Is Sup Forums hyped for Strafe?

Is Sup Forums hyped for Strafe?
Will it be the new Binding of Issac/Doom?

youtube.com/watch?v=BtDqusEp4uA

I do hope it's good, however so far no Roguelite FPS has had the replayability of Isaac's procedural generation or Doom's vast selection of mods, so I don't have the highest of hopes.

Have you tried Heavy Bullets? It's pretty good and has a nice variety of items.

I haven't, will have to give it a shot sometime, heard a few good things about it.

>Randomize this, randomize that
Why do these idiots keep doing this? The first thing they say is that its a himage to doom/quake and then talk about how shit is randomized.

Doom and quake's arguably strongest point was the attention to level design and shit.
And these fucks just randomize bullshit.

At the very least they could get someone who understands doom to make a homage to it

I'm excited, granted though that's partially because my processor is ass.

Because they're specifically trying to make a Roguelite FPS.
If you want a FPS that isn't randomized, check out "DUSK".

>developers have "pixel" in the name
>throwback retro
I have my doubts.
>Roguelite FPS
I didn't even know this was a thing. Could be good, I guess. I guess we'll just wait and see.

I sure hope not, BoI is a piece of garbage

Why do "indie" developers always try to make their games look like shit on purpose?

Doom was great because of the skillful level design, everything else being secondary in importance.
This game is literally the inverse of that and will be an utter failure.

Checked out DUSK

>QUAKE in fear
> meet your DOOM

Gave me a good chuckle.

I'm sold.

Devil Daggers seems to channel the old fps better.

Because no one can be assed to learn good level design nowadays, besides it's easy marketing to say RANDOMLY GENERATED ACTION ROGUELIKE :) and you get easy fucking money.

It's disgusting

>1999 graphics
>uninspired concept
>"roguelite FPS"

Looks like dogshit. Wouldn't play even if it was free.

Yeah, but the only objective is to survive for longer than others, and the only level is a platform that you can fall off of. I'm looking for something that I can play even after I get the 1 achievement.

>start watching video
>wow this looks pretty interesting it could be good
>"so we got these hot ass jams that you can bump to"

Dropped.

>roguelike
Into the trash it goes

>procedurally generated levels

Dropped.

It's fun and has a great aesthetic but they forgot to actually build a real game around it.

if it had level episodes like Quake it would be fucking 10/10

>be branded as an HERETIC
cheecky cunnts

>Hurr durr it's a roguelike DROPPED ECKS DEEEE

When will this shit end?

Autism will never die. Either avoid it, or deal with it.
It's hard, I know.

played the alpha it was a lot of fun it was missing upgrades I'm pretty excited

>procedurally generated

Cancer

>lel I'll just write a script to make the game for me XD

Nah it doesn't look that good lots of gimmicks rather than solid gameplay gibhard looks way better
Ziggurat is pretty good

I'm cautious about this game because it's randomly generated. But I am pretty fucking hype for Dusk which had actual level design.

>making a game doesn't count as making a game anymore
It's just easier for a small team to work with low poly and proc gen, to push out a product.

I'm almost positive it's going to be shit because no randomized/procedurally generated FPS has ever been good. At best you get something like Nosferatu which is an interesting oddity but not something you really want to sit down and play.

The randomly generated Doom levels however are actually pretty good. If the basic gunplay is done well it could absolutely work, but the problem is both trying to balance good random level generation with shitty hipster "We're totally a 90s FPS guys believe us there are pixels and everything" shit tier gameplay inclination.

>calls something cancer
>while posting a filthy frank screencap with a Facebook meme from 2015

Lol underaged people are so funny

It's a technological hurdle everyone has tried to overcome, how to make each run through an fps unique. We've made some pushes, with unique AI.

>Implying level design is all there is to making a game

It's supposed to be about speed and replayability. You're supposed to be shooting at endless monsters in endless corridors until you die, not admiring the thought out level design.

I was planning on backing it when it was on Kickstarter, but forgot. Really do hope it ends up good, seemed neat

>Indie game has shitty graphics on purpose

Sick of this meme.

its repetitive and boring
>It's just easier
it looks like shit
>for a small team to work with low poly and proc gen
its not creative or original in design
>to push out a product.

sounds about right.

This game still exists? I just assumed it was dead.

>Implying programming a game to procedurally generate interesting and varied content is easy

The concept of procedural generation doesn't make something good or bad, it's the actual implementation of the concept that makes it good or bad

Into the fucking trash it goes.

No, it's fucking retro indie shit.

>Retro indie shit

So explain to me the issues with the game without Sup Forums's non-explaining buzzwords

Heavy Bullets is alright BUT THOSE FUCKING FLYING TURRETS EXIST TO PISS YOU THE FUCK OFF.

Receiver is also pretty good, you just have to get out of the mindset that you should save ammo when a flying turret notices you and fire away.

Noticing a common theme here.

The problem isn't with procedural generation itself but rather how its implemented. It worked in minecraft because you have to look for resources and you can find some cool looking shit sometimes. It worked in Rogue because level design wasn't exactly required for a game with extremely limited movement. It worked in Spelunky because it was really generated in chunks, so each stage still had similar elements but it was different enough that sometimes you'd need a different strategy, but each piece (shrine, shop, chest, statue) worked with each other to form puzzles.
In Strafe, You're doing the same thing, just in a different-sized room or corridor. Any platforming is probably going to end up basic, and the secrets are just gonna be hidden doors or some shit. In Quake, level design was half the game. Each map was a puzzle that you had to learn, secrets were unique and you were rewarded for exploring and thinking outside the box.

im just excited its coming to vr. quake was lot of fun with my rift, so i'm looking forward to this

>95% of damage comes from bullshit acid blood
>can only hold one weapon
>Can't learn levels, No secrets
How can one team fuck up so bad?

Well it's not a boring game if you like fun games

FPS games are not innovative or original. They haven't been in two decades.

Pitch me some ideas on a good FPS game. Go ahead. We both know they'll all be shit.

But the new Doom was bretty fun, or are you still in the mindset from when they first showed off that really shitty demo and didn't look into it beyond that?

Nosefaratu isn't particularly randomized.

Level design works like this: If you notice that it's not great, it's shit. If you don't notice it, it's good. If you notice and admire it, it's godtier. What's the point of running around endlessly? That sounds boring. You're doing the same thing over and over.

I don't think video game discussion is worth anything. Not a single buzzword in my previous post by the way. This is just another game that developers decided to ride the reddit audience-oriented wave with.

The procedural generation in this game looks like it's being implemented to extend the longevity of the game. Instead of having set levels where you can learn them inside and out it's a "new experience" every time. It's kind of the point for rouglikes, if you can just learn the layout and find out where all the best loot is first time around it kinda defeats the whole point.

People praising that game is a gods indication of how backwards everything has gotten

>Not a single buzzword in my previous post by the way.

Retro-indie shit explains nothing about why the game is bad. On Sup Forums it is a buzzword (or phrase) that means nothing

what about, just off the top of my head, a fps that doesnt utilize gimicky-dev work? or cut corners with crappy model animations? or re-hash the same generic atmosphere/environments? or ruin any potential multiplayer with shitty netcode?

>its not boring! its a fun FPS!
>FPS games just arent original or innovative
>but its fun, i swear!

shill detected.

Combat looks pretty shit to be honest. Guy is unloading his shotgun and the enemies barely react.

But all the best roguelikes still have a degree of pattern recognition. And I get what they're trying to do, but in practice it looks like it just boils down to doing the exact same thing, just the corridors are placed differently. And again, something like Rogue isn't based on level design, it's based on survival, and stats.

Here's an idea. Make a roguelike with a set level design. Make it as visually amazing as possible. Now go play through it a hundred times. It's boring by the 5th time and it's shit by the 10th. You can't do games like this without procedural generation, then it's just an FPS game. Look at MGSV, big open hand crafted world (sure there's a fuckload of nothing, but let's focus on the places that had shit). Once you learn the layouts and item/goon locations it gets boring and repetitive.

They have shitty graphics because they don't have the resources to polish them up, thus they are on purpose. What's hard to understand?

Shit models, great animations > Great models, shit animations
Shit models, shit animations = Strife

Let me guess: you play lots and lots of overwatch

I'm pretty sure I already have this game lol

>Minecraft clone
in the thrash

>its just shitty because they cant make it good. why is that so hard to understand?
its not hard to understand. its hard to understand why anyone would buy it

Eh. Just watched the gameplay video. Like I feared, the moment to moment gameplay isn't doing much for me. Probably will end up waiting for it to hit a bundle to fuck around with it a little.

It's not, but a hell of a lot of randomized shooters I've tried aren't either. They tend to lean on the Binding of Isaac style "Let's shuffle these premade rooms around", and Nosferatu is further limited since instead of running through a linear tunnel with discrete levels it's marginally more open, thus areas are a little more gated by when you can reach 'em.

Still chose Nosferatu as a shoutout as opposed to something like Ziggurat because while Ziggurat does a pretty decent job on the roguelite side, it has even worse randomization in the levels.

But replaying the levels and learning them as you go on is fun. Then you can come back to them and find something you missed and it'll blow your mind

"not having the resources" doesn't make them any less shit

Its like everyone forgot there was an exclusive console Doom that worked out just fine.

Do you only buy AAA video games with 10 million freedom bux budgets user?

So paranautical activity?

no, i typically only buy good games. so you'll understand why i'll never own this abortio- i mean strafe

Paranautical activity really did look absolutely terrible. The small-resolution textured origami models are at least fun to look at.

With less variety but the same shitty gunplay, by the looks of things.

>mfw imagining MGSV with procedural generation
That would make all the rehashed missions be actually sort of neat because holy fuck memorizing areas removes all the fun from sneaking around

I remember seeing some of this game a year or two ago.
It's a shame it still looks like its shit.

meh, looks boring.

Since this is an obvious shillthread

What's with the acid blood? Who the fuck thought it was a good idea?

>shillthread

Man talking about video games on Sup Forums sure is terrible

Videogames are Anime Schoolgirl Panty Sniffer 13, the latest Mario, and Anime Schoolgirl Sci-fi Cyberpanty Hacker. You chose to talk about garbage with no tits in it. I'm not falling for your shenanigans Shekelstein.

>tfw no truly good rougelite fps
It's my dream game to actually have a good one. Sure I can pop out Doom wads with oblige, but I've played Doom so much I'm getting a bit sick of it.
Where's my FPS Spelunky already? Surely someone is working towards making it a reality.

I just don't think Strafe will have anywhere as much replayability value though. Ziggurat was pretty fun, but room to room fighting is still a bit lame for a FPS title.
Shadow Warrior 2 was really good in my opinion, but not necessarily a rougelite and had only a little replay value... I beat it 4 times but after the 2nd or 3rd you can power though everything even on the insane difficulty tiers.
Tower of Guns was just ok, and Heavy Bullets just didn't have enough variety. Sublevel Zero was great gameplay-wise but had too much menuing for my tastes.
Gibhard looks the most promising, but there's like no proper gameplay yet and it looks to be being developed at a snails pace.

dusk looks pretty good too
i love those kinds of grammix

>1999 graphics
shut the fuck up retard

It's not completely random, they design the rooms and enemy placement by hand and the engine snaps the pieces together, they'll also have fixed levels for leaderboard modes.

Takes effort.
Most community indey devz™ can't be bothered. People are going to try to milk the popularity of procedural generation until that finally wanes.

You can cover it back over with normal blood to make it traversable again.

no, i've never played that garbage

Heavy Bullets sucked ass

>Takes effort.

Small teams cannot possibly compete with full 100 man teams, and it's not as if procedural generations is automatically easy or bad. It's all about the implementation of it

>look guys im being retarded on purpose give me attention plzzz

I'M LITERALLY playing it right NOW.

no one is excited for this game.. Too many bad decisions were made and the entire project is a trainwreck. The only people talking about it are people voicing their displeasure and people paid to talk about it/have some sort of stake in the project.

>Why are Rogue-inspired games procedurally generated???

When is DUSK coming out?

Fair enough.
I just prefer games like deadbolt over something like gungeon.

gibhard will be better

Gungeon is setting the bar pretty low.

Looks neat

oh shit i remember seeing this game somewhere and it looked cool
thanks for reminding about it user

>one man dev "team" that takes a whole two weeks to make a fancy pillar with physics
>no proper gameplay vids on youtube or the like
>only one area shown
>implying it's not vaporware already

>/vg/station

Why are you playing it in 16:9? Are you a baka or something

he posts stuff on twitter m8
also it's supposed to be in early access soon enough so you can see yourself