Witcher 1

Just about to play this for the first time, what should I expect?

Is it good?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bxy1ZuMV2KEgfkRIcGZ3RkFRTmZSNkpVcEhfeEw3d1drV0pXU3l3dklhWjNMajBaeTFnWnM
imgur.com/a/Ystj3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

everything is shit.

combat is shit
movement is abysmal
performance is horrible for such an old game

story is great
atmosphere is goat

meh

Yep

Well im pretty sure that sword is for monsters

Skip it and play 2 instead.

1 is a boring slog but contrarians will tell you otherwise.

Yes. Combat takes some getting used to, though. It's not shit, though. People saying that probably played like 30 games and never played something that is actually shit.

Get the combat rebalanced patch to make the shitty fighting system marginally less shit. Expect good music, atmosphere, characters and story. Enjoy the swamp.

>implying I don't like all three games

TW1 is an acquired taste, but I still liked it.

>he likes witcher 2

One of the best RPGs out there, atmosphere, quests, story, character progression and soundtrack are all done brilliantly. Combat is not great but is still fun.

Well worth a full play through, think it is like what, 80 hours long? Amazing that a dev would do something that in depth for their first IP.

IMO 3

Shit taste you scrub.

combat is shit
It's not great but certainly not shit

>movement is shit
Nothing wrong with the movement at all, explain please

>performance is horrible
You have a shit computer you mean? Nothing about performance issues in the reviews, I have done 2 play throughs and only 1 crash

Poorfag.

Everything is great

Combat is great
Movement is great
Performance is amazing for such an old game

See I can write retarded shit with no substance at all also.

Pretty good game desu senpai tomogotchi

>what should I expect?

a lot more shitposting. you should have played the game yourself instead of coming here to poison your mind with memes and reaction images.

not him, but my toaster actually ran W2 just as well as it ran this game. I was surprised I could actually run W2 when the first game looked and ran like shit on my bad rig.

it's fantastic. Don't skip it like some idiots are saying.

Once you get past the meh combat (combat is meh in most games, action bitch fucking swine dark souls sucks), you'll experience a great game with the best atmosphere out of all three Witcher games

1 is better than the others IMHO

I played 2,1,3 in that order. Witcher one is good if you really want more of the world.

Shit combat (and I mean REALLY shit)
Fetch quests
Garbage plot

Good atmosphere
Decent quest in the end of the game
Tons of references to the saga (so it works if you read it first)

he's right though, you stick around for the story and the atmosphere, not for the rest which is in fact kind of shit.

It's generally an alright game. It's middling on nearly all fronts.

Combat is boring, but serviceable. graphics are good if you take into account the engine it was running on, except the potato faces.

The story was quite good, an in some rights better than the second.

I played it and beat it, wouldn't play it again. I would recommend just reading a summary of the story and trying 2. I loathed 2's combat and could only beat it heavily modded.

Now TW1 related but
I'm trying to play TW2 but it's not really getting me hooked.
Am I doing something wrong?

Combat is fucking garbage

Just started it relatively blind for the first time. Never touched 2 or 3, played the original KotOR games as a kid, and this reminds me strongly of them.
Loving it so far.

Combat is awkward, but it has the charming awkwardness of KotOR. Warmed up to it after a few hours. It takes a while to realize the combat is basically decided by what you do BEFORE fighting.
>how you've picked your levels
>whether you know the monster's weaknesses with their bestiary entry
>what buffs/infusions your sword has
>what potions you drank

I also got The Last Wish and am reading it along with the game. HIGHLY recommend doing so. It's a collection of short stories about Geralt that flesh out his character, and give context to people and events referenced in the game.

It also tells the full story of the Striga battle in the intro cutscene, which is a shot-for-shot remake of the battle in the books.

Oh, and here's a link to a DL for the .epub versions of the books. That's how I'm reading them.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bxy1ZuMV2KEgfkRIcGZ3RkFRTmZSNkpVcEhfeEw3d1drV0pXU3l3dklhWjNMajBaeTFnWnM

It's literally the best game I've ever played.

Read this before playing:
imgur.com/a/Ystj3

Use the alternative movement reponse. It's in the gameplay options.

Turn off hairworks unless you have an 1080 or something.

First options to turn down if you want more fps: Foliage and shadow

Also, you have to play the expansions.

Awful combat, imo good voice acting. Some good politically incorrect dialogue/script. Story is good and the atmosphere is well done. Graphics are OK.

The combat is good, dont listen to the retards that call it terrible.

absolutely great game, loved it. combat isn't as bad as everyone says, I didn't mind it desu.

a good game.

i enjoyed the clicking combat. it can be tough to get through, but it was worth it imo. I only played it once, took about 30 hours

lol 2 is the worst one

my negor

he said witcher 1, user.

oh god I'm retarded

>performance

isn't it locked to 60fps?

I thought u were saying w3. Yeah, the combat is dogshit. Just play on the easiest difficulty, max out the splash attack and play for the story/characters/dialogues.

this

I liked TW1's combat infinitely more than TW3's

Funnily enough most of that guide is still useful for beginners to witcher 1 too, except the gwent stuff.

All that background info is still just as relevant for witcher 1.

>what should I expect?
The best and only GOOD game in the series.
Unless you're a literal Xbot addicted to AssCreed and DaS, in which case you will probably hate it for being "too PC game" and "too RPG-y".

the sequels consolized and butchered the whole IP, hard. Even worse than TES series between Morrowind and Skyrim.

>ITT: Consolikids bitching and whining about the only Witcher game they can't have
>claiming it has "bad combat" like whining casuals they are, who've never held a mouse in their hands either.
>totally ignoring all the other magnificent ROLE-playing gameplay feats, the actual meat and bone of the game

jesus, pretentious piece of shit. Kill yourself please.

he pops up in every thread about TW1.