Escape from Butcher Bay Developer's Cut

For how old this game is, it should not look this good. Especially when it's being ran at a resolution that is considerably higher than what was often considered extreme at the time of it's release.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r7PUD3Ag-QQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's even crazier about how good these screens look is the fact that the XBox 360 theoretically has enough power to at least render these at 1920x1080 while still maintaining 60fps as it's already almost possible to do it on Pentium 4 HT based systems with a Geforce 7600 in them. Goes to show how lazy modern developers are.

Even the most inconsequential details have been accounted for. Highly detailed insect life such as this was a major reason to push for HD resolutions back in in 2004.

vin diesel loves his vidya, and he was involved with development

More bug life
and it very much shows. The game has held up very well. The gameplay aspect has actually held tremendously more than it has graphically which is saying something. Too bad the version bundled with Dark Athena had some short comings (AI problems, Dark Athena soundtrack bleeding into game, ridiculous executions, nerfed the pit level, muted color palette).

Decals done right

damnit, now I have to replay this.

I agree. Although I'm more certain it's shitty publisher controls in place, because when given the time games come out much better. Case and point, Sega gave Creative Assembly more time to develop Alien: Isolation because of all the flack regarding Alien Colonial Marines. And that turned out to be one of the best modern PC ports, if not the best, I've ever seen. I'm no graphics whore but the fact that Alien Isolation looks as good as it does and can almost run 60FPS on a 1GB Vram card from 2009 is hella impressive.

Yeah, some devs suck at their job, but I have a good reason to believe that at least half of them are subject to shitty work conditions that hurt problem solving and creativity as well as heavy time constraints. That's never a good combination. And almost every shitty PC port that comes out, we inevitably hear that the developer was either rushed or we just know they were based on when development started and when the release date hit.

>Same devs

Post sexy working mirrors.

Am I the only one who thinks the Pitch Black setting is pretty fucking good?

Shit engine. StarBreeze's engine only had one major issue in the graphics department (seams can be seen on models occasionally, especially at low res) whereas all of idtech 5's development went in the wrong direction entirely. I'm honestly surprised the New Order looked like it did, it could've been a lot worse.

Riddick a best

>muted color palette
I kind of agree with this one. I like the lighting engine changes from Dark Athena, but I actually quite liked the lighting and color better (I discovered) after replaying the original on PC again last year.

> nerfed the pit level
I know it technically makes it worse that they dumbed it down a bit but I didn't really find the pit level all that difficult in the Original Xbox version. I'm not that upset about it though. Removing difficulty isn't inherently bad in every game. The game itself is moderately difficult, especially on Hard. If it made it more bearable for some other players then hey, whatever man. It's really just tedious running and blowing away whatever moves in front of you anyways. We didn't lose anything interesting there.

Bugs are not inconsequential though. You collect moths so they can be processed into some kind of a drug.

Interestingly the XBox version looked pretty much like the PC version provided you were sitting on a couch and playing it on a TV common at the time of it's release. It ran at 640x480 progressive scan (rare at the time for a console game) and only had slight scale backs on draw distance and anti-aliasing. Hell pop up was virtually non-existent.

I think scales below 480 dynamically. Still, I don't remember frame rate drops.

Has there ever been any write ups or in depth interviews about this game? It's such a wonderful anomaly in so many ways

Not much was lost in the Pit as it wasn't the most memorable part of the game, but the little bit that it had going for it (which was stressing the player with a time crunch) was lost when they had the broken crank removed. The muted color palette I didn't immediately notice until I replayed Butcher Bay on XBox and then again on PC and I imagine you can use Reshade to get around it. To me what made the new version annoying was that Dark Athena's AI was cheap, it's as if they can see through seams in objects (much like you can in the PS3 version lol) and that's it's soundtrack bled into the game (and sounded out of place). Overall graphically it was better though if you turned off post processing and the muted color palette looked beautiful in Dark Athena itself (just not in Butcher Bay). Blood was a lot more realistic in the original Butcher Bay releases and the decals didn't randomly turn off either.

>avatarfag.

youtube.com/watch?v=r7PUD3Ag-QQ

rude but thanks

it is because games didnt changed that much since Riddick / Far Cry / HL2 / Crysis, user

the main advantage of modern games is the fact that now they can generate this level of detail on much larger and complex enviroments

Post more ryoko baka.

lol and often times don't.

The perfect example of bump/normal mapping done right.

Game looked so incredible for its time. It's a shame it didn't get the recognition it deserved. I only rented it back in the day for Xbox. But thoroughly enjoyed it.

It didn't sell horrible though. The game was a Platinum hit on the XBox huge, sold a decent amount of copies on PC if I'm correct (and did it during a generation where PC gaming was regressing). It's sequal didn't do near as good (thanks to negative reviews of the PC version for having TAGES), but wasn't a a financial bust either (hell Vin Diesel did say a third game is in development). I think as time goes on, more and more people will talk about it.

While we're talking XBox Huge, one thing I noticed in that version is when you reload, the rounds in whatever magazine you swapped out get lost. I haven't seen that in any other version of the game. I also liked that there was only one mech sequence in that version of the game simply because it had a larger impact on the player. In all the other releases they added a section in the middle of the game where you take control of a right guard and shoot up a bunch of guards and robots. It was fun, I feel it added something (and they did bring it in during a part of the game where a firefight felt right), but I think it should have been an extra on the side as opposed to part of the campaign because not having it in made that heavy guard sequence at the end of the game feel so much more bad ass.