So here are some Giant Bomb impressions of the Switch, after some hands-on:

So here are some Giant Bomb impressions of the Switch, after some hands-on:

>Switch screen looks really good, better than Wii U
>Motion controls on the Joy Cons are just ok at best, joy con wrist straps kept disconnecting (which triggers an in-game prompt to reconnect the strap in 1,2 Switch) during gameplay for more than two members of the press
>Zelda on the Switch has frame-drops, like the Wii U version, and is indistinguishable to both Dan Ryckert and Jeff Gerstmann. Felt the same as the Wii U E3 2016 demo to them. Peter Brown, from Gamestop, reported more pop-in in Zelda handheld mode than TV mode.
>Joy Con (R) felt awkward because of analog stick position, Joy Con (L) felt ok, but both felt too small
>Joy Cons on the Grip felt like a Dreamcast controller to them
>all buttons are digital
>Playing games in Tablet mode (small screen resting on a table) is not good; playing multiplayer games in Tablet mode is terrible due to screen size
>The sound was too low even when maxed out, can't play 1,2 Switch at a party unless it's outputting audio to a TV (while they're marketing it as a game you gotta listen to the controller's speakers) and you ask everyone to shut up
>everyone was extremely underwhelmed by the launch line-up, Super Bomberman R felt like a PS1 that didn't play well to Dan Ryckert
>Every game, with the exception of Super Mario Odyssey, looked like a Wii U game according to Dan Ryckert
>Price is too high, game library is not good; all four Giant Bomb members discussing it said they wouldn't buy the console for now if they were not in the gaming business. Vinny Caravella said he'd play the new Zelda on the Wii U and wait for the Holiday season before thinking of buying a Switch

This doesn't look well for the system. What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-whats-in-the-box/1100-6446901/
youtube.com/watch?v=W8WjK7iA5IA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Joy Cons on the Grip felt like a Dreamcast controller to them
Based

You can sell fucking anything to people now as long as you market it well enough. If they do, they'll do fine. If they don't they won't. How good the console actually is doesn't even matter.

Welcome to 2017.

>Zelda is indistinguishable from wii u version
fucking dead on arrival

>$300 console
>extra $30 to get controller that charges and plays
>$60 per game
>pay for online
>pic related
the Switch is a fiasco second to none in Nintendo's history. it's not even out and the people who have been using it already call it shit. If their market share doesn't tank harder than the Hindenburg, it will just prove that Nindentrones are more brainless than Apple users.

why 4 splitscreen if everyone has their own separate screen already???

is nintendo the new Apple?

>extra $30 to get controller that charges and plays
It comes with 2 though. All controllers are expensive as fuck since gen 7 since they're ramming so much tech into them.

yeah, 2 controllers that you can't play while charging. If you're going to just play it singleplayer, you can change controllers i suppose, but otherwise it's shit that you can't charge and play at the same time
for fucks sake, the 360 and ps3 could charge and play

They will also use much less charge though than a gamepad. They should last more to the tune of Wii U pro controller life rather than gamepad life.

>same graphics as wii u

Wow.

Just fucking wow.

I have no fucking words. Good fucking job Nintendo. Jesus.

Switch is 1080p, Wii U is 720p.

except that zelda runs at 720 in tablet mode and 900p on dock mode

It's still technically better than the Wii U version.

Source?

1080p on dock is what is reported except by

>this totally legit youtuber I know

You're trying to salvage this by saying it's "techinically" better than a console that was underpowered as fucking hell at the time it came out in 2012. Surely we reached the point where we can just frown upon this and stop trying to spin it into a positive, right?

>Zelda on the Switch has frame-drops, like the Wii U version
Wii U version it is for me

>game library is not good

It's already the best of this and last gen's.

If anything else matters to you then perhaps you've grown out of playing video games.

Well, everything I thought is apparantly true and something that you can only tell by messing with the thing make it sound awful.

This is going to be the next Virtual Boy. All of those announcers from last night are going to commit seppukku

I think a 720p handheld is pretty sweet.
The competing consoles do not even do 1080p 60FPS why should Switch which is doubling as handheld?

>but PC can do it

Sure, I wouldn't argue otherwise, PCs are inherently superior because of the modular hardware.

>I think a 720p handheld is pretty sweet.

I do too, but they are marketing it as a console first and a handheld second.

I'm not trying to salvage or spin anything, i'm just stating facts.

To say they look the same just isn't true, the jump from 720p to 1080p on your average monitor let alone decently sized tv is pretty substantial.

The Switch version will look better than the Wii U version on the basis of resolution alone.

WHY THE FUCK DIDNT THEY FOCUS ON THIS HAVING BUILT IN VR

Its a goddamn portable powerful tablet thing, strap a headmount on it along with some gyroscope thing and BOOM, VR.

You even have those Joycon things for controls.

>The Switch version will look better than the Wii U version on the basis of resolution alone.

And yet the people who are playing this thing right now are saying the exact opposite.

I have the same opinion. Zelda looks cool, but I have a Wii U and I dont want to play Skyrim on my countless plane rides.

hahaha

They're speaking in very general terms.

If you think 720p and 1080p look the same, cool, I sure as hell don't.

So? I'm not completely out of touch so the marketing is irrelevant to me. I'm not gonna get stuff based on marketing being good or bad even if that's how most will approach it.

Who gives a fuck what they think. Why do you faggots suck these lard asses dicks so much?

>This is what other people had to say about the Switch

What a pointless post. That said, Switch is for fags and retards.

That's the point. The people that have actually seen both versions in action say they can not tell a difference.

they have first hand experience with the thing, their opinions count for something when it comes to the switch.

>according to Dan Ryckert

hmmm, that's not exactly...

Better question: Why the fuck didn't they just focus on making a good console? WHY DIDN'T THEY DITCH THE GIMMICKS? HAVE THEY NOT LEARNED A THING?

>they have first hand experience with the thing, their opinions count for something when it comes to the switch.
No it doesn't. Stop spamming these retards on Sup Forums.

Ok?

I'd rather draw on my own personal experiences and then wait on an actual technical comparison then rely on the off hand comments of people who played the two versions of the games months apart.

jesus how dense can you be. it's a new product and all we have to go by is what nintendo is telling us and what these guys are telling us, you'd be fucking retarded to either go in blind or take the word of the people trying to sell you the thing over the word of people who get to use the thing early.

they are well past that point user

So many fanboys in this thread.

Switch is shit, stay in denial.

Giant Bomb is a podcast of jaded old men that are never excited about anything. Don't count on them to get you excited about video games.

Why would you listen to either group?

1. You are a fucking retard, these guys are always spammed on Sup Forums for whatever reason. This isn't only about the Switch.

2. Consumers are better at telling you how the system is and what features it has, or better yet directly from Nintendo.

3. If you need them to assess your purchasing decision, then you need to develop better critical thinking.

4. Fuck off, faggot.

More like welcome to 1955. "These days", heh.

>play the new Zelda on the Wii U and wait for the Holiday season before thinking of buying a Switch
The only sane decision

Look, I think the switch is shit

but....

>2017
>giving a fuck what anyone at giant bomb thinks

You need a certain amount of cynicism to not fall to hype and marketing in this industry and become a joke yourself. As much as I love the EZA guys, for instance, it was cringeworthy when they basically stopped interacting with the audience or watching the show to pre-order five Switches, Zelda Deluxe, Zelda standard and Zelda Master Edition (Michael Damiani).

Yeah, that seems about accurate. Nintendo fucked up on the implementation. They had a simple concept, and all they had to do was do it well, but they just fucked it all up by overcomplicating it.

>Playing games in Tablet mode (small screen resting on a table) is not good; playing multiplayer games in Tablet mode is terrible due to screen size
I was expecting this right from the start. The screen is the same size as the Wii U gamepad's screen. People on Sup Forums are calling it a tablet and outing themselves as Sonydrones who've never even used a Wii U - the screen on the Switch is fucking TINY.

I hope that Reggie was telling the truth about their "rhythm" strategy. I could sort of excuse a shitty launch lineup if I were getting a new Nintendo game every month. But at the moment, the library seems weirdly sparse. Haven't they been working on Switch games for basically the past two years?

Well not really. In the 90s people buying video games were not as much of a wide spread audience as they are now. This happens to all mediums over time.

People were more discriminating. There was only 1 video game crash ever, it happened in the 1980s and never happened since (and won't in the future) for very specific reasons, the market is just enormous and has complete saturation.

So far, we can't have hands-on experience ourselves. They're the closest we get right now. Nintendo will happily cover all that info posted here, for instance, to make the console sell better.

cause they're the only sources of information on the thing until some demo units start rolling out or the thing releases. going into everything blind usually ends up with a NMS situation.
1. You are a fucking retard, these guys are always spammed on Sup Forums for whatever reason. This isn't only about the Switch.
this podcast is about the switch. it doesn't matter if they've been posted before, this podcast is about the switch and this podcast is the one op wants to talk about

>2. Consumers are better at telling you how the system is and what features it has, or better yet directly from Nintendo.
nintendo would have you believe that the joycons are a marvel to hold sideways and aren't too small for most people, you have to be a complete moron to take the word of the people trying to sell you the product over the word of people who report on the products and don't have a financial stake in the thing succeeding

>3. If you need them to assess your purchasing decision, then you need to develop better critical thinking.
holy fuck you're retarded, using other peoples perspectives to assist in a purchasing decision is a smart thing to do

>4. Fuck off, faggot.
nice argument faggot

>I was expecting this right from the start. The screen is the same size as the Wii U gamepad's screen. People on Sup Forums are calling it a tablet and outing themselves as Sonydrones who've never even used a Wii U - the screen on the Switch is fucking TINY.

Here's a comparison shot from a guy who went to the NYC event. To anyone that has a Wii U, grab your game pad and think how it would be to play multiplayer games. Yeah, it's bad.

Imagine what it would cost if it didn't have hundreds of dollars of gimmick technology in it.

Oh good lord, what a fucking mess.

The mere fact that Milking Cow Simulator Tech Demo is not even bundled in shows how out of touch Nintendo is.

>Switch games for basically the past two years?

The fact that they couldn't even manage WIi U Ports like MK8 and Splatoon 2 for the Switch on release is a pretty bad sign as to what is going on internally at Nintendo.

>B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BUT THE HD RUMBLE!!!!
>B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BUT THE INFRARED SENSORS ON THE JOY-CONS!!!

i can only hope that they're planning a more stripped down version as an alternative, like a bundle that just the console and the joycons at a cheaper price or joycons the cant be used for measuring how many ice cubes are in your cup.

More ppi but yeah the real estate isn't great.

Sort of irrelevant to me, I don't play much local co-op. Also isn't part of the gimmick that you bring 2 switches? Nobody would play 4 players on one switch screen. You'd do 2x2 surely.

I mean... 2 joycons are only $10 more than a DS4... I honestly don't know why this shocks people. Still trying to understand it. Unless people are just pissed off about how expensive controllers are nowadays, which I agree.

>cause they're the only sources of information on the thing until some demo units start rolling out or the thing releases.

Then logic dictates you wait until then.

You still need to buy the part that goes in the middle as well, right?

in US dollars a ps4 controller is 50 dollars new on amazon and the joycons are 80.
logic dictates you gather as much info as you can, which means hearing people like GB out since they've had first hand experience

If that were an option they would've done a stripped down, more economical version of the Wii U as well.
It didn't happen. Wii U was left to die.
The only thing in favor of that is the 3ds is at the end of it's lifespan and nintendo is riding on the switch now.
They probably really don't want this thing to fail.

If you're not using it in portable mode, then yes. That part is 30$, btw.

There's a difference between hearing something and taking it into consideration and treating it as gospel, which is exactly what people in this thread have done.

wheres the upf thread and the link, wtf

Dan has literally never been wrong about anything.

Nigga
It's 1/10th the size of the fucking thing and was probably devd for the Wii U first
Wii TP is same as gc, but shit like SS looked (but didn't play) so much better

but they did have different versions of the wii u at launch and it is a lot easier to do with the switch because you can just take thing away and if people want them they can buy them separately because they're selling everything except for the actual console unit separately. it would have been alot harder to do with the wii u where the console and the gamepad were essential to the consoles function.
that still doesn't warrant completely ignoring the info GB is putting forward, idiots will be idiots.

>here are some e-celeb's opinons about [x]
nobody fucking cares you cancer

It's not required, it's just nice to have.

You mean the screen?

I guess you're right about having multiple versions of the switch at launch, but at this point the current version that's 300$ I would've expected to be 250/70$, with the 300$ version having a pack-in game (probably 1-2-switch) and pro controller.

But the gamepad was nowhere near essential for the wii u to function. They forced menu shit onto it for it to be required, but that's all stuff that would've been easy to put on a normal controller/screen. The pad did nothing but bloat the cost of the console, which had a lot to do with why nobody bought it.

>everyone was extremely underwhelmed by the launch line-up, Super Bomberman R felt like a PS1 that didn't play well to Dan Ryckert
Okay, sure, the launch lineup sucks.

But then Mario Kart Deluxe is coming in April.

And ARMS is coming in June.

And Spla2n is coming in September.

And Mario is coming in ~November.

I think the first year is going to be shaky, but look what they're doing with it. Spreading out their releases, making sure there's a constant stream of content. And next year they'll do it again. And the next year. And the next year.

It's definitely not worth getting directly at launch, but it won't be long, at this rate, before it IS worth getting. As long as they can keep up the stream, they're fine.

>Dosen't even post source.
I wouldnt be surprised if any of these statements where true but jesus christ user, your looking more gulible than Karl from the Ricky Jervais show

i expected there to be 2 different versions of the switch for sure but at the same time i didn't expect nintendo to jew as hard as they have with this thing. and yea i didnt mean the gamepad was essential to gameplay but just because they made it the only way to move around the menus and the like, they made it essential.

Ports like disgaea and SF2 or even minor games can grab some attention and make the game drought less dry. Isnt anything impressive but its something. And miles better than WiiU.

Hi Reggie. Do you really think 5 games a year is enough?

I honestly can't tell the difference.

>Mario Kart Deluxe
Same shit as any other mario kart.
>ARMS
Literal shovelware for $60
>Splatoon 2
Same shit than 1 except worse online now.
>Mario
Only thing remotely resembling a game.
So yeah you get mario and zelda and that's it good luck getting anything until 2019.

Oh yeah fair enough

>Nintendo will bow outta hardware and go 3rd party

I used to scoff at this meme, but holy shit after yesterday it might happen.

5 big games a year is nothing to sneeze at.

Also E3 is coming.Drop something like Xenoblade or other popular IP and see people flocking on it.

stop lying faggot

the base for the joycons that assembles them into a reguar controller and can also be charged while playing is included.

proff: gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-whats-in-the-box/1100-6446901/

it's fucking portable you dumbass cuck, how can you compare the two? Are you retarded?

did you know the 3DS is weaker than the Wii???? NO WAY!!!!!!1!!

when your console is launching that little is abysmal specially when we don't know if they can rely on 3rd parties are gonna fill the gaps for them. MS or sony can get away with it because they have EA and activision releasing yearly iteration of games that can buy them time to release their own first party games at a slower pace but historically nintendo hasn't had this luxury.

Dan said he *would* buy it if he wasn't in games journalism.

I think I could live with it if it meant dropping gimmicks and playing the latest Zelda games on PC. I'd love it if they went PC only, in part because the reactions would be hilarious.

They still have stuff unannounced and without release date aside the soon(tm).

Also Hiroshima said that he dont want droughts of games.

>I'd love it if they went PC only

I wouldn't be opposed to that and this is coming from a guy who has had a toaster going for 9 years now. Would gladly upgrade my rig.

if they do they're playing an extremely risky game by not revealing more. it really seems like the console is starting it's life cycle out with a drought.

Let's be real here.
Wouldn't this be the best case scenario?

I mean, I like Nintendo, but I'd be perfectly fine with them going the way of Sega.
Maybe they could spend more time making games than working on instantly outdated hardware.

I imagine there's a certain amount of devs there who've been chomping at the bit for this to happen.

I still cannot believe they dug into the gimmick well again, lightning can't strike twice, 2006 is loooong gone and peoples tastes have changed since then. That is what frustrates me the most.

So this is what is supposed to be competing with PS4, Xbone and PC

wooowwwwww

Disgaea 5 is literally a 2015 game. I'm not even going to talk about SF II being re-released yet again on a modern platform and being sold for $40+.

How's this different from the Wii U?

>Switch is 1080p

Then why are Nintendo saying they're targeting 720p60fps for all their games?

The video's name is there on the first screenshot. Are you special?

They keep saying that but not living up to it.
To be fair, the first party-games from Sony and MS aren't that great either, but they have the luxury of literally every other game being on their system. That's what attracts the average customer.
The Switch is IMO a cool concept but I won't buy a console that doesn't have any interesting games yet.

But it's not. There's a steady stream of games coming out over the next year.

You say there's a drought, but the real situation is just that there aren't that many games on the Switch to start. But that will change, very quickly, as long as Nintendo can keep up their release schedule. Console are almost never worth getting at launch. The PS4 wasn't. It only recently became a viable system to support. What really matters is how quickly you can MAKE them worth getting. By this time next year, the Switch will have a very enticing library.

People always bring up how the Switch is launching in the middle of a release cycle, so it's at a disadvantage. But in the same vein, the PS5 will be launching in the middle of the Switch's lifespan. And if the Switch can build and maintain its momentum, it will suddenly be a VERY appealing platform when that time comes.

Switch version looks better

youtube.com/watch?v=W8WjK7iA5IA

You can't trust anyone at GB about graphics. They can't tell if they're playing at max or low settings half the time if you watch their UPFs.

Nice b8.
I sincerely hope at least, it'd be sad if you were this deluded

>first party-games from Sony

Spider-Man PS4
God of War
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Detroit: Become Human
GT Sport
Gravity Rush 2
Last of Us part II
Days Gone
Death Stranding