What are some games with actual good pixel art?

What are some games with actual good pixel art?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=97vYf9t3GU8
kickstarter.com/projects/lanzegames/pixel-princess-blitz-sandbox-roguelike-action-rpg/
kickstarter.com/projects/laughingmachines/undungeon-pixelart-action-rpg-with-roguelike-eleme
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Metal Slug

fpbp

No indie game, thats for sure. Leave good pixel art to the professionals.

Install an emulator on a 27 display and play SoTN.
Seriously, it's funny.

Pre 2000 Konami and SNK games.

wait is this suikoden 2?

every metal slug

Undertale

Yes, its Suikoden II.

witcher 3

The background isnt pixel art its just low res

Hotline Miami 1 and 2
It's not beautiful but for what it is it's surprisingly evocative

Pixel art is low res 2d raster images.

Hotline Miami is a disgrace to graphics and should go to hell.

no, actual pixel art is created in pixel form, often 'pixe-by-pixel' by the artist.

Shantae

Thats pretty bad, user. Leave posts to those with taste, please

Iconoclasts looks pretty comfy but I'm wary of indie pixel games after Owlboy. They can look good and be absolutely terrible

Actual pixel art was created by scanning in hand drawn images and touching them up. Btw, everything is pixel art.

There's still tons of terrible games like it with worse graphics. It just means some terrible games have good graphics, but a lot of games have terrible graphics and terrible gameplay.

Of the few games Konjak has made and released I have been satisfied with them. I trust him.

Sweet now that we have entered the intentionally-ignorant stage of the thread, we can start arguing amount the literal definitions of words vs their actual meanings in conversation.

Fuck off.
In addition to your piles of Patreon cash you got 2.500.000 Norwegian kroners to make your little platformer, and you haven't made progress in years. Fuck you, and stop posting your unrelated drawings any day.

This is incorrect

This thread started with "good" and "pixel art." It was ignorant to begin with.

how long has he been making this fucking game

>Owlboy
that game never looked good from a gameplay standpoint.

and iconoclast dev has older games + demo, so the gameplay is already looking good

Not on a CRT funnily enough. It wasn't really pixel art - it was electron beam or glowing phosphorous art.

retard

That is literally how Metal Slug was made. Everything was hand drawn.

Legend of Mana was shit though.

I always said crowdfunding is the worst evil to plague the industry since hollywood.

Kyle putting his finger in cartmans ass?

obligatory metal slug comment

In case of crts, yes, but functionally from computer to TV, it was pixels in game code. Technicalities, however.

>No indie game
Shovel Knight

HLD

The only truly impressive pieces of pixel art in Shovel Knight are *some* of the backgrounds. The campfire comes to mind.

Shovel Knight himself and most of the sprites are your usual intentionally ugly "minimalist" pixel art. The game is great but let's not kid ourselves.

>Shovel Knight
that game looks like generic ass

The only good part of the HLD is the coloring. Everything else is meh to shit.

only professional games please with actual good art

shovel knight fucking sucks in all aspects and its retarded that its somehow the face of indie games

This faggot got the 2.500.000 kroners from the Norwegian government, though.
Through two rounds of funding, without obligations.

The Witcher 3 would be a good candidate.

>minimalist
>has details and shading and animations
i dunno what you think minimalist means

we get it dude, Way Foward has anime girls with butts and sells their mediocre games based on this principle.

this

I don't know what happened to standards. Is there a psychological reason why people have regressed? Is it because of the art community invading our journalists and consumerbase?

It's probably just me looking for it, but I feel like I can just see the tip of her panties there.

>how do you like your pixel art?

fpbp

Shinobi III

How much fucking coke did they do to fucking greenlight this shit

Demons crest, to this day, is one of my personal favorite games of all time

>console on the floor

I don't get why japs do this

>no surfboarding ninjas
what a shame

Mite b

Stardew Valley has great pixel art.

source?

Is Iconoclasts finally coming out or something?

>the bulge

source?

Don't kid yourself.

Shinobi 3 was cozy

Now that I see her close up that's actually really sexism. No girl could have a waist that thin with hips that wide and breasts that big. Not to mention her nips are almost flopping out. Hate to be that guy, but I'm actually offended.

Mighty switch force.

Shovel knight wasn't "bad" in my opinion.

It was an "okay" game that had a bit of challenge and depth to it, but compared to a lot of other stuff released around the same time under bigger studios, it's not hard to see why it'd garnished so much attention.

falseflagging faggots go away

I was always of the opinion games like SK were a product of low competition and extreme hype and luck to boot. We come from a history of great 2d platformers and 2d action games, then suddenly, it's like I woke up in 1989.

While the pixel art isn't impressive the game still is consistently good, it deserves the praise it gets in the sea of shitty 2deep4you puzzle platformers that is the indie market

>I don't like idealistic big breast women
>implying that's somehow "false fagging"

Owlboy (game is pretty meh overall though)
Mother series
Super Metroid (AM2R is gross)
Megaman Battle Networks
Nidhogg 1 (Nidhogg 2 is gross)
Risk of Rain

i love sopping wet bouncing tits

I've played a lot of video games over my lifetime. Shovel Knight isn't that good. I played it at my friends, and it's the same ole. I've played games with better gameplay and definitely better graphics. You have to realize that by being in the 2D action platformer genre, it has to compete with all the greats of its kind. It just doesn't have the polish both graphically and gameplay wise to live up to the legends and a game with a professional team.

Agreed. It's the living proof that a good palette can make wonders.

I think it was great, dat attention to detail

youtube.com/watch?v=97vYf9t3GU8

>risk of rain
>nidhogg

I was afraid of indie games penetrating this thread. Standards have fallen.

The main campaign is just a solid game, but Plague Knight is definitely one of the most fun to control platformer characters I've ever played as.

>getting offended by pixels on a screen
I'm offended that you would get offended.

When did MSF2 get a PC port?

ALso it's great to finally see these animations at a not tiny and shitty res.

Oh fuck no. How can people think this looks good? It's literally FF5 tier graphics with a filter over it!

no 'pixel' game looks nice. it should have been left in the past where it belongs

Hyper Light Drifter doesn't have excellent spritework as most of it's very flat, but their choice of coloring and tone is very, very good.

Completely unrelated, but some of Starbound's art is great (like certain trees and background art) and some of it is total trash. It's like they had multiple artists and all the good ones quit after making some assets.

it's a cartoon you retard

fpbp

Back to your containment site.

I stopped enjoying Stardew after one user pointed out how fucked up the perspective was and I couldn't stop seeing it everywhere

Pixel Princess Blitz: kickstarter.com/projects/lanzegames/pixel-princess-blitz-sandbox-roguelike-action-rpg/

UnDungeon: kickstarter.com/projects/laughingmachines/undungeon-pixelart-action-rpg-with-roguelike-eleme

It's actually fun to realize that at one time people had to take in account the effect of CRT scanlines on their pixel art.

Plenty of really old games look like absolute shit without artificial scanlines, interestingly.

this. just people holding onto old adages

Delete your account.

>Mother series
The first two definately don't hold up in terms of graphics, which is what this thread is about. At the time the styles and themes from Mother were unique because they didnt follow the fantasy stories that were normal of RPGs like DQ and FF. So it got a lot of fanfare for being different and not taking itself seriously. But you can't compare Mother to Metal Slug in terms of quality. Shouldn't even be in this conversation.

If you can say Mother is actual good pixel art, then you should say the same thing about undertale which is plain wrong.