What are some good spaceship games where you have a spaceship and fly around and do stuff?

What are some good spaceship games where you have a spaceship and fly around and do stuff?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f4zTGaOAs7M
community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/introducing-clone-states-and-the-future-of-access-to-eve-online/
youtube.com/watch?v=a9OCaGFoQEU
forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/10/10/star-citizens-squadron-42-single-player-campaign-delayed-indefinitely/#1e6ed1012e0d
youtube.com/watch?v=IMrAWgTHpO0&index=4&list=PLRMcXkadosW43B18ZSbYFqBnFn2myQwRw
youtube.com/watch?v=AKJQrU04DZ8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No man's sky

X3
Eve online
wing commander
no man's sky

Error dangerous

freelancer is #1

Xd

elite dangerous

Space Wolves
Starpoint Gemini

Go pro, play Eve Online

X3: Terran Conflict

Dead genre, get over it.

Elite: Dangerous.

X3

you can make a space factory that automatically produces and ships hamburgers

you can then use this money to build a factory that automatically produces cluster missiles

use the cluster missiles to genocide aliens, and build hamburger and missile factories above their worlds

for something a little different, try space rangers reboot

American way of life.

Are the Starpoint Gemini games any good? Which should I get, if so?

Rebel Galaxy duh

I played 2 for a while. I had a decent amount of fun, though I never did get around to finishing the game.

Some things to keep in mind:
1.Capturing ships is far and away the most efficient way to make money. There are things like bounty hunter missions, delivery missions, you can try being a space trucker, but they all make a fraction of the cash that capturing ships gets you.

2.The voice acting is godawful. Like worse than star ocean: last hope bad.

3.The game does not give you much in the way of information about the stats of ships and what they do. You'll have to do a fair bit of external research to figure out what does what and the ships you're interested in.

If none of that worries you to much, it'll give you a good 20 hours of amusement.

X3:TC

Are there any promising looking upcoming games?

X3TC with Litcubes Universe Mod.

Hardcore mode: Use Mayhem 2.0 with Litcube's.

>X3
Heard that had a lot of issues.

EVE, but it's pay to win.

No, it's pay to lose.

The only winning move in EVE is not to play.

Are there any other games like Mass Effect (ME1) or is Bioware still the only company that have done anything with the genre?

define what you mean by "like mass effect"

Starmade
You can actually build your own ship Minecraft style

Sci-fi ARPG, with great narrative? KOTOR's are great too.

Don't play X3 Reunion, get X3 Terran Conflict/ Albion Prelude.

Play through the Terran Conflict campaign, then play Litcubes Universe mod.

Motherfucking Freelancer. I picked that shit up with no expectations and had the best fucking time exploring different galaxies, shooting down motherfuckers... if a modernised version happens that isn't some sort of kickstarter sham or watered down I'd be all over it.

Rebel galaxy
Fun soundtrack too
youtube.com/watch?v=f4zTGaOAs7M

Thanks.

You might be thinking of X Rebirth. X3 Terran Conflict is god-tier.

Wasn't this 'free' on PS+ not long ago? I think I added it to my library. Is it any good?

>want to get rodina
> never on sale

I just recommended it what do you think.

It is okay.

EvE online would be nice without the monthly sub, 10 bucks a year and I may come back.

Elite Dangerous looks very promising, but its still a work in progress and often times very buggy, from maps not loading, missions automatically failed. On the upside it runs pretty damn good on high settings on a laptop and the lack of content just adds to the intregue.
It needs a TON more ships, considering the blatent simularity to X-Rebirth tons of Alien ships and alien tech tree's would fit in perfectly.
also the 30 bucks is not at all bad in my opinion.

X-Rebirth has a perticularly high learning curve, but when You get to, I want to build Spaceships and make the AI not retarded, the game quickly loses its luster.

>X-Rebirth

Forget that Rebirth even exists and get X3TC/AP

>10 bucks a year and I may come back.
what
do you just want everything for free?
babby

community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/introducing-clone-states-and-the-future-of-access-to-eve-online/
it's also free anyways nigger

>Got X-rebirth on sale
>Modded the crap out of it
>had some fun building an economy in DeVries
>do the rest of the story
>it fucking ends on a cliffhanger

FFFF

Sort of but not really. The limitations on alpha clones are such that you're basically playing a demo. And by playing i mean loading it up every few days to set your skill queue as it slowly increases.

You'll never reach a point where you're not just cannon fodder.

Star Control 2
Escape Velocity Nova
Starflight

this

youtube.com/watch?v=a9OCaGFoQEU

you just can't be happy can you
it's a fucking mmo, they've always been pay to play
stop being a poor faggot

>paying actual money to play bored psychopath chat room: the game

Dark star one

maybe you just can't handle real space games

>if a modernised version happens that isn't some sort of kickstarter sham or watered down I'd be all over it.

Can you really call Star Citizen a sham at this point? I get that they're squeezing mentally ill people into giving them autism bux in return for ships, but at the end of the day, the rest of us non-donors will be getting an insanely tuned and content rich Space Sim created by the guy who designed Freelancer.

>Can you really call Star Citizen a sham at this point?
Yes.

forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2016/10/10/star-citizens-squadron-42-single-player-campaign-delayed-indefinitely/#1e6ed1012e0d

Keep telling yourself that

Did the uptick from ftp end yet? Thresh must be super high.

Im an idiot please spoonfeed me the link to info if this x3 game

>Did the uptick from ftp end yet? Thresh must be super high.
what do you mean

>No Fractured Space mentioned anywhere int he thread
I know its a PvP game Sup Forums but come on it's pretty good

having no set release date does not mean its in development limbo. It's clearly being developed and its receiving monthly updates. How you'd call that a sham is a mystery to me.

Uptick from ftp: people trying out the game since it's free to play right now causing population to rise

Thresh: People getting burned out on the game and leaving

No it isn't.

>Uptick from ftp: people trying out the game since it's free to play right now causing population to rise
I've seen sunday levels of players on weekdays
>Thresh: People getting burned out on the game and leaving
haven't noticed

Star Trek Online is amazing if you like the series. A bit janky but lots of content.

I don't know why I keep going back to that game

The ship damage system and weapons are awesome.
The ship designs are okay.
The gameplay is MOBA trash f2p with heavy grind.
Overall it's very meh.

>Escape Velocity Nova
Seconding this, underrated gem

For me it's because space combat is kind of fun.

Shame that ground combat is such utter trash and the game continues to move towards ptw as time goes on.

Fuck I had forgotten about The Mandate. It seemed pretty intersting. Is it just another kickstart scam destined to never be released?

Now that freelancer's source code has been out for a bit, are there any cool super advanced FL mods / total conversions / etc?

I fucking loved Freelancer

>EvE online would be nice without the monthly sub,

I've been playing for a month as an Alpha (played it for about two weeks in 2009 with friends) and it's just not a fun game.

Everything but the gameplay is fun, but the core mechanic of combat is shit, and even flying around is kinda shit.

I mean Bookmarks are such an unintuitive / clumsy thing and yet they're fucking essential. I don't even have a problem with the concept of needing to keep track of points in space, but I mean design an actual window + interface thing like an actual video game would do, instead of a fucking python browser window list.

Starsector, but I'm waiting for the next update before I jump in

it's not for everybody

>it's not for everybody

It's not for anybody.

I've never played a game more passive than EVE, you mostly AFK while the game plays itself.

In PvP-ish settings you occasionally check your dscan, and the only time anyone kills someone is if they were AFK or they elected to participate in a defacto duel (likely knowing immediately who was going to win by whether or not their ship is Faction / Storyline ).

The saddest part of EVE's story is that the playerbase has gotten used to the sorry state of the game they're "playing", when you bring up faults or flaws with the UI or game mechanics, people offer their retarded workarounds and then pretend that it's okay for the game to be deeply and fundamentally flawed, that you should just put on some netflix while you play.

>waah I need to do things all the time or else I get bored
babby

Has that Teir 1 motherfucker been working on his game?

>doesn't want to actually do anything while playing a game
eve players are weird.

> X3

How am I supposed to take a game with an emoticon title seriously?

I used to love doing Space PvP back in the day with my Klingon carrier and a few of my friends. now I get into a pvp queue, I enter it and I get destroyed in like 20-30 seconds. Anyway new Ep starts on the 26th and I think the anniversary event is somewhere around there as well

Oolite (open source Elite clone)
X3:TC or AP
Freelancer
Descent: FreeSpace series but it's story and level based, not open world.
Diaspora total conversion for FreeSpace is one of the best space combat experiences out there but it's not forgiving at all.

Everything else is too old, rough around the edges or unfinished early access shit.
Elite Dangerous has a solid flight model but immersion breaking networking transitions and lacks depth. It's also plagued by many awful design choices and an atrocious business model. If you think Oolite has the greatest gameplay ever then give it a go as it's a more modern and streamlined version.
StarSector needs dozens of mods to have any content, doesn't get updates in a reasonable amount of time and as such isn't worth buying, merely pirating.
Rebel Galaxy is shallow and gets old quick.
Evochron series with Legacy being the latest is initially complex but has awful controls, UI and various obscure mechanics that make it a chore to get into and you'll quickly grow bored unless you are exceptional at keeping yourself motivated to play for no reason but making your own adventure.
You can try Starpoint Gemini but the production value is very low and it feels cheap and flawed.
For pure visuals you can get Space Engine but it's not a game, just a tech demo.

There's nothing coming up that I expect to be decent. Most indie titles are pretty mediocre and lack in production value accross the board and the overfunded StarCitizen is dying to a lack of developer vision of a final product and is merely marketed separate concept demos that do not make a great game when put together.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused about X3.
1) Do I need to play the first two games to understand the story at all?
2) Why are AP and TC recommended but not Reunion?
3) Does it end on a cliffhanger? I've found mixed reports.

EverSpace.
Solid arcade space game where you get to fly and have fun shooting stuff.

I am frankly surprised nobody else mentioned it.

>Elite Dangerous looks very promising, but its still a work in progress

Really? Two years and an expansion pack after release and you apologist fucktards still say the same thing you said in beta?

kys

>tfw no space combat halo game

The ship designs are so cool and all the space battles in the novels are fantastic

1.Not really, the intro movie gets you more or less up to speed
2.Reunion is mission based while AP and TC are space roamers
3.I honestly don't remember because the plot is largely irrelevant. You'll spend a fuckton more time getting your space factories set up correctly and managing freighter routes than worrying about the story.

Cheers!

I came here to post this.

youtube.com/watch?v=IMrAWgTHpO0&index=4&list=PLRMcXkadosW43B18ZSbYFqBnFn2myQwRw

>Tfw remembering all the comfy night time threads of this before it started getting flooded with "GO TO FUCKING /VG/ REEE" posts

Elite Dangerous is okay for a few days/weeks/months, and has some potential to become better over time, or finally turn into complete dog shit.
Try to get it on a sale.

Rebel galaxy was ok. I didn't like how upgrades determine basically everything and ship hulls aren't anywhere near as important.

Are you hype for the new Lukari flying saucer?

When starsector+ fractured into multiple mods I kinda lost interest.
Anything new in the past year or two?

I love me some open source games, thanks, gonna have to check that out

They are in RIP state.
They got new community manager and a bunch of new staff, said they were gonna re-do some stuff and drop few things.
Personally i abandoned all hope as soon as i saw their community manager.

youtube.com/watch?v=AKJQrU04DZ8

On one hand that's a good thing.
That way you can always keep a ship that looks neat.

>Litcubes Universe mod
what does that do?

fug

X3 TC/AP is literally the best space sim going. It doesn't get any better I'm afraid.

yeah I've been using the Krenim science vessel ever since they gave it away and before that I used the Dyson one

I was using the...tennhauser? think i got it in the first system. Anyway, the thing that killed the game for me was looking at how much the higher tier upgrades cost and seeing how many mounts are on the bigger ships. The amount of grinding it would require to get a bigger hull with higher dps was too much for me.

1) Don't play it for the story, it's dogshit and optional. People play X games for the universe simulation with all its trading, stations, combat and faction shenanigans.
2) What X brought to the table over other space trade combat games was that you could control more than one ship to have a fleet of (automated) trading and combat ships. X3 for example allows you to build own manufacturing plants in space and hook them up to other ones to create a local manufacturing chain and generate you revenue this way. This relies on the surrounding economy and that is simulated accross the galaxy. If you starve a system of certain resources by killing NPCs transporting goods the local pricing begins to change or production grind to a halt. Rebirth has none of that and has no deep universe simulation and you can not change ships either as you are stuck with a single one that is upgraded with a levelling system. It's console friendly gameplay that removed the universe simulation and substitutes streamlined progression, it's why X fans hated Rebirth and the game could never be fixed with updates - it's fundamentally flawed and too shallow.
TC and AP have different story and therefore different factions in some systems but the universe map is pretty much the same. The gameplay is also nearly identical but AP has a few new features while TC had a special faction. There's no reason to play X3 vanilla and there's no reason to get TC if you have AP or vice versa. It's minor differences but the core game is identical.
3) Yes.

>Oolite

What the FUCK, why have I never heard of this before? This looks amazing.