What's up with all the Texas references in FF VII?

What's up with all the Texas references in FF VII?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QxP442T-aZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=u_NfJRLT8NY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Texas colony was a witness to some great history.

Japan loves Texas.

They like the Cowboy lifestyle.

So the translation says Texas even in the Japanese version?

Don't know.

Most, if not all, of the backgrounds are unchanged.

I wouldn't start headcanonning that FF7 takes place in the real world "hundreds of thousands of years later" or anything like that right away. The odds are that whoever made those prerendered backgrounds was just trying to give Tifa's bar a saloon-esque feel without stopping to think about the worldbuilding implications it would have for American players, to whom Texas is just another ordinary place. Japanese tend to glaze over English words in general as half the time they're only there to make the game more cool and cinematic.

It's also possible that those textures were copied from real signs that actually existed in the real world somewhere. That was a common practice back then.

Daily reminder that a lot of models in the original Silent Hill were copied wholesale from a terrible family comedy starring Arnold Schwarzeneggar called Kindergarten Cop because that was just the reference the devs chose for "small American town with a school in it" for some fucking reason.

it's a shit game that's what's up

>dumb nonsensical story
>looks like absolute trash
>shit gameplay
>stupid characters
>Caith Shit

That's actually crazy. What a strange practice.

They know it's the best state.

Who /Texas/ here?

>Kindergarten Cop
>terrible
Fuck you

>They know it's the best state.
Clearly not the best at American football

Silent Hill 1 is a pretty game

FF7 is the greatest game of all time

They're secretly Jojo references

Rekt

Reminds me of the two bounty hunter TV characters in Cowboy Bebop.

>for some fucking reason.
Google as we know it didnt exist yet.

heck, the www-format was just recently popped up!

What are you, Texasphobic?

God those midgar areas are so fucking comfy

>Caring about commercialball

>texas level
>honky tonk music starts playing

>Unlockable costume for Tifa in Remake

>implying that CD-Roms had space for localized animated background textures.

>Tifa instantly knows which cocktail to pour

They're made for each other

A H Y E A H

It's a saloon. Jap devs associate them with the Wild West and Wild West = texas.

youtube.com/watch?v=QxP442T-aZ0

Cali my nigga

And this plays in the bar?

youtube.com/watch?v=u_NfJRLT8NY

Only album I didn't like from Ween, really. I don't dig country. Its got a solid track or two

>Remake
Buying a PS4 just for this.

>buying a console for 1 game
>a game by a developer studio that has put all its prior games of the series on Steam so far
wew lad

I know it's stupid but I'm the kind of fanboy that buys consoles just to play that one game day one. I don't want to wait 6 months to a year for the PC release.

Which begs the question:
What did he get?

Because he doesn't really seem like the drinking type. Sake or vodka. Bourbon, maybe.

I haven't played FF7 in years, but I remember thinking the world map looks a lot like the real world map rotated upside down so Wutai, the Jap inspired places, was in the west.

To be honest, there ain't much other reason to buy a PS4 other than an upcoming release, since all the other games on the console are either shit or not console exclusive.

Better buy a ps5

For the Complete Collection rerelease?

However the world in FF7 doesn't have temperature zones or seasons based on axial tilt towards the Sun. It's all arbitrary, and the only reason why there's cold in the north is that the Northern Crater is still bleeding lifestream.

Maybe he got a basic poorfag pleb drink like rum with coke. Or Tifa's homebrew rot gut.

I will if there's no chance of it getting released on PC.

There's an allusion to Seventh Haven making moonshine. Early on, one of the drunks outside the bar says how strong her home-made drinks are.

*Seventh Heaven

Texas you say?

Not enough bust.

She's considerably younger in that picture.

When is the anniversary event? I want some FF7 news

>copied wholesale from a terrible family comedy starring Arnold Schwarzeneggar called Kindergarten Cop
You're phrasing that like people wouldn't know what Kindergarten Cop is.
Do people not know about Kindergarten Cop anymore?

Not. Enough. Bust.

I would love to chill in the Seventh Heaven.

>That was a common practice back then.

You realize that now 99% of textures in videogames are literally just directly lifted from real life photographs and touched up for ~10 minutes, right?

It's a lot more common now than it was back then.

GIVE IT TO TIFA

What was the 'special'?

Looking back on it, this was a pretty hard choice.

Cloud stole Marlene's schoolin' money too.

>Korean B.B.Q.
>WHO EATS SUSHI IN A RUN DOWN SHITHOLE WITH NO AGRICULTURE OR SHORE, PROBABLY TASTES LIKE GROCERY STORE SUSHI
>Today's """"""Special""""""

Either meth or some ramen.

BBQ all the way

By the time you finish the game, she can send her descendants to school several times over.

Oh yeah, for sure.

>Hard to screw up BBQ
>a dish that has to be done correctly
>a special you don't even know what is

Shit, this never even occured to me.

It was ok

To be fair, it's never stated how the Gil got split up. I dare say most of it went to Cid for Highwind services rendered (and that would explain the Shera).
Or maybe they all gave it to rebuilding Midgar.

We do know that Cloud and Tifa kept significant amounts of the Materia. Wonder how much Yuffie took?

I read somewhere that Nomura's original plan FOR 7 was a detective story set in NYC.

I'm pretty sure that every battle giving your party cash was just game design and not actually canon. They probably did profit quite a lot from the journey, but some otherworldly orange bouncyballs from the center of the planet dropping pallets of modern currency seems a bit suspect.

Barret probably took some of the elemental stuff as well. Fire, quake and blizzard are useful in infrastructure and mining, and he went back to help rebuild his home town.

Who do we have to thank that this didn't happen?

It became parasite eve. Or xenogears depending on which interview you read.

you get it

>It became parasite eve
This is probably what happened. I fucking loved PE though, Aya makes my dick hard.

>not Lightning for powering machines
>and Cure because fuck hospitals

For sure Ice, because goddamned Bombs.

As for the enemies and Gil, I always figured that they either had it on them (especially SOLDIER), or you sell their hides, or something.

>implying W-Item duplication bug isn't canon and Cloud didn't just create a fuckton of expensive shit to sell, becoming loaded

fucking this
/thread
saved for future threads about lore speculation
liked
commented
subscribed
followed
donated
pateron-ed
etc.

Too bad he couldn't duplicate Git Gud.

Maybe then he wouldn't have gotten run through twice in Advent Children.