$649 for a Neo Geo in 1991

>$649 for a Neo Geo in 1991
What the fuck was their problem? Why was it so expensive? It makes the PS3's launch price look like pocket change.

Poorfag

One of my friends had one. The games were 80 to 100 dollars also.

>Hey, pay $300 for this banana! It's higher quality than a regular banana! You're not a poorfag, are you?

VERY EXPENSIVE DOUGLASS

>Why was it so expensive?
It was literally an arcade machine with arcade games in your home.

>lol wut r u, p00r?

Does that mean the NES should have been $700 because i could play fucking Donkey Kong on it?

There was an actual arcade machine (MVS) and a home console version (AES). I could probably understand the MVS being that price, but why the fuck was the AES that price too?

It's was an arcade cabinet in console form.
My friends brother got one from a pawn shop in the late 90s. We played spinmaster, metal slug and neo turf masters on it.

It was the most advanced gen 4 system by far. To the point that it could still handle ports of current arcade titles until 2004.

If you went out to buy parts to build two computers right now, and for one you bought the lowest spec shit you can possibly find to make a working PC, and for the other, you bought the best possible hardware, would you ask why the better PC cost 5 times more? It's a retarded question.

Donkey kong wasn't the actual arcade version. It had missing levels
,gimped graphics and sound. . The neo geo games were the actual arcade versions

It had Ps1 probably even DC level 2d Graphics which was impressive for the time.

It's a portable arcade machine. It wasn't competing with the other consoles.

The AES WAS the MVS tech in a home console. They were fully compatible and had equivalent specs.

It also came with a fight stick and used memory cards in fucking gen 4.

I know it makes people pissy, but the "poorfag" guy is actually pretty accurate in this one instance. It was a luxury item. If you couldn't afford/justify the price, then guess what, you're not who SNK made it for.

MVS cabinets and carts were actually way more expensive we're talking thousands of dollars.

Well it came out before I was born. I'm glad the prices on the AES have plummeted though. All I need is an AES and a flashcart, and I'm good to go.

No, the NES wasn't an arcade machine. It was much weaker.
Coz the hardware is identical
MVS carts cost a fraction of the amount of AES carts.

It was literally the arcade hardware in a console. No other console could possibly compete with it at its time and even for a long time after it. We didn't really get arcade perfect ports until the mid 2000s.

>MVS carts cost a fraction of the amount of AES carts.

I meant original prices when they were first released not the current market.

too powerful for the average consumer

Why don't people like the idea of 'premium" consoles? People spends hundred and thousands of dollars on PC parts yet a console that costs more than $400 doesn't sell.

PC is universal you fucking faggot cuck, console isn't
also playing with a controller is fucking awful

It's a console fit for a king.

If I recall right it was so expensive because it was literally their arcade hardware in a home console. I also seem to recall it could play the same cartridges as the arcade.

I mean if you wanted the arcade experience at home it was perfect.

It's the exact same hardware although it's a different cartridge slot. You need an unofficial adapter to play the arcade cartridges.

I broke your grill.