>only launch with ports and sports games
>nogaems until gta 3 the next fall

It's okay when Sony does it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MixhcWSrrAw
my.mixtape.moe/cpsaxl.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>dvd gimmick
It's was more a feature than gimmick. Was a multi media player before a video game console.

Rest of your points are autism.

Nice bait, fag.

spot the underage

>DVD gimmick
Nintendo fans confuse "features" with "gimmicks" because they still don't understand the difference

>gimped online
Nintendo fans call other consoles with online gimped when Nintendo wasn't doing online until a generation after Sony and Microsoft and their online has always been and will be under Switch worse (1 free NES/SNES game a month... that you do not get to keep under any circumstances... Thanks Nintendo!)
>Cheap plastic overpriced peripherals
1 Joycon: $50
2 Joycons: $80
1 pro controller: $70
>Embarassingly weak hardware
Breath of the Wild: 900p, 30 FPS
>Only launch with ports and sports game
Weak launch lineup on Switch
>Nogames until GTA 3 the next fall
Wii-U: No games forever
It's almost like you made this post just so I could respond to it.

OP is bait but I remember buying this thing exclusively for the DVD player - shit blew my mind. Back then even some DVDs had 'compatible with Playstation 2" printed on their spines...

'Evolution' and 'Jumanji' come to mind.

PS2 was the Wii of gen 6.

Worst hardware, but an absolute fuckton of shovelware and appeal to normalfags (via being a DVD player as opposed to wagglan).

>Sup Forums so ceaselessly desperate and thirsty for yet more hardware discussion it'll bring up a console that hasn't seen anything developed for it in well over a decade cause it's that old now just to greentext the shit out of it.

Leave old consoles alone, don't bring them into your bullshit too.

The Bouncer was a great launch title.

>tfw to this very fucking day I don't have any way of watching Blu Ray discs.

The launch "killer app" for ps2 was pretty much FFIX. That or SSX, DOA or firework simulator 2001

youtube.com/watch?v=MixhcWSrrAw

PS2 thread

Share some gems guise

It's okay when sony does it!

I never got the chance to play that game, but it always tempted me. How was it when compared to an average square game of the time?

But the PS2 had games developed for it well into the 2010s

>sold over 155 million units in its 13 year lifespan
Yeah, I guess I'd qualify that as okay.

>cheap [..] peripherals
My original controllers work till this day, for about 14 years now.

>Nintendo fans confuse "features" with "gimmicks" because they still don't understand the difference
It's a "feature" when Sony does it

>>nogaems until gta 3 the next fall

lol ur shit op

ps2 has god hand

faggot

>excessive hardware replacement units sold
>not discontinuing hardware production by the end of the generation like Nintendo does

>Weak launch lineup on the Switch
Thats your opinion man, Zelda and Bomberman look dope, we got some good portsthat many people didnt play following suit, followed by virtual console releases, Arms as a new IP, splatoon and Odyssey with a spread thats sprinkled with some other good looking titles. I can understand that the current line up doesnt meet your taste..but thats not weak thats just your taste .

>embarrassingly weak hardware

I just stopped reading after that, fuck off

>not discontinuing hardware production by the end of the generation like Nintendo does
Nintendo does that because nobody fucking buys their consoles by the end of the generation. Or, like with the Wii U, in the middle of a generation. Why stop making things that sell?

>DVD gimmick

>It's okay when Sony does it

It is when it has the best library in existence.

Nigga people here don't even leave SNES alone. Sega's been dead for over 15 years and we've got people living like it's 1990.

Yeah I guess they should make their hardware fail over normal use by design.

Fool are you too young to remember how expensive DVD players were back in the day

And this one could play video games too

It's all for the FIFA fags in Central/South America and Europoor who are too poor to buy next gen.
>FIFA 15

The hardware wasn't very weak comparable to the competition that was released just a year later. Actually, the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era was the last time we saw ports mostly come to all 3 systems due to near parity. That was the last time Nintendo actually had any semblance of third party support.

The DVD support wasn't a gimmick as it allowed game developers to work with a higher capacity of space for games. The plastic was cheap and a bit hollow but that didn't really matter unless you decided to take a hammer to it.

Some noteworthy games for launch were: >Dead or Alive 2
>Dynasty Warriors 2
>Ridge Racer V
>Smuggler's Run
>SSX
>Tekken Tag Tournament
>Timesplitters
>Unreal Tournament

And for just GTA3 being the only redeeming game a year later, here is what was released in Fall 2001 for PS2. Oh, and controllers were $50 and memory cards were $20 and those were the only peripherals you really needed to purchase for the system.

It's a complete far cry from Switch's immensely underpowered hardware compared to Sony and Microsoft, only one interesting launch game (Zelda) and insanely overpriced peripherals.

>b-but Nintendo
Pottery

At least it had more powerful hardware than the Dreamcast, unlike the Switch with weaker hardware than its 4 year old competitors.

When will we get a launch with as much awesome shit that close again? Nearly all those games are great if not the best in their series. Honestly what would developers need to do in order to get back to this?
I feel like they keep trying to release consoles to stay ahead to the point where everyone is left behind. I mean fuck the WIIU was only supported for what 5ish years? And nothing was really made for it. No rpgs of note (XCX sucked dick compared to XC lets not kid ourselves) Surprisingly Decent fighting games but very few. No pokemon stadium type game, hardly any good shit period. Bayo 2 Wonderful 101 are hit and miss but I thought they were fun.

Nigga, Zone of the Enders was a launch game and that's not a port or sports. Gas yourself

>MGS2
>exclusive
LOL
*also on PC
Everytime

Is this still the best holiday lineup of all time?

Also adding to this. Its not like ps4 or XBONE are any better. But they have SOME variety.

The PC port of Substance wasn't released until 2003, but nice try.

>FFX
>SH2
>best in the series

It was a timed exclusive. The hype for MGS2 and Final Fantasy X at that time was off the charts and the main reason PS2 dominated the newly-launched Gamecube and Xbox that holiday season.

Notice how I said great IF NOT THE BEST IN THE SERIES. This means they dont have to be but could COULD be considered.

It's true that PS2 had a weak game lineup at first but then it got a steady stream of some of the best games ever made.

>dvd gimmick

Did you want them to stick 8 GB games on CD-Roms?

And? Fucking Sonynggers.
Timed exclusives are a joke desu senpai
I always love those "PS2 EXCLUSIVE" *Also Coming to PC in a year because they paid us too

>let me be vague as shit while making bold ass claims so I can fall back on "well I didn't mean that one"
I'm on to you nigger.

It literally looks exactly almost identical to a brick now.

>BOLD CLAIMS
I just stated a game is good and could be considered the best in their series.
(YOU) chose those two games to throw a fit about.

It was a cheap way to get a dvd player back then and retailers weren't shy about pushing that feature.

It's partially why it sold so well.

>best in their series.
Ya that's not a bold claim.

THE BOUNCER
DAURAGON C. MIKADO

If you've ever played Urban Reign or Beatdown: Fists of Vengeance, it's kinda like a very early foray into that style. However, it has pressure-sensitive controls (the PS2 buttons are analog), which can get quite annoying. Also, if you don't save and die, game over.

The other two games I remember that had pressure-sensitive controls were Metal Gear Solid 2 (for the guns) and Metal Gear Solid 3. In MGS3, you used O both to interrogate and... to kill the enemy, which made many people mad.

>Fall and holiday 2001 exclusive software titles
>Exclusive until 2003
Still seems accurate to me.

>shitting on the PS2 just because some anons bullied your Nintendo Shitch

Sad!

That it could be considered that yes. You dont have to see it that way and I respect that. Which is why I put the (could) there.

You "could" be a retard. I'm not saying that. Just that you "could" be.

Its funny though, i say this because the PS2 lived on exclusives (*also coming to PC) just like the PS4 lmao, I mean except bloodborne TM

>dvd gimmick
It's called "feature"
>gimped online
in the early 2000's...
>cheap plastic overpriced peripherals
that you don't need to get, like ever.
>embarrassingly weak hardware
It still was at the generation's level.
>only launch with ports and sports games
Midnight Club Street Racing
Dead or Alive 2
SSX
TimeSplitters
Tekken Tag Tournament
>nogaems until gta 3 the next fall
nope

You wouldn't be able to tell one way or the other so yeah you are right. I think you get it now.

It's funny that you mention the PC port of MGS2, because I was just playing that. You need to hex edit the main executable, or the game won't run in anything above Windows 98.
Also, the PC port of MGS1 used music from some fan site, and there's a lot of themes missing.

Has there been a single console that launched with like 30 original titles or whatever it is you guys expect?

Tons of games don't get made until investors know there's already an install base to sell to.

This

Most consoles launch with 7 to 15 titles. I don't remember any launch with 30 or above.

Well what do you expect though dog? It was Jap before they knew PC gaming was a thing, but still they didnt do a bad job all of the way you know
Its like me trying to run my Mafia 1 CD and thinking its gonna work on windows 8.1 or Halo CE without bungies fix

Sure you believe Switch will have games like PS2 had back in the day

Sure some 15 yo kid will play a game like MGS2 or 3 and be in complete awe

I believe you user, Switch will be the second coming of video games

>gimped online

Online was a gimmick back then

Wii U: 34 titles
Playstation 2: 27 titles
Playstation 3: 25 titles (EUROPEAN launch, not US)
Playstation 4: 25 titles
Wii: 21 titles
Dreamcast: 19 titles
NES: 18 titles

The MGS2 fix is the weirdest shit ever. You just need to search for the strings "RADEON" and "NVIDIA" and overwrite them with anything. I mean, the game uses some ancient voodoo form to look if you have an Nvidia or ATI card, but that shit was discontinued by both of them back in 2004 or something.

Fucking VooDoo man what ever happened to them?

Some of the best games in the history of vidya are on this fucking blue wall, it's actually unbelievable how many amazing games were coming just like that. PS2 was on fire and is easily the best console of all time.

Nvidia bought their intellectual property.

Who was the Jannety?

>Dark Aliance aside

>leave Sup Forums for a while
>come back to browse Sup Forums again in the past year or so

One of the first threads I saw turned into people shitting on the Dreamcast. The fucking Dreamcast. I remember some user pulling shit out of his ass trying to say it didn't come with a dial-up modem. It took multiple anons posting photographic evidence proving him wrong before he just admitted he was retarded.

I'm convinced most anons now are bitter, ignorant assholes that grew up on the sixth or seventh gen.

Man Nvidia despite being the best is the worst sometimes

>Honestly what would developers need to do in order to get back to this?
Less powerful hardware and better development technology/environment/support/techniques for less development cost and time for less potential financial losses and faster roll out and creative risks.

yall niggers don't even know how good the ps2 was

my.mixtape.moe/cpsaxl.txt