I couldn't agree more, GabeN

I couldn't agree more, GabeN

Other urls found in this thread:

gamespot.com/articles/gabe-newell-answers-tons-of-questions-in-ama-inclu/1100-6447011/
youtube.com/watch?v=632kyLysP6c
gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-27-gabe-newell-to-the-internet-you-need-a-more-robust-valve-is-evil-hypothesis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

BASED GABEN

BASED
A
S
E
D

Is GabeN /ourguy/?

ALL HAIL GABE!!!!!!!!

cont

Heck yes ^^

CONSOLE SHITTERS FOREVERALLY

BTFO
T
F
O

xD looool haha!^^ right? !!!111 luv4evaGabn

Sounds good, before it felt like sending a support ticket did nothing

PC MASTER RACE REPRESENT

HOO-AHH

gamespot.com/articles/gabe-newell-answers-tons-of-questions-in-ama-inclu/1100-6447011/
Link if you want the highlights

Assmad console peasant is assmad

>refunds
They only did that because of the law.

ironic shitposting is still shitposting

>Refuses to say HL3 is in development
>Even says he prefers Valve's other franchises get sequels than Half Life because of his personal involvement in 1 and 2
Just fucking sell the IP you fat fuck. Give it to Arkane or id

Groups management should be added, it fucking sucks

>thinks Portal 2 is the best Valve SP game
>plays DotA 2 the most out of the MP games
rip

KEK

Yet the support is still garbage

I LOVE YOU LORD GABEN PLEASE LET ME EAT YOUR FAT HAIRY COCK

Kind of disgusting that it hasn't even been two full years since he did an AMA where even fucking REDDIT called Gaben out on paid mods and how shitty Steam customer support was, but now they're back to kissing his ass despite the only thing that improved was their (reluctant) implementation of a bare bones refund system.

0 times 5 is still 0 though

youtube.com/watch?v=632kyLysP6c

Ok, that was pretty funny, even if it dodged the question

But where's that game no one gives a fuck about anymore.

>let a different company do it
>it sucks
>valve removes the things players didn't like
>add HD textures and rereleases it
>"valve fixed it #thankyougabe"
>fans eat it up because its better in comparison

I can't speak for those disgusting plebs, but I will personally kiss GabeN's ass for as long as I live for what he's accomplished in the PC gaming community. Valve is single-handedly responsible for revolutionizing DRM, gaming communities, game patches, and the indie scene.

You guys might be too young for this, but back in the day you had to go to go through an installer for each individual game, then go to each individual developer to check if your game had a patch available, then you had to download and install it manually. Sometimes the game wouldn't run properly and you'd have to look up wtf was going on and then download something like "MS Visual Studio C++ redistributible 2005 3.0" or some bullshit to get it to work. Now, for the most part, you can simply right click -> install and everything is done for you.

DRM was obnoxious, there was always some bullshit that checked the CD-ROM to make sure it was kosher before the game would run, you had to enter a 16-character code from the back of the CD case for the game to work, and then at one point you had to have an internet connection on 100% of the time you were playing the game for it to work... Steam not only did away with all that, but it was DRM that came with an "offline mode" that let you play your games offline.

--

There has been a HELL of a lot to criticize Steam & Valve for over the years, but if you look at the big picture Steam continues to be a godsend to the gaming community. (pic related, Steam is LITERALLY the only program I've ever had the progress bar go BACKWARDS on me)

This user is correct
People are quick to forget the bad and to regard the good as default

what the fuck, this is literally plebbit

Is that gif real? That's fuckin hilarious

I pirate most games so I don't have Steam making things easy
And having to deal with problems like that was and us really rare

as a fan if Ricochet this depresses me

Well, most games I played back then didn't require patches to be playable. And I prefer updating my DirectX once in a while to every game installing its own brand of DirectX every time I reinstall it. And you still have to dance around some issues with the older games - Steam won't install legacy PhysX support for Dark Messiah (or whatever game I had to install it for), or some outdated codec, it won't disable Logitech mouse drivers so you could play FEAR, etc.

Steam servers are pretty cool, though.

Yes. Known figures in multiple industries would rather associate with it than this degenerate shit hole. That isn't to say I like reddit or anything. That's just how it goes.

obviously not what i mean you newfag

He ain't lyin, refunded a game recently and it only took a few hours to get my money back instead of several days.

Not him and i don't like reddit myself but fuck if you can't handle literally just text screenshots of plebbit you should really just kill yourself.

Feel free to copypaste the text into a google doc if you're really that triggered

How is
>put cd in
>install
>enter cd key
more difficult than
>download 30GB game
>install
>download 2GB of patches
>install

Because
>Put in disc
>Install
>Put in Disc 2
>Install
>Repeat as necessary
>Entery CD key

Isn't as easy as

>Click twice
>Wait ten minutes
>Play game

Holy shit installing Crysis off 4 DVDs was god-awful.

Steam refund is honestly the best feature I've had in a gaming service

>Buy Dishonored 2
>Fucking piece of shit wont run on my rig
>refund
>get money in no less than 5 hours

>this thread
Fuck off, Reddit. No one on Sup Forums calls Gabe based anymore.

>game wont run on my piece of shit
ftfy

You are very good at adopting and repeating the opinion of the majority

Does anyone remember how much of a chore it was to patch Half-Life before Steam?

I would just download that .8.4 or 84 or whatever it's called cumulative patch from PlanetPhillip. Easy. As a bonus, the game wasn't fucked back then like it is with newer Steam patches.

All I ever had to do to patch my games was click the battle.net button

Remember when Gabe really was our guy and Sup Forums visited him for his birthday?

What happened? Where did it all go wrong?

t. fellow oldfag

Eh I think you're mis-remembering, friend. Prior to ~2009 (when the Orange Box came out and Steam was becoming the default platform), it was pretty common to spend 40 minutes installing a game between "INSERT DISC 2, THEN PRESS OKAY", entering the CD-KEY, and then going to get the latest patch. Even if you don't count the time it took for the installer to read the CD, it would take a solid 20 minutes of clicking through prompts and physically changing discs to get a game ready to play. Maybe troubleshooting was rare but Steam undoubtedly streamlined the whole process.

IIRC, last game I pirated was Resident Evil 5 which, even cracked, used Steam to install and update. THAT is how influential Steam is.

... Obviously it wasn't literally from Steam, but that's literally what it felt like. No lie, there was a period circa 2005 where I couldn't play Counter-Strike: Source (CSS) on my computer for 5 months followed by my friend being unable to play CSS on his computer for 4 months. An entire school-year, I couldn't play CSS with my friend because Steam was so shitty. When it first came out the damn thing was absolutely riddled with bugs, you'd never know the original Steam from what it's like now. Holy shit was it ever a pain in the ass when they first came out with it.

You're preaching to the choir man, I downloaded Jade Empire on Steam and had to use a third-party file as a workaround before the game would even fucking launch. Same with with Lost Planet 2. It's total bullshit that I can purchase a game that is literally unplayable without a third-party hack, but my friend list, the community pages, the store, the sales... all of this outweighs one or two older games with show-stopping flaws. I have easily gained the $7 I spent on those games in value from Steam over the years, I will give them the benefit of the doubt and trust them to fix it in time.

except dishonored 2 was and still is very unoptimized

Sup Forums's visit for his birthday was literally the catalyst that made them realize most of their playerbase is an unreliable market at best. That's why they started to focus a lot more on bigger corporate schemes.

Its not good, but when I can run RE7, the Witcher 3, MGSV, and Quantum Break on 45 fps on high settings whereas Dishonored 2 is giving me single digits despite all the tweaking, then it's the game's problem, not my system. The mouse acceleration being tied to framerate was also fucking stupid.

Retards like you who are incapable of reading minimum specs should be forever banned from refunds.

this. I remember pc gaming before Steam too

up until he goes full jew again with paid mods.

Got a gtx970, 16gb ram, and an i7 processor. The game still fucking makes me vomit because everytime you move there is this motion blur that you cant disable and the mouse speed is fucked up.

>be pc gamer back in the late 2000s when games start to increase in file size
>install 15gb game
>asks to insert disk 3
>continues installing
>"cannot read file textures.dat. File may be corrupted or write-protected."

Fuck

This, Sup Forums kills everything it touches
We got Kojima fired, we got Kamiya's game cancelled and killed Iwata

He also said that he was so deeply involved in HL production, that he basically can't play it without remembering and regretting all the stuff that didn't make it in.
Portal 2, on the other hand, he had a lot less involvement in.

I guess that's why I was waiting merely 6 days the last time I sent a ticket, instead of one month

>Day of Defeat will never get a a new game

>There are two WWII games in development that starts with "Day" and also have Day of Defeat maps in them.

I dont get why everyone says valve support is shit. They refund your stuff right away without contacting them. Years ago even when their support was from a separate account i still got my shit refunded regularly when i asked them to.

Did anyone ask him how long before he thought the text from the ACCC lawsuit would be added to the steam homepage?

Welcome to 2003 Steam

>but back in the day you had to go to go through an installer for each individual game
Hardly a problem. Plus, nowadays, Steam installs 3-6 dependencies for the game to run
>then go to each individual developer to check if your game had a patch available
Games back then didn't require day one several Gb patch(es)
>DRM was obnoxious
True. Though some games on steam still require 3rd party DRM shit

Short summary of AMA

>L4D3 confirmed
>Expanded support
>new VR controllers
>major VR game(s)
>they are actually working on single player games
>New HL/Portal IP.

Because when I don't want a refund, instead of someone getting back to me I just keep getting sent to bullshit forum pages that don't fix my issue.

I decided to never drop my guard around Valve since the "paid mods" fiasco, since they obviously aren't the same as before, but I still can't deny that Steam was a godsend, in many ways. Also, they still did mostly good for the industry as a whole. It's just that now I am more likely to believe they're doing bullshit intentionally instead of thinking of them as incompetent but good-natured when they fuck up. Maybe it's a bit late and I should have seen the signs earlier, but still.
In any case, if I could name two main things I am thankful to them for, then it would be:
1) Fixing game distribution in my shitty third-world country. The prices are actually reasonably adjusted, it allows to buy a lot of games that would never get here on their own and it even allows me to choose English as the language instead of sticking with the shitty translations when I know English perfectly anyway.
2) I recently switched to Linux because I like it and was willing to give up some games for it, so I started to appreciate the campaign Valve put in to make Linux somewhat less of a shitfest for gaming. Overall, they were massively beneficial for Linux ecosystem too, especially drivers, which is nice.

>we've grown our Support staff by roughly 5x
So they have five people now. Neat.

>Wait ten minutes
Australian here. I fucking hate you.

Half-Life was a mistake
- Valve fat fuck

Short short summary of AMA:
>new games incoming?
yes
>what games?
yes
>3?
donuts?
>movies?
I like mlp
>update and bug fix csgo when
don't worry. we’re adding servers all the time.
>gaben pls
bla bla bla bye bitch

the end

Australian here, NBN is awesome m8

Why the fuck do you don syndrome retards need support on Steam?

>buy game
>like it, play it
>don't, return it

Australian here, NBN is better than shit, but it's still at least 10 hours for D44M.

autism: the post

>Hardly a problem. Steam installs 3-6 dependencies for the game to run
Rose-tinted glasses, my friend, and I'd rather have Steam install those dependencies automatically than work through an INSTALL-SHIELD WIZARD.
>Games back then didn't require day one several Gb patch(es)
They absolutely required worse. With Steam, when you start to download a game it'll give you the most up-to-date version. It may take a while to download but you know what you're getting ahead of time. Back in the days of CD-ROMs you'd get bullshit like
>CD contains version 1.03
>download "CUMULATIVE PATCH FOR VERSIONS 1.00-1.04, UPGRADE TO 1.10"
>install patch
then you'd still have to
>download "CUMULATIVE PATCH FROM 1.10 TO 1.18"
>install patch
I'd forgotten this until you mentioned it but I distinctly remember some games requiring you to download multiple patches and install them in order before you could install the latest patch. IIRC the GotY & Boxed Sets were the worst about this.

>some games on steam still require 3rd party DRM shit
I hate this as well but if we're being perfectly honest you have to blame the publisher. Steam has no control over what publishers decide to use as DRM, and I believe that without Steam we'd see a lot more Ubisofts and Games-For-Windows-Live bullshit.

Make no mistake, GabeN is a savvy businessman who'd love nothing more than to get free money all the time. What you have to give him credit for is continual innovation to drive profits. He said it himself in one of his previous reddit AMA's
>If you're calling me greedy you have to at least give me credit for being greedy in the long run by ADDING VALUE rather than short-greedy.
I'm paraphrasing, but the point is that he works hard to provide value to his customers (us). Valve has had plenty of opportunity to dick people over but they consistently choose to create a strong brand over taking the short-term profits.

Here's an article about EXACTLY what we're talking about:
gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-04-27-gabe-newell-to-the-internet-you-need-a-more-robust-valve-is-evil-hypothesis

GabeN himself:
>"If you are going to ascribe everything we do to being greedy, at least give us credit for being greedy long (value creation) and not greedy short (screwing over customers)."

So long as we, the gamers, make our needs clear, we have nothing to fear from our Lord GabeN.

go kiss gaben ass

>10 hours
>being so poor you don't get tier 5

>He said it himself in one of his previous reddit AMA's

That´s what a psychologist would call confimation bias.
He admits nothing, he even demands that you call him a lesser form of the insult you chose when you insult him.

B T F O
T
F
O

Ye really cute answer Gabe. Where is the fucking game you fat fuck?

Not necessarily. There are still decision which won't cause a massive backlash or shit on Valve's turf but which would sacrifice something they don't care about.
Such as the paid mods. Not a bad thing for Valve, a bad thing for the community and the ecosystem.
Or the stuff Google does with spying and advertising. Doesn't hurt them, generates very limited bad reputation (since nobody believes privacy is a thing that matters), massively ups their revenue, overall probably a detriment to society.
Still, it is a good thing they are unlikely to just blow everything up and outright be evil. Then again, companies change, but I guess for now Valve is not really "bad".

>at least give us credit for being greedy long (value creation) and not greedy short (screwing over customers)."

Fuck off.

Valve has positioned themselves as the gatekeepers, the people you have to pay to access something someone else has created. That's not value creation, that's value usurpation.

Never coming out. Valve doesn't make games anymore, remember?

>>download 30GB game
>>install
>>download 2GB of patches
>>install
when does this happen?

Imagine living a life where you are conditioned to hate and fear a website of all the things.
Website that has nothing to do with your everyday life, it won't hurt you, it won't kill your dog but you still live in fear because of it.
Imagine someone mentioning yhe sites name in public. You feel your pulse going up, you start sweating and having stomach pains. You are desperately resisting urge to screech autistically because you are in public.
You are like Pavlovs dogs 2.0 living in fear and hate due to you cracking under a peer pressure, anonymous one of all the things.
What an awful life it has to be.

I hear horror stories of Steam support but the one time I actually needed them they were very helpful.

>argument with friend after I crafted all his TF2 items and threw shit away
>me being afraid I changed my passwords to email and steam
>forgot password to both
>sent valve an email from an entirely different address telling them what happened
>"No problem pal, here's your account back"

Quick response time too. This was over six years ago.

>multiple cumulative patches
i remember updating NWN and it was never this bad, there was always 1 patch that could take you from disc version to current, what shitty companies put out version 1.01 to 1.05 and 1.05 to 1.08 ect?

>Wait ten minutes
Wait 2 days you mean

>check replies
>nobody flinging shit and people discussing in a civilized manner
Have I stumbled into the bizarro Sup Forums?

This, I see a lot of fucking banter but if you want to put yourself up for an AMA let's talk about what products you are planning to offer, at least publish half life 3 for someone else to make and fuck up instead of sitting on a game you niggers intentionally put sequel bait at the end of

>what shitty companies put out version 1.01 to 1.05 and 1.05 to 1.08 ect
plenty of them

Also NWN had a special launcher which would automatically download patches if I remember right

be glad you can even play the white mans creations in the first place, third world shitskin

This board is pretty ass most of the time but it tends to be a bit better during the very early morning hours when the children and plebs are asleep.