?

sorry... I read it wrong.

My b

>I raised you, and loved you, I've given you weapons, taught you techniques, endowed you with knowledge. There's nothing more for me to give you. All that's left for you to take is my life.

Downtime.
You just finished an intense, slow burn >=30 minute boss battle (first time at least), and get some nice time to rest and reflect before resuming gameplay.
Imagine if you just went straight from the end to sneaking around the trenches and tunnels of the mountains. It would be weird, to say the least.

it's okay. happy new years

Don't worry about it. It takes a real man to apologise

Loading screen, getting you in the mood, resting from a battle.

fuck I miss when mgs was good, then they listened to cod faggots and removed the only things that made mgs memorable, easter eggs, long cutscenes, codec calls, actual bosses, crafted ambientations instead of a blank open world with a few shitty outposts, and many other things

That's debatable. In his case, it was a minor incident and I'm getting a bit of a feminine vibe from him. I'd say it's only masculine to apologize when you're really embarrassed or sorry

You can't blame Kojima for not doing the same thing the rest of his life. He tried to hand classic MGS off to other people with 3 but had to come in and rescue it. So the only way he could do something else is through MGS to make money for Konami while he got to do pet projects like PT.

I will literally suck your dick if you call me feminine again and we'll see who's gay then

It's a metaphor for how naked snake is ascending to the boss's level, while at the same time serving as a transition to the next level.

Notice the difference between lush jungle and rough barrens.

3 was when he lost his co-writer, tho.

This part would be so much better if your feet didn't make more noise than the song.

Japan has a thing about putting dead time into movies, to let the audience "digest" what they just saw. This is that.

>big boss passed over the boss's age while in a coma before TPP

the fuck are you guys on about, 3 was the last masterpiece.
And yes I can blame kojima, the fans wanted a game that tied everything together and instead we get a game about completely unrelated shit never mentioned before and that's not even finished

Yeah but that has nothing to do with how he changed the gameplay in the series going forward. Like PW monster hunter style, or MGSV open world.

He could have kept using the same gameplay structure he had since MG2

It's a break within the game flow
It's a developer tactic as to not overwhelm the player with constant, high action gameplay while serving as a scene transition, as well as in many modern cases, a clever method of buffering content.

What was the point of this?

there was at least a monologue unlike the ladder scene.

Kojima got fucked by Konami user, its not like he wanted to give you 30% of a metal gear solid game at full price. I'm pretty sure all the main missions that were unrelated to the plot were supposed to be the side missions, and the side missions were going to be triggered in the open world. He was taken out of development pretty early so Konami had a basic plot and some early features that they tried to make into a full game.

kino
for kids

Why didn't he write a long-enough monologue?

He was trapped into MGS. He tried to end it at 2. Konami said make another. He tried to let others handle 3. They had to bring him back in to fix it. He said fuck it I'll just use MGS as a facade to make what I want. So he tried to make a war game where Snake has to go back and forth between helping both sides while sneaking through an actual battlefield, but they couldn't get the open world on PS3 at the time so he ended it with that fan fiction tier style story. Then he made his monster hunter style like. Then he finally got his open world game.

so basically he cared only for himself
wtf i hate kojima now

literally the most artistic and cinema-like thing kojima has done.

of course fucking plebs are going to attempt to figure out the meaning behind a scene like this.

>Forced intermissions relieve tension and build anticipation for the next act.

thats what codec calls have been doing for previous games. at least with codec calls you have the option to skip them.

Actually ac!d 2 was the last masterpiece.

But of course that had nothing to do with kojima, and he made absolutely fucking sure everyone knew it by disowning it from the continuity.

Form follows thought user. Without a second writer to call him on his shit he didn't have anyone to check him.

It's like what happened with Lucas.

>literally the most artistic and cinema-like thing kojima has done.

It's too bad you couldn't skip the 40 second helicopter ride and 5 minutes of sprinting through nothing at the start of every MGSV mission.

Only tangentially related to the thread, but should I play Ground Zeroes before PP? I don't think it'll matter to me storywise because I haven't played a MGS game since the first one, but I see there are unlocks you can transfer. I started with TPP and just got to the part where you start doing the open world shit, after the Ghost Rider horse scene.

>trapped.

Then why disown ac!d?

Golorified loading screen

>autistic rambling about some incoherent bullshit
not only was that dumb
>sneak up on your big bad enemy
>perfect shot , can take him out on the spot
>nah lets just go with him wherever he want to go
these games are fun and all but the writing is atrocious

Shit, I heard that in the Omikron voice of that thing that attacks at the beginning of the game.

Look up the unlocks for it and decide if it's worth it.
I'd say yes. It's a very good "demo" on its own. The main mission is very entertaining. The extra content is fun, specially the two throwback missions.
Some people say it's even better than TPP. And I almost agree with them.

the only unlocks are

>a hideo kojima staff member for your base
>a golden robot arm
>a costume that turns you into the old PS1 model of solid snake

I just beat 4
The first 2 arcs were really good and the last 3 just felt like you were watching a movie, barley any stealth

Act 4 man
Nothing says nostalgia like all the guards being robots.

Laughed audibly. Thanks.

It was to allow the PSP version of the game to load.

You see, the PS2 was way, way, way stronger. So it could do the loading on-the-fly. But the second half of that game was on the other side of that ladder, and it had to be separated for that version in by either a really long ladder sequence, or a minute-and-thirty second loading screen.

You have to remember, Loading screens that lasted over a minute were unheard of in that era. So it would have been extremely jarring to have one.

After a long boss fight like the End, which can be particularly stressful, you need that breather

Is MGS arthouse?