My I7-860 is starting to feel a bit on the slower side these days. But what is a good CPU to replace it with?

My I7-860 is starting to feel a bit on the slower side these days. But what is a good CPU to replace it with?

a i7 intel processor maybe one of those $400 ones.

That's... Not really helpful.

btw i'm a Nep.

>That's... Not really helpful.
Well, you're going to have to buy a new Motherboard/RAM if you want to upgrade the CPU. So you're going to need to give a budget.

2 24 Core Xeons

for what use?

can i suck your anime dick?

I myself have a 2500k that I'm simply unable to overclock with (despite being famous for doing it). It's really begun showing its age as of late, and I can't even imagine an i7-860.

Sup Forums fags are saying to wait for AMD "Zen" processors that or may not dethrone Intel. There's a bunch of hype surrounding their impending release, sometime in March.

Seeing as this is a board about video games. I am going to go ahead and say that it is for playing video games.
i suppose like $300-$400. Don't think i need new ram though. Just motherboard and CPU.

>Ayymd
>delivering
Pick one. Just get a 7700k.

>Don't think i need new ram though. Just motherboard and CPU.
New motherboards use DDR4, so you will. Unless you plan on upgrading to old tech.

>7700k
Intel has gone back to boosting clock frequencies, like the Netburst days (2002-2005). Things truly are cyclical.

I feel optimistic that AMD can deliver. They did hire back the guy who created AMD 64 and crushed Pentium 4. Again, things look right for history to repeat itself.

I'm looking forward to getting a legit 8-core processor with Broadwell-Skylake performance.

>DDR4
Oh, you are right then, i am going to need that as well. This upgrade is starting to sound more and more expensive.

wait for benchmarks

DDR4 prices suck right now. 8 GB of budget ram is $45, decent 16 GB kits are over $100

Switch to AMD

I'm hoping Zen is good enough to make Intel worried and actually start trying again once they actually have some real competition.

Yeah bro, I guess it's cause you don't upgrade your hardware frequently enough, but it's a racket. Intel releases a new motherboard socket pretty much every year, so that you're forced to spend on a new motherboard. Ram also changes to a new specification every couple of years. It's planned obsolescence.

Expect to spend $350 on a new processor, $150 on a motherboard, and at least $100 on DDR4 ram.

>Expect to spend $350 on a new processor, $150 on a motherboard, and at least $100 on DDR4 ram.
Now that's just dumb. He doesn't have to buy the latest i7. He can get a 6500 or 6600 and a sub-100 motherboard.