Fallout 1 is exceptional

So I've only ever played the 3D fallouts all the way through, with New Vegas being my favorite by a wide margin. I've played a bit of FO1 and 2 but never finished them, and since the series turns 20 this year I decided to finally sit down and play them.

My first experience was going to Vault 15 a few years ago and not knowing you needed rope, getting stuck, and quitting. Last night was much different.

>make a speech and small guns based character
>stop by Shady Sands first
>do some quests and recruit Ian
>suddenly combat is easy
>buy a rope
>go plunder Vault 15
>predictably, the water chip is gone, so I go to junk town
>fuck up Gizmo, decide to fuck up the Skulz
>get my first death at the hands of Vinnie

I fucking love this game, let's talk about the old school Fallouts. Is Tactics worth playing?

>Is Tactics worth playing?
Yes, but it's a strategy game first and foremost.
Don't go into it expecting a RPG experience in the vein of Fallout 1 and 2.

Oh I know what kind of game it is, and that it's sort of in canon limbo, but I wanted to know if it was a good strategy game that's worth playing. I've got them all but you know, figured I'd ask.

Fallout is great, it's a shame there's some obvious cut content in it. I'll always prefer 2, but they're both excellent. Make sure you get around to doing a 10 Luck and Jinxed run sometime, it's loads of fun. Low Intelligence runs are fun, if a bit difficult to get into, as well.

I played it like 10 years ago, so it's not like I remember it that well, but I liked it. The story was really cheesy in places, but it lets you customize the way you want to play quite a bit.
The two extremes are either having a full 5? man party, but lower levels (exp is split between all) or building one super soldier hoarding all the experience.

Ah yes I've heard of low int runs. Shame they only have a few scant lines of dialog in 3/NV and not an entire option for having low int.

Can you make smaller parties? Say a pair of two badasses?

>Can you make smaller parties? Say a pair of two badasses?
Sure, it's anywhere between 1 and 5 (or 6, I don't remember exactly). I think you can even have supermutants/robots as party members.

There's none in Fallout 3, not that I can recall anyway.

Also should I be worried about running out of time? I hate games with time limits but it seems to be handled well here. I just got to Junk Town and I have 124 days left to find the water chip. How am I doing? I also heard you can let water merchants go to the vault but there are side effects?

There's a single instance in some school where a securitron asks you the password and with an int check of anything 3 or below you can scream "ICE CREAM" and it turns out to be the password. It's kind of funny to imagine a hulking retard shout ice cream but that's all there is.

>Also should I be worried about running out of time?
Not much, it's only a problem if you excessively travel around the world map.
>I also heard you can let water merchants go to the vault but there are side effects?
There are.

>There's a single instance in some school where a securitron asks you the password and with an int check of anything 3 or below you can scream "ICE CREAM" and it turns out to be the password
That's in New Vegas at Repconn HQ.

>BUY a rope

You can find one in a shed for free. If it's too hard to see items on the ground, you can set them to always be highlighted.

As for Tactics, it's pretty mediocre. The gameplay isn't exactly riveting and there isn't much in terms of story.

Jesus, just play the fucking game and enjoy it.
What the fuck is with you kids and the constant need for hand holding?

What's your SPECIAL distribution, good chap?

No, the water chip is reasonably easy to get your hands on, if you need to grind, do it after you get the chip.

Fuck off, it's just a simple question, he's not even asking about its location or anything.

i'm playing it for the first time and it's great. going melee weapons/unarmed currently raping everyone with spiked knuckles and a cattle prod/super sledge. i went to necropolis first (the atmosphere kinds sucked me in and i continued and found the chip) then the hub and junktown, currently doing the glow.

Is it? I could have sworn it was 3. Then again i haven't played 3 in years so ooh well.

I found that second rope and used it on a second elevator shaft. Figured you needed both of them since I used both of them in the vault.

I was just trying to discuss the game and asking if I had already fucked up, not asking for people to tell me what to do. Calm down. Also I was a teenager and was aware when this game first came out, I just never played it.

>should I be worried about running out of time?
>How am I doing?
>I also heard you can let water merchants go to the vault but there are side effects?

Learn to read, child.

>Also should I be worried about running out of time?
Be sure to find Necropolis as fast as you can and make your affairs there a priority.

Fuck off I was just trying to discuss the game. Asking how am I doing is just that - asking how I'm doing. If someone said I was turbo fucked I'd still play it after work tonight like I planned and still have a blast, what's wrong with discussing games and progress with people who enjoy the game?

2 is way better imo. I don't even know why, it's just bigger and more fun desu.

I haven't played it myself.

If you haven't been spoiled, I'd clear out of here OP. There's a lot of twists and turns in the series

Charisma is quite literally the most useless trait (or, more correctly, the least efficient). The rest is middle of the road, but mostly you should pull it off

I can't wait to get to 2. I've heard New Vegas borrows heavily from the lore and such from the game and has a lot of little nods and stuff. Since I've played NV a shitload of times I can't wait to see that context I've been missing.

Most of the story has been spoiled for me already unfortunately, long before I began playing.

I always go high Cha high speech characters so I figured this was a natural fit. I've had no trouble so far, and if it turns out I made a poorly balanced character I'll just start over when and if I get to a roadblock I can't surpass.

Follow up question that should've been in my first reply to you: is it more useful in FO2?

You're asking for help, just play the fucking thing and you can talk about it afterwards.

This is a lie

I think 2 is shit. It has the most pigeonholed and linear main story out of any Fallout game. At least 1, for example, let you side with the mutants even if it did end the game prematurely; no such choice in FO2, you are the savior of the tribespeople errytime. Further more, so many of the fucking moral choices are black and white; I remember one quest in the courtyard of vault city had a child who had lost their teddy bear. Well, the quest has three steps: talking to the kid, finding the bear, and returning the bear to her. You have one choice when you get to the kid: either rip it up in her face, or give it back. Such good writing.

I wouldn't call one objectively better than the other. They're both excellent, F2 is a great follow up to F1 thematically and they both have their own qualities and downfalls. I also prefer F2, but I appreciate why someone would prefer F1 or even New Vegas.

Sorry mate I forgot on Sup Forums we're not allowed to ever discuss games or have fun with them until we've beaten them and know everything about them, and then and ONLY then we can discuss them but ONLY to shit on people who haven't played them. I'll remedy that next thread.

My biggest obstacle right now in getting into Fallout is feeling constrained to a diplosniper playstyle. In New Vegas hand to hand was god tier, how do I engage fist of the north star in the originals?

I'm not sure, but after Fallout 1 I didn't even try.
First timers should invest in AGL anyway - even Endurance is not as much of a problem solver.

>This is a lie
Of course it is - in a game, where 75 per cent of problems and, at least 20% of experience is gained through combat, Charisma is the best investment.

>don't talk about videogames that you're playing

Level up a lot, perks make HtH the strongest weapon in the game

>NPC get mad at you for being a smug, pestering arsehole

The reactivity in Fallout is insane. God, do I wish more RPGs followed its example.

Try calling the oil ring from the powerplant :^)

Question guys, is the mayor of Junk Town voiced by Richard Dean Anderson? I swear that's MacGyver's smooth voice.

Time freezes basically when you enter a location. You can spend as much time as you need there. 99% of the days you lose are because of time you spend travelling to places. So make sure you have all your business finished up in one place before moving on.

Oh well. Fallout 1 still has a lot of nooks and crannies; it's a dense little game. I'm sure you'll find more secrets and surprises.

Fallout 2 is my personal favorite in the series. It's bigger and has more choices than 1. After you finish 2, you should try out the 1.5 Resurrection fangame.

Fallout is a result of it's technology like everything else. Because scripting these reactive scenes didn't involve recording many new voice lines or animating long sequences they could include a lot of little curios along the way. To do that scene in New Vegas they'd have to record the dialogue then script an event where an NPC who previously existed calls more NPCs for combat. Impossible? No. Time consuming? Yes.

I always liked how much of an asshole you could be in Fallout 2. Of course if you're playing the game and making choices according to what you think you would actually do, which is what most people do on their first playthrough, then you'll never do things like ripping that teddy up in front of the child or have a junkie whore herself out to you for money, only for you to refuse to pay her afterwards, but when you're replaying the game with the intention of playing a someone who is just a complete asshole, then F2 does a great job of accommodating that.

I do agree that it's dumb that you have to save the tribe. Even if you make the tribe hostile to you at the start of the game they'll treat you like you did nothing wrong later on because you're expected to act as their savior.

You're right.

Winnie the Pooh voices a character as well.

Well I've only had the story in broad strokes spoiled for me. Find water chip, then mutants show up, stuff about the master, then stop the mutants, stuff like that. Nothing else really, so I'm sure there's tons of stuff for me to uncover.

As for the fangame, I've been meaning to play that. Is it still around? I remember hearing about it and then nothing, so hopefully it wasn't taken down.

I fucking knew that was RDA. Thanks user.

see
a Jinxed/10 Lucky playthrough makes HtH a cake walk and incredibly entertaining to boot.

JOIN

>Fallout mods
>Being taken down
>Ever

Bethesda is a bad company, but Fallout could have ended in even worse hands
I still hope for Fallout to be bought by a good company that will make it a real RPG again

Well it's good to know Bethesda isn't a completely shit company, I suppose. Thanks.

>As for the fangame, I've been meaning to play that. Is it still around?
Yeah, but it's darkedgy non-canon where everything is terrible.

I thought this as well. The world may never know.

psst, if you want an ez run in F1, grab these SPECIAL tips:
Strength: 06
Perception: 09
Endurance: 04
Charisma: 05
Intelligence: 09
Agility: 09
Luck: 05

::: Traits :::
Skilled
Gifted

Sounds like some jackie chan shit, I'll check it out thanks user. Been meaning to play through the series mainline in chronological order.

is this a subtle troll?

Eh thanks but I'll either tough out my run or figure out a better formula for next time.

>can max out 4 out of 7 parameters
>troll

arrogant noobs are not welcome,

good luck with that - i mean there's always that magic quickload button just to weasel yourself out of a tough situation.

Fallout 3/NV NPCs were so passive, a lot of NPCs in Fallout 2 would tell you to fuck off or attack you if you decided to talk to them after they gave you a quest, while nothing happens if you do this in Fallout 3/NV.

I appreciate the advice, and if anything too serious happens I may have to restart, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I get the feeling this is a game that's so fun I wouldn't mind a restart.

>I wouldn't mind a restart
i did in my first run, but mostly cuz i fucked up the waterchip quest.

I've also noticed in just a few hours of playing that several npcs tell you to fuck off or won't talk to you at all if you've got a weapon drawn. In 3/NV you can talk to anyone with a shouldered Fat Man aimed at their face and nobody cares. The transition to 3D clearly lost a LOT of what made the series so great.

why would you ever take skilled?

literally use, like, half of them early in the game to gain extra items/xp

OP, You should try giving Fallout 1.5 Resurrection a try after Fallout 1. Its a really great fanmade total conversion for Fallout 2. Its longer than Fallout 1 but shorter than 2, set near Albuquerque. Imho it really deserves the title "1.5". Plenty of fun to be had.

I always put luck at 1, never found it useful on the whole and it never kept me down. Allowed me to put more points into Strength and Endurance.

Always got Fast Shot and Small Frame.

Skill focus was sneak, energy weapons, and steal.

Rob every person you meet. I mean everyone, you can roam outside your vault for a caravan. Make sure to save. Rob everyone of their gun, ammo, and their granola bars. I don't care what they have, I'm taking it.

Once you get to Hub City (after robbing everyone along the way), go to the library and sell everything for books (most notably Small Guns). Rob her of books and of your stuff back and resell it for more books. Do this until books are useless. Rob her again and sell what you have for a Sniper rifle and as much ammo as you can carry. If you don't have enough cash or stuff to exchange, rob people!

You should be about lvl 3 by now, getting most of your xp from stealing out of peoples pants. Go to the Boneyard and kill every Deathclaw, leave the sector of Deathclaws wait 1hr, rinse and repeat. Do this until you hit lvl 10 (or you get bored). Get rope, RadX and do the BoS quest. Become a member, rescue the BoS guy (you should have combat armour already). After rescuing the BoS member you get free power armour.

Go to Boneyard (and pick up a plasma rifle, you did spend you skill points on energy weapons correct?), have the plasma rifle and power armour upgraded (will need books and other materials for this, get what the scientist needs).

Congrats, you're now a nigh unkillable death machine able to shoot plasma shots (no aiming at body parts) with just 2 ap. Gun down those muties all day long.

Beat the game in the course of about 3 - 5 hours this way. Fun run.

The writing is pretty fucking goodghouls in power armor is a cool conceptbut some of the time restrictions on certain quests really fucking annoyed me.

Endurance I can understand, but Strength should be at 6 max, cuz Power Armor gives you +3 Strenght and +1 you can get from BoS surgeon.. If i'm not mistaken

But, since you can, basically, bathe in Stimpacks and Rad resistance chems, higher Endurance is not as relevant.

I might be crazy, but I very rarely can bring myself up to directly steal anything from NPC pockets (unless they are total dicks)

The rest of it sounds like plan.

You're not crazy, I'm the same way. I RP in these games too much and always RP as a nice guy. Plus I took the good natured trait and I'm playing as sort of a nice guy who wants to help anyone he can.

Adding fucking to love makes you look so mature dude!

Stealing is so viable though. Especially shotgun shells. Their value is so high they should be the replacement for caps as a main stay currency.

Whats interesting with stealing is that it compounds xp when you take multiple items (even of the same item) from people. However, you increase your chance of getting caught. So I just take the items once each and go from there.

I go for 7 Strength with the Power Armour in mind. I don't spend much time hanging around BoS. I'm there for the freebies.

If I remember correctly you get about 1000 xp for killing each Deathclaw.

Telling people off for swearing on the internet makes you look so mature dude!

I played the game in this fashion as I was unwilling to play through the whole game as a total dick to get the bad ending. Very hard to do on the whole.

Instead I set up the game so I just had to hit a button and walk out with the ending playing. You get a lot of good karma for defeating the mutants at both facilities. So for good measure I slaughtered two towns, especially the kids. You get a lot of bounty hunters after you very quickly after you become bad.

>not watching the ending on youtube

Not the same as experiencing your character turning into a mass killing dick all for the ability to shoot the Overseer in the back for kicking you out.

Right? I mean, the world has been already a neverending series of bitch-slaps and early cancer diagnoses towards 99% of the population, how the hell do I make it better then by robbing their lives from what little of value they have in possession.

>that top tier New OST
>quests that actualy let you chose what to do!
>new weapons and items
>CGI made to look straight out of the 90s
such a creation of love

Enjoy the first two. They're the best in the series.

Yes, FO 1 is a great game.

It's self-contained also.

I remember a thread a while back where I told a dude to use this build for his first playthrough since "luck doesn't matter"
His gun exploded in his face in the first cave.

>that crap perception
>maining small guns, big guns, and unarmed

that is pretty trolly, the fact that his gun blew up on him is all the more hilarious

remember that one autismo who played the game with 1 AG?
Anyone got the caps?

They aren't the worst by a long shot, but Bethesda in particular gets on my nerves more so than EA, Activision/Blizzard and Ubisoft.

People call those three out on their bullshit all the time, hell EA was declared the worst company in America at one point. Nobody calls out Bethesda even though they are just as bad.

This has been a successful Fallout thread to get me through the work day so I can go home and fuck the Skulz up, thanks guys.

literally spent 14 hours last two days replaying it.

so fucking good.

tactics is dirt man.

I got the bb gun from the event before I went to shady sands for the first time, extremely good, tried not to use it unless it was necessary
Kinda disappointed in how unarmed has lowish accuracy regardless of skill level, really wanted to fuck shit up with the power fist