Does anyone actually find The Legend of Zelda's story interesting or is the interest for it 100% because of muh...

Does anyone actually find The Legend of Zelda's story interesting or is the interest for it 100% because of muh nostalgia?

The story is basically just babby's first LOTR.

Well the original games were rather minimalist with the story, but starting with OoT it got a bit more detailed. Most of plots are rather simple but some of the character interactions, especially in Majora's Mask, can be quite good.

I dunno, do you have to constantly give yourself the high ground by putting "muh" behind opposing opinions?

>implying The Hobbit isn't babby's first LOTR

Most of the newer 3D games since OoT have pretty good story and tend to tie in well with each other. The multiple timelines thing is lame though and it was obviously just made up after the fact because they had so many games

TP has a good story and MM has neato side quests

Multiple timelines are a week narrative solution to sell better to autistic fans.

Its as interesting as Super Mario lore.
>Princess gone again
>X (triforce, sword, something) gone again

>Interesting as Super Mario lore
>Implying the green thwomp will ever be locked beneath the well
>Implying there will ever be a 10 minute video on Link sleeping
>Implying there will ever be an octorok jamboree

>The story is basically just babby's first LOTR.

Please name any sword & sorcery fantasy epic, in any medium, that doesn't smack heavily of LOTR.

Not to excuse lazy storytelling, but you must have noticed by now that fantasy as a genre and videogames as a medium haven't really gone anywhere in that department since the 30's.

Dragon Age Origins

Unfortunately mentally ill people (nintendo fans) are obsessed with muh lore even the the lore is incomprehensible nonsense.

It's 100% nostalgia and fans of the series having absolutely no standards.

I hardly remember the plot or premise, but I'm willing to take your word for it. How did it differ?

This unironically.

Morrowind
Nier
Ys games
I could keep going but that's already about a dozen so I'm good

>Elves are a dying race that previously was dominant but is now fading
>Dwarves live underground, like mining, and are beardy
>an unspeakable evil is overrunning the land with monstrous troops
>you literally have the heir to the throne in your party

I find Linkle interesting.

>Linkle will never let you succ her feminine penis
Why even live

No. The only thing that matters is that I'm a blonde Peter Pan that goes on an adventure to kill an gypsy looking guy who occasionally transforms into a hog.

this and origins had the ancient evil awakens trope, divided humans, dwarfs living in the mountains reminiscing of old glory, the spawn are basically undead orcs and the main villain was a dragon, that's the hobbit, but still.

Is this a joke? Dragon Age Origins is probably the closest thing you could get to LOTR without playing a LOTR game.

The story was never important until recently. It was supposed to be about the gameplay. Dungeons, puzzles, power-ups and bosses. The power-ups let you access different places in the map you couldn't before. It was about your personal battle against the game until you beat it.

The reason the story is such a cluster-fuck is that Nintendo used to see it as window-dressing. Make the game first, then build some half-assed story around it.

oh, and the sylvans, a ripoff of ents.

Well the elves were very in touch with nature, and lived in the forest and were dying out.
Dwarves lived underground, and were pretty greedy.
Also there's this army of evil humanoid-esque that just want to kill everything

this

While the idea of doing better than something like LOTR, which was created by an absolute genius, might seem impossible but can be done. Though why do people expect something that grand out of a game OP? People play LoZ games for the gameplay first, not the story.

Legend of Zelda is a pop culture icon born from quality games in an era where nintendo dominated the market. Its kept in the mainstream because it keeps a simple tried and true formula, has a fuckton of funding, and somehow isn't totally ruined by nintendos inept wankery bogging down new releases. Its popular because it's been popular and will take a catastrophic series of failures to stop being popular. The people who LARP about the story connections are a vast minority

Let's remember that Musou spinoffs are made precisely, exactly for that. I really wish they wouldn't try to justify those games in the context of whatever series they're tied into; it's distracting and unnecessary.

It's fun in the Sengoku and Three Kingdoms games, because those are quite old stories that stand on their own. The Dragon Quest one was pretty cute, though.

This is what I mean.

Morrowind is a good answer and an old favorite, so now I'm a little emabarrassed. I don't consider Nier to be straight fantasy. Ys is pretty tropey, but you're right, it's way more Nippy than Tolkienesque (and it's great). In reality there are a lot of fantasy things that beat their own drum, but they seem to be

Maybe the problem is that anything that doesn't cleave close to the Tolkien Standards, isn't considered high fantasy. Or it just isn't what fantasy fans are looking for. Imagine if Gary Gygax had based D&D more off Robert Howard than Tolkien. We'd be sick of very different tropes by now, like big tits and bold thievery.

Dark Souls

I love zelda, but i have never cared about timeline, i think it doesn't really exist or doesn't matter at all.

Well there is a shark locked up in Ocarina.

Nah m8 even morrowind has similarities and ideas from LOTR, nothing wrong with that because morrowind has a fleshed out world beyond those inspirations.

I was being facetious, if I wanted an actual example I would have said FE4

Couple points: LoZ, like Dragon Quest, is highly traditionalist (and basic) and has kept its following not in spite of that but because of it. I don't think that's a bad thing at all. It's like coming home every time you play a new game -- "nostalgia" coming from the Greek "pain of returning home." I guess the pain comes from the intuitive knowledge that it will never be your first game again. It's only bad if that's the only thing that keeps them coming back, which isn't the case for great series.

Second -- and I'm going in reverse -- fantasy nerds and aspiring "worldbuilders" base their work of previous fantasy work instead of seeking their own background and their own source material. Toklien built his world out of the pieces of the one that he already knew; fantasy writers almost to a person build theirs out of Tolkien's world. That's why the work has grown so thin.

I really like Conan stories, and a big part of that is that they take place in our own world. The places and peoples have their real-life analogues -- just warped enough by deep, deep pastness that they take on a truly mythic quality of their own. Salman Rushdie once said that no good story takes place anywhere but in the world we actually live in. I'm half on board with him. He's done a lot of fantastical stuff, but it all reflects our own reality and our own problems.

Let's not forget that Tolkien's work was also highly allegorical, linking it inextricably to the moral universe of man as-he-is. That's not something that GRR Martin does, for all his alleged chops -- and that's why his work is nothing but popcorn.