Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age out July 11

>Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age out July 11

ARE YOU HYPE?!

Other urls found in this thread:

inverse.com/article/18243-easy-final-fantasy-xii-wrong
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>dat Fran ass

Finally, years later PS4 gets another game.
And it's one I already have for PS2...

I'll just wait for the Steam port that's locked at 30 FPS.

ayy
inverse.com/article/18243-easy-final-fantasy-xii-wrong

>out near my birthday
Nice.

Does the IZSJ PS2 version have a fan translation? Iirc, it only released in Japan? And is IZSJ better than the original?

It does, yes. And it's also the much superior version of the game. Vanilla XII was a good game but IZJS adds so many good features and content and overall makes it a 10/10 game. Probably my favorite game.

>is IZSJ better than the original?
No. It really isn't. The original system, if arguably a bit broken later on. Is far more interesting.

Thing is. The IZJS allows you to pick classes for your characters. And then your characters are locked into the class progression of said classes for when they grow. Nothing really weird as far as RPGs goes so it's not really terrible either.

But here is the thing. The original system of the game practically already had classes in the first place. Different skills and abilities are distributed to various parts of the grids. Meaning that mastering a certain portion of the grid is practically the same as mastering the respective class. And since the various characters all begin at various positions on said grid, it's essentially the same as the various characters all starting out as various classes to begin with.
And this original system is also interesting since various categories of abilities are more or less far apart from each other. Meaning that some types of abilities are tougher to combine than others. And it also means that some characters can more easily combine certain types of abilities than others simply by virtue of having more suited start position on the grid for said combination. But all while this is true, it still leaves you very open to carve the paths you so desire in terms of the character progression and if you put the points and dedication required you will be rewarded get the characters you want the way you wanted them.

It really only falls apart some in the far late game when the characters all start to blend together due to having all mastered the majority of the grid each. Technically making them less unique. But that's hardly a problem I'd say, and with equipment and the dedication of various roles they're surely unique enough for it to really not be much of an issue at all. And the contrast from before is also something of a power trip since you can really feel the growth.

I mean. The release had other improvements. But as far as the actual job system is concerned. I am not a fan. The restrictions brings essentially nothing new, all while pretty much killing the most interesting aspects of the original game.
If this remake doesn't have the original system available I'll be really disappointed.

The problem with vanilla FFXII is that you have no choice in what your characters specialize in at the beginning and mid-points of the game. What they start as they have to progress as until, as you said, late-game, but by then all of the characters have basically melded into one jack-of-all-trades class where none of them have any real specialties or downsides. It's a bit boring, and FFXII is already a really long game so having the variety that IZJS offers helps keep the game fresh. IZJS mitigates this by breaking up the board into 12 different classes so you have to choose from and think about what sort of party composition you want. You're also only given six characters, so you obviously can't pick all 12, you really have to think about what you want to use. It's part of the reason why I've replayed IZJS numerous times but only played vanilla XII once, when it came out; making different parties to run through the game is one of the most fun parts of the game.

Every character has different stat spreads, so while one character maybe be good in one class, another character might not be so good, but that's part of what makes it interesting. Even if the stat spread doesn't work in one way it might work in another. Say, a melee-oriented class on a character with a weaker str gain, but they might make up for it in other areas. It's all rather fun to mess around with.

There are also numerous quality of life features in IZJS that make the game a lot more enjoyable to play, like a speed-up button to make traversing big areas and grinding less tedious, and having all gambits purchasable at the start of the game, among other things. Not to mention fixing the Zodiac Spear and adding tons of new weapons and armor.

Well yeah. The improvements aside from the job system are by no means great. It's the reason for why I kept playing that version. But I really can't get behind the job system personally.
It has its flaws for sure, but I actually really liked the original system the game had. And whenever I played IZJS I couldn't help but feel like the game was still at large designed for the original system, but then adapted to the IZJ system in spite of how it wasn't initially meant for it.
I will concede the point and admit that I feel like they did a really good job at adapting the system. But I personally can't help but find it jarring even so, I'd argue that the differences in design shines through and that bothers me. Of course, I am sure I am biased since I was always quite fond of the original system in spite of its flaws and always considered it to be one of the game's biggest strengths. But there you have it.

you FUCKING KNOW IT

Hype levels will be maximum if it has a steelbook version.

I don't see anything wrong with that. I've heard other people say they prefer vanilla XII's huge license boards, and that's fine. I think it would be nice if they included the option to choose between the original boards or IZJS's classes.

Can't wait to take a hundred screenshots of Fran's lips.

Jote's quite nice, as well.

Is this the Zodiac version murrica never got?

So this a remaster or re-release? You can never tell these days, have they touched up models etc or will it probably look more like it does on upscaled emulator?

Still hyped either way, been waiting to replay it and this seems like the perfect excuse.

Updated models, textures, audio, and some new lighting apparently.

It's pretty much the same as FF10's grid, you have the freedom to get everything, but in IZJS it's locked once you go into it.

so emulated pc version is still best
got it

this game made me realize I was an ass (and thighs) man

>Game is being updated in every meaningful way
>emulated pc version is still best
???

I've played the game on my modded PS2 and through emulation already; this update is going to be the best version, easily.

How does it take this fucking long to shit out a marginally-upgraded port? A competent developer could have remade the game from scratch in the time it's taken them to ship this thing.

Yoshida has gone on record saying that he designed the characters the way he did because he has a thing for butts. It's also the reason why Ashley Riot in Vagrant Story wears chaps. What a legend.

i am hype my nigra. i loved XII. the environments, every hunt enemy was unique, and the artstyle/graphics/whatever is probably my personal favorite. but thats like 5 months away you son of a bitch

I wish more games had side-content as good as FFXII. The hunts were one of the best parts of the game.

Can't wait to fight Gilgamesh again.

While I'm also a butt man, these butts are actually kinda flat-looking to me, or at least not big enough. Still, good on Yoshida for proudly and publicly being a butt man.

Fran's legs, ass and voice was the reason she never left my party not even once throughout the entire game.

That voice though.. HNNN

is he bi since he doesn't gender discriminate when adding HIPS

The proper term is gams FYI

FINAL
I
N
A
L

FANTASY
A
N
T
A
S
Y

AND
N
D

FREE
R
E
E

SLURPEES
L
U
R
P
E
E
S

Fran is easily my favorite vidya girl. Every time I play IZJS I make it a point to have her lead my party. Everything about her is perfect.

I don't think he has ever explicitly said one way or another, but if you look at his character designs and his willingness to put male bodies on display, I'd say there are good chances that he also likes the boy booty.

not if it's a male apparantly. balthiers legs aren't especially womanly, just well shaped

The job system is hit-or-miss, not definitively superior. All of the QoL features are nice though.

I don't know that he's actually bi, but he definitely likes butts and ZR in a fetishistic way divorced from gender.

>Yoshida: That would be me. [Laughs] This country named Dalmasca is supposed to have a hot climate, so we were thinking of showing off more skin.

>are you hype for a remake of the worst Final Fantasy?

Not really

Spotted the underage.

>I'm buying a ps4 for a ps2 port

>for Sickdark Souls, Kat's games, William-sama's game, movies, ports and Hey You Pikachu 2
Fix'd.
It was worth the munny.

>Does the IZSJ PS2 version have a fan translation?
Yes.
> Iirc, it only released in Japan?
Yes, until the recent remasters.
> And is IZSJ better than the original?
No. It's easymode. It's got some nice features, but your characters get way too strong way too quick and most of the game's challenge is lost.

>make a port with some improved textures
>comission a badass painting to celebrate it
>hold an event on the the 20th anniversary of FF7 and instead talk about this game's port's release date

I mean
cool
but it's a god damn port

I wonder if they'll finally let us un-invert the horizontal camera?

PC please

Took them fucking long enough.

>>It really only falls apart some in the far late game when the characters all start to blend together due to having all mastered the majority of the grid each

This is why I feel like they should've individualized each character's license grid from the start. To give you room to develop each character as you see fit with enough wiggle room, and to avoid so much overlap where everyone can equip the same weapons and cast the same spells, effectively ruining the uniqueness of each character.

On PC you can easily just invert your own stick if they somehow don't allow us to.