So tell me /v

So tell me /v.

What was vanilla WoW like?

Was it really a grindfest with unbalanced pvp as they say?

I have absolutely no idea cuz i was a poor kid back then and we had no internet so i had no chance to play at all.

I can imagine the community was stronger and talked to each other more than now.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=BUAI6ABS3-U
youtube.com/watch?v=bdrzFv1B1NM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>unbalanced

Blizzard games are always that.

go play elysium and find out

it was an actual rpg and not a "press 1 to win" game

Most MMO aspects of the game have always been shitty, but it was fun working your way through Azeroth with characters that use moves from WC3 heroes.

I mostly give it credit for the bigass dungeon complexes like anything in the Blackrock. That was neat and hasnt been done like that ever since vanilla because TBC fucked dungeons up forever.

Shit like the AQ event was also neat, but they shouldve done more like that.

>it was an actual rpg
No. The game was always shit for actual roleplaying. World is too static, nothing you do changes it.

GOAT

m.youtube.com/watch?v=BUAI6ABS3-U

grindfest with most good gear gated by party requirements

unbalanced and based on the card game models of "flavor of the patch". shamans for example being gods with frost shock early, until other classes shined over them in subsequent patches. Kept min/maxers rotating specs/builds.

Contrary to now where everything is handed to you, and they nerf everything until it's no longer fun.

That's some good keks right there

Holy shit this was funny.

youtube.com/watch?v=bdrzFv1B1NM

The hero returns.

>Those sound effects
Gets me everytime

Hmmm, ya it was more grind like, but in a good way. The game was much slower and tedious than it was today but it felt much bigger and immersive.

For example, the vast majority of zones had only 1 flight path (and one graveyard), usually in an inconvenient location, and with your 1st mount at level 40, and saving gold very difficult, theres a LOOOOT of running to do.

Saving gold was harder, because of a few reasons, gear was hard to get, lots of shit stats (+spirit everywhere) so you had to buy food or ammo as well as repair frequently. Rogues had to buy poisons, casters had to buy reagents, warriors had expensive repair bills.

All these tedious crap in the end was kind of a chore, but in a good way, because you felt a lot of depth keeping your character maintained. Before going out and adventuring, you had to think ahead.

"Where, am I going, what am I going to need to take with me?"

Hell with no group finder or a way to warp to dungeons, if you wanted an item upgrade from a specific dungeon, sometimes you had to traverse enemy territory just to get to the dungeon.

The big problem I feel is that, once your a real fucking adult and have more responsibilities than school or a part time job, getting anywhere in the game wasn't very realistic, but when you saw another player covered in epic armor and weapons it had a real "wooooah" effect.

Holy shit i cant stop laughing so hard after this

andybody know that soundpack?

Idk man I started playing in Tbc because my pussy friends wouldn't play until then. If it's anything like elysium though yes it's a fucking grindfest even before hitting the endgame.

a terrible game compared to modern standards.

But it had caught on with the right community at the right time. Private servers are just not the same, the early 2000s internet era is the real vanilla WoW experience.

Those were probably just edited in for the video

Wrath probably the closest they have gotten to balance.

>Started playing vanilla WoW on a single core celeron, 5200fx, and a 14 inch crt at 1024x768
Boy those were the days

>horde warrior
>first mmo

Everyone was always asking me to do things I couldn't do and getting mad at me when I failed to do them.

Nope, watch other video and there's same soudns for same skills like yell for warriro shout, casts etc

It was grindier, especially levening as you ran out of content around lvl 45, but it wasnt a grindfest until high end raiding.

From a technical standpoint it was vastly inferior to what anybody would be used to with modern standards.

There was tons of imbalance and you did in fact need to do tons of grinding.

But people didn't care because standards were different then, it was lots of peoples first exposure to an MMO. And what made it fun wasn't smooth gameplay or good graphics, it was the sense of actually feeling like a part of another world. You didn't mind grinding and putting tons of work into things because if you accomplished something you could actually build a reputation among other people and be recognized for it.

Was very fun, desu. Played it from exit until we cleared all raids multiple times, then I quit and never played it again.

The best part was from 1 to 59, at least for me. The open world PvP was very unbalanced but very fun at the same time, especially because it was also about groups.
Quests were abundant, and to be fair there was almost no grind to reach 60, except the usual quest 'kill 20 mobs'.

Raids were cool, but they got very boring quivkly after you learnt what to do. Then it became more of a chore, a scheduled workout, than a game. So bye bye.

It was a simpler time.

>Those fucking TCAP soundclips

It was fun because I had a guild full of fun people and we did fun shit all of the time. We made it fun. Now it's fucking boring because I have a guild that meets twice a week to raid and it's all fucking business. The only thing anyone ever does is grind endlessly for a few more item levels.

Vanilla WoW very nostalgic thinking back on it, though much of it was a mess for most who actually had a life outside of the game.

4 hour spamfests in Alterac Valley is not my idea of a fun time.