By what miracle did this """game""" not kill the series right then and there?

By what miracle did this """game""" not kill the series right then and there?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/BN7zZqLg6Lc?t=664
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it was only the second game, series killers don't happen at 2 unless you really really fuck up and Dmc2 was not that bad

You could say the same about this one too. But people bought it if you look at the sales, same thing happened with this one. Brand loyalty mixed in with a bit of trust due to success of previous title(s).

Now the "sequels" to it those I can't understand. Everyone must've had Toriyama's cock so far up their throat they probably couldn't see straight anymore.

Because, despite not being that great, it sold super well.

Because terrible sales from a terrible game doesn't truly kick in until the next game.

Which is why DMC3 sold terribly at first, but great when the Special Edition came out.

Internet echo chambers didn't have much power in 2003.

This. DMC2 actually sells well because of DMC1.
It also laid the groundwork for DMC3, as some animations and moves are kept and used

It really was that bad, though. They made a game where most of the time you shoot and sometimes you slash. It's supposed to be the other way around. The attack patterns are shit and senseless on all bosses and the AI of some enemies is outright broken. There is absolutely no enemy design whatsoever. It's built around just mashing the melee button or the shoot button until it dies.

It would take a lot more than that to kill a successful franchise. This one only had one game.

It almost did. Dmc3 sales were abysmal until the soecial edition.

I havent played this one but I've played the first. What makes it so bad?

Because after it they made the Dmc 3

It's the only one that had wall running.

DMC3 has wall-running in Trickster style

DMC3 has that aswell.

youtu.be/BN7zZqLg6Lc?t=664

Shin Megami Tensei III advertising for them in the special edition.

But did it have HORIZONTAL wall running? That's right, checkmate.

Actually, it does. It's a bit hard to control the direction but you can run horizontally

Yes it does.
It has vertical and horizontal

>This one only had one game.
A launch game that almost every house with a PS2 had. You don't understand how well knows DMC1 was during that time, even friends who didn't know shit about PS2 games back then had this on their library. Everyone was geared up for the 2nd so much they didn't even care to see reviews of it before hand. Money just rolled out of their pocket as soon as it was out.

Same thing happened with FF13 due to other reasons besides the same ones I mentioned(excessive marketing, long development cycle) but the end result was the same. DMC managed to become its own franchise with fans with just 1 game while setting new standards on the quality of action games. It was damn impressive how well known it was when it came out.

2 did have negative impact on 3 though, they managed to get over it though and in the end it sold well.

I remember DMC1 was a huge hit on release, I guess I just never really followed DMC2 for some reason.

Man, I shudders to think what would happen if DMC3 flops and all we had now is GOW clones

I seriously don't remember this. The skill says "Run up walls to avoid enemy attacks.". I can't find any evidence that you can do it horizontally on youtube.

Now the new GOW looks like a game for pussies.

Considering God of War and its clones are dead you don't have to worry.

All that's left is CoD clones, Last of Us rips and boring ass open world games

When near a wall jump while looking perpendicular to it and push the style button

It's awkward and mostly useless

God damn it I just saw it in a playthrough. Well fuck it I guess 2 didn't have anything special, happy?

Dante didn't look like a retarded gothpunk self inserted mirror image.

It was a sequel to the first game, lots of different demons, and it had a powerfil Devil that rivaled Sparda and Mundus.

And then DMC3 was made into being, as a prequel, and it was absolutely crazy, literally.

I have to admit I thought the game was over when Dante got stabbed with a dozen scythe blades, boy was I fucking wrong, and I will never be able to experience the first time playing it, and I'm glad to live with it.

I'm actually playing through the game right now. You can do it, but like only after jumping and aiming along the wall. It's definitely not as easy to pull off as in DMC 2

it's pretty surreal how DMC2 didn't kill the series but DmC did

Yeah, but no DMC4 and Platinum sounds like a shit timeline
Yeah. The best use for it is probably to style on Lady and Doppelganger

2 had Majin form which was alright.

It also had one decent moment at the very very end of the game with Dante finishing the last boss off.

But yes DMC2 is lacking so much, even Stinger feels like shit

What made Dante so serious between 4 and 2?

A lack of direction in which to take the series.

Same with why DmC DMC exists, they have no idea what to do with the IP

never is best weapon

THE FLINCH IN YOUR EYE CALLS YOUR BLUFF

>When the Jam Session is just right

Well devs knew they fucked up, and knew that if properly made this game would sell well, so they invested in 3rd. And it is REALLY fucking sad dmc2 bad rep fucked up initial dmc3 sales.

Who else here thinks DmC could've been good if they would've let Ninja Theory direct the art/world design and Itsuno direct the gameplay and story?

Rate the 5 Devil May Cry games from best to worst (DMC, DMC2, DMC3, DMC4SE, UMvC3)

Itsuno was the supervisor during the earlier development of DmC. They weren't on good terms

I would rather have Atlus, to be honest. They already comeback for DMC4SE

>and Dmc2 was not that bad

No. DmC would have been good only it if isn't a DMC game. A New action IP from Capcom and Ninja Theory would have been best.

> And it is REALLY fucking sad dmc2 bad rep fucked up initial dmc3 sales.

Why is that sad? If you are going to release a piece of shit product then it damn well should impact the sales of the next product in that sequence. If it wasn't for the good reviews and word of mouth there is no way in hell I would have bought dmc3