Is the horror genre dead?

Is the horror genre dead?

Why has there been nothing on the same level of quality has the original Resident Evil and Silent Hill trilogies?

Does horror just not translate to HD?

Other urls found in this thread:

metacritic.com/game/wii-u/fatal-frame-maiden-of-black-water
scp-wiki.net/scp-003-j
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

People who were kids when RE/SH came out are now older and have seen plenty of shit. Those people aren't scared of things that go bump in the night, so unless SH starts dealing in pure existential dread and the nagging feeling that you've ultimately wasted your life on something, horror is going to continue to just be a series of jump-scare corridors and light action games like every RE game post 2.

Are you retarded or trolling?

what's with this image I"ve been seeing a lot recently

Didn't we just have this thread

It's the representation of a made up disease that the people in the house think they have that became physical after the daughter gets the sickness for real or something.

It was secretly CoD

so it's basically a modern version of the red plague story?

Lynk's is a reality-distorting SCP that lives in the minds of its victims. If you hear about the disease, you have it, the the more real the symptoms become.

RE went to shit, Konami shat the bed.
Fatal Frame is still good, but it's only on Nintendo's consoles

We had a good thread yesterday.

The Masque of the Red Death
Please user, show some culture

Let's hope this one crashes. Not videogames.

No Lynks isn't real. It's all very confusing.

how do i sumen a sucubus?

Horror translates to HD fine. What it doesn't translate to is modern AAA convention. The equivalent to "popcorn flick" horror like Until Dawn works fine but good horror goes out of its way to be difficult and uninviting, not exactly things publishers want a big game to be. I'm honestly surprised efforts like Alien Isolation and The Evil Within came out as intact as they did.

It's not real because it doesn't exist unless you hear about it. You cannot contract it unless you know it exists. A person with Lynks can jizz directly into your open stab wound and you will not contract it unless he also say "Oh fuck I have Lynks"

I'm intentionally not spoiling myself on RE7 but the fuck do you mean by this?

Why would you discuss video games on Sup Forums of all places ?
How new are you, buddy ?

People got early copies and there is a ton of combat, and unlike other horror games many of the sequences can't be skipped. Since you can't skip the battles, there's a bunch of ammo to ensure no player fucks himself over.

So basically, another Evil Within?

>many of the sequences can't be skipped

Well, fuck. Being able to fight or flee is kind of one of classic RE's finer points.

You mean like RE5 and RE6

>tfw you think RE5/6 were mediocre but TEW was great

I just don't know anymore.

Total Extreme Wrestling?

money

Leave a plate of cookies and a glass of cum out every night

Too bad there was literally never any reason to run away unless you're some sort of aspie speedrunner. You're always decked to the fucking brim with ammo.

I was going to suggest Alien, but then I remembered that they added a film grain filter specifically to make the game look old.

What does that have to do with anything?

Because Film Grain is the dumbest god damned trend in games. I get that some people like it, but a sizeable enough portion of people don't and so it shouldn't be included as an option that can't be disabled like it is in many games. Either they make it so you can't disable the fucker, or they make it so that you can only disable it if you also turn off every other fucking PP effect with it.

At least on PC we can usually edit ini files to turn it off, but I feel for my console friends.

Imagine if they made a triple A game that ONLY ran in 800 x 600. Or you could put the res up, but you had to turn down texture resolution and shadows to do it. Fucking ridiculous, sure you CAN play any game at 800x600 but it looks stupid and a lot of people really don't want it.

You reek of virgin

I'm sure you'll see a third person fixed camera horror game on kickstarter any day now

>Why has there been nothing on the same level of quality has the original Resident Evil and Silent Hill trilogies?

OP asked if the horror genre is dead because horror doesn't work in HD.

In some senses that's true, because some part of the atmosphere of horror is having obstructed vision.

Having darkness plays a role in this, as well as corners or corridors where you can't see what's in each room until you're in it.

Having shit like film grain, diffraction, lens flares, can add to that

FF is in the same situation as RE/SH.

First three entries are great and the last few have been bad. Though I like that they're at least trying to make horror games still.

I've never played a game with film grain that didn't give the option to turn it off unless it was on a console or something. But who the fuck plays console games.

You'd know.

How is maiden bad you contrarian retard?

>tfw Horror genre in Hollywood is dead
>tfw the Horror genre in gaming is dead
>tfw Creepypasta genre killed any sort of horror that can be found on the internet

>metacritic.com/game/wii-u/fatal-frame-maiden-of-black-water
>67% metascore
>7.6 userscore

I don't think I'm the contrarian here user

Dead Space was a pretty brilliant trilogy.

Holy fuck get the fuck out of here you newfag.

>Horror genre
>dead
Being proper horror, yes.
But what is truly dead are God games. Black and White 3 never ever. Everything else is basically phone game shit or villager ordering simulator while waiting in near real time.

lol

>Genre is called SURVIVAL horror
>SURVIVAL
>(horror)
>Make a fpa with spook
>GENRE IS ALIVE, FOWKS

>trilogies
fsdsdss,,!!

Lynks would be considered a memetic phenomenon/infohazard in SCP

Knowing about it makes it real and dangerous, kinda interesting when your reading some of the articles that get altered

see :D
scp-wiki.net/scp-003-j
People infected begin conversing entirely with emoticons eventually :3 and then they can't stop :(, this is probably the most real scp out there :P

This is why they're banned on Sup Forums