Ideas for Metroid 5

Let's just assume that, by some miracle, Nintendo unveils the next mainline Metroid game at E3. What would you WANT to see? A traditional 2D Metroid like pic related, or have it be 3D like Prime? Also, how should the story follow up after Fusion?

>A traditional 2D Metroid like pic related, or have it be 3D like Prime?

I want both but looking at it now, a lot of indie games are doing the whole 2D metroidvania and some really well. Doesn't make much sense to want another one.

I loved the Prime series personally, I wouldn't want another hybrid 2d/2.5/3d game like Other M.

It wouldn't sell no matter what.

>Other M was made my hacks
>now everyone is 100% convinced that Metroid can't work in third person and begs only for more rehashes
So sad. I just want Vanquish lite + in-depth platforming.

They're bringing back fan favorite Federation Force HD for Switch this E3!

traditional 2d metroid, prime games were garbage specifically because they were 3D. metroid did not make the 2d>3d jump as well as mario did.

I'd want to see that Nintendo hired everyone that worked on AM2R to make their own original 2D Metroid game and Nintendo's own developers in Japan stayed the fuck away

Im keeping my opinion to myself, The last time I said something Metroid other m happened( I dreamed about a 2d 3d hybrid Made by team ninja)

A 2D Metroid would be a good move both to gauge interest and build goodwill

The sad thing is, that actually doesn't sound too far fetched

A third person Metroid made by From Software

>Instead of souls you collect X parasites
Holy Shit

Given NIntendo wants to jump on the multiplayer games bandwagon they will hire Bungie to make a Prime Style Federation Force

Just make Super Metroid again.

name 3 indie metroidlike that are good
pro tip, you can't

Guacamelee, Ori and the blind forest, Dust: An Elysian Tail.

>ori
>dust
>good
Also Ori is more of a platformer than a metroidlike
dust have the shittiest backtracking ever
guacamelee was good

Metroid fans are impossible to please. If they did a traditional 2D Metroid they'd pick apart any minute detail about it, and if they did a 3D one they'd bitch it wasn't 2D.

This is why you will never get another proper game for a series that never sold well.

this

Oh fuck it's you again.

AM2R was very well received

You stopped replying last time I showed you the sales chart. Gonna make me do it again?

But they wouldnt. If they released prime 4 everyone would be shitting their pants in excitement. And if they released another 2d game people would be shitting their pants in excitement. I didnt hear any whining when corruption came out cause people love it, other m and fed force get shit in cause they break the formula completely.

Samus won't be on 5mash's roster

This. It gives us the space/environment advantage of the Primes while allowing more of the traditional 2D style movement.

3rd person 3D done properly is the best option.

>other m and fed force get shit in cause they break the formula completely.
Prime Hunters and Pinball broke the formula and they don't get hated.

Literally all you have to do is make a good Metroid game and it'll sell in the millions. It doesn't even need to be part of the established Metroid formula.

>it'll sell in the millions
Most Metroid games never broke half a million. The only games that got over 2 million were the very first game and the first Prime game.

a classic 2D Metroid by Retro strikes me as a no brainer.

>vgchartz

Also by your own incredibly flawed metric, all but two of them sold more than a million. Even the one everyone hated.

Because it wasn't made by Nintendo.

Not all the Metroid games are on that chart, just the top 11

>I need to pick apart a source out of desperation for no reason

You have shit taste user. I agree that there are very good metroidvanias out there, but I wouldn't have named those for various reasons.

>Teslagrad
>Environmental Station Alpha
>Valdis Story
>La-Mulana
>Shantae and the Pirate's curse
are all very good metroidvanias. Ori, is mostly a platformer though, and not a great metroidvania. Good looks, good music, but meh exploration wise and very safe gameplay wise,

An assassin's creed disclaimer at the start of the game, only instead it talking about dumb shit like "a gay guy worked on collision detection and reads the bible" we get a forced video apology from Sakomoto for Other M ever existing.

Plot wise I want it to follow from Fusion with Samus now branded a terrorist by the GF for destroying the station and the X they wanted as a weapon. Sylux would form a Starkiller like "no witnesses" temporary truce with the GF on the condition he gets to hunt Samus down with absolutely no interference and noone reigning him in for whatever collateral damage he does (so he ends up just killing entire GF ships worth of crew just to get at her without anyone bringing him up on it). One plot point would have Samus gathering evidence of this to blackmail the GF with.

There were only 11 of them at the time that article was written.

Unless you really want to count the Pinball spinoff. But at that point you might as well say Zelda games sell like shit because of Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland.

And it was judged as a Metroid game all the same and people loved it. If you genuinely believe people will hate everything just because it's Nintendo (and not because Nintendo's put out fuckall for good Metroid since Prime 3) then I really can't think of a way to change your mind

Either way Metroid sales are hardly the number fans think they are. The series is cited to be one of Nintendo's worse selling series.

>prime hunters
This was loved mostly for its multiplayer combat but more importantly it worked as a portable spinoff title, the difference between prime hunters and fed force is that hunters was released at a time when nintendo were actually putting out metroid games and wasnt just released to appease starving fans.
>pinball
You're fuckin baiting, its pinball

>Gets BTFO and backpedals like a motherfucker
Just piss off already.

lol

You can't BTFO anyone when you're still denying your series doesn't sell for shit comparatively for the majority of it

>>La-Mulana
Dude La-Mulana was a maze of galious clone, it have nothing to do with a metroidvania

>After the events of Fusion, samus begins to feel odd and uncomfortable
>While she is floating through space, her ships computer Adam gives some exposition
>Suddenly Samus' ship is hit from the back and she begins plummeting toward an unmarked and uncharted planet
>Samus wakes up to a totaled ship and Adam offline
>She exists the ship, and gameplay begins

I specifically think that this game should have the absolute greatest feeling of isolation. As such, none of the music should be as upbeat and mystifying as the Prime or maingames. Keep all the songs have a feeling of uneasiness. Also, this being an uncharted planet, I don't think there should be any signs of Chozo or even any traditional upgrades. The game should be genuinely unsettling or even terrifying.

Through the game it is realized (assumed by the player) that Samus is slowly beginning to mutate into a Metroid herself after she had ones DNA injected into her in Fusion. This should keep the gameplay fresh by giving Samus completely new abilities and powers. All the powerups would also need to be acquired through new means, since there are no Chozo artifacts. Despite it giving her new abilities, it should also be made apparent in her movement and mannerisms that she is in great pain. Maybe even have a part of the game slow her speed and jump down to limping, before she gets it back as a later powerup.

Maze of Galious is a metroidvania

There would be 2 major cutscenes in the game. One intro and one ending (the ending would have minor differences based on the clear time and percentage). Samus should talk in NEITHER of these and remain totally silent.

>the game ends with Samus on the brink of death. Mutating and having her body be completely destroyed my the Metroid DNA
>She sits herself up next to a rock and manages to remove her helmet despite it being fused to her body like the rest of her suit is (this only happens if you get the best ending)
>her face is all mangled and barely recognizable
>screen begins to fade to black as we cut to first person, samus' perspective
>Suddenly a bright light and the sounds of a ship landing near her
>Galactic Federation soldiers are seen approaching Samus
>The player gets hope that Samus is finally going to be saved and be okay
>"Samus Aran, you are under arrest for the destruction of the B.S.L Station and disclosing multiple government secrets. You have the right to remain silent.
>The last shot is Samus being dragged onto the ship. The camera pans and shows that the ship is a Galactic Federation medical ship
>cut to credits

what a high-content, informative post that contributed positively to the thread, and totally not a low-effort, no-content shitpost!

I'm fine with either. I just want a Metroid game where Samus either doesn't talk at all or is a badass.
Also give her a reason to not use her abilities at first.
Basically I just don't want Other M.

You know AM2R exists, right?

Oh wait, of course you don't. You're shitposting.

-2D 1080p game for the Switch
-Produced by Nintendo R&D1 and Vanillaware
-Produced by Makoto Kano - Directed by George Kamitani
-Follows directly after the events of Metroid Fusion
-Samus has cut all ties to the Federation and is now a freelance bounty hunter; game starts with you chasing down an humanoid bounty; after being captured, the humanoid bounty tells Samus about a rumor of Metroids being spotted on a fringe world outside Federation space
-Samus goes to the planet
-Discover Metroids
-Game consists of exploring the world eradicating Metroids like in Metroid II, with some sub bosses appearing like in Super Metroid
-No story outside of the opening bounty hunt scene, just pure free exploration like classic Metroid
-No dialogue or voice acting
-In the end, you learn that Space Pirates have revived the Metroids from trace amounts of Metroid DNA and Samus' DNA; hints that there may be more Metroids somewhere else
-Blow up the planet and escape

I want a prequel where you play as a Chozo warrior wielding extremely dangerous weaponry, culminating in their reason for vanishing.

>not made by Nintendo
>reskin of a pre-existing game
These are the two reasons why it was well received. Now, if Nintendo made it you'd be giving them shit for rehashing instead of making a new game

>shitposting
user it's called trolling on Sup Forums, please at least try to use the proper lingo if you want to fit in

pic related

Oh shit, we got a badass over here. He shows sales charts guys, don't make him do it again.

>cries last thread about shitposting and accusations of lying
>shuts up when BTFO
>comes back to try to be tough
lol

He's a known shitposter, user. His talking point is always that Metroid games sell like shit, even though his own sources show that they consistently do moderately well.
I get the feeling it's ACfag trying to try on a new guise desu. Unless Metroid is popular enough to have its own hatebase, which I doubt.

>reskin of a pre-existing game

Go and replay the original Metroid 2 and tell me with a straight face that it's actually good. Calling AM2R a reskin is selling the game hilariously short. It took the basic concept and rough map layout of Metroid 2 and expanded well beyond the original scope of the game

I'm a known shitposter for the one other time I mentioned sales and Metroid?

Holy hell, I'm either being mistaken for someone else or Metroid fans are this butthurt to remember a singular post.

And it'd still get called a rehash if Nintendo made it

>ll sell in the millions
Metroidfags are really delusional.
Only two of your backtrack simulators ever sold over 2m

And the reason it is like that isn't for the reasons Nintendo thinks.

People love the exploration and fighting strange creatures. But Japan has a hard on for the Alien franchise, while the west has largely moved on from it and only looks at it for Nostalgia.

Japan hates backtracking and getting lost, the West has this problem as well, but are at least more forgiving of it. Nintendo wants to make the series popular with both the East and West and can't because the reasons they are liked by both are at odds with each other.

So Nintendo has to decide, is this a franchise for the East or the West? Prime has showed that the west is more likely to buy Metroid if it is catered to them.

The series needs to move away from Aliens and extreme text and narrative dumps. Increase the amount of exploration, while minimizing the amount of backtracking to press forward with the game.

The last thing they can do to make the series appealing is to rethink combat. Other M had some kind of right idea with the flash and style, but it was largely repetitive and held back by simplistic controls, while enemies still felt too spongy, thus making Samus feel weak.

I hope they wait to unveil another Metroid until Nintendo is 3rd party.

lol again

Unfortunately this will never happen because according to Sakamoto the SA-X fixed Samus' DNA and got rid of her being part Metroid. Which means she is no longer immune to the effect of the X, but that of course doesn't matter because they are all dead.

A 3D, first person Metroid game.

Samus wouldn't be as stiff as she was in Prime; she could pull off acrobatic moves.

The point of the game is to explore a planet that was rid of organic life by a mysterious space laser.

Enemies come in the form of both "physical projections" archived by the natives which Samus can turn on and off, as well as invasive species that have populated the world after its cataclysmic event.

The overarching plot of the game plays out like a noir mystery with operatic motifs.

>Other M had some kind of right idea with the flash and style
Gross. I don't play Metroid games because I want a spectacle fighter.

How could I have cried last thread when I wasn't even in that thread? I'm just here to call you a bitch. lol.

I want another 2D Metroid like what SEGA is doing with Sonic Mania but reslistically, they'll most likely opt for a Prime-styled game to compete with the competitors' FPS games. I just hope it's not another online co-op more mature version of Splatoon like FF shit to milk their new online subscription service.

The smarter thing to do is going for a 2D Metroid in my opinion as BoTW is already a more open world exploration game. Metroidvanias do have a demand and wear their genre tag proudly. It'd be legendary for the franchise to comback with a real 2D game from the very inspiration of half of genre itself. If they develop it right, it'll go down as one of the most glorious comeback in vidya history and set a new standard for other Metroidvania games, indie or first party, in the future.

I honestly think the franchise is most likely dead by now, which is only further supoorted by Samus still not being in MK8 (Sm4sh, I theorize, is because she has been a staple character since the beginning so they can't really scrap her out) while the more active franchises' protagonists like Link, Villager, and the Squid Kids have been added to the game. I think that if they'll ever bring it back, they'll make it a FPS co-op game to have something to go against the competition.

It will never have mass market appeal otherwise and Nintendo will consider the series a commercial failure. The major complaint from normies is that the series feels archaic. You just jump and shoot. It's the same reason that Megaman ultimately started to fail. No one wants Jump and Shoot man.

>metroid fans are this insecure
Most annoying vocal minority fanbase to exist for sure

>And it'd still get called a rehash if Nintendo made it

Metroid isn't even close to being run into the ground like Nintendo's other properties. There hasn't been a new 2D entry since fucking 2004

Honestly, I say this as a Metroid fan, I hope they don't. I don't want to shell out 300 dollars for a console I'd use to play 1 game. And really, I don't think Sakamoto or anyone at modern Nintendo understands what fans loved about Metroid in the first place. Would probably end up as another hackjob filled with zero suit fanservice and anime dialogue.

Maybe if it were a 3DS game as hopefully Citra will be playable within two years. But even then I doubt it would be even as good as Fusion.

Who cares about mass market appeal? I'm satisfied with downloadable 2D titles. That's where all the Metroid clones are finding their success after all.
There's nothing wrong with niche, especially in an increasingly homogeneous industry.

How about you show that chart again? That'll really show all those Metroid fans.

Will Nintendo pull a SEGA and hire the AM2R guy to work on the next 2D Metroid Mania?

>-2D 1080p game for the Switch
>-No story outside of the opening bounty hunt scene, just pure free exploration like classic Metroid
>-No dialogue or voice acting

>There hasn't been a new 2D entry since fucking
This is why we needed Dread

Sega has literally nothing of their own, they only did that out of desperation after countless of bad Sonic games

Nintendo is still seen positively by a fair amount of people with most of their franchises, so they have no reason to do that

>Who cares about mass market appeal?
Nintendo. They don't want niche, they want multi million seller. Why bother with making a Metroid game that will barely break even when you can make the next Mario 3D whatever and have it sell ten times more.

Believe me, I would rather have it like you want it. Niche means idiot normies aren't complaining about getting lost and backtracking to the beginning of the game to get an item.

But as long as Nintendo holds the rights to this series, it is only going to continue to be reinvented in an attempt to sell as their other series do and as long as they continue to make new IP that sell well, they will wonder why their other series don't.

They would sooner just remake Metroid II themselves. I hope they do.

a 2D Metroid with refined classic gameplay and minimalistic story, that is almost not there but great detailed graphics and environments that tell a story just by how fucking great they look that make you never want to stop looking at it

can't be that hard for Nintendo can it? I mean look at like Ori and the blind Forest or something

3D adventure exploration with 2D segments.

Ori is more of a platformer. But if they have to steer it in that direction more to have better accessibility and sales then I wouldn't blame them honestly. I wish for a 2D or third person 3D Metroid if they ever think of seriously reviving the franchise again.

>2D
>Nintendrones would pay 60$ for 2D pixel shit

No because Nintendo is incapable of straying from their narrow sight on what they believe they should do for their games. I'm pretty sure they have no idea what's happening around them in other parts of the industry

I recall hearing about how a third-party dev was talking to Nintendo devs about online functionality with the Wii U, and they were told to reexplain because nobody knew what he was talking about when referencing features of PSN and XBL

Other M gameplay without the first person and with a lot more weapon variety and moves.
I know I'll be bashed for this but I'd like to see the story focus on a character other than Samus. I might be ok with it being a federation force, as long as he has an actual backstory and is alone while giving the setting a sense of exploration back.
Maybe have him be a newbie that gets stranded and has to learn to use all the tools and weapons from the suit on his own.

That picture gave me cancer.

We have regularly this thread.

bait.jpg.pdf

Please stop posting that image. 3/4 the games on it are not metroviania. They are just 2D Action/Platformers. Which 2D Action/Platformers are also good. But that image is confusing people even more.

So Metroid fans are so autistic they call everything a metroidvania

Holy fuck

Ori is literally the same genre as classic 2D Metroid

it's an action platformer with one huge interconnected map that you progessively open up by unlocking new abilities that allow you to reach previously unreachable areas

the difference is that Ori was made by a small team and looks amazing, while the last two Metroid games were completely out of touch with the fans and looked like ass

Hahahahahahaha oh you poor children, did you think modern Nintendo was going to just give you a game that you wanted in a series you love?

Here's your Metroid for Nintendo Switch:
>3rd person 3D
>aim using IR cameras in each controller
>shake right controller to roll
>shake left controller to switch weapon
>twist controller to use secondary firing
>feel icecubes to use icebeam
>spin right controller rapidly on its wrist strap to engage thrusters
>can only see first person through the tablet screen
>multiplayer available through paid online, no local

Metroidfags are the worst.

>What would you WANT to see?
Just a mainline metroid, other than that I'm not picky, could be 2D or prime.

Anti-Metroidfags are worse

I mean they just want any half-way decent Metroid game, hell Prime 3 strayed from the formula a bit and people were fine with that overall. It ain't that much to ask

This

The most whiny, demanding, and picky fanbase there is that only wants rehashes

Are you perhaps thinking of Zeldafags?

How about make a good game? Not some 3rd person shooter shit. An ACTUAL Metroid game.

Zeldafags actually like when they mix it up a little bit, like WW and MM

Zeldafags just hate new games on principle until a few years pass.

those don't sell well, so it won't happen.
Sorry