What game has the most aesthetic spaceships and why is it Halo?

What game has the most aesthetic spaceships and why is it Halo?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spacecraft_in_the_Culture_series
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That looks like M41A

Names are the best too. "In Amber Clad" will always be the best name for a space cruiser imo

Homeworld had good designs
First one was more blocky and old-style sci-fi
while Homeworld 2 looked more sleek and futuristic

No. just fucking NO.

Of all the steaming turds halo has shat out over fiction / entertainment

their ships and names are the stupidest.

I loved the Ishimura in Dude Space

Do you have a suggestion for good ships and names then?

Looks like shit.

Shadow of Intent would like a word

>UNSC All Under Heaven
>UNSC Say My Name
>UNSC Song of the East
>UNSC Unto the Breach
>UNSC The Heart of Midlothian
>UNSC Armageddon's Edge
>UNSC Do You Feel Lucky?
>UNSC Glasgow Kiss
>UNSC Forward Unto Dawn
>UNSC In Amber Clad
>UNSC Stalwart Dawn
>UNSC Edge of Umbra
>UNSC Wink of an Eye
>UNSC Two for Flinching
>UNSC Bum Rush
>UNSC Lance Held High
>UNSC Point of No Return
>UNSC Walk of Shame

They're all fucking awesome. And that's just the human ships. The Covenant ships are amazing too.

No it's Homeworld, I also do like Sins' designs too. Halo does have great names like Spirit of Fire.

You're a faggot.

The spaceship designs are exceptionally retarded from a realism standpoint

Who cares

Killzone had some neat ones.

Not really, considering their smaller ships also have to be operable in atmosphere, so aerodynamics need to be a consideration there.

Also, in universe, Elites shit on UNSC ships all the time for putting their cockpits/command centers at the "front" of their ships as if it was nesscary/functional, and instead all covenant ships have them in the center of the ship where they'd be the most defended.

a e s t h e t i c

>Culture ship names, except not as funny

forgot my image

Nexus: Jupiter Incident

Covenant ships are pure kino

Children of a Dead Earth

kys my man

>that
>aesthetic
I'd even take WH40k's DUDE FLYING CATHEDRALS LMAO over this

>human ships look like handguns
>alien ships look like dick and balls
Gentle technology VS biology symbolism?

Good post.

Aesthetics via brutal practicality.

>that scene in the cartographer mission where the frigate swoops in and drops off the scorpions

I shit myself every time

Could you imagine that scene in VR?

yes, actually, covenant stuff is supposed to look organic, like deep sea squids, jellyfish, and whales, as long as like iridescent insect shells

>dumb Euro can't handle the sexy rugged style of American miltarism

Halo ships are GOAT

Where's the trigger?

It always annoyed me that UNSC ships had windows, the entire idea is that they are big tough practical bricks. It clashes with the style.

And UNSC ships are just giant Mac guns

Not only are they impractical, they don't even look cool enough to justify it

Freelancer maybe? I liked the ones in Fractured Space

>big tough practical bricks
>spaceship that isn't a ball with guns and gyroscopes
>practical

and then 343 industries came along

"infinity"

Of course they are not actually practical, but the visual style is trying to evoke a functional war machine which is contrasted by the graceful artsy curves of the aliens ships.

>spaceship that isn't a ball with guns and gyroscopes
tapered tube is better desu senpai

I rather liked the ones in Starlancer.

The grip itself is pressure senstive I think, see this in universe quote about the plasma pistol's firing mechanis,

>"The trigger is soft—no feedback—there’s no break that tells you when the overcharge is gonna kick in. First time I did it was by accident and it damn near sprained my wrist."

343's ship names are fine, and follow the same pattern bungie ones do, Infinity is just a shitty outlier.

Captial ship a best

You should see how big it's bigger brother, the CSO supercarrier is.

Literally 3 feet long when to scale with the other ships in the game

Yeah just looked it up, 28.9 kms (95,013ft) in universe.

Jesus, that's just awful

>Crew
>Tens of Thousands

Don't you like quirky and original?

It's pretty crazy that the UNSC would be able to even hold out against the Covenant

All of killzones tech was great looking desu.

I mean, they didn't, the UNSC needed like 3:1 odds to even break even in space battles. That's why they lost most of their colonies over the course of the war.

Only reason the UNSC lasted as much as they did was the S2's and how fucking OP MAC guns are

What was the badass maneuver they pulled off in the reach book? Something like flying close af to the covenant ship to get past their Shields and firing a nuke then warping outside the range or something?

keyes loop

With all due respect you sir are a dooty head

How has 343 managed to not shit up the new ship designs for Fleet Battles?

How come they can do that and the books fine but they can't do the actual in game stories well?

God, MAC rounds are so fucking badass

bait

Honestly halo just has such a cool universe its a shame we didn't get more spinoffs. Master chiefs story should have been left at 3 and have more reach and odst like side stories about other cool things.

Like shooting Grunts in the face with a Battle Rifle for the 20th time.

>people who were first graders when the first halo came out are now around 22

these are fucking embarrassing
even British Navy named their ships better and most of those were just tryhard intimidating labels like Invincible or Fearless

I unironically have no idea how you could not love Halo UNSC ships just from an aesthetic standpoint.

Build a big ass mac-gun and then slap the rest of the ship around it then give it a Culture ripoff name IE: the best shipnames in all fiction
Honestly UNSC ships are just gigantic cannons with engines and life support and i love it.

>Honestly UNSC ships are just gigantic cannons with engines and life support

Because they are, they are just giant MAC cannons, see . The MAC guns are litterally the core that the rest of the ship is built around

>tryhard intimidating labels like Invincible or Fearless

Those names were for the morale of the sailors on those ships more than anything else.
How could you be a pussy when you're on board the fucking HMS Dreadnought?

UNSC
>In Amber Clad
>Pillar of Autumn
>Two for flinching
>Mona Lisa
>Forward Unto Dawn
>lance held High

are you honestly telling me they're not rad ship names?
You're right about the British though, the Spanish had pretty rad names however. Big old galleys and warships named after saints,city's and concepts instead of descriptions.

Aesthetic?? It looks like some a toddlers lego kit given up on three quarters the way through. pleeeaasseeeee.

Can't get any more tryhard than 'Infinity'.

>HMS Royal Sovereign
>HMS Princess Royal
>HMS Duke of York
>HMS Iron Duke
>HMS Royal Oak
>not cool names
The Krauts had some good names as well

Not really; the only one that's ok is forward unto dawn.
Granted I'm not good at naming things, but those names aren't that creative.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spacecraft_in_the_Culture_series

Step aside lads.

They don't even fit a common theme

>The Mistake Not… is a one-off design of indeterminate classification, whose capabilities remain secret but which is a highly capable warship. It identifies itself as Ue, for Unit (eccentric/erratic); less coyly designated in the book's appendix as OU/e. Its full name, which is a private joke amongst other Culture Minds and almost never used, is the Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.

> These ships obtained their names as a result of another (unnamed) Involved civilisation criticizing Culture ship naming policy, claiming that such powerful ships ought to have names with a little more gravitas.

>Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
>Gravitas, What Gravitas?
>Gravitas... Gravitas... No, Don't Help Me, I'll Get It In A Moment...
>Gravitas Free Zone
>Low Gravitas Warning Signal
>Absolutely No You-Know-What

>Nervous Energy
>Irregular Apocalypse
>Trade Surplus
>No More Mr Nice Guy
>Thank You And Goodnight

what the FUCK am I reading and why does anyone think this is pinnacle of ship naming conventions

>No just no
Do people still talk like Chris Hardwick?

What is wrong with those names?

Because it's kinda random and therefore funny.

I always liked the names. It seems like they were named after a line of poetry or something.

I love big ships.

They are massive sentient worldships with populations of billions and piloted by superintelligent AIs with hulls covered in oceans and continents.

The fact that a Culture ship would name itself something like

>GSV Anticipation of a New Lover's Arrival, The

Is so the other societies they visit don't fucking shit themselves when they see it coming

Don't forget best of them all in my opinion - HMS Warspite

She matched her look in name too.

Cortana, all I need to know is did we lose them?

Realism is secondary to aesthetics in most fictional spaceship designs.

I like them because they all look like they cared more about function than looks. Btw spaceships don't actually need to be aerodynamic

>Trade Surplus

A country has a trade surplus when it's exports are greater than it's imports.

It's a clever way of saying "Whatever you send at me, you're going to get a whole lot more of it sent at you."

Thats not 40k you double heretics

This. 40k had the best ships. Eat microcannon barrage if you like that typical faggy looking futuristic crap.

>W-What if we took like... A church... and put it in space!

Fuck no, if anything it's some of the worsts designs by far.

Somebody on /tg/ made a calculation and Halo ships would absolutely shit on 40k ships in a fight because whoever wrote the specifications for Halo railguns (MAC guns, I believe) had no concept of physics so the numbers are ludicrously huge.

*tib tib*

>we will never get Ship to Ship space battles in Halo

Bet you think plastic garbage like in Mass Effect or floating doritos from Star Wars is okay you fag.

Both halo and 40k have a bunch of different writers writing completely different numbers in a bunch of different books and none of them understand any of it, I think what your talking about is one of the older books which put mac guns on launching 600 tons shells at .50c.

Play Sins of The Prophets

Your sense of aesthetic needs to be confronted with the larger world if you think halo designs for ANYTHING were amazing.

I hate the imperial ships, Necrons are where it's at.

Pillar of Autumn is the undisputed best type (Halcyon class I think?) of ship from Halo

>lol you guys are some HeretikZ
40k was a mistake
It's all a joke meme by the creators, it's never meant to be taken seriously

Any competent military would laugh their ass off at those retarded ship names.
There is absolutely no naming convention.
They literally just picked Steven Seagal movie titles.

US navy ships follow the conventions that the biggest ones are named after states or territories, then smaller ones are named after rivers, with specialized ships like submarines being named after fish or someshit like that.

Now imagine if they just let the generals kid pick a name he thinks sounds badass.
How can you take that seriously?