What was it like going to arcades back in the day...

What was it like going to arcades back in the day? A dave and busters opened near me and I was wondering if it's as good as the arcades back then.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zssUf0XZFkY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Back then they were a magical place filled with games of all kinds, many that were exclusive to the arcade.

Now a days, arcades are simply giant mobage machines where drunkards go to waste money. Sometimes they have the occasional actual worthwhile game there. Round 1 Entertainment is much better than D&B for the arcade factor.

Only Japan and very very specific places in the US have arcades that are like the days of old.

Their fucking shit. I walked into one and walked around and normies were everywhere. Excessive lighting and most arcade shit was normietier garbage. No tendies, just ugly coal burners and chads working there. I raged and left.

>most arcade shit was normietier garbage
what did they have

I feel like one of the big turn offs for me was replacing light guns with motion trackers. It's an affront to the genre that most people don't even seem to notice or care about. It's so sad.

Ive seen ddr extreme (pads were shit) house of the dead 3 (with the uzi) and tekken in nyc, that was about it. Maybe Ghost Squad?

This place in little japan in san fran at a mall had rad shit like popn music, rhythm heaven, gundam, taiko no tatsujin, the table flip game, djmax technika, ufo machines with weeb merch prizes and passionate fluent staff. Nothing since has topped that one.

Sensory overload. Flashing lights, loud noises, people yelling as they mash buttons on the Street Fighter II machine. Watching the crazy Japanese guy go buck-wild on the DDR machine. Losing all your damn quarters/tokens to Gauntlet and begging mom for more money.

In the early '90s a lot of the arcade games had pretty incredible 3D graphics (Virtua Racing blew my mind), which was a big draw for the arcades.

Racing games in general were a big reason for their popularity in the '90s. There was nothing like racing your buddies in Daytona USA. I also spent a lot of time playing pic related, trying to find all the shortcuts and shit.

In short, it was an awesome way to play games, especially if your family was too poor to afford a powerful computer or game console.

Some of the things other people said, but also depends a lot on where and when you went.

Mall arcades were more or less all the same, just some more brightly lit or louder audio than others. Pretty safe places, but you only saw relative "normies" in on the weekends. Meeting girls in arcades who didn't come there because their BF dragged them was pretty great(and wrecking guys trying to show off for their GFs who didn't want to be there was even better.)

Street arcades could be downright fucking dangerous though, especially if they catered to billards crowds as well as cabinets and pinball. There're a lot of places - back in the day at least - I don't honestly think you should've gone into unarmed.

>Street arcades could be downright fucking dangerous though, especially if they catered to billards crowds as well as cabinets and pinball. There're a lot of places - back in the day at least - I don't honestly think you should've gone into unarmed.
Sounds like the life for me, real life Beat'em Up.

>Excite QTE 3
Couldn't fit Shenmue in there, huh?

>What was it like going to arcades back in the day?
Fucking magical.
youtube.com/watch?v=zssUf0XZFkY

Dirty and full of loud teenagers that ran around everywhere and annoyed everyone.

>legit arcade bar in minneapolis
>its always crowded as fuck
fells bad

You sound like literally the worst kind of person to be around.

Dave and busters is gay, nothing compared to old time arcades. The game lineup is all normie shit, and the ones that aren't, well the novelty wears off pretty quick for those machines.
nothing compared with playing metal slug, bubble bobble, f-zero, pod racing, battle gear 4 (with clutch pedal and 6spd gearbox), I'm still fortunate my local still has their battle gear machine.

You sound like a fucking fag, and those guys are right. Dave and busters is a shallow imitation of a proper arcade.

I got banned from my local arcade as a kid because I got caught using that trick on old change machines where you tear the bill in a certain spot, insert it, get coins and the machine spits the bill back out.

Exactly like that Streets of Rage level.

Dave and Busters is fine, machines are in good condition, decent food, but they generally stick to "safe" games. You won't find anything like Guilty Gear or Wangan Midnight there.

Time Crisis is about as weeb as they go.

>house of the dead 3
>uzi

:^))))

Well, if real fights were actually like final fight I guess, sure. I'd love the extra lives and free food.

Getting caught up in shit you had nothing to do with isn't fun. Even worse when someone just picks you to start something for no reason at all. Nobody wants their vidya to be interrupted by aggro niggers or prickhair blonde whiteboys.

Clique wars, rivalry, cute teen girls hanging around sometimes, and people you would never see again playing with you while your friends watched.

I liked it a lot, but I was mostly a 7/11 kid.

THE BEST.

>dave and busters
>I was wondering if it's as good as the arcades back then

It's a completely different experience. Whether you like it as much or not is completely up to you.

>I go to the arcade to play by myself
>doesn't even mention what Gundam it is (assuming VS which is legit horrible, but weeks like it since it's the CoD of Japan)
>dissing Tekken while praising lazy rhythm games

You sound like a horrible person to be around.

Good place to score drugs

watch a random movie from the 80s/90s. Terminator 2 comes to mind. That's what it was like.

They could be lots of fun, great way to make friends, but at the same time if it's in the bad part of town, it was a place where you could get fucking murdered. And I'm not being hyperbolic there, I knew people that got stabbed at arcades.

Like in STREETS OF RAGE?

>walk in
>neckbeards are visible in public
>DDR is poppin
>head to the Initial D cab
>throw down with a rando a few times on Mt. Akina
>head over to House of the Dead II
>co-op with the rando guy
>get mad at how jewish the game feels
>go watch the turbonerds slay DDR

I miss it.

>get mad at how jewish the game feels
What?

For what arcades back in the day used to be like legit watch the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie from the 90s when they show the foot hide out for the first time that was the theme song ANY kid had in his head when he walked into a arcade.

Kek then you went to some shit arcade back in the 90s arcades were dark crowded and noisy had a shit ton of games and was just all around good fun and people use to hold fighting game tournaments all kinds of shit now it's all ticket prize machines to any arcade I goto.

Those are your dream arcade games?
Really??

>A dave and busters opened near me and I was wondering if it's as good as the arcades back then.
Not even close.
That said, I don't know if many dave and busters have it but that Space Invaders thingus at Alley Cats is tight as shit. Vibrates at rapid speed, big ass turrets, shit keeps going faster and faster, newer power-ups and newer enemies keep it fresh, those little fuckers go super fast when you're about to lose so there's tension-building as well. Feels great, but also over too fast and a bit too expensive. At least it's a real arcade-style game though unlike fucking crossy road, fruit ninja, and goddamn flappy bird.

hood arcades were ROUGH

in the 90s that's what suburban arcades were like

90s hood arcades were much more dangerous and were mostly teenagers

in the 80s they were like the beginning of TRON

>time crisis 2 with a random
>he dies on the last level and is out of coins
>pass him one so we can finish

Modern places like Dave and Busters are shit
I went to one a few months ago
>50% literally phone games ported to arcade cabinets
>25% driving games
>25% touch screen slot machines

Disney Quest is probably the closest you'll ever get to the original feeling. Unfortunately, it shuts down in July.

It was magical.

Rich kids had birthday parties there, and the rich mom would give the arcade attendants a few hundred dollarydoos and the attendants would give the kids with the special armbands unlimited quarters for hours at a time.

Then the malls got overran with niggers, and mom would not take us there anymore. Then a large number of niggers robbed people and multiple shootings happened in them.

We don't go to niggerholm anymore :(

They closed the mall and tore it down.

I would go in and put my token in line to play DDR, there would always be a few asian girls or boys that would show up and challenging people

When I got tired of throwing my legs around like a dumbass I'd go play some Jurassic Park to give my legs a break and sit down, then hit up my friend to do some co-op Time Crisis since we were getting so good at it

And in the back back corner was Galaga, no one else ever played it but me and the high scores would reset every day so I'd always go back and get the high score for the day just to show off

The arcade as right in the middle of the food court at the mall too so when you were done playing games you'd go grab a meal and watch a movie at the theater right near by

Then they turned the arcade into a cheap burger restaurant and I became an adult and just downloaded mame instead

4 player Gauntlet games.

4 player Rampage giant monsters destroying cities eating people fighting the military games.

Shit was cash

its shutting down? fuck. i love that place.

House of the Dead II liked to munch quarters.

>A dave and busters

Hope you enjoy giant versions of all the hottest iPhone games

Back in the day, it was really mostly curious kids, with the few occasional amazing Marvel players.

Now it's mostly office workers on break, who are amazing at Street Fighter or Tekken. It's really fun to chat with them, and discuss strategies against the certain people rather than characters.