1.06 million

15. Kirby's Dream Land 3
1.04 million

16. Kirby Planet Robobot

17.Kirby Canvas Curse
0.73 million

18. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
0.52 million

How popular is your favorite Kirby game Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

vg247.com/2014/05/22/kirby-hal-laboratories-nintendo-interview/2/
youtube.com/watch?v=372RqXBq4ws#t=70
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Source for all those sales?

Third place.
Then again, it's fucking 24 years old.

I've only played Nightmare in Dreamland and Amazing mirror

the first Kirby game sold the most out of all of them? Interesting, it was the most barebones of them all before they had more levels, worlds, powers, etc

Not uncommon.
Exact same thing happened with Mario and Pokemon.

My tie for best is both 3rd and 4th. Nice.

Never realized Air Ride sold so much
Sequel when
I just want online city trial

It would be paid online now.

why does Sup Forums love kirby so much?

Because it's a solid series that continues to be good thanks to based HAL.

Eh, it'd be worth for Air Ride. Specially since the only MK the switch will get is going to be MK8 port and nothing else.

It's the only good Nintendo franchise.

I didn't know DL2 was that popular. I never see it mentioned as often as DL3 and 64.

Comfiest series.

Kirby's too powerful

>no dream course
I think I'm the only person who likes that game. It just has so much charm.

It's not popular enough to hate.

Cute platformers that are simple but well made and fun to play.

It was alright for a spinoff title.

>too powerful
nah

I want to be Kirby's friend!

It's definitely a top 5 Kirby game.

The anniversary already happened or no yet?

It's sometime in April I think.

Not yet.

>the game that has been around the longest that debuted on a popular handheld sold the most? interesting

>18. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
0.52 million
>6. Kirby Super Star
2.12 million
Still my favorites FIGHT ME

>Rainbow Curse
>anyone's favorite
One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess.

I don't know who would find a bucket of shit as a treasure
Rainbow Curse is just a terrible game

That's pretty broken for someone like him, even if someone can't be inhaled isn't safe from him, except Gordos maybe.

Get some Dedede in here

64 > Adventure > Super Star > Dream Land 2 > Triple Deluxe > Dream Land 3 > Dream Land > Epic Yarn > Anime > Dededetour > Return to Dream Land

That's ranking his roles, not his designs.

Questions
>The last two games were essentially about Dedede and Meta Knight respectively and each had modes where you replayed the game as them. Is this gonna happen with Waddle Dee or anyone else?
>Is the """""lore""""" building up to something?
>Will Ado/Adeleine ever come back
>Will this series ever have a 3D platformer? How would it work?

Maybe. Who knows?
Possible. The new director seems to be having fun with himself.
Could happen, nobody knows.
RtDL was a 3D platformer in early development. It didn't work well.

Hopefully they put a 3d platformer on the Switch. I can see it happening depending on how long the Switch hangs around.

Maybe.

Definitely, with the constant design callbacks to Zero and the dark matter I'd assume something is coming.

Hahaha, I wish, but no.

At some point it will. I wouldn't hold your breath on it being very good though. Can't imagine how a 3D Kirby game would work

cute waifu potential main character is all it takes

>The last two games were essentially about Dedede and Meta Knight respectively and each had modes where you replayed the game as them. Is this gonna happen with Waddle Dee or anyone else?
Waddle Dee seems likely, considering he's the only one in the quartet of main characters who hasn't gotten an adventure yet.
Likely, Dark Matter has been brought up often recently, I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually get a get where he's back for real.
I doubt it, but it would be incredible. Paint is an ability that should really be explored more.
We're getting there, but very, VERY slowly. The idea of a 3D Kirby game has been around ever since the N64, but we're just getting our first taste of it in Robobot, and it was just a small side minigame.

Probably not to all of these.

Probably similar to the minigame in Robobot. When people think 3D, they think big open three dimensional fuck off levels like a Mario Sunshine or some shit, but I feel like Kirby will stay simple and abstract even in 3D. If I had to compare it to a Mario game, then 3D Land or World would be what I would expect to happen.

I don't think it would be like the minigame in terms of objective, it would definitely include enemies with actual attack and movement patterns designed to be fought with copy abilities, but I do think platforming will inevitably take a backseat in 3D to combat and defeating enemies. The 2D games are already basically like that; they're beat 'em ups that have more puzzle elements than they do platforming elements, though the level of control you have over Kirby is more akin to a platformer because of the series' roots.

>>The last two games were essentially about Dedede and Meta Knight respectively and each had modes where you replayed the game as them. Is this gonna happen with Waddle Dee or anyone else?
Waddle Dee got the worst Kirby game ever made for that, Rainbow Curse. He's done.
>>Is the """""lore""""" building up to something?
More call-backs for nostalgia's sake.
>>Will Ado/Adeleine ever come back
Unlikely.
>>Will this series ever have a 3D platformer?
Maybe.
>>How would it work?
Probably more like Super Mario 3D Land than Super Mario 64.

>When people think 3D, they think big open three dimensional fuck off levels like a Mario Sunshine or some shit
Probably because games like Kirby's Adventure, Dream Land 2, Dream Land 3, Kirby 64, and even Epic Yarn, for simple 2D platformers, managed to feel like big open adventures in cohesive, ever expanding, richly detailed, and varied worlds. Kirby's setting has the potential for great depth and interest, it should feel lively, like a cute diverse land where cute diverse people live. Not ONLY a series of blocks to jump on.
>but I feel like Kirby will stay simple and abstract even in 3D.
Like what, Dream Course? If it's going to be a 3D adventure it shouldn't be something lame and boring like 3D Land or the Robobot minigame. One round of City Trial would be better than a whole game of that.

When you look at Kirby, you see happiness. But I see the pain of a thousand years of sorrow and loneliness grasped by the destruction of his previous homeworld burning like the flames of a thousand tiny suns.

Reminder that if Air Ride 2 actually happens we'll have to pay for online to play with Sup Forums

His home world is Pop Star. He's not originally from Dream Land though, he used to consider it "Dedede's Realm" in the first game so I guess he was from one of the countries Dedede stole food from.
Are you thinking of this one? I always thought she had a demurely sweet, yet melancholy and mysterious presence to her. Probably because of what happened to Shiver Star, and how she's all alone in her strawberry cloud.

We'll make our own Air Ride 2! With fan service, and cities.

>4. Kirby Super Star Ultra
>2.36 million
>13. Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
>1.324 million
Kirby & the Amazing Mirror is still my favorite though. Super Star Ultra being the 4th on the list is quite nice.

Well it was also made to be the perfect gameboy game for younger children and old people who aren't able to grasp complex controls. It hit the perfect sweetspot between accessibility and difficulty compared to all other Kirby games.

>being surprised that the game that was around the longest sold the most

Lolno
maybe
lolno
It'll be linear levels, but they won't be as abstract as SM3DL or the robobot minigame. Basically we'll get actual settings as opposed to floating blocks on a skybox.

There is literally nothing to hate. It's unhateable.

Not if it's released on 3DS

This.
The only thing I hate about Kirby is the voice.

I honestly doubt they'd go for a 3D Land or blocky look, the mini game was a testing ground for movement and also a call-back to the canceled 3D game, but if expanded upon I'd expect them to ditch the blocky aesthetic. For starters Kumazaki's already expressed his vision of a 3D Kirby game
vg247.com/2014/05/22/kirby-hal-laboratories-nintendo-interview/2/
>I suspect there are also more than a few users who’d appreciate being able to freely run around a sprawling map, fighting with copy abilities.
Its not much to go by but I feel "a sprawling map" brings to mind more natural environments instead of set blocky courses, and would be on par with Kirby's world better that way

I don't see why point out those games only, hell, Adventure, DL2 and DL3 are no more or less "blocky" than Super Star, Squeak Squad or modern games, which also give the sense of great worlds, squeak squad a bit less though.

CHESTO

>6-8 in Triple Deluxe for the first time

Why doesn't he speak english?

Maybe
Depends, what are we talking about? I personally think Drawcia, Paintra, and Claycia are building up to their creator appearing at some point in the future.
Probably only as a cameo, hell it was something that the animal friends even appeared in Triple Deluxe but there's always hope for more
uhhhhhh

>but if expanded
It just doesn't work, nothing about that play style is salvageable. It's a clumsy, slow mess. They need to start from the drawing board.

I don't think it was implied that Super Star or Squeak Squad aren't like that, they just don't fit that description as well as the games listed.

Canonically a bab of his species

Does he say an English "Hi" or a Japanese "Hai"
Also he speaks full sentences in some manuals, official manga, and a couple spin-off games. But he's a main character so he's a silent protagonist.

Not canon, he's "young" but not a bab. I've always seen him as like a Moomintroll aged kid.

no teeth

There are no bad Kirby games

Give a beer to that bastard.

YA

ING

t. hasn't tried all the spinoffs

>Canvas Curse 0.73 million
>Air Ride 1.62 million

Canvas curse is still my favorite, but i own a wii U and i still didn't buy rainbow curse because it looked slow as shit compared to my memories of canvas.

None of the spinoffs are bad

>ing

HEY

YA HEY

>they just don't fit that description as well as the games listed
Well even then I'd disagree, 64 and Epic Yarn definitely, but DL3 is way oversold. I suppose that's really where my beef lies

Maybe its just me, and one day I'll find the perfect words, but DL3's always managed to blend in my mind as samey and forgettable when it shouldn't be. There's something wrong about the execution of the style that leaves everything looking cookie cutter and sterile, and the color palettes only help to make each world feel the same as the last. It doesn't feel organic, its very clearly "level design" At the very least its very flat and doesn't do enough visually to break up that level editor platformer feel.

The art also often clashes with itself so it doesn't feel as cohesive nor does it ever really live up to its artstyle, I'd blame the SNES but I feel they still could've done better. Outlined or blended in, soft and noisy or blocked in, etc, it just needs to pick a side and stick to it everywhere.

wow The best answer ever read here

META KNIGHTS EYES ARE WHITE! THIS GOT IT RIGHT!
Rainbow Curse was kind of poorly designed. That thing Aonuma was talking about, that the Wii U gamepad can be distracting and cumbersome like a GPS in your lap as you try to drive, definitely applies here. Plus it has far less content and features than its handheld predecessor, and it sells you the half-assed abilities of Dedede and Meta Knight as amiibo, which is unforgivable. The aesthetic is nice but it's clearly a rushed budget game.

Seriously, what twisted creature created her?

this

youtube.com/watch?v=372RqXBq4ws#t=70

I think it after KA and K64 it applies the most to DL3 because it's full of characters you can interact with.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEE

As i said, HEY

There's no way that's a HEY

Woman

I'd love to agree fully but sprites sitting at empty rooms at the end of every level aren't particularly exciting.

Animal pals and gooey are pretty dope though, specially seeing their disappointed faces at being rejected and how they each treat Kirby, or the level intros. I feel its still hampered by the game's style and levels though, it only treats them as friends in their individual sprites and animations, when it comes to the levels they're merely items in an item room with no special scenery. Meanwhile DL2 has them captured by mini-bosses in bags you have to rescue. They're there because they were kidnapped, not just magically placed by the level designer there, they feel alive and part of the world better that way, but said system only works in DL2's context.

I guess that point goes back to the quest givers, I would've loved to have met Samus mid-level and team up against the metroids, but she just stands at the end and a collectible pops up above her head. The mini-game guys have it better in that respect I suppose.

>DL3's always managed to blend in my mind as samey and forgettable when it shouldn't be.
Every single level looks different, don't they? That's how I remember it.

>There's something wrong about the execution of the style that leaves everything looking cookie cutter and sterile, and the color palettes only help to make each world feel the same as the last.
>The art also often clashes with itself so it doesn't feel as cohesive nor does it ever really live up to its artstyle
The characters are colored pencil while the settings are oil pastel. Maybe you just dislike the oil look? Is it too "smudgey" to you? I personally like it, it's fine if you don't.

I think the point is that Kirby is helping those who are sad and helpless, effected by a world where almsot everyone is possessed by Dark Matter. It would be a bit odd for it to turn into Gunstar Heroes when you get to Samus.

There's no way you got working ears

Every single level looks different, don't they? That's how I remember it.
Well like I said, it shouldn't but it still feels that way. I think another issue, or perhaps the real problem, is each individual level looking the same throughout. In most Kirby games I associate the level with an overall look and environment, various set pieces, landmarks, motifs and backgrounds, etc. All of which are arranged in unique ways throughout to make each are stand out. DL3 levels have one basic tile set, 3 decorations and a simple background that clearly loops forever, and maybe a couple gimmick blocks here and there. Geography is memorable from a level design point of view and the funky shape it makes, but the actual terrain is no different than the same one two rooms prior.

Just compare DL3's pyramid to K64. DL3's has the entrance and the top as the only somewhat unique room, every interior room is the same black tiles with the same background they change the color of. I remember the actual level, sure there's the hub room, there's the tongue guys or the falling boulders, but that's simply the layout and level design, there's zero work put in to differentiate these environmentally.
I shouldn't even need to break down K64's pyramid, holee shiet, the entrance, the shotzo elevator, the rainbow horizontal blocks, the mini boss room, the lighbulb room and buttons, the big open floating block area, the zappy line climb. Each distinct and unique environments.

I think with how limited each level is visually, when jumping from one to another there's even less to set each one apart, and more stuff that blends in together, hurting the overall memorability.

You got me typing up a storm, to be continued in another post

>DL3 levels have one basic tile set, 3 decorations and a simple background that clearly loops forever, and maybe a couple gimmick blocks here and there.
Exactly how I feel about RtDL, TD, and PR.

>Maybe you just dislike the oil look?
That wasn't really my point, the way they go about it is basic and boring. There's hardly any variety in the environmental tiles, and a lot of repetition. It doesn't feel like the painted a big scene, it feels like they painted a few squares and copy pasted them everywhere. Nearly every 2D Kirby game is tilebased and has limited tilesets they work with, yes, but they always manage to invoke far more variety than DL3.

The other point was about the sprites themselves and how they don't have on cohesive art style across similar assets. Look at the forest in that pic I posted and compare the actual ground to the platform or the tree logs. I would say compare to the background or Kirby, but those would make sense to style differently. Anyways, the ground has some hard and defined edges, solid colors blocking. The colors are soft and there's enough noise to break it up, but it still clearly perfect little oval rocks and trim around the top. Meanwhile the tree platform are very soft, almost picturesque as suppose to drawn, colors blend in, its shaded softly and mixes in as supposed to defined edges. It looks like it belongs to the background. You also see this in enemy sprites, while Kirby and Waddle Dee are very soft and painterly (or rather colored penciled) some enemies are closer to crayon or marker drawings with defined edges and cel shading. Ado even contradicts herself, her head looking like Kirby and co and having no edges
or soft ones, while her body is a paint triangle tool filled in a solid color.

Compare DL3 to something like Yoshi's Island and the difference in visual design and direction is outstanding, it has clearly establishes style rules to make everything cohesive, at least more often than DL3

Yeah, DL3 clearly had a few different artists that weren't quite on the same page.

I'd disagree on that, TD and PR specially are perfect examples of making it work and feel unique despite a tilebased layout, which it foregoes more and more with each installment.

RtDL wasn't quite as good, but like I say here >Nearly every 2D Kirby game is tilebased and has limited tilesets they work with, yes, but they always manage to invoke far more variety than DL3.

This is specially true of the 3D installments in which they have an entire extra dimension to work with. Even with all the extra work of making 3D assets they still manage to have far more varied and flexible building blocks in one level than a single DL3 world combined, that's not even getting into the shitton of unique setpeices and environments exclusive to certain areas or levels. Let's not even get started with the backgrounds, you can turn on free camera on dolphin and have a little adventure exploring RtDL's backgrounds, but you see any of DL3's once and you've seen it all.

Go on PR's 1-1 and look at the motherfucking pipes, go on, yes there's like 3 pipe pieces they use to make them all, but not a single one of those pipes in arranged the same way, looping from foreground to background and attaching here and there, connecting with others over there and what not. Then you go to 1-2 and for a bit they've got pipe leaves and are arranged like trees for a bit to match the new mecha tree background, how neat is that, not to mention the pipe intro to the level you never see elsewhere.

1-1 is beautiful, just look at all the different ways they break up the ground and all the different ways they fence or wall behind Kirby, or put about purely decorative objects that don't have to conform to any tiles. Halfway through we've got fucking cans to stand on because why the fuck not man, and there's that couple of times you go to the background for the unique diagonal cans you can inside.