No Mario Odyssey thread, Sup Forums? Let's fix that right now

No Mario Odyssey thread, Sup Forums? Let's fix that right now.

Because as you might know, this might very well be GOAT.

What are your expectations?
Have you seen this?
youtu.be/1y8AnpXFi2k

Mario's moveset is the same as 64 with some new moves. Triple jump is back!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ih323XXu_3w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I want luigi
also the city looks kinda small

Do you guys want Mahito Yokota to do the music?

For those unaware he did almost all the music for both Galaxy games and 3D World.

Gameplay looks good, realistic people look unsettling.

>We want the Mexican audience

It's just one level guys.

Looking forward to speedrunning this one hope there's not too much cinematics.

Also I hope there's a lot of levels. To me, Mario 64 is pretty much one of the best games ever and if there's one game that can replicate that it's this one. Problem with sunshine was that it was all beach levels, lacked variety. I would've played it so much more had it been otherwiser

yeah i want to jump onto a small hat as a platform, because pinpoint jumping was so good in 64 and Sunshine

this is either going to be unplayably frustrating or 3D sonic Lock-on-Jumps levels of ridiculous

Absolutely gorgeous lad. How can the Xbone and Ps4 even compete?

You're right dude it's not as if Mario 64 is still praised for having the best controls in any video game ever made

I'm a big fan of pimp Bowser

Is this serious? What the fuck is this.

Yeah it reminds me of JOJO XD

Please elaborate

I'm incredibly excited. Probably won't buy a switch at launch, but this game has me very interested in one

youtube.com/watch?v=Ih323XXu_3w

Check it out boys

>dive is back
This game could be total shit but I don't care
The best Mario move is back after more than a decade

Those controls look very solid, can't wait to play it.

Real talk it looks like a Sonic Adventure game.

I want the levels to be more like sunshine then 64. I was never a fan of the floating world levels like whomps fortress and cool cool mountain. I like levels that are more attached to a world than just existing on its own

>Real talk
can you just fucking stay on reddit

>Makes a fun video that doesn't criticize a game company for once
>Comment section is full of people criticizing a game company

This is what happens when you appeal to reactionaries.

Super Mario Odyssey = Super Mario Sunshine 2 in disguise.

XD too funny my man post Impact Font memes

I mean, it kind of literally is.

And I'm more than okay with it.

>checkpoint flag in the town
oh no, what the fuck is this shit

There's a checkpoint flag on your ship at all times too. Those are literally just spawn points.

A checkpoint.

I mean, if the levels are really MASSIVE, you'll want to set respawn points so that dying right at the end doesn't mean you have to retrace 10 minutes of level. Think Dark Souls, or even something like VVVVVV.

That said, I wish it wasn't the same old Bowser flag that's been reused like 5 times already. It's a bit immersion breaking.

Ok that's a bit more reassuring.

Its not "kind of" it literally is. Just look at the trailer and the video the OP posted. I've been waiting for Sunshine 2 since 2002.

That'd be cool, I hope Kondo is also on board. He did my favorite songs from Galaxy 2.

What other worlds could they do?

snow level, volcano level, beach level, grasslands level, etc...

How many worlds do you think the game will have, since 64 had, what, 15?

There better be some goddamn flight powers in this game.

>How many worlds do you think the game will have

OVER 9000

Kill me please

I'm very excited about it. I think it's a pretty neat idea and looks like a ton of fun so far.

In SM64, the theme was "art" and "new worlds." It taught that you can enter new worlds through art, and that's exactly what Mario did. Subtly, too, it introduced the idea that video games (especially now when making the leap into the third dimension) are entering the realm of art. It was beautiful.

In Sunshine, the theme was "vacation." The world of Sunshine was that of relaxation, tropical adventure, and the idea that video games can be a form of healthy "escapism," much like an island vacation.

In Galaxy 1+2, the theme was "new horizons." The Wii, at the time, was Nintendo's attempt to innovate and expand what a video game was. Although, in retrospect, the Wii was little more than a wagglan gimmick, Galaxy 1+2, with the theme of new horizons, found Mario in space, planet hopping and traversing black holes.

In 3DWorld, the theme was "Nostalgia." Even though the linear, 3D playstyle was new (other than 3DLand), the idea was that one can only move forward by looking to the past. 3D World borrowed ideas from the original Mario games, and it was a great thing.

Odyssey looks like the theme is "Imagination." The realistic, New York Gray environment of what I imagine is the hub world grounds us in reality, and the Mad Hatter's hat (a la Lewis Carol's Alice in Wonderland) brings us into our imagination and colorful new horizons and shows us that gaming was invented for that very reason.

The hat gimmick looks super simple but extremely cool, too. Can't wait.

Where are all the KOF arcade machines?

I wouldn't hope for more than 8.
64 was going to have around 9 before being delayed a year.

>tfw this game has the comfiest winter level in all of Mario games
>Mario explores a snowcapped summit with friendly penguins about
>tons of little log cabins for Mario to enter
>he can go in and sit by the fireplace with the penguins, and he'll have a special idle animation for rubbing his hands together and catching the warmth of the fire
>maybe a little ski lift he can ride, so that he can ski/roll/skate/platform/etc. down the mountainside
>Japan-style onsen behind the ski lodge where Mario can go and warm up after running around in the snow all day

sounds actually fantastic

I need it.

>Mario's moveset is the same as 64

I didn't see any side somersaults or jump kicks.

Miyamoto's Brain

>Holland Level
>Mario explores a green, rolling hillside with windmills and Toads dressed in Dutch costumes
>Little cottages and horse-drawn carts scattered about.
>Next to an enchanted forest with creatures from European folklore lurking about
>Forest is actually a sprawling maze with a couple caves with treasure inside

He can definitely jump kick, he does so in the trailer.

The little kick he did on the traffic cone was an automatic thing, it was in Galaxy and 3D World for some objects.

Side flips were in the main trailer, near the end, Mario uses it to jump over that laser hoop thing, right before the scene where he's running from Bullet Bills.

I'm not sure if Mario will be able to punch or kick again, though.

>what I imagine is the hub world
How do people keep making this mistake? You clearly travel from level to level in that ship. New Donk is just a sandbox level.

>trailer has shown 4 levels
>later on the trailer shows 4 rabbits
>you get to fight them
Doesn't help that development of the game is nearly finished

Freemasonic temples.

Oh wait he's already been there.

I don't think that's the case. I think the Top Hat ship is the the method TO get from level to level. The Hub is New Donk (christ...) and you hop on the ship to get to the levels.

Sort of like the Observatory and you use the telescope rooms/slingshot star things to catapult into the stars.

Bottom line is we don't know - it's hardly fair or logical to say that either theory is "a mistake."

I don't follow. Are you saying because you saw 4 rabbits there's 4 worlds?

What about these shops? What kind of cap-based moves or power-ups do you think these will unlock?

Can there be any use for the hat besides being used as an projectile and becoming a platform?

The game still has a year to go (assuming no delays) and they would never show absolutely everything the game has to offer right up front like this, within its very first reveal trailer. It's possible you fight each bunny twice and that there are 8 worlds, or that they aren't even world ending bosses (since we saw that giant electric centipede as a boss in the city level).

And a 5th for the eventual Bows fight. Maybe one or two more secret levels if Nintendo's feeling generous

kek

Why is it that mario 64 has the best physics of any mario game ever? This mario looks stiff as fuck compared to 64 too.

As a Muslim, I will not be playing Mario Odyssey because of its Day of the Dead art style and connotations, and Allah (May Peace Be Upon him) forbids celebrating necromancy or communication with the dead.

Yall have fun though. :)

You got a problem with New Donk?

Hopefully a return of the Wing and Metal Caps.

what if there is a beach level and you get fludd

nah bruh

Mario's moveset is the same as 64 with some new moves.

youtube.com/watch?v=XQnLP84IfJo
reverse slide?
youtube.com/watch?v=jE6Q1ok-aY4
slide kick?
that spinny break dancing kick?
getting stuck in sand or snow?
crawling?
tip-toeing?

This is life. There is no going back.

>super mario 64 moveset is back

I love how Mario has bits of his old moves and new ones don't get me wrong, but unless I can jump kick, punch things with the 3 piece combo, or breakdance, it ain't Mario 64's moveset just yet.

It's definitely too early to say, but some evidence towards the city being a hub world is that there seems to be nothing hostile or threatening in it, unlike the other worlds where we've seen Mario encountering enemies and platforming challenges. But the city is different, Mario just runs around leisurely and parkours off of stuff.

Something to disprove that, however, is that having the top hat ship means that Mario doesn't even need a hub world this time. You might just board the ship and then select a level to fly off to, and that's it. No need to access levels from certain locations of a hub since you have your own flying machine.

If you hop on the ship to get to different levels, why on earth would you go to different parts of the hub just to hop onto the ship? The ship would either be in one spot, or you could call it from anywhere.

With that mindset, you don't *need* a hubworld at all. Why not just a menu with a list of levels and pick one from it? It's just about coolness factor and aesthetic.

Maybe Eyes Hat is a temporary powered up state that Mario has to purchase, and it goes away after Mario takes too much damage? (Assuming he's back to having a power meter like SM64/Sunshine)

Or maybe there are multiple hats that Mario can get and they all have unique powers, Wario Land 1 style, and Crazy Cap is where Mario switches them around.

I'm certain the hat mechanic will be done with waggle. They said themselves that there was something special about the hat that you could only experience on the Switch. You'll probably have to flick your wrist in a particular way to have it do different things.

This.
I doubt this Mario is as complete as Mario's 64 Mario

Because Mario's uncanny motions in 64 match his uncanny low-poly 3D model. The way he moves now looks mostly the same as how he did then, but because it's a modern-ass Mario model, it looks odd with that kind of movement. Just think of how weird the SM64 in Unity thing looked.

is this copypasta?

I'm not saying that. 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy all had proper justifications for why you had to go to different place to go to a different level. Your proposition that New Donk is the hub while you travel to other levels with the ship doesn't add up.

Nah, I just wrote it.

So im feeling like this mario leaving the mushroom kingdom, literally returning to "earth" and the city level is suppose to give us that plumber from brooklyn vibe thus all the donkey kong references. maybe the mushroom kingdoms "stuff" spilling out into the real world OR the "real world" is just kind of wacky and mario like in his universe.

i doubt this will be explained much but it'll be my head canon, either way its traveling around earth to themed locations.

However something I've heard no one talking about it how different levels could have "elements" of past mario games as part of their theme:

new donk city: donkey kong (tons of references)
the red steel grating level: sunshine (tons of purple goo everywhere)
the food level: mario 2 (vegetable carrying)
desert: mario land (sphinx looks like the sphynix fromt hat game)

no clue about the day of the dead themed level but im gonna keep my eye out for more nods to past mario titles in each level as i believe they will each homage one.

That's completely retarded. Do you think you have to flick the whole console when in handheld mode?

He did say that the Mario Bros. movie was too close to the source material for his liking.

obviously you play it with the dock on your head lads

They are literally just bony men. I doubt they're dead.

I'm hopeful that it's just a placeholder asset, since the game is almost a year from release.

What are those moon runes talking about?

With 3D Mario going back to its sandbox roots and Zelda finally finding its sense of adventure in the form of exploration/discovery, does anyone else feel like there's now hope for Nintendo's other franchises?

I'm not saying that there's going to be a AAA production open world meme Metroid or an MMO Pikmin game, but maybe Paper Mario can have deeper RPG mechanics again. Or maybe Star Fox can actually innovate on its presentation and gameplay instead of just control gimmicks.

I want a starfox prequel starring james McCloud

>but maybe Paper Mario can have deeper RPG mechanics again.
Short answer: No.
Long answer: Maybe.

I just hope that they take more pages out of 64's book than Sunshine's book. Sumshine was enjoyable, but it placed far too much of an emphasis on collecting rather than platforming. Having fewer levels than 64 was also a disappointment and every level being tropical made them slightly less varied than 64.

Also having realistic humans just seems out of place, I hope that they were just placeholders (although I can't remember the last time Nintendo had placeholders in a reveal trailer). I also hope that there are at least 10 different levels and the boss fights are as good as they were in Galaxy and they have as much variety.

Overall I'm pretty confident that the team will do a good job. The Tokyo team have done great jobs in the past, even with 3D Land/World. It's great to see things like triple jump and diving back too. The hat seems like a useful gimmick too that still makes the game focused on platforming (unlike FLUDD).

I guess in my ideal world, Metroid would be a 2D bounty hunting adventure, played like a Metroidvania. The story has never been something the Metroid series has been about, so let's drop it completely and just do a a bounty hunting story. Samus almost never does any bounty hunting, which is sad because that's what she is.

A Star Fox game, to be great and successful, literally has to be nothing but Star Fox 64 with new levels and better graphics. I don't think anyone desires different gameplay from the on-rails (and occasionally "all range mode") space shooter with anthropomorphic animals bantering back and forth. No new vehicles. No weird camera angles. Just some fuckin' space shootin.

Paper Mario, however, needs a good story with great characters, and fucking turn-based battles again. People would love it, and it might actually fucking sell.

Mario is in the right direction. Zelda is in the right direction.

It's like, come on Nintendo. You guys are great, but sometimes polish is better than innovation.

Starfox was literally a glorified tech demo from the beginning. The SNES game showcased the FX chip while the N64 game showcased the rumble pak. If anything, Starfox Zero was a prime example of a Nintendo game going back to its roots, especially after the direction Adventures, Assault and Command took it.

The rabbits are just the boss of the forest world, just like how the chicken is the boss of the food world and the centipede is the boss of the city world.

crouch slide? reverse?
belly slide? reverse?
youtube.com/watch?v=S40fBi65U8c
monkeying?
grabbing, spinning, and launching massive objects?
surfing?
catching butt on fire and running faster?
spinning in the air like a propeller?
human cannon ball?
hand-standing on the tip of a pole/tree and launching off?

>the hat talks to you like the fludd

>I guess in my ideal world, Metroid would be a 2D bounty hunting adventure, played like a Metroidvania. The story has never been something the Metroid series has been about, so let's drop it completely and just do a a bounty hunting story. Samus almost never does any bounty hunting, which is sad because that's what she is.
Metroids defining themes are exploration, isolation and progressively getting stronger. A bounty hunter game where Samus becomes a generic hired gun would entirely go against everything that Metroid stands for. Leave the bounty hunter stuff for spi-offs like federation force.

PART OF WHAT MADE MARIO 64 GOOD
Is that it used simple platforms and obstacles to jump over.

Stages shown so far aar completely empty. devoid of any fun platforming. All I saw was collecting like shit Rare games.

>MMO Pikmin
The fuck? Who on earth would want this?

The first and second Metroid are all about her hunting a bounty, dude.

I still don't get it
what's the difference between 64 and galaxy? there's a hub and there's some levels, what's the difference

The top row are the linear games that are more about reaching the end of an obstacle course, and the bottom row are the wide open games that let the player run around in a sandbox in any direction they want. I can only read the kana, but the top row says "Course clear" something, making it clear that the distinction lies in a linear level progression rather than a sprawling environment.

Even though it's pretty commonly accepted that the Galaxies are like a middleground between both styles, I guess Nintendo considers them in the same category as the "3D" series.

Sunshine had like 8 right?

With Tanabe at the helm of Paper Mario, the long answer is more like Noooooooo.

They specifically mentioned that there doesn't need to be two separate Mario RPGs competing with each other, so the Paper Mario series is fine as an action-exploration genre that abuses paper physics.