Metroid vs Fire Emblem and Nintendo's Priorities

Why is Fire Emblem considered a Nintendo staple franchise and gets continuous game developments while Metroid doesn't?

They're both rather niche genres (turn-based RPG that panders who weebs vs Metroidvania, though Metroid is part of the invention of the genre while Fire Emblem isn't a genre spearheader or something) that don't have massive appeal to the general public compared to things like Mario or Splatoon. And Fire Emblem game sales never broke through 1 million until Awakening and Fates, and they both fail to reach 2 million though they got close. The best-selling Metroid games are actually around 2 million, close to 3 million but the worse ones (excluding Federation Force since it's like the Revelations of Metroid) sold much more than the less popular Fire Emblem games. In fact, not counting Trilogy for the Wii since it's not a new game, 8 out of 11 Metroid games break the 1 million mark. The ones that are either: a spin-off, a remaster, and a bundle of multiple old games.

So why does Nintendo focus more on Fire Emblem instead? With the large numbers of Metroidvania indie games out there and how much respect people generally have for the franchise, it's clear that there's still a market for this genre. So why are they ignoring it?

because sakamoto

More waifus

This. Apparently this is all people want from the Japanese market and now Fire Emblem Warriors is a thing Koei is going to full waifu with it like they ALWAYS do.

You're looking at just sales. Maybe Fire Emblem costs significantly less to make? Plus, FE has a shit ton of DLC.

>Panders who weebs
*to weebs

And it 8 out of 11 including the Trilogy for Wii. Shit I'm getting too sleepy here.

Because FE probably has way lower development costs and thus higher return of investment

Because it's easy to make and people actually buy them

The lowest-selling FE games have about 80,000 copies sold at max. I don't think that'll evem give them any profit, most likely incurring losses actually. The series was in a zombie state close to shutting down before Awakening saved its ass by going to more extreme lengths to pander to weebs. Metroid games never sold less than 100,000.

I feel that this is just a case of Jap devs beinf extremely dismissive of the Western market and only caring about the one in their homeland.

>All these typos
I want to kill myself.

No one will buy metroid after other m

You're focusing on the entirety of FE and the entirety of Metroid. The series has gone through drastic changes. It doesn't make sense to bring up NES fire emblem or even gameboy Fire Emblems.

Metroid has changed so much over the years. Nintendo obviously doesn't know what to do with it.
Personally I would give Metroid to Monolith Soft, just for the exploring experience, maybe in colaboration with another studio.

AM2R proves that people still care about Metroid. Heck even Nintendo themselves make videos debating which game is superior, Super or Prime. If they actually develop a non-bullshit Metroid game, the fans would definitely buy it.

The best-selling Metroid and Fire Emblem games are both the more modern games. And 2D Metroid (not NES and GB style) and Prime's gameplay is in no way, obsolete. The controversial changes in Other M and Fates are vocally opposed by fans as well.

They're much easier to shit out.

Metroid is either handled by one of nintendo's r&d teams or more recenlty retro. Theres a huge amount of ip those r&d teams could develop for. Meanwhile intelligence systems develops fire emblem, which is basically 1 of 3 major franchises that developer is known for.

Think of it this way, if iS isnt making paper mario or advance wars, they're making fire emblem. Consider how many other more lucrative IP nintendo R&D has access to at any given time, and why they dont choose to develop a Metroid game.

There isn't a team at Nintendo that does Metroid anymore. The old one that did Fusion and Zero Mission is no more.

Retro don't make good Metroid games, though if Sakamoto oversaw the development of one made by them then it could turn out good. He's the only one who understands the *feeling* of Metroid gameplay.

I hope they will look at Sonic Mania and learn something from it and SEGA. In a lot of cases, the fans know best.

This probably. unless they were to make a retro style Metroid game.

Japan hates Metroid.

It's as simple as that.

Because Prime-like games are expensive and sell bad.
Fire Emblem is cheap to make and (after Awakening) is selling super well.
Also, Fire Emblem used to be much like metroid, skipping console generations and whatnot. Is just that now it became a success

Metroid is trash

And yet waifus clearly aren't moving the FE games nearly as well as Metroid games.

Gee you tell me.

I can guarantee that a sub-par srpg would cost way less to make than the modern Metroid games.

You married best girl right?

Metroid isn't easy to make, and there is only waifu.
FE is easy and there are a lot of waifus

>units sold = profits
That's not how it works

Jesus fuck that body is amazing.

How can 3D grils even compete?

Last two Metroids bombed.

Last two Fire Emblems are the highest selling in the series worldwide.

It's not fucking rocket surgery.

>surgery

That's the joke.

Fates and Awakening have both broken 2 million sales by now.

The reason Nintendo has bumped up FE is because the last two games have been massive hits that were well received critically and financially. They also make a lot of money from DLC.

Metroid likely hasn't gotten a new game since Other M as Other M bombed. It isn't like Metroid isn't also considered a Nintendo flagship title either.

Metroid has a bunch of things going against it.

It was always a C-tier franchise. It's on par with Kirby.

It's not a series that's conducive to DLC, like Fire Emblem.

None of the games since MP2 have done amazingly well in terms of sales. Prime 1 is a outlier.

Retro don't want to work on the series any more.

Sakamoto fucked up Other M.

Tanabe fucked up Federation Force.

I hope you guys are ready for Koei DLC up the ass.

I'm training my asshole to take it all like I'm Proxy Paige.

Because Fire Emblem is a better series.
>Fire Emblem at its best, Thracia 776, is better than Metroid at its best, Super Metroid
>Fire Emblem at its worst, Gaiden and Awakening, is better than Metroid at its worst, II and Other M
Plus, FE obviously has room to grow considering how many great new mechanics Conquest developed. Where can a new 2D Metroid even go to not be a rehash of Super or Fusion?
>mfw nostalgiafags who have never even played an FE game besides the casual meme ones like Awakening or 7 will call this post bait

This. I found it hilarious when people were worried about which outfit design and characters were going to be in the game.

>Oh boy I really hope they have X main lord from Y numbered mainline game.
Like Koei would miss an opportunity to nickel and dime you for being a series fan.

>Fire Emblem at its worst
>Gaiden and Awakening
Kill yourself. I bet you're a GBAbby.

Gotta spend money to make money

Say it with me and maybe it'll stick better in your head this time around

Nintendo
is
a
JAPANESE
COMPANY

that sells many of its products to

JAPANESE
PEOPLE

and most Japanese video game fans are

MASSIVE
FUCKING
WEEBS

>calling actual Japs "weeaboo"
Holy shit, the Twitterfag invasion is real. Fuck off, newfag.

I think Nintendo has no idea what to do with Metroid. Their last two games sold like shit in comparison to development costs and garnered a lot of criticism.

On the other hand, I think they like Fire Emblem because the gameplay lends itself well to the pick up and go nature of the 3ds

They do know what to do. Other M was a step in the right direction. Waifu fags hated it. It was honestly better than Prime 3. Nintendo saw it such a huge failure that they went back to Prime with Federation Force because that's what they thought Metroidfags really wanted.

Fed Force plays EXACTLY like every other Prime game. It has the same feeling. It just happens to look chibi, but the atmosphere, sound, controls, etc are all Prime.

Metroid games were never as cheap as Fire Emblem.

Fire Emblem have been cheap as fuck. Especially those remakes for the DS where they used prerended 3D for sprites so they didn't have to spend money on a animation team. Those games had a teams smaller than 30 fucking people working on them and they pumped them in less than a year each they could have made like ten of those games for the price of one new Metroid.

Because FE fans don't act like such demanding dicks, who complain about every game they get.

Maybe of they stopped with the endless fucking tutorials, I'd play Fire Emblem. I can't fucking bear it, they shit out a barebones SRPG and then go on explaining how to move a character like I'm playing Aurora or some shit.

Don't care about Metroid, just came in here to blast FE.

>Because FE fans don't act like such demanding dicks, who complain about every game they get.
Even ignoring the retard GBAbabbies, this just isn't true, and for good reason.

It's a Nintendo game, they have to consider the normalfags and actual 12-year-olds.

Lots of people have suggested that Metroid just costs more to create, but on top of that, I'm sure Fire Emblem also has a hell of a lot more going for it in terms of selling merchandise. Even if there were just as many Metroid games as there were Fire Emblem games, and both series cost the same amount to produce and saw the same returns, Fire Emblem would still likely take the lead because it sells more merch. All of Nintendo's more active IPs are multimedia franchises. Even fucking F-Zero got an anime, not that those are all that profitable. Metroid's very themes make it less merchandisable.

Make the tutorial optional, problem solved. Grinds my gears in every game. Do they think nobody replays games? Who would want to sit through the tutorial every time?

If you can sell merchandise without net loss, it is worth it,since it keeps the IP relevant and is working as advertisement.

There has probably been a decision not to categorize people in-game based on their commitment or skill level. Hence no difficulty settings. It probably does affect sales as many normies overestimate themselves and drop a game. Take Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. People quit because it was too hard on normal.

I was under the impression that Fire Emblem did have difficulty settings, in fact, variable difficulty where you could pick your difficulty and additionally select how you want unit death to be handled.

Fire Emblem has more opportunities for spin offs

Development teams

IntSys has got FE covered, and it sells well enough for them to keep making them.

Metroid HAD retro, but then they started working on DK, which was just as successful. But Nintendo knew Metroid was still big, so they tried the franchise with Sakamoto + Team Ninja. That didn't pan out, so they let it sit for a while as Retro was still expanding dong. Once Next Level Games finished LM2, I guess they thought they'd get NLG to try their hand at a metroid spinoff. That didn't pan out either.

So it's back to Retro. Who knows, maybe they're working on Metroid Switch as we speak.

I think a lot of Nintendo's dead franchises are like this. The big question is whether you have the right people at the right time. Take f-zero. Nintendo apparently didn't have the right people during the GCN era, so they had Amusement Vision make it. When AM died, so did f-zero. Then there's Kid Icarus. which was dead for a long time until Sakurai became interested and revived it.

It's not surprising. Keep in mind they're casualfag srpgs. The only one in the series that's actually good as an srpg is 5. 9 with difficulty patch and 14C are I guess kinda passable, if you can stomache the faggotry of 14.

>Metroid HAD retro, but then they started working on DK, which was just as successful

DKCR outsold all their Metroid games combined.

What they should have done is hired that AM2R faggot gave him a modest team and budget and let him make 2D Metroid games.

Only 12, 13 and 14 let casuals turn permadeath off.

Yeah that sounds about right. So it's just as successful... and a tiny bit more.

Still, tropical dong did like, 1.5 million, which isn't AMAZING. Perhaps they'll give Retroid another chance.

That would be nice.

Honestly I would've liked it if they'd just let Next Level try making a sidescrolling metroid. I feel like they were wasted on an unsalvageably garbage concept like FF.

I guess Intelligent Systems has enough clout to push Fire Emblem and they're large enough to work on other more traditionally Nintendo things while having passion projects. Any Metroid project needs to get past Shigeru "It needs a gimmick" Miyamoto.

And to be fair even IS intended Awakening to be the last FE until it was an unexpected million seller.

Dong Freeze suffered from being on the Wii U only and from people's skepticism after R.

Tons of people bought R for Wii (or 3DS later) and then realized "Oh, fuck, this is a 6/10 dog of a game." That backlash hurt TF, even though TF is 8/10.

>And to be fair even IS intended Awakening to be the last FE until it was an unexpected million seller.
wrong, they got an ultimatum saying they had to sell well or lose their series. that's why a big part of awakening's marketing was "fire emblem used to be too difficult for you? not anymore!"

>unsalvageably garbage concept like FF
You know it's really not. It was just everything else around that game that was terrible. The artstyle, the platform, the fact that Nintendo can't online to save their lives. The timing being a game in a series that's been dormant for years and the previous game being what many fans considered an utter betrayal.

But the concept of a four man squad of federation troopers blasting aliens in the Metroid universe with mech suits really isn't that bad.

I wish they could have at least made them easier without also making them crap.

The GBA and DS Wars games are piss easy, but still fun. And IS did those. Granted, Wars sales weren't what they were aiming for, since Wars sales weren't good either.

Yeah that was a bit harsh, I'm just frustrated because it felt like a wasted opportunity.

Metroid is actually Nintendo
Fire Emblem is Intelligent System's flagship series. I really hope someone mentioned this already

FE is made by Intelligent Systems, Metroid doesn't have a dedicated team. Retro switched to DK and now is doing God knows what and Sakamoto works on different series.

>give Metroid to an open world games developer
sounds like a terrible idea

They don't really have anything to do with each other for the most part.

They just don't care about Metroid. They still let Monolithsoft make whatever and have been nurturing them for years and looking got them to grow even bigger.

I don't even know what the state of Retro is anymore.

Nintendo playing favoritism. Even back when FE was selling so poorly they'd have abandoned it like they've done many series, they still kept making them hoping its luck turn around. When it finally did in Awakening, they instantly started labeling it an important series and started forcing it even more.

Because Metroid has no appeal in Japan

With Awakening FE gained that in both Japan and America

It's as simple as that. Nintendo wants something that can grow in both their primary markets.

Also "you wish you could marry one of those cute male/female units? Well, now you can!"

Awakening was made for the idiot waifufag, and it paid off immensely. Now Fire Emblem is forever going to be a garbage dating sim with some strategic gameplay

Metroid shrunk over time.
Fire Emblem grew over time.

Plus you fuckers got a game last year.

See what surprises me is that they don't just hry some shitty Z team to just make some shit 2D game Metroidfags keep begging for. It'd probably sell 1m copies just because of those idiots being so thirsty for Samus' juices.

FF could have been a decent launch title on the Switch, if it had Metroid Prime 3's art style.

I have a feeling Dong Cool Runnings will get a Switch port, much like R got that 3DS port.

Intelligent Systems is owned by Nintendo.

IS is a jap stock company. Nintendo owns almost all of their stock. That alone legally makes IS and all IS properties the property of Nintendo. Nintendo also holds the FE copyright by way of owning IS. IS are in-house devs for Nintendo. Literally. Nintendo owns both buildings IS has operated from, the current one being right next to Nintendo HQ. FE is the IS flagship. It's also a Nintendo staple. IS are first party. Functionally and legally, they are Nintendo.

That's how jap companies work.

What a stupid question.
Someone pitched FE games that were feasible while no one knows what to do with Metroid. That's all it is, that's how it works.
Would you rather a constant stream of shit Metroid games about nothing for the sake of having them? This entitlement shit is stupid, you may as well demand Citizen Kane sequels every year because you like it.

so long story short, Fire Emblem is Intelligent System's flagship series. it's like complaining about Kirby getting games constantly

>Fire Emblem isn't a genre spearheader
Is this bait?
It's pretty much the first SRPG of note.

Fuck Sakamoto; his BS writing and directing of Other M is why we're in this drought. Dude is a hack writer, and needs to be kept at a distance from the series.

Retro Studios were able to help the series jump from 2D to 3D, when everyone thought it would be impossible. And the sales numbers don't lie.

>b-but Other M sold 1 milli-
It took at least a year or more for the game to reach 1 million sales. The Prime games sold much more in a shorter amount of time.

Donkey Kong is also a much more recognizable franchise and more appealing to a wider audience, as opposed to the darker, grittier nature of Metroid.

Not to mention Donkey Kong as a franchise hasn't had any successful games in a long ass time (think 64 was the series' last good game, but even then that game has some panning for the overwhelming collect-a-thon missions), so capitalizing on the nostalgia of DKC and the timing was just perfect.

Yup. It just doesn't matter, because Nintendo decides if more get made. IS has no say.

I was just clarifying since that guy was acting like Nintendo and IS are seperate, which you see all the time in these threads. Along with the stupid """""second party""""" meme.

Anyone have that food analogy copypasta from the last FE thread yesterday?

Do you think? Im incredibly excited for this game out of all the things it can be done with (swords battle, archery, magic, transform into a dragon, etc) having additional content heavy in dialogue would be awesome

>FE and Metroid fan walk into a 5 star restaurant
>FE orders a standard meal, since they just had some money issues and wants to be financially responsible
>Metroid orders a top-of-the-line dish, no expenses spared even though Metroid has never tasted that dish before
>FE is pleasantly surprised by their meal, a bit disappointed in some aspects but overall satisfied
>Metroid despises the meal, throws a tantrum, demands their money back
>A year passes
>FE has a new job, healthy lifestyle and a GF for making good, logical life choices
>Metroid's house forclosed, wife left him, living on the streets
>FE takes him out to eat one day
>Metroid keeps whining for the top dish again
>FE tries to help Metroid, gives him some money to get back on his feet
>Metroid has an autistic breakdown, screams, runs out the restaurant and cries about the evil restaurant for not respecting them

The directors of metroid went senile and it's easy to churn out shitty sRPGs

How the Fuck are metroid and Kirby c tier

What's b tier?

If he's only talking about Nintendo's treatment of series in gen 8, I could see calling Metroid c tier. Federation Force and a FF sports game spin-off aren't exactly high tier output.

Kirby should be b tier. Dead stuff like F-Zero would be d tier.

A tier would be Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Smash.

>best is Thracia
>GBAbby
are you retarded or just autistic?

What would you put higher than Thracia?

re-read the post you're responding to

100 million people had a DS and 100 million people had a Wii and Sakamoto somehow managed to blow it on both platforms.