Ebert later defended his position in April 2010, saying...

>Ebert later defended his position in April 2010, saying, "No video gamer now living will survive long enough to experience the medium as an art form".[87] He also stated that he had never found a video game "worthy of (his) time", and thus had never played one.[88]

This man was a professional shitposter. Did God take his lower jaw as punishment for his lies? It just seems too poetic to be a coincidence.

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/1994/09/cosmology-of-kyoto/
youtube.com/watch?v=sOAJ8XmDUSc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ebert said he enjoyed "Dude, Where's My Car?"

His words are the words of God.

It doesn't fucking matter. Nothing changes if video games are art or not. People just want to validate the things they do and make them feel more worthy in the eyes of others, art is one of those labels that allow things to be perceived as more worthy than they actually are.

only retards think the word art somehow validates/invalidates the works of others

What the fuck is up with his face

If we were to pay attention to any idiot's opinion the world would stop moving.

Maybe he should worry more about getting that clusterfuck of face fixed by a professional surgeon.

drank too much radium

Mouth cancer. They took his lower jaw.

what games did he play? if the only game i ever played was some shit like bioshock, i would have a similar position

>what games did he play?

>He also stated that he had never found a video game "worthy of (his) time", and thus had never played one.

The man literally was passing judgment on entire medium that he had zero experience with.

Movie critics are snobby retards at times. Maybe Ebert should of thought about how film was neglected and ignored at first, rather than enact the same peasant close-mindedness. Maybe it was his issue, and not games. It would of been more respectable if he just didn't talk shit about something he was clearly indifferent to. He's also written some junk about films as well. People regarded him too highly, really.

Ebert is just a dude with moderately good writing skills who wrote his opinions for like every movie. His reviews are mediocrity. I don't understand the reverence he gets.

>Maybe Ebert should of thought about how film was neglected and ignored at first

HAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT?

nigga he's dead

Ebert did play a game, he played Cosmology of Kyoto and wrote about how he enjoyed it.

wired.com/1994/09/cosmology-of-kyoto/

Well then Sup Forums, I want your input.

What's a game that you consider to be "art" for the actual gameplay? No, I don't mean a game with just a good story. Movies have stories, but they're different from a book because of the visuals. A movie with a good story but visually shit is a shitty movie. So, a game with a good story and even good visuals but shitty gameplay is just an interactive movie and a shitty game. What game is actually art because of the gameplay?

What a fucking weeb.

Art is somewhat subjective, but can be rounded down as:

>Any piece of culture that is pleasing and entertaining, with at least some though put behind it.
>The artist make with great passion.
>It dont need to be entertaining to everyone.

I will agree that some vidya, just like some movies and books, are just soulless cash grabs, not true art. But there is definitely a lot of vidya that is art too. A lot of things can be art, even if not everyone appreciates, because it is made with heart.

Anyway, you can tell he is a retard by saying that a medium is art. Individual pieces are art, not the medium itself.

>A movie with a good story but visually shit is a shitty movie

Explain why marvel movies are loved by critics then

most games especially the popular one are terrible

nigga should've played FFT before he died

Ebert was way out of his depth when talking about video games.

Oh, and those faggots who claim "Shadow of the Colossus" is an example of an "artistic" video game don't help either.

STALKER on master difficulty

>blip bleep, ya-HOO!!!

he was right, you know

He's anti-Sup Forums given form.

>blip bleep, ya-HOO!!!
Is that an Ebert quote?

Would you stop this meme? FFT is a shit tier tRPG with a cringe localization that's just pretentiously bad.

Nier. It conveys a story and experience through gameplay in was that would not be possible, or at least not nearly as effective in any other medium.

Disney pays them so they always get rated above a certain score. Thor 2 is 66 percent fresh on RT.

l i t t l e m o n e y

>fucker is dead now

And nothing of value was loss.

|_I||_|
|_||_|-

Literally any game with well constructed gameplay. Designing those mechanics and how so many elements interact with one another takes care and a good eye for design. Other elements don't really matter because all of them are optional. It's more impressive if a game has well designed gameplay, well crafted visuals, an interesting story, and a good soundtrack, especially if all of those elements mingle and complement one another, but games by their nature do not necessitate storytelling, or music. They don't even need to tell stories. It's not just about being Good or Fun, though those usually come along, it's about good, thoughtful design. There are games I've had a lot of fun with even though the design was lacking, those types of games are the equivalent of superhero movies I guess. Summer blockbusters, more broadly.

Got any proof?

>but games by their nature do not necessitate storytelling, or music. They don't even need to tell stories.

I meant, they don't even need to have visuals, at least per se. You can make a game entirely out of text.

Part of me feels sad he will not be able to watch Hollywood get mercilessly destroyed as video gaming becomes the primary form of entertainment.

>claims princess mononoke is one of the best films of the year in which it came out
>didn't play Shadow of the Colossus

Braid, Passage, and The Marriage are the big three that I can think of off the top of my head.

>>claims princess mononoke is one of the best films of the year in which it came out
He wasn't wrong

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that Marvel movies have shit visuals? It's my fault for making it ambiguous, but when I say "visually bad" that does not mean "visually unimpressive", but more doesn't make meaningful use of visuals. It's more of a general rule than specific critique. There's plenty of bad action movies, but inherently they're using visuals meaningfully because action is not as exciting in pure text as it is on the big screen.

Video games being perceived as "art" has been detrimental anyways, so why care?

He's the #1 shit poster imo.

Someone's opinion on what is art doesn't matter.
Wether something is or is not art doesn't matter.
Using art as a label to make something sound interesting worthwhile or refined is retarded.
The only things that matter are the objects, actions, ideas and interpretations that you care about. The only thing making a seperation between "medium" and "artform" does is implying your hot opinions.

Nier gets everything right except the technical aspects. The game is pretty ugly and it plays poorly, not through design but as a result of poor programming or lack of development time/money. The aesthetics is good, by the way, the Aerie and Facade are visually interesting locations, I'm talking about the graphical quality and textures and such. Intent is good but I think your execution is important, too. Not trying to say those caveats invalidate Nier's strengths.

I mean that Marvel movies don't have interesting visuals and don't use them very meaningfully. They use them for the bare minimum of showing what is written on the script page in motion. There is nothing to dissect, no real imagery or meaning in them. I agree that the best movies use visuals to their advantage. I'm just bringing this up because critics praise these marvel films despite them not using what makes film a unique medium. I bring film critics up as this is what Ebert was. Whose definition of art are we appealing to? If it's film critic's definition of art then games that simply have a good story should count towards that.

>but inherently they're using visuals meaningfully because action is not as exciting in pure text as it is on the big screen.
I don't know if I agree with that exactly because then if we apply the same logic to video games we are in a conversation about "what is a game?" Using the same logic any sort of gameplay is inherently meaningful, but that raises the question of whether or not things like pic related are a game or not simply because of it's interactions with the user.

Apart from horrible spelling what is wrong with his post? The earliest films afaik were more or less tech-demos of the equipment and science behind it that had yet to prove itself than immediately be regarded as a respected art-form.

Battleborn

>Did God take his lower jaw as punishment for his lies?
Either that, or his arrogance.

It's a real shame that he's dead, however.

My way of thinking about art is concerning the intention and the reception. If the game creators say it's art, then it can be considered art. If it is created and a bunch of people treat it as art, then it can be considered art. If you don't really care at all and just want to play video games, then that's probably the best decision.

They're hacks.

>just lost my best friend
>wahh better check twitter
fucking earth rockers

Undertale.

Give me a quick rundown on ebert

he died lol

I do recall him saying that he was familiar with some arcade games and how one movie that depicted an arcade game (TMNT?) "got it wrong."

He also played games before, so I dunno what he's talking about (just an old guy forgetting about this probably):

youtube.com/watch?v=sOAJ8XmDUSc

I hear the bogdanoffs bowed to him

should have totally rocked one of those starwars face masks

Needs an I wanna fuck that edit. badly.

>talks shit about video games
>gets mouth cancer

FUCKING MEMED LOL

Everyone agrees with him, though.
And he's right.
Videogames are not art.

My sides

>FUCKING MEMED LOL
I know, it's epic as fuck XD

The market is over saturated with lots of games and egotistical developers that it's impossible video games to be an art form. Only a few titles will stand the test of time while others will be lost to time.

Good thing that faggot died of jaw cancer.

I mean, my dad is the same way, but he still thinks everything is a prettier NES.
Egbert was a movie reviewer, I wouldn't ask him an opinion on music either. Course, I wouldn't ask him an opinion on movies, but at least he had an semipassable one.

I thought a little, and while there are plenty of games whose gameplay fit my description of art, i think dwarf fortress is the one with the most love and thought put behind.

But honestly it dont have to be the most groundbreaking gameplay ever to be worthy of praise.

My favorite video games are the ones where the writing only makes sense if you play it at a very high skill level.

I think those are probably the closest to the idea of art that I like anyways.

Fuck off idiot don't reply to my posts ever again you reddit fuck.

You miss my point.

SotC is a work of art that features themes and aesthetics similar to Mononoke, though evolved and elaborated upon. Only a fool would ignore its artistic worth while praising a film that, while being structurally and rhythmically perfect, is made for children as one of the best of its year. Ebert was a hack.

Same as books, film, and music and no one denies that they are art.

please go, and stay go.

he also grew a throat cancer for choking on cock

Ebert's a pretentious hack who let his personal political opinions get in the way of what should be an honest and professional judgements.

Critics in general are leeches, but I actually can't blame him for his retarded opinion on the nature of art because he's an old fart.

>getting this shitter shattered i outed you as a reddit loving memester

Love it

>everyone in Sup Forumseddit praising MGS2, how it was art and how it predicted shit
>Kojima agrees that videogames are not art, and he even said that the MGS franchise are basically action blockbusters
>Sup Forumseddit mad as fuck saying ''F-FUCK YOU YOU GOT CANCER XD''

I mean, look at this This is youtube comment-tier.

You can't counter-argue these people, videogames are not art, period,

>VIDEO GAMES A SHIT!
>never even played one

It's like if Sup Forums was a person.

are you deaf? why are you wearing glasses?

It really doesn't matter what he said, he was ignorant and inexperienced, therefore his opinion is worthless.

It takes creative and artistic talent to create a video game, even zork, a game entirely formed of text is art, just like a novel is art. The only thing that sets some games apart from movies is their interactive nature.

Heavy rain for example, take away it's QTE's and and choices and you have a CGI movie. The likes of which Ebert would have considered art. Now it would have been a shitty movie, but a movie nonetheless.

He was completely and utterly, objectively wrong, and stubborn to boot.

THIS

Shadow of Colossus

Thing is, no videogame manages to be art.
That's a fact, it's not up to discussion, much less Sup Forumsirgin discussion.

non meme answer, any game that allows an individual to express his/her creativity is Art.
Mario 64, SSBMelee, Most puzzle games like Zelda or Portal, Tetris. True art (for video games and other mediums as well) is only possibly when there is an interaction between the viewer and the piece of work. The Mona Lisa by itself is just ink on a canvas unless subjected to CRITICAL THOUGHT by a person. Gameplay in itself is Art because it allows critical thought for a player to deduce situations and provide their own analysis and interpretations of how the game should be played. That is how art should be interpreted through video games, not by writing or screenplay or even voice actors, but by the players decisions in the way the play the game and how many options you have to do so.

It's why competitive gaming is the peak of gameplay. Anyone who says chess isn't art is objectively and utterly wrong.

Developers are just too short sighted to see video games as an art form.

>Kojima agrees that videogames are not art,
Kojima-san is just upset that no-one ever understood him.

You seem to be mistaking your opinions for facts! That can be very dangerous

>action blockbusters are not art
Then is Suicide Squad an academy award nominated film? Is Star Wars not art?

Video games are flicks at best and mania at worst
There's only one game that was kino and it was castlekino

sick katawa shoujo reference i bet you had to google super hard to find it Faggy McRedditbrowser

professional necromancer, whatever

sorry, i didn't play katawa shoujo so i don't really know what you're talking about

i'm just calling you ignorant.

What is art?

t. retard watch

Fighting games where playstyles and decisions really reflect the kind of person you are and your mood. It really is an earnest form of expression.

The beautiful part is seeing people change over the years and capturing both the person's gameplay and life on camera to compare and contrast. Anyone who hasn't watched old tournament this matches and bullshit phone videos and then comparing it to the present is missing out.

good thread

Objectively incorrect.

Games are created from art, visuals, audio and writing. Denying this is like denying movies are art because it's just people pretending on camera. If literally splashing paint on a canvas can be art, video games are objectively, undeniably art.

see
Art is about critical analysis, not the content.

This kind of elitist fuck deserve a punch in the chin. Too bad he has none.

Blame Postmodernism for blurring the line between what's art and what's not art.

God punched him in the chin.

So anything is art as long as it's critically analyzed?

the inception of video games was about 40-50 years ago. if you look at films the same distance out from their inception (1940s-50s) there are literally hundreds of movies coming out a year that are still studied to this day as amazing achievements of the artform.