What does Sup Forums prefer in terms of bullet calculation: What do you enjoy to play with more?

What does Sup Forums prefer in terms of bullet calculation: What do you enjoy to play with more?

Hitscan or actual ballistics?

Give game examples which have done it right.

Depends on the map scale

Long range in Battlefield felt realistic with actual projectiles

In smaller maps it literally does not matter

Mix of both, like doom

Depends on the game, Battlefield does ok with propjectiles but put it in Halo and you end up with the worst gameplay of the series (yes, I'm looking at you, Halo 3)

Ballistics for the most part. Hitscan only has situational uses, like railgun style weapons.

trying to imagine what would happen with cs if it had ballistics

Someone explain these words to me

I'd like ARMA style ballistics in a faster paced FPS, but nothing out there does projectile physics right.
A 123gr Hornady Zmax fired out of my AK will fly 300 yards in just under half a second. .496 seconds exactly, and at closer distances its so fast that it might as well be instant, the only practical effect you'd notice in a game is the arch of the trajectory.

It'd be cool if a game like something in the COD series made kids learn the basics of shooting, let you adjust zero, have to learn the DOPE for a given load, and gave maps with enough distance for it to matter, instead of being an inferior modern Quake Arena with single shot kills.

Not really much, as the engagements seldom happen at distances over 50m.

Hitscan - the target in your crosshair is hit instantly when you press the mouse button (or pull the trigger).
Ballistics/projectile - every bullet is treated as a physical object that have finite speed and its trajectory is affected by gravity, so you have to lead your targets and make corrections based on the distance to your target, the speed and direction in which it's moving.

This.

Though for a game that has modern firearms and is focused on close combat hitscan is fine.

>its trajectory is affected by gravity
Not necessarily.

hitscan precludes mutual kills.
There is no reason for hitscan unless it fits the weapon, like says.

If the projectile has its own source of acceleration, like a rocket, then yeah. If it's a bullet or a grenade, then it should have distance fall off.

that is entirely depending on the distance it travels, and the force behind the round, and the size of the round.

It doesn't matter.

Any calibre up from .45 subsonic can easily be treated in most games since the scale is too small to make a difference

I'm talking about how it's implemented in games. Not all games that have projectiles have bullet drop as well.

There's the hunting simulators and, uh, Sniper Elites and

I know there are games that simulate it. I'm just saying most that use projectiles don't. Then again, in most games projectiles aren't bullets, they're rockets or plasma or whatever else.

There are also weird cases where the bullets are hitscan but the tracers are projectile. Far Cry 1 and HL2 did that. Doom 3 had actual projectile bullets with varied velocities (but no bullet drop). Not like it mattered in the corridors too much.

stalker games, nothing feels better than perfectly compensating for bullet dropoff and hitting a headshot from across the map with a vintorez

I hated STALKER ballistics personally. Huge cones of fire made some of my favorite guns horrible.

Imagine if a game had guns with mechanical accuracy representative of real world rifles. Imagine if things printed realistic groups.
COD kiddies would throw a shit fit.

It was a roundabout way of asking for more games with bullet drop.

lowcrouch+aiming downs sights+single fire mode+ a good gun makes it alright, but yeah, vanilla weapons are a bit too inacurate, especially in CoP

Oh, well, STALKER was already mentioned ITT. You can mod it to make guns less sucky and also to make enemies less stupid, though I don't know the best combination of mods.

Lowcrouch is the dumbest mechanic ever, also IIRC in vanilla SoC ADS does not increase accuracy at all.

Mostly I hated the fact that MP5 was ridiculously inaccurate since it's pretty much the first automatic weapon you can find so it's absolute crap. I like MP5!

All the CoD kiddies moved on to csgo which has worse than realistic weapon accuracy, so I'm not sure what your point is.

COD maps are so small ot doesn't even matter

planetside 2, unless you're vanu

note: fuck the vanu

>lowcrouch is dumb
nah. It's borderline prone.

>also IIRC in vanilla SoC ADS does not increase accuracy at all.
False. see pic.

>I like MP5!
stop spraying and praying. Learn to use burst fire and aim.
Still, the early game shit < late game shit. Anything firing a handgun round has very limited reach and armor penetration as well.

Lowcrouch is super-dumb because it requires you to press two buttons, crouch and walk backwards (!!!). Was that designed for controllers or something? I actually like prone, prone toggle specifically.

MP5 in SoC is a piece of shit even on single fire.

Ballistics. Dunno how well STALKER was reflecting reality, but it was surely fun to snipe someone from far away and aiming higher to compensate for bullet falling down.

Also, i always loved flak cannon in UTs.

>Lowcrouch is super-dumb because it requires you to press two buttons, crouch and walk backwards
No, it does not.
For starters, it's crouch + WALK button.
Second, ever heard of Toggle Crouch? Vola, instant ONE (1) button required.

>MP5 in SoC is a piece of shit even on single fire.
it's meh as hell, but not shit.
Just about anything you find in the Cordon-Garbage area is low-tier as fuck, and not fit for end game. Unless, you know, you git gud. I actually started a sawnoff + pistols playthrough once; got all the way to Army Warehouses, then just stopped because other distractions.

tl;dr: picking gear in STALKER according your "favorites" is mostly very dumb.

!

Actual ballistics for game that advertise themselves as "realistic"
Hitscan for everything else

Hoho! That's my kind of ballistics!