Game dev here. I recently just left the console industry and I want to make a game on Steam. Looking at the top games...

Game dev here. I recently just left the console industry and I want to make a game on Steam. Looking at the top games, it seems a lot of it is dominated mostly by top publishers and devs, with the occasionally indie like Undertale or Stardew Valley. Is Steam good for a small dev team or will you barely make 1K sales? What kind of games tend to work best there? Any hungry markets?

Woah

Make a game with a cute female lead wearing skimpy clothing. Sad thing is, sex sells. The game can be compete utter ass and you will still make a decent profit. Anything under 10 bucks will sell. Look at ribi Rabi, momodora, etc. Perhaps an 8 bit senran kagura clothing rip type of game.

/thread

Sex can also ruin the hell out of you, so you have to be careful.

this, but put a focus on cute bare feet! footfags are an untapped market!

You could try 'Youtube-bait-games'. Games that are tailored for commentary gameplay.

Are you starting out anew or did you already worked on a game from scratch one?

a-and b-bestiality too!!

What, the kind of games that make people talk about stuff like minecraft?

Yes. I wouldn't have gotten my old job if I didn't have anything to show. I'm comfortable with working from start to finish.

This, but the game has to be good. Otherwise you'll end up with a Haydee situation.

If your team is small, any genre is fine outside big ones, like MMO, FPS, and card games.
Metroidvanias always sell decently even if pure pixelshit like Environmental Station Alpha assuming you put actual effort into it.

Man fuck Metroidvanias personally. I never thought that genre works for 2D.

OH SHIT THEY ALL GOT 8'S!

Explicit loli haram games pls

It definitely works better for 2D than 3D.
That said, I still played this game for quite a while and it's a prime example of a 3D Metroidvania, albeit quite short.

looks pretty bad, too. I never understood why some people dont use shaders to hide their simple 3d models and textures

Steam is superb. You just gotta know how to make your game get noticed.

checked

That's always the hardest part

I would start with a mod
if that works out, I would go on to make a standalone game

Problem with mods is that you're not only competing with others, but becoming something like Counterstrike is a lesson in striking gold.

d-don't forget to make her obe- i mean thicc!

feet game pls

Getting the word out there is unbelievably important, the method matters little as long as you have a solid title and get people to know "hey maybe I should buy this". Just making a good game and putting it up for the Greenlight process doesn't even guarantee your game gets permission to be published on Steam, let alone selling enough copies to even remotely recoup the money you spent on the Greenlight fee and developing the damn thing. The indie section is already a bottomless swamp with the arms of the forgotten titles sticking out, ready to pull newcomers into the depths of unprofitability while the survivors cling onto the little islands they managed to find.

That's primarily why I'm hesitant to release on there. It's a hell a lot better than the mobile market, that's for sure, but the difference here is that you're competiting with apps in the same category of interactive entertainment.

I feel like I should test the waters with a small project.

I don't think Sup Forums is a good place to ask for advice on this.

There's some people who swear by Steam and know the business through a consumer's eyes. It's a good resource.

The fun part is that the alternatives aren't that much better at all. Sure, you might get far more visibility than you'd get on Steam, but then again they have a mere fraction of the traffic.

I released an indie game on Steam a few weeks ago, ask me anything

just give general advice

Gib' name.